Dilemma-Leupold 60% off or switch brands

Apparently some chip in my old range finder is dead. Offering me 60% off a new Leupold or should I switch brands to a different brand, perhaps Bushnell or Precision? Thanks for the advice!

Comments

• LeadermacLeadermac Members Posts: 40 ✭✭

I am guessing your old one is leupold to get deal? Its really just preference. I have leupold using same rangefinder for almost 7 years now and its still great. Other brands are probably similar. Basically its more of what you want and if you were happy or not with your old one.

• ephmenephmen Members Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

the prices of new Leuopolds are high and I have seen a lot of complaints about chip failure, so I am reluctant to reup with this brand....

• Jack DanielsJack Daniels Members Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

Buy the Leupold at the 60% discount. If you don't want it don't open it and sell it for as much as you can and put toward new device.

• swgolferswgolfer GoLow2 Members Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭

Take a look at PP or Golf Buddy's LR7, both are excellent Lasers at a lower price, not sure where the 60% off gets you but I have seen the LR7 going for $179 as they transition to their newer model.

• blitzgolfblitzgolf Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

Leupold best on the market. Take the 60%. They replaced mine under warranty once.

• torbilltorbill Members Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting. I just posted on another Leupold thread. Now I see this thread.

My answer to the OP is that I will not buy another Leupold. I have had two Leupolds. The first one was fine. The second one had a problem. I'm not satisfied with how they handled my problem. Here is what I posted in the other thread:

This thread perpetuates a belief that is no longer justified, based on my experience.

My wife gave me a GX-4i2 as a 2016 Christmas present. The top Leupold model at the time. Two year warranty. Sticker price was about $650 as I recall, and discounted price was about $450.

About a year ago one segment of the left-most display digit went out. No biggie, it was easy to tell if the digit was a one or a two. More recently a segment of the middle digit went out, making it sometimes hard to tell the yardage - and annoying. I have never dropped or damaged this unit. Looks like new.

I sent the unit to Leupold for repair. They contacted me and told me that the unit is unrepairable, is out of warranty, and that my options are to buy the current model from them at 60% off the (inflated) retail price or have them send the unit back to me. I told them to send it back.

I picked this unit out. I picked it out on the basis of the perceived quality of the Leupold brand, as well as the fabled Leupold customer service. I am disappointed on both accounts.

As far as I am concerned Leupold is currently living off its reputation, and not much more. The performance of other units is as good or better than comparable Leupold units, as demonstrated by reviews and customer sat ratings. The reliability of my Leupold unit is unacceptable, especially considering the price. The customer service is just like any other company, from what I can tell - If it's out of warranty, is out of warranty.

To anybody who is reading this, I suggest that you choose a rangefinder based on the features and price that fit your needs. If the price/performance of a Leupold unit is what you need, then go for it. But do not be like me; do not believe for an instant that you will be buying a superior product from a superior company. You won’t be.

• ephmenephmen Members Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

Torbill, the more I read, I agree with you. Seems like the electronics are faulty. Going to probably forego the 60% and get something else. Thanks!

• timbo08timbo08 Members Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The electronics went on mine as well but that unit was from 2011 and didn't go until 2018. I did purchase another using the 60% discount, but after using my buddies Bushnell, I'm a bit disappointed I didn't go with one of those. Not displeased with the Leopuld per se but doesn't seem as quick as the Bushnell.

• rcb1586rcb1586 Members Posts: 402 ✭✭✭✭

Take the 60% off deal and then sell it for more.
    Might as well get something out of it if you are going to switch to a different manufacturer, which I don't blame you.

TM M3 460, Hzrdus Yellow 6.0
    TM M3 3HL, Fujikura Pro Tour spec 73X
    TM P790 3, Axivcore Black Hybrid TX
    Mizuno MPH5 4-6, DG Pro S300
    Mizuno MP15 7-PW, DG Pro S300
    Mizuno MPT5 50.07, 54.12, 62.08, DG Wedge
    Mizuno Bettinardi C-03H 34"
  • melcoebmelcoeb Members Posts: 50 ✭✭

Their 60% is based on their inflated retail price. Suggest you switch. I was a Leupold fan, not anymore.

• timbo08timbo08 Members Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Even though I did bite on this last year, Dicks has the Bushnell X2 for $399 and you can find a 20% off coupon. Not looking back at Leupold now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file