Wilmington, NC public courses

Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,275 ✭✭
edited May 4, 2019 5:30pm in The Carolinas #1

Will be frequenting the Wilmington, NC this summer. Any course recommendations?

Comments

• LithovtLithovt LithoVT Bristol, TNMembers Posts: 99 ✭✭

I have only played two. Cape Fear National and it was great. Highly recommend. Beau Rivage was the other and it was ok. It seemed to be limited options for quality public courses there. If you are willing to drive a bit I also recommend Thistle, Tigers Eye, and Leopards Chase down near Ocean Isle Beach.

Driver: Cobra F7+ 10.5 Graphite Design Tour AD TP-7 S
    Fairway: Cobra F7 (5/6) 18.5 Diamana D+ 80 Stiff
    Hybrid: Cobra F7 (3/4) 20.5, Diamana D+ 90 Stiff
    Irons: 4-pw Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro, TT DG AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges: 50 (Cleveland RTX4, stock s400 shaft), 56 (Vokey SM6 m-grind, stock wedge flex shaft), 62 (Vokey SM6, stock wedge flex shaft)
    Putter Ping Anser 2 35"
  • razor_1razor_1 Members Posts: 77 ✭✭

The muni run by the city is an outstanding course. Designed by Donald Ross and modernized by John Fought (I think). I'm a big fan of Donald Ross and have played a ton of his courses and this one ranks right up there. Big-time play and almost always busy so bring your patience.

Cobra F6+ 12 deg, Cobra F6+1 Hybrid, Cobra F6 3,4,5 hybrid, Mizuno 850 6-PW, Cleveland Classic GW 46, Wilson Staff FG copper SW 52, Vokey SW 56, Odyssey Versa, Callaway Chrome Soft.

• jc2jc2 Members Posts: 24 ✭✭

Cape Fear National is my favorite in the area. Great course and has always been in good shape, even just a few weeks after a hurricane...

Compass Pointe is a good track nearby as well.

• BradAHerringBradAHerring Members Posts: 1

Would highly recommend the Wilmington City course mentioned above. Beau Rivage closed. River Landing is good, just up i40 about 30 minutes. Castle Bay east of Wilmington in Hampstead is decent and affordable.

• longballjslongballjs New JerseyMembers Posts: 1,509 ✭✭

Cape fear national, like others mentioned. Just played there 2 weeks ago. They had the greens as fast as any course I’ve ever played or worked at, including baltusrol for majors. I’m not embellishing. Another great course is rivers edge, though it’s about 40 minutes south of Wilmington. If you have the time and can get on, bald head island country club is great, but that requires a 25 minute ferry ride and a 15 minute shuttle after the drive.

Titleist ProV1 Experience 7/12/17-7/13/17

TaylorMade M5 with speeder 667 xstiff
    Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80 xstiff
    Titleist 909h 19* with voodoo stiff
    Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
    Vokey sm6 54, 58 with Amt x100
    Odyssey 2ball blade dfx
  • tarheel golftarheel golf Members Posts: 151 ✭✭

Another vote for Wilmington Muni and River Landing.

• NCLancerNCLancer from Northern New York to The Triangle Members Posts: 202 ✭✭

@BradAHerring said:
    Would highly recommend the Wilmington City course mentioned above. Beau Rivage closed. River Landing is good, just up i40 about 30 minutes. Castle Bay east of Wilmington in Hampstead is decent and affordable.

Beau Rivage has closed? They are still taking tee times and hotel reservations on their website. While it's not a 5 star facility it's still a fun course and my wife and I have both enjoyed it a few times while visiting the area.

• BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭
    edited May 26, 2019 2:17am #9

I grew up in Wilmington. It has changed, it used to have 2-3 driving ranges and they all closed to build apartments. I think cape fear country club and Wilmington Muni are in town. Landfall has a few courses. Porter’s Neck country club. And then the courses in Brunswick County of course. Also up in Hampstead there are some. Landfall is probably the nicest area in the city, as it is a walled off community of its own and it is pretty massive.
    Anyone visiting Wilmington should either stay downtown, Mayfaire Town Center or Wrightsville Beach. Those are all good jump off points and they are very safe areas.
    Dining in Wilmington has suffered the last 5 years, something odd about the suppliers of the city. The quality of the food has gone downhill a lot.
    I could go on and on...

• Tipsy McHookerTipsy McHooker Members Posts: 555 ✭✭

cape fear is mint.

• jls667jls667 Members Posts: 117 ✭✭

Speaking of cape fear, anyone play there recently? I heard some rumblings about temporary greens, which by me means a circle spray painted on a fairway. I ask because I'm going to be in the area later in July and always love playing there and fear that there's going to be temporary greens. I don't want to drop 100 to play temporary greens.