Yellow vs White - any different feel in the same brand?

Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,247 ✭✭
edited Apr 27, 2019 11:57am in Golf Balls #1

In some cases, I find the yellow version vs white doesn't feel as good. I have seen this with Duo's, 50 elites and now QST's. I love the yellow color. But, I prefer in some cases the better feel of white. Any one seen this or am I overthinking it?

Comments

• Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members Posts: 6,288 ✭✭

I play Srixon Z Star.

I find zero difference in the feel of the yellow or white. I do prefer the yellow for visibility.

X________________________________
    Sign Here

• MPSgolfsMPSgolfs Members Posts: 76 ✭✭

I have played played a few brands in yellow and white. No difference in feel, and I do like the increased visibility of yellow. But looking at the ball at address, I haven't been able to get used to yellow, and don't foresee it happening any time soon.

• MahamiltoMahamilto NYCMembers Posts: 1,927 ✭✭

While the difference is most likely in your head, there was extensive talk from Titleist about having to ensure their yellow ProV1 played identical to the white; so clearly the formulation of the pigment (at least in the urethane balls) is important.

That said, I have never seen or felt any significant difference in the yellow vs. white Z-Stars or chrome soft balls I've played.

Titleist TS3 - 9.75* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5 (D1 Setting, STD Fade)
    Titleist 917F2 - 15*, Diamana S+ LTD 80TX (B1 Setting, 16g Fade)
    Titleist 818 H1 - 19*, Tensei Pro White 90TX (B1 Setting, 12g Fade)
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4-iron - KBS C-Taper 130x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-9-iron - DG AMT x100
    Titleist 718 AP2 PW, 50* - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM7 55* S-Grind - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM2 59.12* - DG Tour Issue x100
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Bridgestone Tour BX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
  • halliedoghalliedog Members Posts: 2,381 ✭✭

I think the yellow AVX has a different feel, at least with the "fingernail test". I don't notice any real difference in play-ability, but they definitely feel firmer/slicker in hand. Haven't tried colors in any other brands.

WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
  • IcemanYVRIcemanYVR Amateur Vancouver, BCMembers Posts: 1,115 ✭✭
    edited Apr 28, 2019 2:33am #6

Following this thread as I'm on the cusp of switching to yellow balls for ease of tracking/finding. Aging is **** on the eyes.

Titleist 905R 9.5° | Callaway Diable Octane Tour 15° | Callaway Hawkeye VFT 18° | Mizuno JPX-825 4-PW | Cleveland RTX-3 54 | Cleveland RTX-3 60 | Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 Studio Select | Titleist PRO V1
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,344 ✭✭

The only time I've noticed a difference was when I played the Wilson Duo. The yellow felt firmer.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,297 ✭✭

I agree with OP. Almost all balls that I've played (including Z Star) had difference, at least on 'fingernail' tests. Yellow balls do not usually have that 'stickiness' I love with white Urethane balls.

One exception to this is new Snell MTB-X yellow. It feels 99.99% like the white urethane cover. and its yellow is great.

• Twism86Twism86 Members Posts: 414 ✭✭

My furthest drive and only hole out from the sand this year have come with a yellow ball, so they must be better!

TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • crazygolfnutcrazygolfnut CrazyGolfNut Members Posts: 1,177 ✭✭

They feel the same to me. I also see the yellow a lot better than the white.

• Driver: ________ Ping G400 Max
    • Woods: _______ Ping G410 3 & 5 woods
    • Hybrids: ______ Titleist 818H1 21* & 25*
    • Irons: _________ Titleist 718 AP1 6-W
    • Wedges: ______ Titleist Vokey SM6 52.08F & 56.08M
    • Putter: ________ Rife Mid Mallet 400
    • Ball: ___________ Still looking Yellow
    • Bag: ___________ Datrek Lite Rider
    • GPS: ___________ Bushnell NEO Ghost
    • Rangefinder: __ Precision Pro NX7
    • GHIN: _________ HCP floats between 10 and 12

“Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips”
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,132 ✭✭

@Twism86 said:
    My furthest drive and only hole out from the sand this year have come with a yellow ball, so they must be better!

If by "hole out" you mean "got out of the bunker on the first try" then yeah, I've had exactly the same experience ;-)

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Pieter PPieter P Members Posts: 86 ✭✭

Playing the yellow Pro V1 - love the colour, and it feels different and better than the white for me - probably psychologic nonsense.
    Slightly off topic - played in Townsville (380 km from home) recently, and was warned not to play a yellow ball by the locals - the crows take yellow balls an fly away.
    Had to borrow from a sleeve from a mate as the local pro shop did not stock the new model yet.

I found a (white) Pro V1 on the course last week and played it for a few holes instead of my usual (yellow) Pro V1x. I couldn't even hear or feel any difference between Pro V1 and Pro V1x so no surprise I can't tell a difference between colors!

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers Posts: 100 ✭✭

@IcemanYVR said:
    Following this thread as I'm on the cusp of switching to yellow balls for ease of tracking/finding. Aging is **** on the eyes.

Good call Iceman. The colour makes for easy spotting off the fairway, which is the primary reason I switched like 4 years ago. I just like being different too!

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G400 9.5
    Taylor Made M4 3-wood(recently destroyed)
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood

• golfbuddygolfbuddy Members Posts: 229 ✭✭

@lawsonman said:
    The only time I've noticed a difference was when I played the Wilson Duo. The yellow felt firmer.

Same experience with me. The first yellow Duo did not feel the same as the original white Duo. That was a while back and now the new yellow Duo with matte finish feels and performs fine for me.

• DMartiniDMartini NZMembers Posts: 35 ✭✭

i have found a yellow TM Burner Soft & Aeroburner Pro at my local before, have a couple of white BS & APs in the shag bag also, so to me the yellow version of that ball felt unusual of my irons & wedges, almost more firm than white (guess its that weird sparkle pigment in the cover).
    i have a sleeve of Project A in yellow & a white sleeve, both feel the same ... nice of the club faces (the yellow PA doesnt have the sparkle pigment like the entry level TM balls)
    in saying that the Callaway Chrome Soft, which i have white, yellow, tru vis white/red & tru vis yellow/black feel the same to me.

• Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,247 ✭✭
    edited Jun 2, 2019 12:02pm #17

Maybe, it's in my head, the Srixon QST yellow and white look and feel different. As DMartini said, there's sparkle in some yellow balls, certainly the case with the QST Yellow vs White. The white feels better.

• jwb10jwb10 Major Winner MarsMembers Posts: 946 ✭✭

@Tanner25 said:
    In some cases, I find the yellow version vs white doesn't feel as good. I have seen this with Duo's, 50 elites and now QST's. I love the yellow color. But, I prefer in some cases the better feel of white. Any one seen this or am I overthinking it?

NOPE

• Boydr12Boydr12 Members Posts: 993 ✭✭

No differences in feel whatsoever. But I am starting to think the yellow Pro V1’s that I have started gaming are more durable. Could be a matter of not seeing scuffs as well on the yellow ball, or could be that I hadn’t played a pro v in a few years before the switch. Either way, I’m very impressed with the durability I have seen in the yellow pro v’s

• Lancj1Lancj1 Members Posts: 900 ✭✭

Its quite clear that the yellow paint used in Bubba's ball is Tour paint, and will be faster/higher compression. Yellow is clearly a faster cover to start with, but that tour yellow!! I believe thats the real reason he dropped Volvik. The pink paint was too fast even for Bubba.

I'm sorry. but........

G Max Driver, Tour 65 Stiff
    G400 3 & 5 Woods Alta CB Reg
    G400 2,3,4,5 Hybrids Alta CB Reg
    G410 Irons, 6-U, Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Glide Stealth 54 (SS) & 58 (WS) Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Ping Sigma 2 Valor, Stealth

Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.
  • jgallant415jgallant415 ClubWRX Posts: 280 ClubWRX

@Boydr12 said:
    No differences in feel whatsoever. But I am starting to think the yellow Pro V1’s that I have started gaming are more durable. Could be a matter of not seeing scuffs as well on the yellow ball, or could be that I hadn’t played a pro v in a few years before the switch. Either way, I’m very impressed with the durability I have seen in the yellow pro v’s

Definitely agree with you on the durability point. I switched to the yellow this year, and have been very surprised with how well the finish holds up. Played 18 holes with one yesterday (rare for me to not lose a ball all round), hitting at least 2 trees, bouncing on one cart path, and spending plenty of time in the sand and saw no noticeable damage to the cover.

• n_ronesn_rones New YorkMembers Posts: 542 ✭✭

I've played a couple rounds with the yellow Pro V1s now and im absolutely loving them. If i didn't have so many white balls laying around i would order up another couple dozen yellows.

Srixon Z785 9.5° HC HZRDUS Black 6.5 75
    Srixon F85 15° GD Tour AD DI-6s
    Srixon Z H85 19° Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 85
    Srixon Z565 4 iron KBS Tour FLT S
    Srixon Z745 5-PW KBS Tour R+
    Srixon Z745 A Wedge KBS Tour Custom Black 
    Titleist Vokey SM4 54°
    Taylormade HI-Toe 58°
    Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5 Stability Shaft

I found a white Pro V1x in the rough last week. Out of curiosity I played it for nine holes just to see if I could tell a difference in sound or “feel” compared to the yellow ones I’ve been using. Gotta say there’s just nothing in it. Exactly the same sound, feel and performance for the two colors.

But OMG that white one was so much harder to see! I think my eyes must have gotten much worse over the two years or so I’ve been playing exclusively yellow golf balls. Probably need a trip to the eye doctor or something

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members Posts: 6,288 ✭✭

@North Butte said:

But OMG that white one was so much harder to see! I think my eyes must have gotten much worse over the two years or so I’ve been playing exclusively yellow golf balls. Probably need a trip to the eye doctor or something

I could see like an owl until my 40th birthday, then the reading glasses were needed, just about every year, I would need to increase the power level. 20 years later, I'm into full bifocals. Getting old sux.

I'm a fan of the yellow! (and yeah, your eyes have changed, go see the eye guy.)

X________________________________
    Sign Here

• adkleeadklee Members Posts: 64 ✭✭

Last year's Srixon XV yellow version felt firmer than the white, IMO. Haven't tried this year's yellow versions yet.
    The yellow balls definitely help visibility when hunting for wayward balls in the woods...