2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Worst round in 4 years !

Golf absolutely blows my mind. This season I have been sharper than ever. Playing nearly every day and shooting low/mid 70's most of my rounds. We go on our yearly guys golf trip last week. I play on Monday at my club before we head out and start striking the ball horribly. Club feels off in my hands at the top of the swing and I end up hitting some uuuuugly shots. I shake it off, go home and back and we leave Monday night. We arrive early Tuesday morning and take a nap. We head to our first course and have an hour to kill so I head to the range. Every shot I hit from wedge on up is a massive snap hook. I start to panic... no matter what I am doing it is a snap hook or thinned shot. We get to the first tee.... immediate snap hook with driver OB.... 8 on first hole. By the time the round was done... I put up a 98. I am absolutely sick over this. The next round I simply say I am going to play a fade on every shot. First hole.... tiny 5 yard cut right down the middle. I end up shooting a 1 over 73 on the second day. Go figure that out.

Ain't it a beast? Nice adjustment on your part. My theory has two parts. Most of us, when we fall in love with one shot shape, gradually increase the amount of whatever moves we have to insure that shot shape. In my case, if I fall in love with the fade, it gradually becomes a slice. which brings me to the second part of the theory, and that is that this happens out of fear of the double-cross. Nothing gets into my head worse than playing a fade and hitting a left-to-left shot, so I start making sure it's not going left, and to do that instead of making a good fade swing, I make a hacker slice swing.

The only way to get back to solid ball striking is to try to hit draws, and usually I have to overdo that even, like trying to hit low hooks to remember how to not hit that over-the-top sure to move left to right slice shot.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Shh It happens. It happens more than you think. Even to Tour players. I had one of those days in Dec. in Palm Springs. Shot 90+ on the Nicklaus Tournament course and the next day 75 at Shadow Ridge. Out of position and no confidence and I was a mess from the 3rd hole on. I can get that way on an unfamiliar course that doesn't suit my eye. Don't panic and change anything. Go back to your basics and hit some quality shots on the practice range and build it back up. Definitely not time to change anything other than erase your memory banks about the bad round(s).

You did the right thing though with hitting a high percentage shot to put a tourniquet on the bleeding.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

> @Socrates said:

> Shh It happens. It happens more than you think. Even to Tour players. I had one of those days in Dec. in Palm Springs. Shot 90+ on the Nicklaus Tournament course and the next day 75 at Shadow Ridge. Out of position and no confidence and I was a mess from the 3rd hole on. I can get that way on an unfamiliar course that doesn't suit my eye. Don't panic and change anything. Go back to your basics and hit some quality shots on the practice range and build it back up. Definitely not time to change anything other than erase your memory banks about the bad round(s).

>

> You did the right thing though with hitting a high percentage shot to put a tourniquet on the bleeding.

HAH.... my blow up was on a Nicklaus Course. I would finally hit a decent shot.... only to have it trickle into a collection area... and face an insanely difficult chip or pitch.... which would usually roll off the green and into a bunker or another collection area.

• Like 1

I usually go into a guy’s weekend or tournament weekend striping the ball, and of course lose it all as soon as the “official “ rounds start. And even worse, I usually continue the stripe show on the range the first day of the weekend, but somehow lose everything from the last range shot to the 1st tee box.

Oddly, though, I’ve been struggling with my game for about two months now, but had a week and a half stretch recently where I had a match in match play tournament and a guy’s weekend. Somehow I pieced together a game for those rounds and won my match, and was the big money winner in the guy’s weekend. It was like “bizarro world”, and it was great!!!

Funny enough, though, I’ve played twice since and am back to sucking. Crazy, crazy game.

My worst round ever recently was last year. Going to a local course (Chipping Norton) for the first time ever. Everyone warned me that it was quite difficult. The website had a full course fly-over and virtually every hole said 'keep left'.

So of course on that day my normal slight push fade became a slice. I think my score got to 114 on the 13th before I just stopped scoring. I know I'm a high 'capper but I was only 21 at the time.

I'm going back there with my mate this year though. I'm not gonna let one course get the better of me by that much.

> @andrue said:

> My worst round ever recently was last year. Going to a local course (Chipping Norton) for the first time ever. Everyone warned me that it was quite difficult. The website had a full course fly-over and virtually every hole said 'keep left'.

> So of course on that day my normal slight push fade became a slice. I think my score got to 114 on the 13th before I just stopped scoring. I know I'm a high 'capper but I was only 21 at the time.

> I'm going back there with my mate this year though. I'm not gonna let one course get the better of me by that much.

Many years ago, I shot a 130 at the Kiawah Ocean Course. ?. It was a fun day lol.

I went back about 7 years after that and shot 87. 43 stroke improvement. Yeah.

So you can do it too!

> @LeftDaddy said:

> > @andrue said:

> > My worst round ever recently was last year. Going to a local course (Chipping Norton) for the first time ever. Everyone warned me that it was quite difficult. The website had a full course fly-over and virtually every hole said 'keep left'.

> > So of course on that day my normal slight push fade became a slice. I think my score got to 114 on the 13th before I just stopped scoring. I know I'm a high 'capper but I was only 21 at the time.

> > I'm going back there with my mate this year though. I'm not gonna let one course get the better of me by that much.

>

> Many years ago, I shot a 130 at the Kiawah Ocean Course. ?. It was a fun day lol.

>

> I went back about 7 years after that and shot 87. 43 stroke improvement. Yeah.

>

> So you can do it too!

>

Knock another 43 strokes off and you'll be a hero.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

I just shot the worst round I’ve shot in 2 years, an 84. I’m a legit +2 with GHIN.... I’ve been looking forward to this round for weeks as I have a tournament there in 2 weeks. It was cold, windy & rainy and I was already moaning about the conditions on the range. I’ve never played the course and that usually doesn’t affect me. I was seriously considering leaving after 9 but I gutted it out to get a feel for all the holes. It happens man.

The guys I was with are also in my league where I just shot 32 on 9 yesterday stripping the ball. Golf is a fickle mistress and I can’t wait to hit the range tomorrow.

Played 36 yesterday, and my game was rounding into shape after the winter going into it...

First round - Shot 96 - finished +17 on the last 7 holes hitting it all over the place with every kind of miss possible, and several hacks out of deep rough that barely advanced the ball.

Had a hot dog, went to the other 18 holes at the course and shot 77. Was like the other round never happened - much more consistent ball striking, left an eagle putt in the door. Fun game we play.

> @DrOldSchool said:

> ...+17 on the last 7 holes...

HO-LY MOSES!

I'm sorry, but that's something I'd pay to see, LOL.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> > @DrOldSchool said:

> > ...+17 on the last 7 holes...

>

> HO-LY MOSES!

>

> I'm sorry, but that's something I'd pay to see, LOL.

>

>

quad - triple - bogey - double - triple - double - double

Only 2 penalty strokes in that mess.

I was in this tall stuff. A lot.

985r9ryuq5s9.jpeg