2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

USKids Worlds @ Pinehurst: who’s going?

> @JuniorGolfParent said:

> We will be there for the first time this year and are excited.

>

> Does anyone have experience staying/playing at Talamore?

I own a condo at Talamore, so you could be staying in my place. The units are pretty spacious, and the management makes sure that they are all well-maintained. I think you'll be able to get a hot breakfast buffet style in the clubhouse, and I think you'll be in town for the Thursday night pig pickin' in the gazebo. You'll have a full kitchen, and there are gas grills for you to use at that same gazebo. Let me know if you'd like restaurant suggestions.

The golf course was renovated a couple of years ago, and the new Champion Bermuda greens should be in great shape throughout the summer. Fairway drainage was improved, so the ball will roll better in the fairways. The renovation included the addition of a few very deep sod-faced bunkers, its wise to stay well away from those.

I've only been in town once when the US Kids event was there, and was amazed at the good golf swings I saw. I was also kind of amazed at the size of some of the kids' entourages, swing coaches and parents and who knows what else.

Have fun, and play well!

• Like 1

We will be there. Second year going. Playing Longleaf back 9. Still only 9 holes. Overall Its a great and wonderful experience regardless of the outcome of golf. The Parade is breathtaking at times. Take all you can in. Go to the main resort and just look at the 100s of kids at a time on the putting green. Very cool to see.

> @davep043 said:

> > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > We will be there for the first time this year and are excited.

> >

> > Does anyone have experience staying/playing at Talamore?

>

> I own a condo at Talamore, so you could be staying in my place. The units are pretty spacious, and the management makes sure that they are all well-maintained. I think you'll be able to get a hot breakfast buffet style in the clubhouse, and I think you'll be in town for the Thursday night pig pickin' in the gazebo. You'll have a full kitchen, and there are gas grills for you to use at that same gazebo. Let me know if you'd like restaurant suggestions.

> The golf course was renovated a couple of years ago, and the new Champion Bermuda greens should be in great shape throughout the summer. Fairway drainage was improved, so the ball will roll better in the fairways. The renovation included the addition of a few very deep sod-faced bunkers, its wise to stay well away from those.

> I've only been in town once when the US Kids event was there, and was amazed at the good golf swings I saw. I was also kind of amazed at the size of some of the kids' entourages, swing coaches and parents and who knows what else.

> Have fun, and play well!

Thanks!

For those who have gone in the past, do kids normally play 1 practice round or 2? Hire a local caddy?

> @"Pinewood Golfer" said:

> > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > We will be there for the first time this year and are excited.

> >

> > Does anyone have experience staying/playing at Talamore?

>

> We will be there. 3rd time going. We will also be playing Talamore so I too would be interested in hearing more about the course.

For those with kids playing at Talamore, you can download an app with 3D flyovers of each hole, a GPS yardage guide, and some other stuff. I don't know if you'll be allowed to use the app in competition, but it could help with some preliminary planning.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bestapproach.talamore

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/talamore-golf-club/id731974860?mt=8

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @JuniorGolfParent said:

> > > We will be there for the first time this year and are excited.

> > >

> > > Does anyone have experience staying/playing at Talamore?

> >

> > I own a condo at Talamore, so you could be staying in my place. The units are pretty spacious, and the management makes sure that they are all well-maintained. I think you'll be able to get a hot breakfast buffet style in the clubhouse, and I think you'll be in town for the Thursday night pig pickin' in the gazebo. You'll have a full kitchen, and there are gas grills for you to use at that same gazebo. Let me know if you'd like restaurant suggestions.

> > The golf course was renovated a couple of years ago, and the new Champion Bermuda greens should be in great shape throughout the summer. Fairway drainage was improved, so the ball will roll better in the fairways. The renovation included the addition of a few very deep sod-faced bunkers, its wise to stay well away from those.

> > I've only been in town once when the US Kids event was there, and was amazed at the good golf swings I saw. I was also kind of amazed at the size of some of the kids' entourages, swing coaches and parents and who knows what else.

> > Have fun, and play well!

>

> Thanks!

>

> For those who have gone in the past, do kids normally play 1 practice round or 2? Hire a local caddy?

Depends what your goals are. I would say two, and hire a Caddy for practice rounds would be a great benefit to helping them having the most success.

Undoubtedly Dunham will be there early > @Kcct82 said:

> Haven’t decided yet, kid is only 6 and going to be playing in IMG Jr World already. Would like to hear what others think of the US KIDS event for a 6 YO.

Expensive vacation if you're west of the Mississippi.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @Kcct82 said:

> Haven’t decided yet, kid is only 6 and going to be playing in IMG Jr World already. Would like to hear what others think of the US KIDS event for a 6 YO.

In my opinion, if you are going to a world event and only playing 9 holes each day, you are wasting money. It boils down to a vacation watching your kid play golf.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @leezer99 said:

> Undoubtedly Dunham will be there early > @Kcct82 said:

> > Haven’t decided yet, kid is only 6 and going to be playing in IMG Jr World already. Would like to hear what others think of the US KIDS event for a 6 YO.

>

> Expensive vacation if you're west of the Mississippi.

>

We live on the Left Coast, how much are we looking at? And how many days including practice rounds? Thanks

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > Undoubtedly Dunham will be there early > @Kcct82 said:

> > > Haven’t decided yet, kid is only 6 and going to be playing in IMG Jr World already. Would like to hear what others think of the US KIDS event for a 6 YO.

> >

> > Expensive vacation if you're west of the Mississippi.

> >

>

> We live on the Left Coast, how much are we looking at? And how many days including practice rounds? Thanks

It is worth playing at least once just for the experience.

Would agree with HH that the value proposition for 9 holes is not great - maybe wait until he plays 18.

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > Haven’t decided yet, kid is only 6 and going to be playing in IMG Jr World already. Would like to hear what others think of the US KIDS event for a 6 YO.

> >

> >

>

> We live on the Left Coast, how much are we looking at? And how many days including practice rounds? Thanks

Also live on the West Coast....I have never taken my junior to USKG Worlds, but I calculated it at no less than $4,000 for a Dad and son to go. Probably more likely to end up in the $5,000-6,000 range.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > Haven’t decided yet, kid is only 6 and going to be playing in IMG Jr World already. Would like to hear what others think of the US KIDS event for a 6 YO.

>

> In my opinion, if you are going to a world event and only playing 9 holes each day, you are wasting money. It boils down to a vacation watching your kid play golf.

I agree don't get carried away with a 9 hole event for a 6 year old. Totally agree on the vacation part is the way to look at it. We do so much golf sometimes it nice to drop the clubs for a week and go somewhere like Disneyworld or a cruise instead.

> @wildcatden said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > Undoubtedly Dunham will be there early > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > Haven’t decided yet, kid is only 6 and going to be playing in IMG Jr World already. Would like to hear what others think of the US KIDS event for a 6 YO.

> > >

> > > Expensive vacation if you're west of the Mississippi.

> > >

> >

> > We live on the Left Coast, how much are we looking at? And how many days including practice rounds? Thanks

>

>

> Also live on the West Coast....I have never taken my junior to USKG Worlds, but I calculated it at no less than $4,000 for a Dad and son to go. Probably more likely to end up in the $5,000-6,000 range.

>

$5000: 10 years in a 529 plan with zero contributions over 10 years at 8% yields $10,975. Will the experience outweigh future student debt?

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> >

> >

>

From California, a family of Four, staying one week, budgeting around 6k

Tournament fee + Practice Round: $500

Hotel: $2000

Flights: $2500

Rental Car + gas + parking: $500

Food and other misc stuff: $500

Got the first two booked. Still on the fence trying to stomach through rest of the stuff.

> @mrshinsa said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > Undoubtedly Dunham will be there early > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > Haven’t decided yet, kid is only 6 and going to be playing in IMG Jr World already. Would like to hear what others think of the US KIDS event for a 6 YO.

> > >

> > > Expensive vacation if you're west of the Mississippi.

> > >

> >

> > We live on the Left Coast, how much are we looking at? And how many days including practice rounds? Thanks

>

> From California, a family of Four, staying one week, budgeting around 6k

> Tournament fee + Practice Round: $500

> Hotel: $2000

> Flights: $2500

> Rental Car + gas + parking: $500

> Food and other misc stuff: $500

>

> Got the first two booked. Still on the fence trying to stomach through rest of the stuff.

>

>

>

>

Hotel $2000? Yeah i would look at Airbnb or options. We got ours for $700 for a week. Plus with a condo savings to be had on food so you’re not eating out each meal. California folks have biggest cost. I spent under $3k last year. You can spend as much as you want but you can make it more affordable.

I know it means nothing some say it's a waste but to me it shows that working hard to earning something there is an award. They earn it and I have the means then game on.

> @darter79 said:

> > @mrshinsa said:

> > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > Undoubtedly Dunham will be there early > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > Haven’t decided yet, kid is only 6 and going to be playing in IMG Jr World already. Would like to hear what others think of the US KIDS event for a 6 YO.

> > > >

> > > > Expensive vacation if you're west of the Mississippi.

> > > >

> > >

> > > We live on the Left Coast, how much are we looking at? And how many days including practice rounds? Thanks

> >

> > From California, a family of Four, staying one week, budgeting around 6k

> > Tournament fee + Practice Round: $500

> > Hotel: $2000

> > Flights: $2500

> > Rental Car + gas + parking: $500

> > Food and other misc stuff: $500

> >

> > Got the first two booked. Still on the fence trying to stomach through rest of the stuff.

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Hotel $2000? Yeah i would look at Airbnb or options. We got ours for $700 for a week. Plus with a condo savings to be had on food so you’re not eating out each meal. California folks have biggest cost. I spent under $3k last year. You can spend as much as you want but you can make it more affordable.

>

> I know it means nothing some say it's a waste but to me it shows that working hard to earning something there is an award. They earn it and I have the means then game on.

When you hit the 18 hole a day/36-54 hole tournaments then you will understand what I mean. That money over the years adds up and you have to pay for them some how. When you get to 8th/9th grade there are tournaments you have to play in and the expenses are great. At some point you are done with US Kids locals and will be traveling the state of Texas. My kids schedule this year included (before he got hurt) 15 tournaments between January 1st and the first week of August before high school season starts. This included 41 nights in hotel rooms.

I think Pinehurst is a great experience and will be rooting for your daughter and the others from here that I know to do well. I just don't think the expense is worth 9 holes.

• Like 1

> @darter79 said:

> > @mrshinsa said:

> > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > Haven’t decided yet, kid is only 6 and going to be playing in IMG Jr World already. Would like to hear what others think of the US KIDS event for a 6 YO.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > We live on the Left Coast, how much are we looking at? And how many days including practice rounds? Thanks

> >

> >

> > Got the first two booked. Still on the fence trying to stomach through rest of the stuff.

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Hotel $2000? Yeah i would look at Airbnb or options. We got ours for $700 for a week. Plus with a condo savings to be had on food so you’re not eating out each meal. California folks have biggest cost. I spent under $3k last year. You can spend as much as you want but you can make it more affordable.

>

> I know it means nothing some say it's a waste but to me it shows that working hard to earning something there is an award. They earn it and I have the means then game on.

I would think $700 a week for a hotel is on the low side of things. I just did a quick look and $130-$150 plus tax a night seems about average for decent hotel in the area during that time. We stayed in some lower priced hotels for tournaments and it was not the place to take your family. Ideally I would think you want to stay at pinehurst itself and that is going to cost a lot more.

I also wouldn't call US Kids worlds affordable for the average family either. It is probably on par with a Disneyworld vacation when it comes to cost.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @darter79 said:

> > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > Undoubtedly Dunham will be there early > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > > Haven’t decided yet, kid is only 6 and going to be playing in IMG Jr World already. Would like to hear what others think of the US KIDS event for a 6 YO.

> > > > >

> > > > > Expensive vacation if you're west of the Mississippi.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > We live on the Left Coast, how much are we looking at? And how many days including practice rounds? Thanks

> > >

> > > From California, a family of Four, staying one week, budgeting around 6k

> > > Tournament fee + Practice Round: $500

> > > Hotel: $2000

> > > Flights: $2500

> > > Rental Car + gas + parking: $500

> > > Food and other misc stuff: $500

> > >

> > > Got the first two booked. Still on the fence trying to stomach through rest of the stuff.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Hotel $2000? Yeah i would look at Airbnb or options. We got ours for $700 for a week. Plus with a condo savings to be had on food so you’re not eating out each meal. California folks have biggest cost. I spent under $3k last year. You can spend as much as you want but you can make it more affordable.

> >

> > I know it means nothing some say it's a waste but to me it shows that working hard to earning something there is an award. They earn it and I have the means then game on.

>

> I would think $700 a week for a hotel is on the low side of things. I just did a quick look and $130-$150 plus tax a night seems about average for decent hotel. We stayed in some lower priced hotels for tournaments and it was not the place to take your family. Ideally I would think you want to stay at pinehurst itself and that is going to cost a lot more.

>

> I also wouldn't call US Kids worlds affordable for the average family either. It is probably on par with a Disneyworld vacation when it comes to cost.

>

>

Condo not a hotel, using Airbnb nice on the golf course. I don’t disagree the cost is what a family vacation would typically cost just up to the family if it’s worth it.

> @darter79 said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @darter79 said:

> > > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > > Undoubtedly Dunham will be there early > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > > > Haven’t decided yet, kid is only 6 and going to be playing in IMG Jr World already. Would like to hear what others think of the US KIDS event for a 6 YO.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Expensive vacation if you're west of the Mississippi.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > We live on the Left Coast, how much are we looking at? And how many days including practice rounds? Thanks

> > > >

> > > > From California, a family of Four, staying one week, budgeting around 6k

> > > > Tournament fee + Practice Round: $500

> > > > Hotel: $2000

> > > > Flights: $2500

> > > > Rental Car + gas + parking: $500

> > > > Food and other misc stuff: $500

> > > >

> > > > Got the first two booked. Still on the fence trying to stomach through rest of the stuff.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Hotel $2000? Yeah i would look at Airbnb or options. We got ours for $700 for a week. Plus with a condo savings to be had on food so you’re not eating out each meal. California folks have biggest cost. I spent under $3k last year. You can spend as much as you want but you can make it more affordable.

> > >

> > > I know it means nothing some say it's a waste but to me it shows that working hard to earning something there is an award. They earn it and I have the means then game on.

> >

> > I would think $700 a week for a hotel is on the low side of things. I just did a quick look and $130-$150 plus tax a night seems about average for decent hotel. We stayed in some lower priced hotels for tournaments and it was not the place to take your family. Ideally I would think you want to stay at pinehurst itself and that is going to cost a lot more.

> >

> > I also wouldn't call US Kids worlds affordable for the average family either. It is probably on par with a Disneyworld vacation when it comes to cost.

> >

> >

> Condo not a hotel, using Airbnb nice on the golf course. I don’t disagree the cost is what a family vacation would typically cost just up to the family if it’s worth it.

Condo is definitely the way to go.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @darter79 said:

> > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > Undoubtedly Dunham will be there early > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > > Haven’t decided yet, kid is only 6 and going to be playing in IMG Jr World already. Would like to hear what others think of the US KIDS event for a 6 YO.

> > > > >

> > > > > Expensive vacation if you're west of the Mississippi.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > We live on the Left Coast, how much are we looking at? And how many days including practice rounds? Thanks

> > >

> > > From California, a family of Four, staying one week, budgeting around 6k

> > > Tournament fee + Practice Round: $500

> > > Hotel: $2000

> > > Flights: $2500

> > > Rental Car + gas + parking: $500

> > > Food and other misc stuff: $500

> > >

> > > Got the first two booked. Still on the fence trying to stomach through rest of the stuff.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Hotel $2000? Yeah i would look at Airbnb or options. We got ours for $700 for a week. Plus with a condo savings to be had on food so you’re not eating out each meal. California folks have biggest cost. I spent under $3k last year. You can spend as much as you want but you can make it more affordable.

> >

> > I know it means nothing some say it's a waste but to me it shows that working hard to earning something there is an award. They earn it and I have the means then game on.

>

> When you hit the 18 hole a day/36-54 hole tournaments then you will understand what I mean. That money over the years adds up and you have to pay for them some how. When you get to 8th/9th grade there are tournaments you have to play in and the expenses are great. At some point you are done with US Kids locals and will be traveling the state of Texas. My kids schedule this year included (before he got hurt) 15 tournaments between January 1st and the first week of August before high school season starts. This included 41 nights in hotel rooms.

>

> I think Pinehurst is a great experience and will be rooting for your daughter and the others from here that I know to do well. I just don't think the expense is worth 9 holes.

We do US kids still with my younger daughter and it amazing how many parents don't know that travel is norm when the kids get older and US kids is just the begining. We are not really even traveling yet that much then for local state and I am already seem to racking up hotel rewards like crazy.

> @darter79 said:

> > @mrshinsa said:

> > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

>

To stay on the property it's $300/night x 6 nights and you get one night free plus free breakfast.

Every parent I've talked to said the same thing:

1. Is it worth it? Yes, you shoud go at least once.

2. If you go you should really stay on the property to get the full experience. Otherwise, it's just another tournament.

> We will be there for the first time this year and are excited.

>

> Does anyone have experience staying/playing Talamore

We played Talamore last year. Stayed in a condo at the main resort and drove to the course. I know a couple of families stayed at Talamore and barely came to the resort. IMO that takes away from the full experience.

It rained a lot last year so might be hard to talk course conditions.

I just remember to keep it short of the hole on 10, it is uphill so hard to judge distance and it was impossible to stop it on the green if you went long.

18 plays long as your tee shot has a forced carry over water on the left.

2 is par 3 with a deep pot bunker in front (again be short of the pin but then the bunker comes into play). Pin placement was really hard one day but easier the last.

DM me if you want more. We only played that course 5-6x last year :smiley

Whatever you do please play the par 3 course (cradle) at PineHurst. We played after it was all over on Saturday afternoon.. it was a blast, drinks, music and a all important family scramble.

Are you planning to play the parent child?

Thanks kcap - really helpful advice, esp re staying at the Pinehurst resort

I've initially booked staying at Talamore; do you think it's best to stay at the Carolina Hotel to get the full experience, or is Holly Inn ok?

Not playing the parent/child; the last few years my game has completely diverged from my son's - not good!

> Thanks kcap - really helpful advice, esp re staying at the Pinehurst resort

> I've initially booked staying at Talamore; do you think it's best to stay at the Carolina Hotel to get the full experience, or is Holly Inn ok?

> Not playing the parent/child; the last few years my game has completely diverged from my son's - not good!

>

>

We stayed at a Condo alongside PineHurst # 3 - it was a drive to the Carolina and Holly Inn but close to the practice facility at the main clubhouse. This year we are booked at the Holly Inn - not a 100% sure we make the trip.

We enjoyed our evenings in Pinehurst village, especially sitting at the huge putting green between a sea of kids :).

I would imagine some people would enjoy the more quiet feel of Talamore.

I would recommend playing the Parent/Child. I was quite nervous but said what the heck. I am a 12 index, there were single digits as well a low 20s playing.. They adjust for parent handicap which makes it a level playing field, it was only 9 holes but we had fun and managed not to embarrass ourselves.