Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

How many times can a person shoot 80 before breaking through? Arrrrghh!

124»

Comments

• trilinkrealtytrilinkrealty Members Posts: 24 ✭✭

Unfortunately it can happen quite a few times! I shot 80 on the number 7 times before I finally broke it for this year! Total mental thing, I would come in 6-6 7-6 9-7 after playing great all day, it was insane. Going much better second half of the year and been hitting the 70s more often than not. Also hit a new PR at 1 over for 18

• PulledabillPulledabill Members Posts: 373 ✭✭✭✭

Im 52 and been playing since I was a kid. I didnt play much from 2005 to 2016 as I was raising a daughter and didnt have the funds or time othe tan range balls or par 3 with my daughter.
    Shot 80 a dozen or more times . Missed many putts on for 79 many times.
    2017 I started playing again. Practicing with a purpose and set a goal to be single digits. My first full 18 I shot 79. Never touched 70s again in 2017. Started practicing more in the off season and by July 2018 I got to single digits with numerous rounds in the 70s.
    At 52 I dont let ego get to me. Play within myself, practice with a purpose, manage the course, and carry a mental eraser.
    Stick with it

• jonnymc44jonnymc44 Manchester UKMembers Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

@RainShadow said:

So in summary - Eliminating double bogies is the key to breaking 80.

Thus endeth the lesson.

Nearly always right... Here's my round from Saturday. Third hole massive slice into the trees, and did well with 3 off the tee to make 6. Tenth hole I was middle of the fairway with 140 in. Hit a poor iron shot that spun up off the bank in front of the bunker greenside and landed next to the front lip. Had to pitch out sideways, chipped on then went on to 3 putt.
    What I felt I did well afterwards was to put the bad holes out of my mind. If you look at my card I followed the double or triple with a good score. I allowed myself to reset, take in my pre-shot routine and forget about the previous bad holes. One thing that has allowed me to score well this season is a consistent pre-shot routine that has focussed me on the next shot, not the previous bad hole.

• COmedicCOmedic Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Twice. Third time around you are tired of the feeling of choking and close it out for 79. Had this happen a couple weeks ago, felt so good!

• COmedicCOmedic Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

@JJ35 said:
    Your story reminds me of myself, same scenario every round shaking in my shoes at the 18th green. The way I beat 80 was by doing 1 thing, record your score each hole then put the card away do not add up or count anything until the round is over, you'll know if you have been playing well enough but resist the urge to tally score mid round.

Sound advice. I can’t help myself but to keep a mental tally though. It’s pretty easy to keep track of four or five over going into the final stretch compared to my usual 10 or so!

• JPLosman7JPLosman7 Members Posts: 29 ✭✭

I've played the best golf of my life this summer. Had a major swing breakthrough coupled with an equally major mental/attitude breakthrough.

I've always kept score after each hole, but didn't tally. I'd try to lose track of my overall score so as not to have to deal with the nerves of realizing I was on pace for breaking 80. A round in the 70's was so important to me at times on the back nine I just wanted the round to be over as soon as possible so I could ensure my coveted score. Having overcome the hurdle and broken 80 several times the past couple of years - I had my mental/attitude breakthrough in July on the 12th hole in middle of a solid round on pace to break 80. Instead of calculating how many bogey's I could make coming in to still break 80 and wanting so badly for the round to be over so I could guarantee my sub-80 round, I realized these nerves are the reason I play golf. The fun part is to being playing well, having to hit good shots, recovering from bad shots, making clutch 4 foot putts, feeling the nerves. It's not carding a 79 or a 75 or an 81 - the joy of that number quickly fades, but reliving the intensity of the a great round - when you hit a perfect 5 iron over water, when you made a clutch par or birdie down the stretch, when you regrouped after a bad hole and didn't derail - that's the fun part that keeps me coming back. Embrace the moment when you're playing well , appreciate it and realize it doesn't happen every round - then focus on play smart, agressive golf and playing as well as possible. Most importantly have fun! You'll probably play better and if you don't you'll be in a better position to look at the positives and learn from the negatives.

• vbbvbb Members Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The saga continues...
    Today I went out as a single just looking to play 9 after work (got done a little early today). Par on 1 and drained a 15ft putt for birdie on two, which is the number 1 handicapped hole on the course. Ok, this is a good sign. Shot at 38 on the front. Well, I guess I'm playing 18 now. The tee boxes on #10 and #13 are very close to one another, and I ran in to some good buddies playing as a twosome as they were walking off the green at 12. The older couple in front of me on #10 was showing no sign of letting me through, so despite my excellent front nine, I joined up with my buddies on 13, which is a 190yd par 3. I doubled it...making my first double of the day. When I walked off of 18, I was at 8 over for the day (par 70) so I said screw it and went back to #10. Bogey. #11 another double bogey, and that was it. Granted, this round would have had an asterisk anyway because I skipped 10-12 and returned later, but still. Another near miss.

Cobra Bio Cell 10.5* stock (R) shaft
    Cobra Bio Cell 3W stock (S) shaft
    Cobra Bio Cell 3Hy stock (S) shaft
    JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    JPX 919 Hot Metal 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    MP-T4 52* & 54*
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport mallet

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights