Question about Cobra

Parrotheadgolfer

Looking to fill some gaps in my wife's set and was just kicking around online looking at some different things. I see a lot of Cobra equipment that seems very low price wise, compared to generally what you see price wise for proline equipment, even "closeout" pricing. Curious what I am missing here, I worked in the industry up until the early to mid 00's and back in the 80's and 90's, you had what I called the "sporting good lines" like MacGregor, Wilson, Spaulding/Top Flite that were trying to have a presence in both the value line, the "box set 8x3" type clubs and then also have premium lines. Curious if that is what is going on with Cobra? When you see new Hybrids for like $40, start to question a bit.

Cobra has bounced around a bit from being top line independent, to the value line of Titleist, to getting sold off again and eventually ending up with Puma. That kind of brand instability is never good for retaining value. That being said, it has never fallen into that Spaulding, Wilson catagory at least in my opinion.

Cobra is willing to try different things. They stuck their neck out with the single length clubs and reportedly it has worked out very well for them. There are a lot of people on here, including myself, that have been singing their praises for awhile. I love my Ltd Pro driver, and their F9 has been getting a ton of hype this season.

What specific clubs are you talking about? Looking at their website the cheapest women's hybrid is $149.

https://www.cobragolf.com/shop-by/womens?cat=331

There is nothing wrong with Cobra clubs. I love my F7 driver and F8 hybrid. I’ve tried all the F9 equipment and it’s all good. I’m looking at buying a set of F9 irons for my birthday if I can wait that long.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Fantastic, fantastic clubs. Their value never seems to hold and you can often find last year's product being sold off for 50-60% of regular retail. However, what many don't realize is they offer just as many free shafts in their irons as Mizuno and Srixon, and their driver/wood shaft line is some of the best out there in terms of selection and quality. I also know that they change yearly and offer volume-specific clubs (like the F8-S to big box stores) so some distributors might get stuck with a product that is close to two years old and they want to liquidate, hence the cheaper prices.

I wouldn't hesitate to grab anything Cobra.

• Like 1

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Cobra makes very good equipment. IMO, there are numerous companies that make good equipment and many of these companies are not heavily hyped on tv/magazines etc... It comes down to finding what works for you.

It's not like the heavily hyped golf equipment has magic dust put in them. The lesser known brands carry the same shafts/grips. The only difference is the heads.

I don't buy into the resale value argument you see on the forum either.

15 hcp

> @Liquid_A_45 said:

> I am looking at buying a new fairway wood and driver this year and have been considering Cobra for the first time. I am very familiar with most other brands models but I know nothing about Cobra. What would be some models 2-3 years old where I could get Driver and fairway for about $300-350 total?

For the driver, look for an F8/F8+. For faiways if you like a lower profile look for the LTD fairway. If you like a higher profile then see if you can get an F6 baffler.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

> @Liquid_A_45 said:

> I am looking at buying a new fairway wood and driver this year and have been considering Cobra for the first time. I am very familiar with most other brands models but I know nothing about Cobra. What would be some models 2-3 years old where I could get Driver and fairway for about $300-350 total?

I just got an e-mail the other day that Golf E-tail is selling the F8 driver for about $200. Not sure about the fairway, though.

> @jvincent said:

> > @Liquid_A_45 said:

> > I am looking at buying a new fairway wood and driver this year and have been considering Cobra for the first time. I am very familiar with most other brands models but I know nothing about Cobra. What would be some models 2-3 years old where I could get Driver and fairway for about $300-350 total?

>

> For the driver, look for an F8/F8+. For faiways if you like a lower profile look for the LTD fairway. If you like a higher profile then see if you can get an F6 baffler.

> @thanson1990 said:

> > @Liquid_A_45 said:

> > I am looking at buying a new fairway wood and driver this year and have been considering Cobra for the first time. I am very familiar with most other brands models but I know nothing about Cobra. What would be some models 2-3 years old where I could get Driver and fairway for about $300-350 total?

>

> I just got an e-mail the other day that Golf E-tail is selling the F8 driver for about $200. Not sure about the fairway, though.

What's the difference between the F8 and F8+?

> @Parrotheadgolfer said:

> Looking to fill some gaps in my wife's set and was just kicking around online looking at some different things. I see a lot of Cobra equipment that seems very low price wise, compared to generally what you see price wise for proline equipment, even "closeout" pricing. Curious what I am missing here, I worked in the industry up until the early to mid 00's and back in the 80's and 90's, you had what I called the "sporting good lines" like MacGregor, Wilson, Spaulding/Top Flite that were trying to have a presence in both the value line, the "box set 8x3" type clubs and then also have premium lines. Curious if that is what is going on with Cobra? When you see new Hybrids for like $40, start to question a bit.

One of the best deals in golf is previous season's Cobra clubs. Cobra makes excellent top of the line equipment, but for some reason it doesn't always catch on with the mainstream and they seem to be left with some excess inventory after the season that gets sold via closeout vendors. In the past I've gotten brand new clubs and club heads via places like Hurricane Golf (I think) for $50 or less for a $200 club, with lots of inventory. Similar to what you can find of some old stock Adams items.

They have been the best bang for the buck in golf equipment since the Amp Cell line came out about 6-7 years ago. They have kept a consistent adapter system (MyFly8), have consistently had good performance, unique features (one-length irons, F6 Baffler, rails, Cobra Connect, LTD spaceport, etc), and even a few classic clubs (Bio Cell + Driver, LTD / LTD Pro, F6 Baffler, F9).

As you can tell from my sig... I'm drinking the Cobra kool-aid. Every time someone posts one of those "build me a set with a $300 budget" threads, Cobra and Adams get a ton of love at the top end of the bag. Their used equipment is always a great budget option.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

> @Liquid_A_45 said:

Really, anything other than their newest line (F9) could fit in that budget if you're buying used. In fact if you go back to the F6 or before, you could get driver and fairway for half of that budget ($100 driver, $70 fairway).

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

> @Liquid_A_45 said:

> What's the difference between the F8 and F8+?

From Not allowed because of spam.com: "The standard F8 is more forgiving and offers higher launch, while the F8+ is more workable and offers a flatter more penetrating trajectory."

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

Having never really considered Cobra clubs prior to last year, I now find myself with a F9 driver, Forged Tour irons, and Cobra wedges in the bag this year, lol.

Their clubs are excellent the fact they can often be had for reasonable prices is a bonus.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

> @Liquid_A_45 said:

> > @jvincent said:

> > > @Liquid_A_45 said:

> > > I am looking at buying a new fairway wood and driver this year and have been considering Cobra for the first time. I am very familiar with most other brands models but I know nothing about Cobra. What would be some models 2-3 years old where I could get Driver and fairway for about $300-350 total?

> >

> > For the driver, look for an F8/F8+. For faiways if you like a lower profile look for the LTD fairway. If you like a higher profile then see if you can get an F6 baffler.

>

> > @thanson1990 said:

> > > @Liquid_A_45 said:

> > > I am looking at buying a new fairway wood and driver this year and have been considering Cobra for the first time. I am very familiar with most other brands models but I know nothing about Cobra. What would be some models 2-3 years old where I could get Driver and fairway for about $300-350 total?

> >

> > I just got an e-mail the other day that Golf E-tail is selling the F8 driver for about $200. Not sure about the fairway, though.

>

> What's the difference between the F8 and F8+?

The weight positions on the F8 and F8+ are different. The F8+ has front/back and the F8 has heel/back. Also, the F8+ nominal loft is 9* vs 10.5* for the F8.

> @Liquid_A_45 said:

> Well I just looked at the F8 and that head just has way too much going on. I like the cleaner look, something similar to the LTD.

The LTD is also a very good club, but in real life the F8/F8+ really isn't as busy looking at address as the pictures make it look. I had the same thought about the F9 based on the pictures but it looks nice in real life. I took advantage of a trade-in event and reduced my driver stash by trading in a FlyZ, LTD, and F8 for an F9. I still have an F8+ as backup. Yes I may have had a problem.

> @KRW59 said:

> Cobra is the new Adams of golf equipment. They have stepped in to fill void left by the

> demise of the former. Quality and innovative drivers , fwys, and hybrids . And some

> very nice , irons that are often overlooked .

>

>

Not at all, Adams was the golf clubs for seniors.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

> @BottleCap said:

> > @KRW59 said:

> > Cobra is the new Adams of golf equipment. They have stepped in to fill void left by the

> > demise of the former. Quality and innovative drivers , fwys, and hybrids . And some

> > very nice , irons that are often overlooked .

> >

> >

>

> Not at all, Adams was the golf clubs for seniors.

Perception and not reality.

• Like 1

15 hcp

I first got into Cobra clubs via a friend who worked there and got me the new gear at major discounts, otherwise I would've overlooked them. Now I am a full kool-aid drinker, except for the wedges which I haven't had much experience with. Their AmpCell --> BioCel --> Forged Tour line can be found dirt cheap and compare well with AP2s in my view. I'm currently gaming the King Forged CBs - the DBM finish is indestructible and the feel matches Mizzys & the Titleist CBs IMO. F8 woods weren't as good as Callaway's offerings, but the F9 lineup seems to be a hit, and they really bring the goods with their selection of no-upcharge, real-deal shafts.

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 19* w/ AD IZ 95x | P790 UDI w/ KBS PGI 100

Irons: P7 Combo (790 4i, 770 5-7i, MC 8-p)

Wedges: SM7 52 F, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Without testing, I just bought the F8 wood and hybrids based on reviews on YouTube and testimony on these forums. They're apparently easy to get the ball in the air and have a great feel. TGW.COM had the hybrid on sale for $129.99 and the wood for $149.99 so I figured I might as well take the chance. The woods arrived yesterday and the hybrids should get here tomorrow and I can't wait to give them a shot!

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

As you can see from my sig, I really like Cobra. I used to be a Titleist junkie since I was a child. I took about 15 years off and am now coming back to the game and with the price of clubs nowadays, I can no longer afford Titleist players clubs but I found the ProCB's on Craigslist from a guy in florida that couldn't swing stiff anymore and practically gave them to me for $150 fro the set 4-PW with Project-X shafts in almost mint shape. I got the LTD driver from Global Golf on Ebay for $94 with the upgraded Matrix Black-tie shaft in it. Cobra makes amazing clubs that can keep up with any of the bigger companies. The F9 is the most wanted driver for 2019. If you look at Rick Sheils WITB you will find a Cobra F9 driver and F7 fairway wood

Cobra might be the most underrated brand in golf. They make excellent stuff. I have been playing their woods and hybrids for the past 8 years or so. Great clubs.

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

I remember hearing about Cobra when it was the value line for Titleist.

I've been playing on the top end of the bag for a while. Like a few online reviews, I personally feel that they give a great value for something that performs as much as the other top products out there. Some of the best deals are previous year's products.