2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Srixon drivers on the rise

jimb6golf

I was talking to a pro the other day and he mentioned that more tour pros are starting to play the new Srixon driver and are finding it to be terrific and long. Even some pros that are obligated to play other manufacturer's products are switching. This person had played it recently and couldn't believe the yards he picked up over his own driver. Sounds like Srixon's only problem is their name recognition - it's not one of the big guns in the driver game.

I got one at launch, but it was a spin machine for me. I ended up trying several shafts and just got too much spin with each. Feel and sound was great, if I kept looking and found the right shaft combo for my swing, I probably would still have it in the bag, but I got tired of trying.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron KBS TGI 90, ZX 5 MKii 5,6,7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I'm currently playing a Z-765 and it's going to take something special to take it out of the bag.

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

I couldn't get it to work for me and I really wanted to... I may try it again, but stuck on the Mizuno ST190G right now. I know Grayson Murray was gaming it, but who else?

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I have a 565 in a backup bag. Great driver. Are the pro's going with the z785? What are the differences between 785 and 585? Spin? Both 460 cc.

Gamer/Backup
Driver: PING G410 LST 9 w/ EF Black 6.5; Cobra LTD PRO w/ Speeder 661 iv and Cobra F8+ with Evenflow Blue 65 6.5
3wd: TEE CB Pro 14.5 Speeder 757 stiff; 
5wd: Cobra F6 Baffler set at 17.5; Titleist 915 2H
3H- Titleist 915 2H dialed up in loft to 19; Ping G with Evenflow Blue 85 6.0
4 iron: G400 Crossover; G400 green dot CFS stiff, It's stamped 5 iron but power spec at 22* I use it as 4 iron; N/A
5-PW: Ping i15 green dot AWT stiff; PXG 0211 w/ Elevate Tour VSS Pro stiff
52/12 F: Vokey sm8 2 up; 52/12 F Vokey SM7
58/12 d: Vokey sm8 2 up; 58/12 d Vokey sm7 
Putter: Taylormade Spider Platinum; Ping Anser Milled 5; Nike Method Matter B2-05
Ball: Wilson FG Tour

Graeme McDowell is playing a 785.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron KBS TGI 90, ZX 5 MKii 5,6,7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

> @Mike_C said:

> I got one at launch, but it was a spin machine for me. I ended up trying several shafts and just got too much spin with each. Feel and sound was great, if I kept looking and found the right shaft combo for my swing, I probably would still have it in the bag, but I got tired of trying.

I’m looking to eliminate spin, but want to give this head a go... wonder how many low spin shafts my fitter has!

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

> @jimb6golf said:

> I was talking to a pro the other day and he mentioned that more tour pros are starting to play the new Srixon driver and are finding it to be terrific and long. **Even some pros that are obligated to play other manufacturer's products are switching. >**

What pros would that be?

> @Myherobobhope said:

> > @Mike_C said:

> > I got one at launch, but it was a spin machine for me. I ended up trying several shafts and just got too much spin with each. Feel and sound was great, if I kept looking and found the right shaft combo for my swing, I probably would still have it in the bag, but I got tired of trying.

>

> I’m looking to eliminate spin, but want to give this head a go... wonder how many low spin shafts my fitter has!

>

>

I tested my z785 yesterday vs an m6 on a trackman. While I don't have the numbers handy, i'm hoping they might have it and just haven't uploaded it. From memory:

z785 9.5 head was low spin. I was between 14-16 degrees of launch with 1500-1900rpm spin. using the hzrdus black 75 6.5

m6 10.5 head was also 14-16 degrees of launch with about 2100rpm. using hzrdus black 62 6.5

i'm surprised to hear you have too much spin. a testament to equipment working for one person and not another.

I've been gaming since launch with Tensei PO 60TX. I am extremely happy with this driver head. I was coming off a 2016 tour issue m1 with an open face and hotmelt on the toe side. I do miss with the Srixon left, but it's a user error on a bad swing. Ball speed, spin and launch are very good. I see so much forgiveness in this head compared to the 2016 m1.

> @rjcejka said:

> I ordered a Z 785 a week ago Miyazaki Kalua Stiff 4466 at a Demo day. Been playing a Ping G-30 (Accra Tour Z ST 75) for the last 4-5 years and figured a driver 4 generations old was time to update given all the new technology and the $500 would be worth it. Went there looking to get the 410, Flash or injected Twist Face. 410 (Tour 65) was too similar to the G-30 to drop the money. Flash - felt dead (Hzrds smoke), TM same (can't remember shaft). Mizuno 190G (Kuro Kage silver) felt awesome and was at the top of the list. TS2 and 3 (Fujikura 74g) was awesome. Walked by the Srixon tent and gave it a shot. Ok with the Hzrds Smoke Handcrafted but the 4466 was key for me. Felt great, all numbers on the FlightScope were there, just seemed most consistent with the least effort, good center face contact. 7-10 yards longer carry than the G-30. Average numbers...from memory SS: 104, Carry 255-260, Spin 2100. Anxious for it to come in.

That flex profile sounds close to perfect for me. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

I switched to a Z785 (Miyazaki Mahana 50S) from a TaylorMade M4 (Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 50S) a couple of months back and never looked back. The Z785 was delivering consistent distance and dispersion, slightly better than the M4. I like the balance better - the M4 feels heavy and slow while the Z785 head feels a bit lighter. The Mahana shaft was a little on the whippy side, and I switched over to the factory HZRDUS 62g shaft and didn't lose much distance and found a few more fairways.

I like the Z785 so much that I'm tempted to just grab another head as a spare, given that it's very unlikely that Srixon will release another driver this year. Their release cycle seems to be every 2 years - the middle digit of the model number seems to indicate the year of release, e.g. 7**8**5 is a 2018 model.

Srixon Z785 w/ PX 6.0 HZRDUS yellow (S) shaft
Srizon F65 3w (15*) w/ stock Miyazaki Kaula (S)
Srixon Z U85 20* driving iron
Taylormade P7TW irons (3-PW) in S400 tour issue shafts
Taylormade Hi Toe 54 and 58 wedges
Bettinardi Studio Stock 8 putter

^ "Their release cycle seems to be every 2 years - the middle digit of the model number seems to indicate the year of release, e.g. 785 is a 2018 model."

it will be interesting to see what if anything Srixon releases in 2020.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

> @jpdx said:

> > @Myherobobhope said:

> > > @Mike_C said:

> > > I got one at launch, but it was a spin machine for me. I ended up trying several shafts and just got too much spin with each. Feel and sound was great, if I kept looking and found the right shaft combo for my swing, I probably would still have it in the bag, but I got tired of trying.

> >

> > I’m looking to eliminate spin, but want to give this head a go... wonder how many low spin shafts my fitter has!

> >

> >

> I tested my z785 yesterday vs an m6 on a trackman. While I don't have the numbers handy, i'm hoping they might have it and just haven't uploaded it. From memory:

> z785 9.5 head was low spin. I was between 14-16 degrees of launch with 1500-1900rpm spin. using the hzrdus black 75 6.5

> m6 10.5 head was also 14-16 degrees of launch with about 2100rpm. using hzrdus black 62 6.5

> i'm surprised to hear you have too much spin. a testament to equipment working for one person and not another.

>

I haven't hit it yet, but I've yet to find the right combo of driver and shaft to get my swing to where I want it to be... i got close with a used Ping LST and Hazardus Shaft, but I don't love the Hazardus shaft and it got sold before I could convince myself to pull the trigger! My spin numbers are crazy, even when I hit up on the ball. I'm currently frustrated, mainly because I don't have $500+ to drop on a driver right this second.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Loving my Z785 more than any driver I've ever used. My consistency with the big stick is better than ever right now.

• Like 1

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 2 Rescue @18.5* LAGP AXS RED 85HX
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Taylormade Spider Tour V Stability Tour

Taylormade TP5X 2024

I recently picked up a z785 driver as well. Love the look, reminds me of the 910/913 D3 range. Maybe a bit more triangular, but still a great looking head. But just not working out for me as well as I had hoped and I've kept the M3 in the bag for now. Shaft is the HZRDUS black 62g in 6.5 flex. I think it might be slightly too much shaft for me. I think I'm gonna get a Diamana W 70S that I have laying around retipped. That shaft has worked for me incredibly well in the past.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

Just bought the Z785 at demo day.

Interestingly, my swing speed was about 6 mph lower with the Srixon than I got with the Ping G410, suggesting those turbulators really work in promoting clubhead speed (93-94 mph vs. 99-102 mph). But carry and total distance both were better with the Srixon, as was dispersion. Just easier for me to hit good drives, and getting 240 to 250 carry with 93 mph clubhead speed is crazy. It's all about efficiency with respect to spin, launch angle and smash factor. Best shaft was HZRDUS yellow, stiff (6.0) for both drivers. As a senior player, I'm a bit surprised I'm still optimized with stiff shafts, but whatever.

I posted about a week or so ago about the 785 line (driver, 3W and hybrid). I'm absolutely love the driver. I lucked up and managed to snag one with the Hzrdus Black 75g (same with the 3W). This club has been money the past 8 rounds with it. The feel, sound and forgiveness surpassed the G400 Max and 2017 M2 I tried before.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

> @MaxBuck said:

> Just bought the Z785 at demo day.

>

> Interestingly, my swing speed was about 6 mph lower with the Srixon than I got with the Ping G410, suggesting those turbulators really work in promoting clubhead speed (93-94 mph vs. 99-102 mph). But carry and total distance both were better with the Srixon, as was dispersion. Just easier for me to hit good drives, and getting 240 to 250 carry with 93 mph clubhead speed is crazy. It's all about efficiency with respect to spin, launch angle and smash factor. Best shaft was HZRDUS yellow, stiff (6.0) for both drivers. As a senior player, I'm a bit surprised I'm still optimized with stiff shafts, but whatever.

I went to a demo day and the Taylormade rep showed me a neat trick. I was hitting the Srixon 307 (or so). He gave me a M6 and set his on some sort of ball (range ball i think) and I jumped up 20 yards. He then set it on actual premium ball and I dropped to my usual 275-ish carry.

Don't trust any of them. 250 carry on 93 mph isn't impossible mathematically but its really close. Demo days may as well be called juiced trackman days. They are there to sell you equipment, and the trackmans they use (since you have to tell the cheap, portable ones the club and the ball, they can't tell from Sonar) are ripe for abuse.

Go get on a "real" trackman (GolfTec, etc.) and see if the numbers match. If so, good to go. I'm betting your at 237-ish because they had you on a range ball setting (which trackman then adds a dozen yards to to simulate the effect of a real ball).

Before I get flamed, not saying everyone does this, just some.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > @MaxBuck said:

> > Just bought the Z785 at demo day.

> >

> > Interestingly, my swing speed was about 6 mph lower with the Srixon than I got with the Ping G410, suggesting those turbulators really work in promoting clubhead speed (93-94 mph vs. 99-102 mph). But carry and total distance both were better with the Srixon, as was dispersion. Just easier for me to hit good drives, and getting 240 to 250 carry with 93 mph clubhead speed is crazy. It's all about efficiency with respect to spin, launch angle and smash factor. Best shaft was HZRDUS yellow, stiff (6.0) for both drivers. As a senior player, I'm a bit surprised I'm still optimized with stiff shafts, but whatever.

>

> I went to a demo day and the Taylormade rep showed me a neat trick. I was hitting the Srixon 307 (or so). He gave me a M6 and set his on some sort of ball (range ball i think) and I jumped up 20 yards. He then set it on actual premium ball and I dropped to my usual 275-ish carry.

>

> Don't trust any of them. 250 carry on 93 mph isn't impossible mathematically but its really close. Demo days may as well be called juiced trackman days. They are there to sell you equipment, and the trackmans they use (since you have to tell the cheap, portable ones the club and the ball, they can't tell from Sonar) are ripe for abuse.

>

> Go get on a "real" trackman (GolfTec, etc.) and see if the numbers match. If so, good to go. I'm betting your at 237-ish because they had you on a range ball setting (which trackman then adds a dozen yards to to simulate the effect of a real ball).

>

> Before I get flamed, not saying everyone does this, just some.

Yeah, the key really was the differential. I hit both clubs on both Trackman devices.