2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Want more spin with Srixons

Tree Levino

Picked up a set of 765 for cheap that are absolutely mint. I played them today and was blown away by how good they feel. There was a good amount of wind and I didn’t have a chance to get to the range with them first so I was guessing on distances but they seem to be spinning quite low. I was hitting them pretty silly distances. A good club and a half longer than my ap2. Into the breeze was obviously not an issue but downwind I had probably 5 or 6 shots that would have been GIRs with Ap2 but these just rolled right over the back. Has anyone bent theirs 2 degrees weak? I’m thinking that should get the spin in line with ap2. Love the turf interaction, butter soft feel, look at address and everything else about them but I want more control. I got them with KBS tour thinking they would spin enough as is but hitting 175 yard 8 irons is a bit much for me.

Anybody play theirs weak? Great irons

I've had similar experience with my Z765s after switching from 714 AP2s.

They are long, and forgiving, but don't spin much. I also have the tendency to nuke one on occasion that I thought was struck just right -- sometimes 15+ yards longer than expected.

I'm considering going back to AP2s or trying CBs. Hadn't considered bending them, as I hit them pretty high already (DG300 shafts).

Titleist TSR3 9* (+1, neutral), Ventus Red TR 6X

Callaway X2Hot pro 3Deep 14* with Aldila Tour Green 75 S

Titleist T200 3i and 4i, Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist T100 (2020) 5-PW, Project X Precision 6.0

PXG Sugar Daddy 50, 54, 58

Taylor Made Spider

My stock answer is get fit... shafts might make a huge difference. I was all over the place with spin in different shafts and had some odd jumps... extra stuff spun more than stiff shafts most of the time, for instance.

My next question is what sort of ball flight are you playing? If you are hitting a draw, a fade can add spin.

The easiest change would be moving to a higher spinning ball.

I’m pretty sold on the getting fit front, but you have to find wits who actually want to put you in the best club possible.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Have been fit before and the KBS has worked in every head I’ve tried it in. It’s the shaft I go to if I’m unsure. Could’ve just been the day. These are almost a club strong of the Mizuno blades I used to play and are 2 degrees stronger than ap2. I was overspinning AP2. Agree on the fade. I was playing pro v1x.

I’d try them a couple more rounds and then bend them... maybe try a higher spinning ball just for craps and giggles... Kirkland are cheap!

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

> @balls_deep said:

> Have been fit before and the KBS has worked in every head I’ve tried it in. It’s the shaft I go to if I’m unsure. Could’ve just been the day. These are almost a club strong of the Mizuno blades I used to play and are 2 degrees stronger than ap2. I was overspinning AP2. Agree on the fade. I was playing pro v1x.

I was a s300 guy and those shafts abd the 545 and 745 were not a fit. Sometime our normal shafts don’t always work.

> @balls_deep said:

> Picked up a set of 765 for cheap that are absolutely mint. I played them today and was blown away by how good they feel. There was a good amount of wind and I didn’t have a chance to get to the range with them first so I was guessing on distances but they seem to be spinning quite low. I was hitting them pretty silly distances. A good club and a half longer than my ap2. Into the breeze was obviously not an issue but downwind I had probably 5 or 6 shots that would have been GIRs with Ap2 but these just rolled right over the back. Has anyone bent theirs 2 degrees weak? I’m thinking that should get the spin in line with ap2. Love the turf interaction, butter soft feel, look at address and everything else about them but I want more control. I got them with KBS tour thinking they would spin enough as is but hitting 175 yard 8 irons is a bit much for me.

>

> Anybody play theirs weak? Great irons

175yd 8 irons. That'l do for me.

Most reviews I’ve seen, TXG in particular, everyone seems to note that 7 series Srixons are lower spin than most other forged cavity irons

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

> @Malc said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > Picked up a set of 765 for cheap that are absolutely mint. I played them today and was blown away by how good they feel. There was a good amount of wind and I didn’t have a chance to get to the range with them first so I was guessing on distances but they seem to be spinning quite low. I was hitting them pretty silly distances. A good club and a half longer than my ap2. Into the breeze was obviously not an issue but downwind I had probably 5 or 6 shots that would have been GIRs with Ap2 but these just rolled right over the back. Has anyone bent theirs 2 degrees weak? I’m thinking that should get the spin in line with ap2. Love the turf interaction, butter soft feel, look at address and everything else about them but I want more control. I got them with KBS tour thinking they would spin enough as is but hitting 175 yard 8 irons is a bit much for me.

> >

> > Anybody play theirs weak? Great irons

>

> 175yd 8 irons. That'l do for me.

You need the ball to stop though!

> @COL_B said:

> I've had similar experience with my Z765s after switching from 714 AP2s.

> They are long, and forgiving, but don't spin much. I also have the tendency to nuke one on occasion that I thought was struck just right -- sometimes 15+ yards longer than expected.

>

> I'm considering going back to AP2s or trying CBs. Hadn't considered bending them, as I hit them pretty high already (DG300 shafts).

That's the thing.. I LOVE how they go through the turf (my miss can be a little fat and these seem to help that a crazy amount - everything was coming off pure) they look amazing, they feel INCREDIBLE out the screws, and they're silly forgiving. Just a touch more spin and these could be unicorns. Might try a chromesoft as I tend to overspin those and maybe bend them weak. The PW was fine I just feel like the I want to bend the rest 1 weak at least.

I'm on my third season with a combo set of 565s and 765s. I've noticed in the 565s (4-5) the added 15 yards every once in a while with a nutted shot, but the 765s (6-PW) always seem to stop on a dime and backspin on greens. I was fitted for Nippon N.S. Pro 950 GH DST shafts, instead of the KBS's though. But I've loved everything about my Srixon Zs.

> @Scooper5 said:

> I'm on my third season with a combo set of 565s and 765s. I've noticed in the 565s (4-5) the added 15 yards every once in a while with a nutted shot, but the 765s (6-PW) always seem to stop on a dime and backspin on greens. I was fitted for **Nippon N.S. Pro 950 GH DST shafts,** instead of the KBS's though. But I've loved everything about my Srixon Zs.

I think that those are higher launching, spinnier shafts.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @gvogel said:

> > @Scooper5 said:

> > I'm on my third season with a combo set of 565s and 765s. I've noticed in the 565s (4-5) the added 15 yards every once in a while with a nutted shot, but the 765s (6-PW) always seem to stop on a dime and backspin on greens. I was fitted for **Nippon N.S. Pro 950 GH DST shafts,** instead of the KBS's though. But I've loved everything about my Srixon Zs.

>

> I think that those are higher launching, spinnier shafts.

Yeah. I really dislike lightweight shafts. The KBS usually give a nice combo of distance height and stopping power at a good weight.

This makes me want a set of the 765! I’m a spin monster

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

> @Myherobobhope said:

> This makes me want a set of the 765! I’m a spin monster

Yeah and the blades spin even less from tests I’ve seen. I wanted less than the AP2 and I got it haha. You should try them outdoors. The turf interaction is what sets them apart. Butter endo forging too.

• Like 1

Ha... I got fit into mizuno hot metal pros last Friday... I’m looking forward to seeing how my specs perform on grass... I was still over 7000 rpm in my lowest spinning setup... didn’t try blades or srixon... wish I had tried the srixon! Just ordered a pitching wedge, so I can change my mind.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

> @Myherobobhope said:

> Ha... I got fit into mizuno hot metal pros last Friday... I’m looking forward to seeing how my specs perform on grass... I was still over 7000 rpm in my lowest spinning setup... didn’t try blades or srixon... wish I had tried the srixon! Just ordered a pitching wedge, so I can change my mind.

Definitely try them. Tons of distance and one of the softest forgings I’ve hit.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @Myherobobhope said:

> > Ha... I got fit into mizuno hot metal pros last Friday... I’m looking forward to seeing how my specs perform on grass... I was still over 7000 rpm in my lowest spinning setup... didn’t try blades or srixon... wish I had tried the srixon! Just ordered a pitching wedge, so I can change my mind.

>

> Definitely try them. Tons of distance and one of the softest forgings I’ve hit.

Will do! If I could just order standard spec clubs I’d have a garage full of clubs... the place I ordered my mizuno from carries srixon, so I might try whatever they have on hand.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

> @Myherobobhope said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @Myherobobhope said:

> > > Ha... I got fit into mizuno hot metal pros last Friday... I’m looking forward to seeing how my specs perform on grass... I was still over 7000 rpm in my lowest spinning setup... didn’t try blades or srixon... wish I had tried the srixon! Just ordered a pitching wedge, so I can change my mind.

> >

> > Definitely try them. Tons of distance and one of the softest forgings I’ve hit.

>

> Will do! If I could just order standard spec clubs I’d have a garage full of clubs... the place I ordered my mizuno from carries srixon, so I might try whatever they have on hand.

>

>

Just make sure to try them outside. I liked them off the mat but they came alive outdoors. I think the loft change should fix stuff up. I’d rather have to hit a bunch than have to work to get one high and spinny. Should be great for you.

Yeah I saw that. Into the wind I feel like those could be a mess. Thing with the 765 is I feel like the 46 PW is spot on for distance and it stops on a dime. It’s a 5 degree gap to the 9 so I might just weaken the 4-9 one degree and see how that works. Part of it is just getting used to the set. If I have 180 yard carry I usually hit a 5. Yesterday I had 183 to the pin with the ball slightly above my feet. I choked up a half inch on my 5 and made great contact. Carried it 200 at least and was way at the back of a very deep green. I could’ve got a 7 there which is a massive change for me.

> @balls_deep said:

> Picked up a set of 765 for cheap that are absolutely mint. I played them today and was blown away by how good they feel. There was a good amount of wind and I didn’t have a chance to get to the range with them first so I was guessing on distances but they seem to be spinning quite low. I was hitting them pretty silly distances. A good club and a half longer than my ap2. Into the breeze was obviously not an issue but downwind I had probably 5 or 6 shots that would have been GIRs with Ap2 but these just rolled right over the back. Has anyone bent theirs 2 degrees weak? I’m thinking that should get the spin in line with ap2. Love the turf interaction, butter soft feel, look at address and everything else about them but I want more control. I got them with KBS tour thinking they would spin enough as is but hitting 175 yard 8 irons is a bit much for me.

>

> Anybody play theirs weak? Great irons

i play mine 2* weak

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > Picked up a set of 765 for cheap that are absolutely mint. I played them today and was blown away by how good they feel. There was a good amount of wind and I didn’t have a chance to get to the range with them first so I was guessing on distances but they seem to be spinning quite low. I was hitting them pretty silly distances. A good club and a half longer than my ap2. Into the breeze was obviously not an issue but downwind I had probably 5 or 6 shots that would have been GIRs with Ap2 but these just rolled right over the back. Has anyone bent theirs 2 degrees weak? I’m thinking that should get the spin in line with ap2. Love the turf interaction, butter soft feel, look at address and everything else about them but I want more control. I got them with KBS tour thinking they would spin enough as is but hitting 175 yard 8 irons is a bit much for me.

> >

> > Anybody play theirs weak? Great irons

>

> i play mine 2* weak

Right on. No issues with the bounce? Spin and launch a bit better?

> @balls_deep said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > Picked up a set of 765 for cheap that are absolutely mint. I played them today and was blown away by how good they feel. There was a good amount of wind and I didn’t have a chance to get to the range with them first so I was guessing on distances but they seem to be spinning quite low. I was hitting them pretty silly distances. A good club and a half longer than my ap2. Into the breeze was obviously not an issue but downwind I had probably 5 or 6 shots that would have been GIRs with Ap2 but these just rolled right over the back. Has anyone bent theirs 2 degrees weak? I’m thinking that should get the spin in line with ap2. Love the turf interaction, butter soft feel, look at address and everything else about them but I want more control. I got them with KBS tour thinking they would spin enough as is but hitting 175 yard 8 irons is a bit much for me.

> > >

> > > Anybody play theirs weak? Great irons

> >

> > i play mine 2* weak

>

> Right on. No issues with the bounce? Spin and launch a bit better?

launch is a bit better -- not an issue at all with bounce (nice, clean consistent divots) and spin is a fraction better...but not a ton (truthfully). i switched to the TP5 ball after playing a TP5x all last year.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

As a few people have said don't change anything about the shafts or lofts. Just change the ball. The driver won't be that different but a few balls out there will only spin more on the irons.

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

> @balls_deep said:

> > @COL_B said:

> > I've had similar experience with my Z765s after switching from 714 AP2s.

>

> That's the thing.. I LOVE how they go through the turf (**my miss can be a little fat** and these seem to help that a crazy amount - everything was coming off pure) they look amazing, they feel INCREDIBLE out the screws, and they're silly forgiving. Just a touch more spin and these could be unicorns. Might try a chromesoft as I tend to overspin those...

For you, how often is "fat" a problem? A couple of times a round - if so it proves you're still human like the rest of us - or is it every other shot? Or, fat days and clean days? If "fat" is a persistent problem, you might get your address for iron shots checked by someone.

**Fat** will definitely cost you spin on the approach shots.

As for me, I have fewer fat problems when I hover the clubhead at address rather than leaving it in contact with the ground (I get lazy sometimes...)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @ChipNRun said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @COL_B said:

> > > I've had similar experience with my Z765s after switching from 714 AP2s.

> >

> > That's the thing.. I LOVE how they go through the turf (**my miss can be a little fat** and these seem to help that a crazy amount - everything was coming off pure) they look amazing, they feel INCREDIBLE out the screws, and they're silly forgiving. Just a touch more spin and these could be unicorns. Might try a chromesoft as I tend to overspin those...

>

> For you, how often is "fat" a problem? A couple of times a round - if so it proves you're still human like the rest of us - or is it every other shot? Or, fat days and clean days? If "fat" is a persistent problem, you might get your address for iron shots checked by someone.

> **Fat** will definitely cost you spin on the approach shots.

>

> As for me, I have fewer fat problems when I hover the clubhead at address rather than leaving it in contact with the ground (I get lazy sometimes...)

It's rare to properly fat one (maybe once a round) but I wonder if maybe I'm getting it an unnoticeable amount behind which is dropping it back a bit but still keeping the distance up. These irons have a reputation for being lower spin though. I'll try a different ball first and then get them bent if needed.

> @BogeyParBogey said:

> Cut Blue is supposed to spin a ton off the irons per TXG videos, might be an option.

They released a new video yesterday in which they found that the 2019 Cut Blue no longer has the extra spin.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

> @Snowman9000 said:

> > @BogeyParBogey said:

> > Cut Blue is supposed to spin a ton off the irons per TXG videos, might be an option.

>

> They released a new video yesterday in which they found that the 2019 Cut Blue no longer has the extra spin.

Hmm, good find. The recent golf ball test by a competitor site is not rosey about Cut either.