TPI Training

bwbw

> @bwbw said:

> What are some opinions on this? My daughters biggest weakness is strength. She's great around the greens, but just does not have the distance. She's still growing, so I know it will get there, but I'm thinking while she's growing this would help her mechanics and help her develop more as she hits full maturity.

You need to try Par4Success. Chris Finn is a great guy and you can do everything as a home based program. Have been doing it for two months and have seen really good gains in strength. Chris loves what he does and puts a great amount of effort into each kid.

https://par4success.com/online-training-sign-up

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

It will help but you have to make sure your expectations are realistic based on age and size. We work out with a trainer and I see a lot girls who work out there who tend to be on the smaller side. A lot them drop out after a month because they don't seem to gain as much as they need or expect.

If your looking for her to reach her full potential then you should look for a good program and see if she sticks to it.

Good stuff from @heavy_hitter but if you don't want to buy into a program she may or may not stick with you can always look at different bodyweight fitness routines. The basics are: Squats / Lunges, V Ups / Leg Raises, High Knees / Butt Kickers, Planks, Push Ups and Pull Ups (if you have a bar). And get her a jump rope (not a pink plastic one but a real jump rope). The results come from consistency so you've got to commit the time to doing it three days per week.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> Good stuff from @heavy_hitter but if you don't want to buy into a program she may or may not stick with you can always look at different bodyweight fitness routines. The basics are: Squats / Lunges, V Ups / Leg Raises, High Knees / Butt Kickers, Planks, Push Ups and Pull Ups (if you have a bar). And get her a jump rope (not a pink plastic one but a real jump rope). The results come from consistency so you've got to commit the time to doing it three days per week.

That is why I like Par4Success. Chris sends a program over an app on the phone call Bridge. Lays it out in a weekly calendar format. Within the calendar he attaches videos on how to do the activity. We can also send videos and comments back so he can check to see if the activity is being done correctly. Each program is customized to the needs of the individual person based on at home assessment tests. Some kids need speed while others need brute strength.

There is a lot of activities that you mentioned and more. I really like it because it is regimented. There isn't an excuse of being tired. Here it is, let's get it done.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @bwbw said:

> > What are some opinions on this? My daughters biggest weakness is strength. She's great around the greens, but just does not have the distance. She's still growing, so I know it will get there, but I'm thinking while she's growing this would help her mechanics and help her develop more as she hits full maturity.

>

> You need to try Par4Success. Chris Finn is a great guy and you can do everything as a home based program. Have been doing it for two months and have seen really good gains in strength. Chris loves what he does and puts a great amount of effort into each kid.

>

> https://par4success.com/online-training-sign-up

He puts out a crap load of emails every day. Lol.

Truthfully I would do TPI from a local woman teacher , if you have one around. Do a search at the TPI site. And there has to be some books on Amazon for junior girls to improve their fitness.

I find even a membership to a really nice gym helps one get stronger. Drop her off for 2 hours while you go hit balls or go with!

> @BB28403 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @bwbw said:

> > > What are some opinions on this? My daughters biggest weakness is strength. She's great around the greens, but just does not have the distance. She's still growing, so I know it will get there, but I'm thinking while she's growing this would help her mechanics and help her develop more as she hits full maturity.

> >

> > You need to try Par4Success. Chris Finn is a great guy and you can do everything as a home based program. Have been doing it for two months and have seen really good gains in strength. Chris loves what he does and puts a great amount of effort into each kid.

> >

> > https://par4success.com/online-training-sign-up

>

> He puts out a **** load of emails every day. Lol.

> Truthfully I would do TPI from a local woman teacher , if you have one around. Do a search at the TPI site. And there has to be some books on Amazon for junior girls to improve their fitness.

> I find even a membership to a really nice gym helps one get stronger. Drop her off for 2 hours while you go hit balls or go with!

If your lucky enough you will have a trainer locally you can go to with enough time to dedicate seeing them this is especially valid when someone is starting out. Realistically that is luxury that most people don't have. The next best thing is an online program either the one mentioned her or others ones that I sure people can find. Most people I am sure fall into this category.

Buying books or just trying to do it on your own is asking for a lot unless you been doing a program for years and it become routine. A good program will have a way to keep you accountable.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @BB28403 said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > @bwbw said:

> > > > What are some opinions on this? My daughters biggest weakness is strength. She's great around the greens, but just does not have the distance. She's still growing, so I know it will get there, but I'm thinking while she's growing this would help her mechanics and help her develop more as she hits full maturity.

> > >

> > > You need to try Par4Success. Chris Finn is a great guy and you can do everything as a home based program. Have been doing it for two months and have seen really good gains in strength. Chris loves what he does and puts a great amount of effort into each kid.

> > >

> > > https://par4success.com/online-training-sign-up

> >

> > He puts out a **** load of emails every day. Lol.

> > Truthfully I would do TPI from a local woman teacher , if you have one around. Do a search at the TPI site. And there has to be some books on Amazon for junior girls to improve their fitness.

> > I find even a membership to a really nice gym helps one get stronger. Drop her off for 2 hours while you go hit balls or go with!

>

> If your lucky enough you will have a trainer locally you can go to with enough time to dedicate seeing them this is especially valid when someone is starting out. Realistically that is luxury that most people don't have. The next best thing is an online program either the one mentioned her or others ones that I sure people can find. Most people I am sure fall into this category.

>

> Buying books or just trying to do it on your own is asking for a lot unless you been doing a program for years and it become routine. A good program will have a way to keep you accountable.

What’s the diff from a book’s author talking to you thru the book than an online program?

I would think the “care” level from the online program would be about the same as a book. And that is a big fat zero. They are just going to feed you generic Excercise one after the other .

Hey look I get a face time call! Woooooooo! Big deal. Haha

Agree with you that One on One is the way to go. However a book is a very good option too. As OP is a dad and he can motivate his daughter.

> @BB28403 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @BB28403 said:

> > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > @bwbw said:

> > > > > What are some opinions on this? My daughters biggest weakness is strength. She's great around the greens, but just does not have the distance. She's still growing, so I know it will get there, but I'm thinking while she's growing this would help her mechanics and help her develop more as she hits full maturity.

> > > >

> > > > You need to try Par4Success. Chris Finn is a great guy and you can do everything as a home based program. Have been doing it for two months and have seen really good gains in strength. Chris loves what he does and puts a great amount of effort into each kid.

> > > >

> > > > https://par4success.com/online-training-sign-up

> > >

> > > He puts out a **** load of emails every day. Lol.

> > > Truthfully I would do TPI from a local woman teacher , if you have one around. Do a search at the TPI site. And there has to be some books on Amazon for junior girls to improve their fitness.

> > > I find even a membership to a really nice gym helps one get stronger. Drop her off for 2 hours while you go hit balls or go with!

> >

> > If your lucky enough you will have a trainer locally you can go to with enough time to dedicate seeing them this is especially valid when someone is starting out. Realistically that is luxury that most people don't have. The next best thing is an online program either the one mentioned her or others ones that I sure people can find. Most people I am sure fall into this category.

> >

> > Buying books or just trying to do it on your own is asking for a lot unless you been doing a program for years and it become routine. A good program will have a way to keep you accountable.

>

> What’s the diff from a book’s author talking to you thru the book than an online program?

> I would think the “care” level from the online program would be about the same as a book. And that is a big fat zero. They are just going to feed you generic Excercise one after the other .

> Hey look I get a face time call! Woooooooo! Big deal. Haha

>

> Agree with you that One on One is the way to go. However a book is a very good option too. As OP is a dad and he can motivate his daughter.

Depends on the online program you are talking about. The ones I seen are very developed have a personal training goal and are modified by instructors as needed. I am sure heavy's program is similar to what I seen. It's really almost as good as being there and being one on one. A lot professional athletes do online and then do individual sessions when they have the time it is the best combination you can do. I personally feel my kids are little young for online and well we happen to live close to enough to more then one Golf Fitness Guru who runs great junior programs for kids that are actually don't cost much but when they are older. we most likely will be doing an online program as well.

Thanks for the feedback, and the link to par4success. I'm keeping that one in my back pocket, but I think we are going to do the TPI training to start. The place that is doing it is very affordable. They charge by the individual class, which is better for us since we live 30 minutes from the facility. They are going to work with us on getting her into a routine and the equipment she would need to continue the workouts locally. My goal will be to get her to class once a week.

If that becomes to much of a hassle, definitely looking into par4success!

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck!

Just wanted to throw this out there ..... depending on age and genetics it's difficult to add a lot of "strength" while nature takes its time about what it does. Having said that, I think cross training and lifting/stretching are great for physical and mental growth.

Also, the fact that short game is strong is awesome. My nephew has a wonderful short game and then over time grew into having strength and a good long game. I felt that was much better for him long term than the other way around. He was good enough that one year in his junior days he played in the US Jr. Am at Olympic Club with Rickie

Fowler -- proud uncle :smile: .

> @J295 said:

> Good luck!

> Just wanted to throw this out there ..... depending on age and genetics it's difficult to add a lot of "strength" while nature takes its time about what it does. Having said that, I think cross training and lifting/stretching are great for physical and mental growth.

>

> Also, the fact that short game is strong is awesome. My nephew has a wonderful short game and then over time grew into having strength and a good long game. I felt that was much better for him long term than the other way around. He was good enough that one year in his junior days he played in the US Jr. Am at Olympic Club with Rickie

> Fowler -- proud uncle :smile: .

Research shows several things that proves your statement wrong.

First, hitting the ball long in young junior golfers is directly effected by the kids weight and size. If the weight isn't there then the strength isn't there. The easiest time to teach strength and speed is while they are going through growth spurts.

Data shows that the most important aspect to shooting better scores is distance off the tee. Instructors are going to tell kids it is better to swing hard and fast early and learn the rest later. While it is great to have a good short game, it is also the easiest aspect of the game to teach. Having a shorter approach shot is more important than being a great putter. Greater putters struggle to keep their tour cards. Guys that hit it long and have a better approximatey to the hole have an easier time scoring and staying on tour. Bubba Watson is a terrible putter statistically, but he puts so many balls close to the hole with a wedge that he is going to make a greater percentage than a Brian Gay. While Brian is arguably one of the best putters on tour, he struggles to maintain a tour card because he has longer irons in on his approach shots which means he is above tour average for approximatey to the hole. A bad putter is going to make more putts inside 20 feet than a great putter is outside of 34 feet.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @J295 said:

> > Good luck!

> > Just wanted to throw this out there ..... depending on age and genetics it's difficult to add a lot of "strength" while nature takes its time about what it does. Having said that, I think cross training and lifting/stretching are great for physical and mental growth.

> >

> > Also, the fact that short game is strong is awesome. My nephew has a wonderful short game and then over time grew into having strength and a good long game. I felt that was much better for him long term than the other way around. He was good enough that one year in his junior days he played in the US Jr. Am at Olympic Club with Rickie

> > Fowler -- proud uncle :smile: .

>

> Research shows several things that proves your statement wrong.

>

> First, hitting the ball long in young junior golfers is directly effected by the kids weight and size. If the weight isn't there then the strength isn't there. The easiest time to teach strength and speed is while they are going through growth spurts.

>

> Data shows that the most important aspect to shooting better scores is distance off the tee. Instructors are going to tell kids it is better to swing hard and fast early and learn the rest later. While it is great to have a good short game, it is also the easiest aspect of the game to teach. Having a shorter approach shot is more important than being a great putter. Greater putters struggle to keep their tour cards. Guys that hit it long and have a better approximatey to the hole have an easier time scoring and staying on tour. Bubba Watson is a terrible putter statistically, but he puts so many balls close to the hole with a wedge that he is going to make a greater percentage than a Brian ****. While Brian is arguably one of the best putters on tour, he struggles to maintain a tour card because he has longer irons in on his approach shots which means he is above tour average for approximatey to the hole. A bad putter is going to make more putts inside 20 feet than a great putter is outside of 34 feet.

At what age should a kid start to learn strength and speed? Should I just have my kid whack the ball as fast as possible at the range from time to time? Thx

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @J295 said:

> > Good luck!

> > Just wanted to throw this out there ..... depending on age and genetics it's difficult to add a lot of "strength" while nature takes its time about what it does. Having said that, I think cross training and lifting/stretching are great for physical and mental growth.

> >

> > Also, the fact that short game is strong is awesome. My nephew has a wonderful short game and then over time grew into having strength and a good long game. I felt that was much better for him long term than the other way around. He was good enough that one year in his junior days he played in the US Jr. Am at Olympic Club with Rickie

> > Fowler -- proud uncle :smile: .

>

> Research shows several things that proves your statement wrong.

>

> First, hitting the ball long in young junior golfers is directly effected by the kids weight and size. If the weight isn't there then the strength isn't there. The easiest time to teach strength and speed is while they are going through growth spurts.

>

> Data shows that the most important aspect to shooting better scores is distance off the tee. Instructors are going to tell kids it is better to swing hard and fast early and learn the rest later. While it is great to have a good short game, it is also the easiest aspect of the game to teach. Having a shorter approach shot is more important than being a great putter. Greater putters struggle to keep their tour cards. Guys that hit it long and have a better approximatey to the hole have an easier time scoring and staying on tour. Bubba Watson is a terrible putter statistically, but he puts so many balls close to the hole with a wedge that he is going to make a greater percentage than a Brian ****. While Brian is arguably one of the best putters on tour, he struggles to maintain a tour card because he has longer irons in on his approach shots which means he is above tour average for approximatey to the hole. A bad putter is going to make more putts inside 20 feet than a great putter is outside of 34 feet.

I been told this exact same thing by a lot people. In fact almost all them want me to concentrate my kids on length and hitting as far as possible worry about short game later. This approach can be frustrating being a parent for sure. To see your kid mess up with a wedge on the short game to bogey a hole is tough to deal with. You will lose a lot tournaments to short hitters who have a great short game at the shorter yardages you typically see in younger junior tournaments.

Honestly I started to doubt this advice until we also started to play over 6000 yards for girls. At that distance girls who are short but have a short game have a hard time. The ones who can drive far stay in the fairway and have a solid short game and putting win everything. A few birdies make a huge difference in fixing mistakes that everyone makes during a round. Obviously you have to work with what you have but distance is a big big deal and not everyone has it.

• 2 weeks later...

> @bwbw said:

> What are some opinions on this? My daughters biggest weakness is strength. She's great around the greens, but just does not have the distance. She's still growing, so I know it will get there, but I'm thinking while she's growing this would help her mechanics and help her develop more as she hits full maturity.

How old is your daughter? I am a proponent of Functional Movement Training for Core Stability and Sport Performance, which the TPI is. My daughter is a highly recruited Lacrosse player and is working with trainers at a facility that uses the TPI type of model, but she trains for lax specific goals and movements (the owner/her trainer actually worked with the guy who developed the TPI model many years ago, and he explained the similarities of his program to the TPI model). Consistency is key, as is understanding the process. Through the movement analysis they will evaluate her weaknesses (in relation to the strength and movements related to the golf swing), as well as her personal goals. Those weaknesses and goals will be become part of her program.

Keep us updated on the process, and how it goes. Good luck!

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

> @J295 said:

> Good luck!

> Just wanted to throw this out there ..... depending on age and genetics it's difficult to add a lot of "strength" while nature takes its time about what it does. Having said that, I think cross training and lifting/stretching are great for physical and mental growth.

>

> Also, the fact that short game is strong is awesome. My nephew has a wonderful short game and then over time grew into having strength and a good long game. I felt that was much better for him long term than the other way around. He was good enough that one year in his junior days he played in the US Jr. Am at Olympic Club with Rickie

> Fowler -- proud uncle :smile: .

I think the key term is to add speed, or maximize speed, that can be done through strength, but not necessarily in the sense of bulking up or adding muscle weight. More often than not, through careful testing of functional movements, a well trained trainer can locate muscle imbalances that drain speed and distance (performance) (did you know a core body weakness can actually make you hamstrings tight, this a way in which the body prevents injury, the neuromuscular system shuts down body performance when it detects weaknesses and imbalances, thus the athlete is not getting the most out of their body). By designing a program to address those weaknesses an athlete can strengthen those weaknesses and improve performance and in this case swing speed and distance.

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

> @hangontight said:

> @heavy_hitter , or anyone else.....any updated results from par4success? Spoke to Chris Today, great guy and gracious with his time and thoughts. Curious to see how it has worked out for those who have stuck with it and what kind of results (specifically swing speed/distance) you have seen.

My kid has picked up 5 MPH of clubhead speed. He knows what he is doing.

> @"Long Shot" said:

> > @bwbw said:

> > What are some opinions on this? My daughters biggest weakness is strength. She's great around the greens, but just does not have the distance. She's still growing, so I know it will get there, but I'm thinking while she's growing this would help her mechanics and help her develop more as she hits full maturity.

>

> How old is your daughter? I am a proponent of Functional Movement Training for Core Stability and Sport Performance, which the TPI is. My daughter is a highly recruited Lacrosse player and is working with trainers at a facility that uses the TPI type of model, but she trains for lax specific goals and movements (the owner/her trainer actually worked with the guy who developed the TPI model many years ago, and he explained the similarities of his program to the TPI model). Consistency is key, as is understanding the process. Through the movement analysis they will evaluate her weaknesses (in relation to the strength and movements related to the golf swing), as well as her personal goals. Those weaknesses and goals will be become part of her program.

>

> Keep us updated on the process, and how it goes. Good luck!

Sorry I am just now seeing this. She is 13, 5 foot 3 inches, and a whopping 75-ish pounds. Her weakness is in her right side of her body and learning to get the hips rotating in the swing earlier than what they are. I'm hoping they can give her more guidance than I can (I know a fairly large amount about training, but cannot explain to her how to get the two working separately and her actually listen to me). We plan on starting next week. We were going to this week but work for me has kept us from making it there.

> @hangontight said:

>

> > My kid has picked up 5 MPH of clubhead speed. He knows what he is doing.

> How long has he been in program and what is general frequency ? TIA!

Chris will set up the frequency for what you want. He has been doing it for 4 months. He start out 3 times a week and after two weeks increased to 6 times. 3 days a week he does a variety of mobility, strength, speed, jumping etc. The other 3 days a week it is conditioning and stamina along with Super Speed program developed specifically for him. Just started the Super Speed program around 3-4 weeks ago and only do it twice a week. PM me if you have any questions.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @hangontight said:

> >

> > > My kid has picked up 5 MPH of clubhead speed. He knows what he is doing.

> > How long has he been in program and what is general frequency ? TIA!

>

> Chris will set up the frequency for what you want. He has been doing it for 4 months. He start out 3 times a week and after two weeks increased to 6 times. 3 days a week he does a variety of mobility, strength, speed, jumping etc. The other 3 days a week it is conditioning and stamina along with Super Speed program developed specifically for him. Just started the Super Speed program around 3-4 weeks ago and only do it twice a week. PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks for sharing all the info on this. Does your son do the workouts in a local gym? Did you need to purchase additional equipment for his workouts? I've reached out to Chris and will hopefully get the details from him, but always nice to hear a review from a happy customer.

> @munny11 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @hangontight said:

> > >

> > > > My kid has picked up 5 MPH of clubhead speed. He knows what he is doing.

> > > How long has he been in program and what is general frequency ? TIA!

> >

> > Chris will set up the frequency for what you want. He has been doing it for 4 months. He start out 3 times a week and after two weeks increased to 6 times. 3 days a week he does a variety of mobility, strength, speed, jumping etc. The other 3 days a week it is conditioning and stamina along with Super Speed program developed specifically for him. Just started the Super Speed program around 3-4 weeks ago and only do it twice a week. PM me if you have any questions.

>

> Thanks for sharing all the info on this. Does your son do the workouts in a local gym? Did you need to purchase additional equipment for his workouts? I've reached out to Chris and will hopefully get the details from him, but always nice to hear a review from a happy customer.

He does them all at home. Their is some equipment that you will need. Resistance Bands, Medicine Balls, dumb bells.

Workouts generally take between 45 minutes and 1 hour. It includes pre stretching and roll outs. The workouts bust his butt.

• 4 years later...
9 hours ago, Scratchgolfer31 said:

What specific excersises does your kid do in the program? That’s great to hear I’ve heard that Chris knows his stuff and agree on the comment about distance and proximity vs short game

@Scratchgolfer31 Looks like you resurrected a 4 year old thread.   You can use the search feature to find some other threads on the subject more recent that may be helpful.   FWIW, I've spoke with P$S a few times...first class by all accounts.  My son has not engaged with them specifically but has with a few golf fitness specialists over the years.   What exercises depends on where each kid is at....all of the programs seem to do a similar strength & mobility assessment and customize from there.    

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 7:29 AM, leezer99 said:

Is anyone familiar with their TPI certification process? 

You can complete Level 1 on line.  It's around 10 hours of videos followed by a certification test for around $1,100.  Level 1 covers the screening procedure and some basic cause and effect of physical abilities and the golf swing.  Any of the 5 versions of level 2 can also be completed on line for around $1,000 ea. after you complete Level 1. Level 3's are 3 day in person seminars for around $1,500.  You can package up multiple certification classes for a reduce cost.  Certifications are good for a year.  You pay around $200/yr after to maintain it but you can get additional free years if you complete additional certifications.  Beyond level 1, the programs are geared towards golf, fitness and medical "professionals" but non-credentialed individuals can still complete the programs.  The certification is just classified differently on paper and in their directory, "Major" for professionals and "Minor" for non-professionals.

• Thanks 1