Headphones on course?

It depends on what you're listening to and why. [From 4.3a(4)](https://www.randa.org/en/rog/2019/rules/the-rules-of-golf/rule-4#4-3 "From 4.3a(4)"):

(4) Audio and Video.

- Allowed.

Listening to audio or watching video on matters unrelated to the competition being played (such as a news report or background music).

But in doing so, consideration should be shown to others (see Rule 1.2).

- Not Allowed.

Listening to music or other audio to eliminate distractions or to help with swing tempo, or

Viewing video showing play of the player or other players during the competition that helps the player in choosing a club, making a stroke, or deciding how to play during the round.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

FORE!! FOORRRREEE!! Ah sh*t now your on the ground. hahaha

• Like 1

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

> @DaveLeeNC said:

> These are the earbuds that I recommend on the golf course.

> https://tinyurl.com/y3mlkyvf

>

> Nothing else works when you are using the proper shafts on your clubs.

> https://tinyurl.com/y34e4ky3

>

> dave

Thanks for the advice! I ordered two pairs in case I run out of juice. Just worried the frequency of my driver shaft might be thrown off if I stop using mid round.

I had not realized that the rule had changed, again! I would have a really hard time deciding whether my "background music" was to "eliminate distractions". I played with earbuds a few years ago, when I was playing alone, and I would say that intentionally or not, it did help "eliminate distractions". Then I played a round with someone who was wearing earbuds, and even though I am not a big on course talker, I found it kind of rude. So I stopped doing it, even when playing alone. I have played with/near people with music coming from their cart, or their bag. Sometimes I like the music, and sometimes I don't. Unless they are just rude with it, I am not going to say anything, but on the whole, I would rather it go away.

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

> @Sawgrass said:

> > @DaveLeeNC said:

> > These are the earbuds that I recommend on the golf course.

> > https://tinyurl.com/y3mlkyvf

> >

> > Nothing else works when you are using the proper shafts on your clubs.

> > https://tinyurl.com/y34e4ky3

> >

> > dave

>

> How much do you tip when the guy wipes your clubs?

A stranger touching my clubs? He would be lucky to survive :-)

FWIW, I kind of got into this stuff when I just got curious about how much "better" higher resolution and/or different audio file formats would/could sound. And the headphone path is a relatively inexpensive way to get high enough quality that you should be able to hear it if it is there (WRT your own ears). But I was shocked at how much money you can spend on external DAC's and headphone amplifiers, digital players, and headphones (if that is what you choose).

dave

> @Skaffa77 said:

> > @Superbrit said:

> > Lets hope no one hits a ball towards you, not as if your gonna hear them shout fore

>

> Sadly, I've been finding that a lot of golfers don't yell "fore" anymore....even when they see their shot heading toward a person...

What? Did you hear something?

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

• 3 weeks later...

> @Halebopp said:

> It depends on what you're listening to and why. [From 4.3a(4)](https://www.randa.org/en/rog/2019/rules/the-rules-of-golf/rule-4#4-3 "From 4.3a(4)"):

>

> (4) Audio and Video.

>

> - Allowed.

> Listening to audio or watching video on matters unrelated to the competition being played (such as a news report or background music).

> But in doing so, consideration should be shown to others (see Rule 1.2).

>

>

> - Not Allowed.

> Listening to music or other audio to eliminate distractions or to help with swing tempo, or

> Viewing video showing play of the player or other players during the competition that helps the player in choosing a club, making a stroke, or deciding how to play during the round.

This is obviously a matter of interpretation, but to me the use of headphones (as opposed to speakers) is an indication that the purpose is specifically to eliminate distractions.

> @davep043 said:

> > @Halebopp said:

> > It depends on what you're listening to and why. [From 4.3a(4)](https://www.randa.org/en/rog/2019/rules/the-rules-of-golf/rule-4#4-3 "From 4.3a(4)"):

> >

> > (4) Audio and Video.

> >

> > - Allowed.

> > Listening to audio or watching video on matters unrelated to the competition being played (such as a news report or background music).

> > But in doing so, consideration should be shown to others (see Rule 1.2).

> >

> >

> > - Not Allowed.

> > Listening to music or other audio to eliminate distractions or to help with swing tempo, or

> > Viewing video showing play of the player or other players during the competition that helps the player in choosing a club, making a stroke, or deciding how to play during the round.

>

> This is obviously a matter of interpretation, but to me the use of headphones (as opposed to speakers) is an indication that the purpose is specifically to eliminate distractions.

This is why this is a poorly written rule ... what is "background" music? How can an official or fellow competitor tell if the music is to help tempo or drown out distractions? Way to loose.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Generally speaking, I cannot understand why people have to listen to something else than the sounds of the surroundings when playing golf. It appears to me that too many are slaves of web/music/podcast etc. No wonder younger people cannot have a conversation any more, they need to search the internet to know what to say...

EDIT: I have so far never seen anyone on the course with earbuds, headphones or similar. I guess you guys in the USA have no nature to listen to so you need the earbuds...

> @davep043 said:

> > @Halebopp said:

> > It depends on what you're listening to and why. [From 4.3a(4)](https://www.randa.org/en/rog/2019/rules/the-rules-of-golf/rule-4#4-3 "From 4.3a(4)"):

> >

> > (4) Audio and Video.

> >

> > - Allowed.

> > Listening to audio or watching video on matters unrelated to the competition being played (such as a news report or background music).

> >

> >

> > - Not Allowed.

> > Listening to music or other audio to eliminate distractions or to help with swing tempo, or

> > Viewing video showing play of the player or other players during the competition that helps the player in choosing a club, making a stroke, or deciding how to play during the round.

>

> This is obviously a matter of interpretation, but to me the use of headphones (as opposed to speakers) is an indication that the purpose is specifically to eliminate distractions.

I assume you mean headphones that cover the ears or are in-ear headphones as opposed to bone conduction headphones which do not block or cover the ear canal?

> @"Mr. Bean" said:

> Generally speaking, I cannot understand why people have to listen to something else than the sounds of the surroundings when playing golf. It appears to me that too many are slaves of web/music/podcast etc. No wonder younger people cannot have a conversation any more, they need to search the internet to know what to say...

> EDIT: I have so far never seen anyone on the course with earbuds, headphones or similar. I guess you guys in the USA have no nature to listen to so you need the earbuds...

Figures - I pictured you as a square

> @davep043 said:

Eliminate distractions to the headphone wearer? Or eliminate a distraction for the other golfers who might not want to hear Lynyrd Skynyrd while putting for birdie?

• Like 1
Ping G410 9*
Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
Ping i210 4-U
Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
Ping Anser 85029 Dalehead
Srixon Z-Star or Q-Star tour depending on conditions

> @davep043 said:

> > @Halebopp said:

> >

> > (4) Audio and Video.

> >

> > - Allowed.

> >

> >

> > - Not Allowed.

>

I wear ear buds out of respect for others on the course, and because I hate having my phone in my pocket - so I leave it in my bag. If I were to use a speaker, I wouldn't be able to hear much detail when I walk away from my bag....like when I walk to the green and leave my bag/pushcart near the next tee....playing it loud enough to hear everywhere would be a nuisance to others, so that's a no-go. I mostly listen to podcasts/recordings of sports radio that I would otherwise miss, and rarely listen to music, so it isn't as simple as missing a song or two.

• Like 1

> @"Mr. Bean" said:

> Generally speaking, I cannot understand why people have to listen to something else than the sounds of the surroundings when playing golf. It appears to me that too many are slaves of web/music/podcast etc. No wonder younger people cannot have a conversation any more, they need to search the internet to know what to say...

> EDIT: I have so far never seen anyone on the course with earbuds, headphones or similar. I guess you guys in the USA have no nature to listen to so you need the earbuds...

It never occurred to me that headphones would interfere with 'the sounds of a golf course'. While I have never worn headphones on a course (or the range), "the sounds of the course" just isn't a parameter that matters to me. And FWIW, I have on occasion seen earbuds (or IEM's) on the range, but never on the course.

dave

> @DaveLeeNC said:

> > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > @DaveLeeNC said:

> > > These are the earbuds that I recommend on the golf course.

> > > https://tinyurl.com/y3mlkyvf

> > >

> > > dave

> >

> > Oh my... Bluetooth technology has not yet reached Dave's home county...

>

> True High Fidelity Bluetooth has not reached any country yet.

>

> Dave

That most every humorous post goes right over Bean's head just adds to the fun.

> @LeoLeo99 said:

> > @DaveLeeNC said:

> > > @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > > > @DaveLeeNC said:

> > > > These are the earbuds that I recommend on the golf course.

> > > > https://tinyurl.com/y3mlkyvf

> > > >

> > > > dave

> > >

> > > Oh my... Bluetooth technology has not yet reached Dave's home county...

> >

> > True High Fidelity Bluetooth has not reached any country yet.

> >

> > Dave

>

> That most every humorous post goes right over Bean's head just adds to the fun.

Or maybe things you consider humorous I don't..?

> @DaveLeeNC said:

> Check this one out. It would seem that in some circles music on the course is almost expected. Kind of surprises me. https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1769946/fav-spotify-playlist-for-a-round#latest

>

> Dave

Yep. You’ll hear them coming when they play. My new favorite was these guys who played an entire Molly Hatchet album. I detest “ flirting with disaster “ because it was the theme music for a popular nascar video game in my youth. It grates like the men in black song. It’s terrible. Anyway they are on the green behind the tee box we’re on , and apparently have a remote to the boom box on the cart. Guy on the green plays that song twice while we wait to tee off on the next hole. And a playing partner of mine goes “ that guy doesn’t know how much he is flirting with disaster , I’m about to go smash that radio and then just pay him for it “. I almost couldn’t compose myself to tee off. It’s amazing how little common decency some folks have. How do you not know that people 3 holes over can hear your music ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock