GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE.

How many times can a person shoot 80 before breaking through? Arrrrghh!

24
4

Comments

  • bsirotabsirota Members  11WRX Points: 8Handicap: 6Posts: 11 Bunkers
    Joined:  #32

    80 has no statistical significance other than it is one stroke better than 81 & 1 stroke worse than 79. Forget about everything else and just play.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • TingtingTingting Members  741WRX Points: 159Posts: 741 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #33

    Agree thats why i said to just play and not keep track of the score. Theres more pressure than necessary when the thought of not going high vs just playing the game

    Posted:
  • 2ball2ball LEFTY Members  635WRX Points: 130Posts: 635 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #34

    try keeping score differently. Instead of writing a 4 down on a par 4 put in a -. If you bogie +1. If you birdie -1. This way you don't see a tally.

    Posted:
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers  3436WRX Points: 897Handicap: 2.9Posts: 3,436 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #35

    On -, @2ball said:

    try keeping score differently. Instead of writing a 4 down on a par 4 put in a -. If you bogie +1. If you birdie -1. This way you don't see a tally.

    My mind would be doing the tally faster that way. Let someone else keep the card.

    Posted:
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • jpking17jpking17 Members  152WRX Points: 56Posts: 152 Fairways
    Joined:  edited May 13, 2019 #36

    Same story...shot 83's...then 80's...broke through with a 79...then bounced back into the 80's. I had to learn how to get deep into rounds playing well, not get nervous, and learn to stay aggressive but smart. Shot quite a few in the 70's since.

    Posted:
  • Viktoryred3Viktoryred3 Just playing the game... Members  259WRX Points: 80Handicap: 8Posts: 259 Greens
    Joined:  #37

    Broke 80 for the second time ever yesterday. Shot 79 with only 1 birdie. The way my I’ve been struggling to break 90 the last few weeks, I definitely did not expect a score like that. Honestly didn’t even think that I was sub 80 until I added up my scores post round. Had a 30 footer for bird on 18 and blew it 6 feet by, then luckily saved par. Had I known prior to that par save that I needed it for 79, I would’ve missed that 10/10 times lol....weird game!

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members  1276WRX Points: 424Posts: 1,276 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #38

    I have five rounds of exactly 80, never lower and the last was five years ago sadly. Always hopeful

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • cpeckcpeck North new jerseyMembers  651WRX Points: 303Handicap: leftyPosts: 651 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #39

    hey

    On -, @vbb try going off the back 9 first.
    Posted:
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13955WRX Points: 2,764Handicap: 3.1Posts: 13,955 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #40

    It will happen ... always does at 90 or 80 or 70 ... keep grinding

    Posted:

    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65.06 
    Ping G400 3w 15.1* Oban Kiyoshi Prp 65.05
    Ping G400 5w 16.9* Matrix Masters 7Q3 x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Kuro Kage 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey SM2 50-54tvd-59tvd-64 s400
    Titleist Scotty X7M

  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21666WRX Points: 5,668Posts: 21,666 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #41

    On -, @bsirota said:

    80 has no statistical significance other than it is one stroke better than 81 & 1 stroke worse than 79.

    Unless you are a golfer!

    Posted:
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members  1308WRX Points: 209Handicap: It is ClimbingPosts: 1,308 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #42

    Gotta keep the faith! One of these days, I too hope to break 80. So far some 81s count as my best!!!!

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members  1308WRX Points: 209Handicap: It is ClimbingPosts: 1,308 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #43

    On -, @SNIPERBBB so true!
    Posted:
  • vbbvbb Members  1591WRX Points: 146Posts: 1,591 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #44

    On -, @Hawkeye77 said:

    On -, @bsirota said:

    80 has no statistical significance other than it is one stroke better than 81 & 1 stroke worse than 79.

    Unless you are a golfer!

    Exactly! I know 79 is only 1 stroke better than 80, but it sure seems to mean so much more!

    I think my best bet is to let someone else keep the card for me so that I won't know where I stand. I track all of my rounds in the Golfshot app though (or at least keep the same stats on the card and plug it in to the app later) so that's another impediment to me "forgetting" where I stand in the round.

    Posted:
    Cobra Fly-Z 10.5* Oban Devotion 6 (#4) shaft
    Cobra Bio Cell 3W stock (S) shaft
    Cobra Bio Cell 3Hy stock (S) shaft
    JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    JPX 919 Hot Metal 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    MP-T4 52* & 54*
    Odyssey O-Works #7S
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members  969WRX Points: 307Handicap: 9Posts: 969 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #45

    I’ll just say again that breaking 80 while knowing your score can be done. It is “physically impossible “ for me to not know my score, and so I’ve stopped trying to “forget” it. I just own it and try to play through the nervousness with mental game techniques, etc. I’ve actually discovered lately that I’m a lot more clutch than I thought I was. Believe me, I’ve had my share of puking all over the 18th green while trying to shoot a score, but I’m trying to learn to manage those feelings better. I closed out a match on 18 the other day with one of the best iron shots I’ve ever hit, and was the leading money winner in a guys weekend mainly due to winning practically single-handedly a two man better ball competition.

    Moral of the story is that you can be more clutch than you thought if you work on mental game techniques, which may or may not include ignoring your score.

    Posted:
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • Chef OttoChef Otto I Surf Snow & Putt For Dough Members  697WRX Points: 137Posts: 697 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #46

    I finished Bogey-Bogey-Bogey yesterday for an 80...........still sucks even though I have broken 80 a lot. But when I go back to the 1980's when I was trying to break through for the first time I struggled with the pressure as well and it took me a while. After doing it a few times that pressure mostly goes away.

    Posted:
    Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
    Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
    PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
    PING i500 4-U Project X LZ 6.0
    Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
    Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"
  • agolf1agolf1 Members  2001WRX Points: 1,149Posts: 2,001 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #47

    On -, @vbb said:

    None taken! My home course is a par 72, sloped at 132 from the blues (6500yds) and 126 from the whites (6000yds). I play the blues 90% of the time
    My bigger goal is to finish the year at a 9.9 index. I'd rather do that than break 80.

    I play a similar slope/length par 72 course most of the time. My last round out was a 79. I've shot in the 70s enough that it isn't a huge event but it is still a better than average round for me so I care about it.

    Like others have mentioned, I kind of know where I am on the card through the round but I don't always know exactly. I do add up the score at the turn. However, the key for me has been to not extrapolate any results (good start) or worry about a slow start. I've played enough to know I can double any hole or go double-double-double on any stretch to ruin a round. I've also made up a lot of ground in rounds when you least expect it. It's cliche but just focus on each shot and try to do the best you can given the situation (risk-reward).

    The last round of 79 I actually started with 5 straight bogeys and then played the next 13 holes in two over (3 bogeys, 1 birdie). I had started on the 5th hole (drove out to a place with less people), so I knew where I was when I started on holes #1 - #4 to finish up (had the score from the back 9 and knew I shot 5 over on the first 5 holes). Honestly though, I wasn't thinking about 79 when I made a) ~8 footer on the 2nd to last hole (#3) for par and b) got up and down on the last hole (#4). Had I been thinking about it, I doubt I would have done it. I've had some many rounds where I need to play the last 4 holes in X to shoot Y (Y either a good score or a higher score that I try to stay at/below) and it never happens.

    Given your course's slope, my guess is you will break 80 at least once if you reach your goal of finishing the year with an index of 9.9 or lower. You probably need to average about 84 for the scores that are used, so having one or a couple in the 70s wouldn't be crazy. Good luck.

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members  969WRX Points: 307Handicap: 9Posts: 969 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #48

    I’m curious. Why 9.9, instead of 9.4? I ask because I had a similar goal in the past, but I liked 9.4 because then I round to single digits, and I show up as 9 handicap on all of the tournament pubs, etc.

    Anyway, I got as low as 8.9 but am now back at 9.3. But I’ve been a “9” for a little while now.

    Posted:
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • maxpeckmaxpeck SwedenMembers  177WRX Points: 65Posts: 177 Fairways
    Joined:  #49

    I'm happy to read I am not the only one. Fingers crossed it happens one day for us all.

    Posted:
  • MychMych Members  2277WRX Points: 436Posts: 2,277 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited May 21, 2019 #50

    I'm stuck at a personal best of 79 for the past few years (6 times). The consistent pattern is that every 79 was on pace for a 75 at the turn.
    In general, I haven't noticed any pattern that says I'm better on the front than the back (in fact it's generally the opposite), but all of my 79's are either 37/42 or 38/41. I think when I make the turn with a good round going my brain starts getting carried away and I lose focus.

    Posted:
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    WITB: Cobra F9 9.5 ~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h ~ Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-WL ~ Ping Sigma G Piper 3
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21666WRX Points: 5,668Posts: 21,666 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #51

    On the other hand taking a 9 on an early hole really takes the edge off a 9 hole league round. Sorry, waiting for an oil change and musing about last night.

    Posted:
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16884WRX Points: 1,034Handicap: 4-5Posts: 16,884 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #52

    A great many people never break 80, yet they touch on it often. Most people want it so much, it creates added pressure that builds on the back nine. Anticipating/fear of mistakes devastates people. Also, people create additional pressure contemplating how he/she might feel having to live up to maintaining a low index. In other words, it's called getting in your own way of success. People do it in all sorts of ways.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber i110 "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-9i, Steelfiber i110 "S"
    Titleist 620 MB PW - Steelfiber i125 "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber i125 "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 & AVX



  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • RickKRickK Missouri City TXMembers  1619WRX Points: 118Handicap: GHINPosts: 1,619 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #53

    On -, @Tingting said:

    Try this: Dont keep a running total of your score. Just write it down and move on. Total it up at the end.

    ^^^^ THIS!!!! ^^^^

    Posted:

    I know it says I am from Missouri City TX but I have moved to Weston Lakes TX.

    Tried to change it in my profile 15 times so far, says "saved" but still does not change.

    I give up.

  • agolf1agolf1 Members  2001WRX Points: 1,149Posts: 2,001 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #54

    On -, @Mych said:

    I'm stuck at a personal best of 79 for the past few years (6 times). The consistent pattern is that every 79 was on pace for a 75 at the turn.
    In general, I haven't noticed any pattern that says I'm better on the front than the back (in fact it's generally the opposite), but all of my 79's are either 37/42 or 38/41. I think when I make the turn with a good round going my brain starts getting carried away and I lose focus.

    Personally, I think a lot of it is just catching up with our averages. I don't doubt thinking about a 75 or whatever score can derail people but I've shot just as many rounds flipped the other way. And the higher score is usually about normal.

    Ask yourself this - on the low 9s did you get "lucky" at all? Drained a bomb, up and down from a less likely spot, bad drive that still allowed a shot to the green? Or just played a tough stretch of holes much better than average.

    Most people attribute the low score to skill. It could have been the extreme part of the probability distribution for various random reasons. But it doesn't last if you keep playing enough holes.

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • MychMych Members  2277WRX Points: 436Posts: 2,277 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #55

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    On -, @Mych said:

    I'm stuck at a personal best of 79 for the past few years (6 times). The consistent pattern is that every 79 was on pace for a 75 at the turn.
    In general, I haven't noticed any pattern that says I'm better on the front than the back (in fact it's generally the opposite), but all of my 79's are either 37/42 or 38/41. I think when I make the turn with a good round going my brain starts getting carried away and I lose focus.

    Personally, I think a lot of it is just catching up with our averages. I don't doubt thinking about a 75 or whatever score can derail people but I've shot just as many rounds flipped the other way. And the higher score is usually about normal.

    Ask yourself this - on the low 9s did you get "lucky" at all? Drained a bomb, up and down from a less likely spot, bad drive that still allowed a shot to the green? Or just played a tough stretch of holes much better than average.

    Most people attribute the low score to skill. It could have been the extreme part of the probability distribution for various random reasons. But it doesn't last if you keep playing enough holes.

    I almost never attribute a great round to skill. There may be a couple made putts that are outside my 50/50 range, a good bounce or two, an up & down that I wouldn't expect to make. Usually, it's also nearly mistake-free (for my skill level), so no penalty strokes or 3 putts. I give myself credit for good contact and good course management, but the results are only partially in my control.
    I agree with you on the averages... I don't think 75 is realistic for me, but I have 9's of 38 multiple times throughout the year. When I can pair a 38 and a 41, it's a better than average day.

    Posted:
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    WITB: Cobra F9 9.5 ~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h ~ Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-WL ~ Ping Sigma G Piper 3
  • agolf1agolf1 Members  2001WRX Points: 1,149Posts: 2,001 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #56

    On -, @Mych said:

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    On -, @Mych said:

    I'm stuck at a personal best of 79 for the past few years (6 times). The consistent pattern is that every 79 was on pace for a 75 at the turn.
    In general, I haven't noticed any pattern that says I'm better on the front than the back (in fact it's generally the opposite), but all of my 79's are either 37/42 or 38/41. I think when I make the turn with a good round going my brain starts getting carried away and I lose focus.

    Personally, I think a lot of it is just catching up with our averages. I don't doubt thinking about a 75 or whatever score can derail people but I've shot just as many rounds flipped the other way. And the higher score is usually about normal.

    Ask yourself this - on the low 9s did you get "lucky" at all? Drained a bomb, up and down from a less likely spot, bad drive that still allowed a shot to the green? Or just played a tough stretch of holes much better than average.

    Most people attribute the low score to skill. It could have been the extreme part of the probability distribution for various random reasons. But it doesn't last if you keep playing enough holes.

    I almost never attribute a great round to skill. There may be a couple made putts that are outside my 50/50 range, a good bounce or two, an up & down that I wouldn't expect to make. Usually, it's also nearly mistake-free (for my skill level), so no penalty strokes or 3 putts. I give myself credit for good contact and good course management, but the results are only partially in my control.
    I agree with you on the averages... I don't think 75 is realistic for me, but I have 9's of 38 multiple times throughout the year. When I can pair a 38 and a 41, it's a better than average day.

    Sounds like we are about the same. In the last year I have one round where I've broken 40 on both sides (38-39=77). Some other 79s but obviously one side always at/above 40 (I think they've all been 38-41 or 41-38 but not entirely sure).

    I always try for no penalty shots, no 3-putts, and no doubles+. Given my skill level, it's relatively rare to have zero for even just 1 category. Interestingly, all of my sub-80 rounds have penalty shots (and more often than not 2 penalty shots), and my rounds with no penalty shots tend to be average at best. I am not entirely sure but I think on the days when I'm not swinging as well I probably take more conservative routes/shots, but overall you just don't do great. I don't track my 3-putts close enough to distinguish between a wasted shot (i.e. 3 putt from 20-30 feet) or one that is more due to a crummy iron shot (50+ feet away, wrong tier, etc).

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • SnapHooker_605SnapHooker_605 Rapid City, SDMembers  934WRX Points: 189Handicap: 15.5Posts: 934 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #57

    The first time I broke 80, I think I had shot 80 9-10 times. Most of them were 40-40, it was super frustrating. Once I did, I shot 77, and then shot 78 a few more times. Last year I shot 78 for the first time since high school. Oddly enough, I have yet to shoot a 79. 77, 78, or 80.

    Posted:
    Cobra King F8 Driver Aldila NV-2KXV Green 65 Stiff (9 degree setting, Draw Weight Placement, -3/4")
    Cobra King F8 3-4 Wood Aldila NV-2KXV Blue 70 Stiff (14.5 degree setting, -1/2")
    Callaway Apex 19 3-4 Hybrids (Project X Catalyst 5.5 Flex, -1/2" for both)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4 Iron Thru G Wedge - KBS Regular Flex Steel Shafts (I keep the 4 iron in the trunk and alternate it with the 4 hybrid depending on which course we are playing or weather conditions)
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM 19 Grind 54/14 & 58/12
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (35")
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • McgeenoMcgeeno Members  2198WRX Points: 312Handicap: 1.9Posts: 2,198 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #58

    I remember that mental hurdle. I always stumbled in.

    My first time breaking 80 I chipped in from 40 yards to get it done. After that it was no biggie.

    It will come.

    Posted:
  • aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers  668WRX Points: 806Posts: 668 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #59

    Man, do I get it.

    I was consistently around par when I was a kid - then took a LONG layoff from playing regularly. Maybe once or twice a year for almost 20 years. Got back to it super regularly late last year and this whole year has been a process of trying to get NEAR my old game. Still haven't broken 80.

    Just a couple weeks ago, was playing at my favorite course with my buddy and, honestly, we were having such a blast (we'd gotten paired with a couple really nice older fellas) I totally wasn't thinking much about my score. Had an OK front - a 42 with a handful of missed up and downs and a drive that REALLY got away from me that lead to a double. So it wasn't bad, just some mistakes. Started the back with a birdie and then ... all pars (two of which were after 12ish footers I should have made, really). But we'd been just enjoying the round so much ... it wasn't till the 17th tee that I noticed "Whoa ... I'm one under on the back!"

    Big mistake.

    17's a long par 3 and I hit a great tee shot that just got caught up in the wind and landed in the right hand greenside bunker. So I'm standing over it ... "Just get it on the green. That's all you have to do. Get it on the green. Bogey is fine. Don't ruin your round here." Proceeded to hit almost exactly the shot I wanted ... except it lacked about a foot of carry, caught the lip and rolled back to me. Like an idiot, I didn't take my time on the next shot and chunked it about a 5 feet ... then just blasted it out a good 25 feet past. Two putt for a triple.

    18 is a reachable par 5 with two great shots - which I've done - and I've birdied that one plenty of times. Hit a solid drive but the wind was a bit much right-to-left and there's OB left ... and my miss is a pull-hook - so I decided to play it smart and just knock down a wedge to get to my 110 mark; which is a full 52°. Perfect and ... nearly perfect but the wind blew it a bit offline, so I was about 15 feet left and pin high.

    This was my "putt to win the Masters!" moment.

    AAAAAND I missed it, just burning the left edge. A coulda-been 35 - and round of 77 - turned into a 38 for another **** 80. All because my score got into my head.

    Posted:

    Titleist TS4 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 FW 15°, 18°
    Titleist TS2 Hybrid 22°
    OG Lynx Parallax 4-PW
    Miura 52°, 58° RTG
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

  • vbbvbb Members  1591WRX Points: 146Posts: 1,591 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #60

    On -, @aenemated said:

    Man, do I get it.

    I was consistently around par when I was a kid - then took a LONG layoff from playing regularly. Maybe once or twice a year for almost 20 years. Got back to it super regularly late last year and this whole year has been a process of trying to get NEAR my old game. Still haven't broken 80.

    Just a couple weeks ago, was playing at my favorite course with my buddy and, honestly, we were having such a blast (we'd gotten paired with a couple really nice older fellas) I totally wasn't thinking much about my score. Had an OK front - a 42 with a handful of missed up and downs and a drive that REALLY got away from me that lead to a double. So it wasn't bad, just some mistakes. Started the back with a birdie and then ... all pars (two of which were after 12ish footers I should have made, really). But we'd been just enjoying the round so much ... it wasn't till the 17th tee that I noticed "Whoa ... I'm one under on the back!"

    Big mistake.

    17's a long par 3 and I hit a great tee shot that just got caught up in the wind and landed in the right hand greenside bunker. So I'm standing over it ... "Just get it on the green. That's all you have to do. Get it on the green. Bogey is fine. Don't ruin your round here." Proceeded to hit almost exactly the shot I wanted ... except it lacked about a foot of carry, caught the lip and rolled back to me. Like an idiot, I didn't take my time on the next shot and chunked it about a 5 feet ... then just blasted it out a good 25 feet past. Two putt for a triple.

    18 is a reachable par 5 with two great shots - which I've done - and I've birdied that one plenty of times. Hit a solid drive but the wind was a bit much right-to-left and there's OB left ... and my miss is a pull-hook - so I decided to play it smart and just knock down a wedge to get to my 110 mark; which is a full 52°. Perfect and ... nearly perfect but the wind blew it a bit offline, so I was about 15 feet left and pin high.

    This was my "putt to win the Masters!" moment.

    AAAAAND I missed it, just burning the left edge. A coulda-been 35 - and round of 77 - turned into a 38 for another **** 80. All because my score got into my head.

    I felt that man. I can totally identify. I started giving myself those same mental coaching thoughts... "just get it on the green." "Bogey is fine here." "Just put a drive in the fairway, you don't need distance." "Just hit a smooth 7 iron here, don't need to go hard at an 8 iron." All those ultra conservative thoughts tend to backfire, make me tense and ultimately play worse. If I honestly could relax all the way into the round and just play, I swear it would be easier, but none of the tricks to forget my score seem to work.

    I guess the one positive takeaway from all of this is that breaking 80 does seem to be more in my head than in my skill level. I can do it, skill wise. I've got the shots. I've parred every single hole on my home course many times, and without needing some spectacular chip in or 40' putt to do it. I've made routine pars on every hole at some point, and birdies on all but one hole out of the 18 (coincidentally enough, hole 18 is the only hole I've never birdied). I just need to stop thinking so much and go out there an play. Easier said than done.

    Posted:
    Cobra Fly-Z 10.5* Oban Devotion 6 (#4) shaft
    Cobra Bio Cell 3W stock (S) shaft
    Cobra Bio Cell 3Hy stock (S) shaft
    JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    JPX 919 Hot Metal 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    MP-T4 52* & 54*
    Odyssey O-Works #7S
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • GreenieGreenie Members  3577WRX Points: 190Handicap: 13.7Posts: 3,577 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited May 25, 2019 #61

    I've been playing golf golf for 27 yrs. now. I have shot 80 ten times in my life. Eight of those rounds I came on strong on the back nine and finished strong ending up with an 80. The other two rounds I was ahead of 80 with a few holes left and I knew I had a great chance to do it but I choked.

    A few yrs. ago I played solid my whole round. I'm not a stroke counter but I've got a general idea about what I am shooting. I admit I was nervous the last few holes that day but I had the attitude not today I'm playing to well. I drained a 12 ft putt on 18 for par and thought I had a 79. I actually carded a 77.

    The following yr. I caught fire on the back nine at a course I was playing, shot a 37 and when I totaled up my score I had a 79.
    Those are my only 70's round. It took me 25 yrs. to get my first one. LOL.

    Golf for me has always been a fun but sometimes a frustrating time for me. I go out and enjoy my time on the course and don't worry about my scores any more. I only played once last yr. and shot an 86. This yr. I want to play more once again. My first time out I shot 100. I played last Sun. at the same course and flirted with that 70's round once again. I had a 4 ft putt on 18 and missed it. I was mad at myself for being nervous on 18 and missing the putt. It was ok though. After adding up my score that putt was for an 80. An 80 or 81 it's only a stroke. For a 79 it would have been a big stroke. lol

    Posted:
    Post edited by Greenie on
4

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.