Offering to pay for membership for friend (not a family member)?

 IronHitter ·  
IronHitterIronHitter  91WRX Points: 28Members Posts: 91 Bunkers
Joined:  in Courses, Memberships and Travel #1

Thoughts on this? Noticed the threads mentioning the costs involved. I was wondering how the less well off financially of you would feel if someone offered to buy you membership for your local course? Or anyone's thoughts really. Feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Posted:
1

Comments

  • MtlJeffMtlJeff Montreal 29336WRX Points: 2,242Handicap: 0.0Members Posts: 29,336 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #2

    Probably depends on too many factors to really answer . Relationship to the person, how rich you are, how less well off they are, different personalities of both people etc...

    If when I was 23 making an entry level salary, I had a buddy who was like an NHL player or internet millionaire, and they wanted to buy me a membership so we can play together I'm sure i would have been fine with it.

    Many other situations maybe I'd be a bit less fine with it, or even be offended by it. So many variables

    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/DG 300
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2.0 PM 60
    SGC NorthWood CS 400g 
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • FergusonFerguson  5677WRX Points: 2,964Handicap: 6.8Members Posts: 5,677 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #3

    I need some tires on my car - would love to have someone help me out?

    Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 20399WRX Points: 4,328ClubWRX Posts: 20,399 ClubWRX
    Joined:  edited Apr 26, 2019 #4

    Who knows in the tangled morass of interpersonal relationships - in general, seems odd.

    Posted:
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff Montreal 29336WRX Points: 2,242Handicap: 0.0Members Posts: 29,336 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Apr 26, 2019 #5

    On -, @Hawkeye77 said:

    Who knows in the tangled morass of interpersonal relationships - in general, seems odd.

    Shout out on the use of "tangled morass"

    The only thing I want out of my interpersonal relationships is more-a*s.

    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/DG 300
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2.0 PM 60
    SGC NorthWood CS 400g 
  • FergusonFerguson  5677WRX Points: 2,964Handicap: 6.8Members Posts: 5,677 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #6

    On -, @Hawkeye77 said:

    Who knows in the tangled morass of interpersonal relationships - in general, seems odd.

    I once had a general try to tangle with me a church dance. I said, "no way buddy, sir."

    Posted:
  • IronHitterIronHitter  91WRX Points: 28Members Posts: 91 Bunkers
    Joined:  #7

    On -, @Hawkeye77 said:

    Who knows in the tangled morass of interpersonal relationships - in general, seems odd.

    You say that, but in a life you live once and could be dead tomorrow is it really “odd”. Especially when he can’t afford a membership and I can afford one for us both.

    MtlJeff. Good post and understand the points he doesn’t earn enough to justify buying a membership compared to using it towards house, family and living. I personally would be happy if anyone got me a membership (unless they were broke). I’m an easy going person though

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • umassgolferumassgolfer  860WRX Points: 184Members Posts: 860 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #8

    Not exactly what you're asking for, but I have a buddy who belonged to a private club well before any of the rest of our group could consider it. Their guest policy was something like 30 or 40 guest rounds/year included in dues and then about $100 for guest play thereafter, with per-guest limit of like 10 or 15 rounds per year, but very loosely tracked. And, we were in an area where the real golf season is like 7-8 months a year.

    I assume that's much more generous than a lot of clubs. But - there were 3 or 4 of us who played together regularly since HS. We were mostly weekend afternoon or weekday twilight golfers. He would have us out pretty regularly. If his year's guest rounds were exhausted, he would rarely let us pay him back - since he wanted to play with us and the alternative was him paying to play a course he didn't like as much. Obviously we'd buy him dinner, make him our first +1 whenever we had cool invites, etc.

    I guess what I'm saying is that if the member wants to play with the non-member badly enough, there may be ways other than buying a separate membership to accomplish that goal, unless you're looking to play a ton or not always with each other.

    Posted:
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed Michigan 3705WRX Points: 440ClubWRX Posts: 3,705 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #9

    If I was going to do so (big if here) I would probably offer to buy the membership as a loan and ask he pay me back whenever he could... knowing of course that I might not ever see it all.

    Posted:
  • tatertottatertot  4609WRX Points: 920Members Posts: 4,609 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #10

    Tell him you "won" a guest membership in a raffle.

    Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Ping Mascot
  • raynorfan1raynorfan1  3825WRX Points: 347Members Posts: 3,825 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #11

    I did this for a friend several years ago. In the end, it didn't work as hoped because the ancillary costs of membership (food, bar, tournament fees, etc.) were sufficiently out of his price range that he really didn't participate much.

    Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area. 25291WRX Points: 2,348Handicap: 2 ManyClubWRX Posts: 25,291 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #12

    No good deed ever goes unpunished.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 20399WRX Points: 4,328ClubWRX Posts: 20,399 ClubWRX
    Joined:  edited Apr 26, 2019 #13

    On -, @IronHitter said:

    On -, @Hawkeye77 said:

    Who knows in the tangled morass of interpersonal relationships - in general, seems odd.

    You say that, but in a life you live once and could be dead tomorrow is it really “odd”. Especially when he can’t afford a membership and I can afford one for us both.

    Okay, next time I'll try and guess what answer you want when you ask for "anyone's thoughts" and type the response that you are looking for.

    Posted:
  • BB28403BB28403  4274WRX Points: 747Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Members Posts: 4,274 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Apr 27, 2019 #14

    On -, @Hawkeye77 said:

    Who knows in the tangled morass of interpersonal relationships - in general, seems odd.

    Hawkeye c’mon man. I know we’re close. Help a brother out. Haha

    On a serious note. I’ve helped people out of hard times before. A few times and 9/10 they take advantage of you. I guess it is human nature? Still, it feels good to give .

    Posted:
  • BMCBMC  3814WRX Points: 765Handicap: YESMembers Posts: 3,814 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #15

    Give it to him on his birthday. It's a gift. Feel good about giving. I admire the OP for his generosity.

    Posted:
    Titleist 917D2
    Cleveland Launcher 13*
    Adams Pro Mini Hybrid 20*
    PING i25 irons 4-UW
    Callaway 56 SW
    Odyssey 1WS putter
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook  838WRX Points: 323Members Posts: 838 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #16

    several years back , bought the nephew a season pass so he could play in our permanent tee time group at a local course.
    the rules were that all four players had to pay the sign up fee and had to have either a full unlimited or twenty play deal to get in. myself and the others had the full unlimited which was kind of pricey. the twenty play package allowed him to get out on the weekends with us.
    he was about twenty two and just couldn't manage it - life is short and sometimes you pave the way for others.

    Posted:
    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

    when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • carreracarrera Northern California 2625WRX Points: 189Members Posts: 2,625 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #17

    I've got to admit, I have been around for a long time and I have never heard of someone buying a membership at a course/club for a friend as described above. Just take him/her as a guest up until you hit the club maximum (and in these days, if you hit that maximum and want to take your friend as a guest - paying guest fees -several more times, most clubs would gladly take your $$$).
    I couldn't imagine buying a membership for a friend...YMMV.

    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour Length - Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
    Cobra F9 14.5 - Atmos Blue Stiff
    Callaway Epic Hybrid - Recoil 780 stiff
    TM790 - Steelfiber R 4-UW
    Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
    TM Spider Tour
    Srixon Z-Star
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • BB28403BB28403  4274WRX Points: 747Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Members Posts: 4,274 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Apr 28, 2019 #18

    On -, @carrera said:

    I've got to admit, I have been around for a long time and I have never heard of someone buying a membership at a course/club for a friend as described above. Just take him/her as a guest up until you hit the club maximum (and in these days, if you hit that maximum and want to take your friend as a guest - paying guest fees -several more times, most clubs would gladly take your $$$).
    I couldn't imagine buying a membership for a friend...YMMV.

    Not to pigeon hole anyone. But I am seeing this a lot with the Millennials. They don’t move out till they are in their 30’s! 😱😱
    Of course there are some who have a good work ethic. I think our country is just harder on people these days. And they weigh their options and think, what the heck?! I’ll stay home!

    Posted:
  • Aaronwilson_95Aaronwilson_95  914WRX Points: 125Members Posts: 914 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #19

    If you have a nice relationship with your parents and enjoy their time and don’t see any real reason not to live at home (wife family etc ) I have no personal issues with anyone doing so. I love my parents and gladly would live with them even if I’m paying rent .

    On -, @BB28403 said:

    On -, @carrera said:

    I've got to admit, I have been around for a long time and I have never heard of someone buying a membership at a course/club for a friend as described above. Just take him/her as a guest up until you hit the club maximum (and in these days, if you hit that maximum and want to take your friend as a guest - paying guest fees -several more times, most clubs would gladly take your $$$).
    I couldn't imagine buying a membership for a friend...YMMV.

    Not to pigeon hole anyone. But I am seeing this a lot with the Millennials. They don’t move out till they are in their 30’s! 😱😱
    Of course there are some who have a good work ethic. I think our country is just harder on people these days. And they weigh their options and think, what the heck?! I’ll stay home!

    Posted:
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War  3452WRX Points: 522Members Posts: 3,452 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #20

    this makes me feel better. I am currently giving my GF 500$ a month as she studies for her license exams. it's pretty much the same. She is a good friend after all (Lol)

    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST Oban Devotion 06/Ozik F6M2
    Cobra LTD PRO /Ozik TP6HD/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 

    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    Cobra F6 Baffler
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Mizuno MP20 HMB 120x 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • KillerPenguinKillerPenguin  591WRX Points: 139Members Posts: 591 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #21

    On -, @Aaronwilson_95 said:

    If you have a nice relationship with your parents and enjoy their time and don’t see any real reason not to live at home (wife family etc ) I have no personal issues with anyone doing so. I love my parents and gladly would live with them even if I’m paying rent .

    On -, @BB28403 said:

    On -, @carrera said:

    I've got to admit, I have been around for a long time and I have never heard of someone buying a membership at a course/club for a friend as described above. Just take him/her as a guest up until you hit the club maximum (and in these days, if you hit that maximum and want to take your friend as a guest - paying guest fees -several more times, most clubs would gladly take your $$$).
    I couldn't imagine buying a membership for a friend...YMMV.

    Not to pigeon hole anyone. But I am seeing this a lot with the Millennials. They don’t move out till they are in their 30’s! 😱😱
    Of course there are some who have a good work ethic. I think our country is just harder on people these days. And they weigh their options and think, what the heck?! I’ll stay home!

    I'm right on the cut between millenial and Gen Z, but I was always raised to assume I'd move out at 18, college or otherwise, and I did so. Other than two summers during college, I've never moved back in with my parents. However, as I've gotten to know people from other countries (and even just from Hawaii), I've discovered that assumption isn't widely held across the globe. Sure, in developing countries, you'd expect it, but even well-to-do folks I knew had their well-to-do unmarried children live with them until marriage (and often afterwards too). Just a different way of looking at things. So long as the kid's not a mooch and not stunting his or her emotional growth (and the parents are happy with the arrangement), I don't see it as a problem to be fixed.

    Finally, as to the OP's question, if I'm good enough friends with someone to even consider making this gift, I'm good enough friends to discuss it with my buddy. The last thing you want is to make what is supposed to be a heartfelt gift into a financial anchor. I make a what I think most Americans would consider a very good living, and I'd still struggle to pay all of the other fees associated with a membership at nice club so unless you're willing to pay the whole enchilada, don't be surprised if he turns you down. Good luck and bless you for your generosity.

    Posted:
  • BB28403BB28403  4274WRX Points: 747Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Members Posts: 4,274 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #22

    On -, @Man_O_War said:

    this makes me feel better. I am currently giving my GF 500$ a month as she studies for her license exams. it's pretty much the same. She is a good friend after all (Lol)

    Yeah, best advice I have for you is to just say that money is an investment in her as a person. And if it were me , I would say “that money is gone forever” and not even worry about it at all. Whatever you do, do not get into fights about it or hold it over her head. That is not healthy. Anyway, good luck to you both!

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War  3452WRX Points: 522Members Posts: 3,452 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #23

    On -, @BB28403 said:

    On -, @Man_O_War said:

    this makes me feel better. I am currently giving my GF 500$ a month as she studies for her license exams. it's pretty much the same. She is a good friend after all (Lol)

    Yeah, best advice I have for you is to just say that money is an investment in her as a person. And if it were me , I would say “that money is gone forever” and not even worry about it at all. Whatever you do, do not get into fights about it or hold it over her head. That is not healthy. Anyway, good luck to you both!

    truly appreciate that!!!

    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST Oban Devotion 06/Ozik F6M2
    Cobra LTD PRO /Ozik TP6HD/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 

    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    Cobra F6 Baffler
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Mizuno MP20 HMB 120x 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • cristphotocristphoto  3635WRX Points: 276Members Posts: 3,635 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #24

    On -, @IronHitter said:

    Thoughts on this? Noticed the threads mentioning the costs involved. I was wondering how the less well off financially of you would feel if someone offered to buy you membership for your local course? Or anyone's thoughts really. Feedback appreciated. Thanks.

    Are you talking about just paying the initiation or continually paying the monthly dues? If you are paying dues also what if he starts running up some large bills? It might stress your friendship. I knew a member that was related to someone in our clubs office and he got in with no initiation but paid the required dues. He admitted that he always felt a bit odd about being a member. Does the person you want to help actually want to be a member?

    Posted:
  • IronHitterIronHitter  91WRX Points: 28Members Posts: 91 Bunkers
    Joined:  #25

    Sorry to confuse everyone, but it's a lump sum payment for membership of under $1000 with no joining fee. Then he gets to play 7 days per week without paying the green fees.

    If he wanted to get food or buy anything in the pro shop etc he would be paying for that - not me.

    Hope that makes more sense now I forgot how expensive a lot of courses are in the states to join and play at.

    Posted:
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy  852WRX Points: 249Handicap: 9Members Posts: 852 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #26

    Without knowing the situation, I would just say to never underestimate people’s ability to take advantage of your kindness, and end up making you angry (or worse, creating a rift in the friendship).

    I have an immediate family member whom I’ve given to in certain situations, and the intent always seems to be good, etc etc. Yet they will go and do something incredibly stupid or insensitive with the gift, or worse...the gift ends up having the opposite effect I intended.

    Anyway, I’ve learned the hard way to never mix money with family/friends. It just invites too many potential issues.

    Posted:
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • teejaywhyteejaywhy Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon  7243WRX Points: 263Members Posts: 7,243 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #27

    On -, @Ferguson said:

    I need some tires on my car - would love to have someone help me out?

    I'm almost done with mine. You are welcome to them.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 20399WRX Points: 4,328ClubWRX Posts: 20,399 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #28

    On -, @MtlJeff said:

    On -, @Hawkeye77 said:

    Who knows in the tangled morass of interpersonal relationships - in general, seems odd.

    Shout out on the use of "tangled morass"

    The only thing I want out of my interpersonal relationships is more-a*s.

    “Tangled” has a classic vibe.

    Posted:
  • CDMCDM  1969WRX Points: 244Members Posts: 1,969 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #29

    Fine .. I will take the membership. Please make it to here http://www.taraiti.com/ =)

    Posted:
  • IronHitterIronHitter  91WRX Points: 28Members Posts: 91 Bunkers
    Joined:  #30

    On -, @LeftDaddy said:

    Without knowing the situation, I would just say to never underestimate people’s ability to take advantage of your kindness, and end up making you angry (or worse, creating a rift in the friendship).

    I have an immediate family member whom I’ve given to in certain situations, and the intent always seems to be good, etc etc. Yet they will go and do something incredibly stupid or insensitive with the gift, or worse...the gift ends up having the opposite effect I intended.

    Anyway, I’ve learned the hard way to never mix money with family/friends. It just invites too many potential issues.

    You may well be right. I never mentioned it to him and he seems interested in purchasing it himself now.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • payerasjlpayerasjl  829WRX Points: 95Members Posts: 829 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #31

    Its all about how appreciative and genuine of a friend he is. If 1k doesnt break a sweat for you but will provide you the playing partner you want and help create good memories, go for it.

    Posted:
    CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    Get scratch or die trying

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.