SGI vs. GI Players distance irons

Aceman21Aceman21 Members Posts: 5

Ok, so I'm a beginner golfer but got obsessed early and got a set of Apex CF 16 irons. I have not hit the courses yet but I have been hitting the driving ranges a lot lately. The thing is, I sometimes fat my shots, sometimes I hit them thin, but then sometimes I hit them great! I know that I should probably go to Golf tech and get a swing analysis and maybe some lessons but to be honest, I'm not really that bad. But... Should I maybe head up to the pro shop and try out some SGI clubs?
Any input is welcome!

Comments

• kiw1982kiw1982 Members Posts: 1,200 ✭✭

I started with mp69.
    If you practice a lot, you can hit anything.

Mizuno        ST-180 Driver w/KuroKage HBP 50 S+
    Taylormade  M6 3 Wood w/NV 2KXV Blue 75 S+
    Taylormade  P790 UDI 2 Iron w/ KBS Tour 120 S+
    Taylormade  P790 4-G Irons w/KBS Tour 130 S+
    Mizuno        T7 56/10 Wedge w/KBS Tour 130 S+
    Mizuno        S18 60/06 Wedge w/KBS Tour 130 S+
    Odyssey      O-Works 1WS Putter
  • IamMarkMacIamMarkMac SF Bay AreaMembers Posts: 664 ✭✭

I think you'll get quicker to a working swing going GI. That said, if you like the look of players irons, plenty of people learned with blades.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
    Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
    Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
    Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
    Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,220 ✭✭

@IamMarkMac said:
    I think you'll get quicker to a working swing going GI. That said, if you like the look of players irons, plenty of people learned with blades.

As for category, the Apex CF16 = Game Improvement. The stock XP95 shafts were solid but lively, and fairly lightweight. This was one of the first Callaway irons to use cupface (hence CF) technology borrowed from metal fairway woods. The 3i through 7i heads are especially designed to enhance launch. I often grab a CF16 6i as a warm-up club when I'm testing golf clubs.

That said, the CF16 may be a bit much for a beginner. One way to find out would be through lessons. I admire your enthusiasm, but I would advise you to get some lessons early on. A few basics will greatly speed the development of your swing. Also, a pro can tell you if the clubs might need to be tweaked a bit (such as shaft length, lie angle, grip thickness) to better fit your swing and build.

AS for lessons: I was a self-taught golfer for the first 10 years, and I've spent the rest of my life trying to recover. ;)

Here's a Fall 2015 review on the then-new CF16s. (Don't be put off by the jargon)
    golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/callaway-apex-cf-16-irons-review-3370.aspx

What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Members Posts: 5,078 ✭✭

Your clubs will serve you well, get a series of lessons,
    Its money better spent.
    Enjoy the clubs you have, they are good sticks

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,582 ✭✭

@Aceman21 said:
    Ok, so I'm a beginner golfer but got obsessed early and got a set of Apex CF 16 irons. I have not hit the courses yet but I have been hitting the driving ranges a lot lately. The thing is, I sometimes fat my shots, sometimes I hit them thin, but then sometimes I hit them great! I know that I should probably go to Golf tech and get a swing analysis and maybe some lessons but to be honest, I'm not really that bad. But... Should I maybe head up to the pro shop and try out some SGI clubs?
    Any input is welcome!

You just got a set of CF-16 Apex irons and you're looking to change them already ?!?!?!

You'll fit right in HERE !!! LMAO

You've already got the clubs and you're a beginner. I can pretty much guarantee you don't hit them that "great" but your next step, if you believe you're going to get serious, or even just enthusiastic, about the game is to get lessons as puttingmatt suggested before your bad habits (and I guarantee you've got 'em) get too ingrained.

Good luck. And welcome to the looney bin that is WRX.

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56* DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3, 64 DGS300

Evnroll 1.2 (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • Aceman21Aceman21 Members Posts: 5

Thank you all for the warm welcome to GolfWRX and the well wishes to my golf game. I am pleased to report that I learned the swing and I am hitting some beautiful long, straight shots with my Apex CF16 irons. I am really digging these sticks and the game now!

• BadandyBadandy Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

Get lessons. You have not "learned the swing" in a matter of days/weeks.

Great clubs though.

• gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,315 ✭✭

@Aceman21 said:
    Any input is welcome!

The shafts are more important than the club heads. You won't know that until you have played for a number of years, and have tried other shafts.

Keep playing. Take some lessons. Love the game. You'll figure it out over time.

Then you'll figure it out all over again. It's golf.

On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Members Posts: 368 ✭✭

Golf is the game that keeps on giving... giving you lots of fun, and lots of anxiety. No matter how good you are, you're always looking to get better. I played a year then got some lessons to find out what I was doing wrong, and believe me, I was doing plenty wrong. After just a few lessons, I had learned enough to make my practices much more specific and enjoyable. Now, after four years, I feel like I still have so much to learn. I now know what I should be doing and practice to try and do it. Do yourself a favor, take a few lessons and find out just how much you don't know or may be doing wrong.

• T.B.T.B. Members Posts: 158 ✭✭

Play golf, not golf swing.

• nostaticnostatic "i drank what?!?" Socrates lost angelesClubWRX Posts: 172 ClubWRX

@Aceman21 said:
    Any input is welcome!

My input would be lessons. While you may get to where you make decent contact, odds are you will start ingraining things that will hold you back down the road. If you don’t have a game to super-improve - you’re just whacking balls. Which is a perfectly fine hobby but isn’t golf.

Ping G400Max 10.5 XTorsion S - Cobra F9 3W 16 Devo7 S - F9 3H Devo8 S 
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW - 919F GW - S18 55/09 PX LZ Tour 6.0 - Ping Glide2.0 Stealth 58TS
    Odyssey StrokeLab Double Wide Flow
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members Posts: 455 ✭✭

@Aceman21 said:
    Thank you all for the warm welcome to GolfWRX and the well wishes to my golf game. I am pleased to report that I learned the swing and I am hitting some beautiful long, straight shots with my Apex CF16 irons. I am really digging these sticks and the game now!

😂😂😂.

I can’t even remember the times that I said ‘ok now I got it, I got a swing’.

This is only the beginning of your journey man, trust me.

Lessons are vital to avoid bad habits

• Aceman21Aceman21 Members Posts: 5
    edited May 15, 2019 8:43pm #14

@Marco Colo said:

@Aceman21 said:

😂😂😂.

I can’t even remember the times that I said ‘ok now I got it, I got a swing’.

This is only the beginning of your journey man, trust me.

Lessons are vital to avoid bad habits

I am seeing what you are saying. There is still some bad stuff to clean up for sure but the main thing is there is nothing wrong with the irons that I have which is a relief.

• JaNelson38JaNelson38 Members Posts: 2,641 ✭✭

@Aceman21 said:
    Any input is welcome!

Get out on the course and play golf. Spend the money there. There is no substitute for learning the game on the golf course itself. If the course is not busy while you play, it will allow you to practice a multitude of shots and situations that you just cant replicate on a driving range. And in the process you will learn YOUR swing and what your strengths and weaknesses are. Once you've identified those, then maybe consider lessons with a credible pro where you can explain exactly what it is you want to work on.

If you're practicing at the range, spend the most time at the short game area and/or putting green. I love it when I go to my local range where 100 hitting bays are all full, but 2 beautiful short game areas are pretty much vacant.

If you're gonna splurge on a club, find a putter and a wedge that feels good and you have maximum trust in. The wedge and the putter will be far more helpful in your scoring than a set of SGI clubs.