I found a used set of P790's at Golf Galaxy yesterday so I grabbed a few balls and started hitting. Now I know these clubs are a little lower spinning due to the lofts, but I was getting spin rates in the low 4000's with the 7 iron. I grabbed a mizuno mp18 SC, my current gamer, and hit some shots and found the same result.

I definitely am a higher spin player. When I hit a green, my ball is rarely more than 5 feet from the pitch mark with my irons.

Have any of you seen this with launch monitors at Golf Galaxy? I don't want to say that they are rigging them, but I have a hard time believing they are accurate based on those iron shots.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started playing golf again last summer after 15 years. I went to golf galaxy to look for some new clubs, on their monitor it said my swing speed was about 110 and I was carrying 280 consistently with the driver. I never saw that on the course. Since then I've been back a few times trying different clubs and all of a sudden my SS is 100 and I'm carrying 245-250 (which is what I'm seeing on the course). Now, last summer I had not swung a club in probably 2 months when I decided to go shopping that day. Still to this day even when I'm swinging out of my shoes I can't hit 110 mph SS. Maybe they needed to recalibrate it...

Was it a GC2? usually indoors most launch monitors need metal stickers or in the case of camera based systems lines to accurately measure spin. Most have settings as well where you set the club or loft degree. This is to give the machine a launch and spin range, kind of a head start for data capture. The Mizuno's and the 790's def. will not spin the same. I gamed the SC in a blade combo set and hit a buddies 790's and honestly the 790's would be an adventure. I was hitting his 7i so far it was comical so I could see the 4000 number being a possibility especially as it seems the lofts are stronger. But the SC should be 5500-6000 at it's lowest range unless someone has a slower ss in which case everything is going to spin too low. The SC's are incredible btw.

I don't trust the launch monitors or staff at GG... Go somewhere that has a trackman and the staff that knows how to use it.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

• 1 month later...

Had a doozy of a experience today. Popped in to check out clearance and ventured back to used clubs and found a G400 Max with a DI/ 6X for 309. The hoe in me immediately came alive and I ran to the hitting bay with it. Loosen up a little, take a swing and it registered 78 mph swing speed. Loosen up more and same thing. Grab an F9 demo with the Atmos 6s and I get up to 79. Go grab an employee to see what is going on, he reboots everything, and it spits out the same number. Employee suggests trying a senior flex shaft. Laughed, shook my head, walked out to my car.

> @lspky_muskie said:

> Had a doozy of a experience today. Popped in to check out clearance and ventured back to used clubs and found a G400 Max with a DI/ 6X for 309. The hoe in me immediately came alive and I ran to the hitting bay with it. Loosen up a little, take a swing and it registered 78 mph swing speed. Loosen up more and same thing. Grab an F9 demo with the Atmos 6s and I get up to 79. Go grab an employee to see what is going on, he reboots everything, and it spits out the same number. Employee suggests trying a senior flex shaft. Laughed, shook my head, walked out to my car.

It's tough to face the truth sometimes.....

The only way to truly know, is by taking your current club (the one you are comparing against) in and getting a baseline. If you know for sure what you hit normally, it should be fairly easy, although it might be a pain in the butt but thats what I have found.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

> @lspky_muskie said:

> Had a doozy of a experience today. Popped in to check out clearance and ventured back to used clubs and found a G400 Max with a DI/ 6X for 309. The hoe in me immediately came alive and I ran to the hitting bay with it. Loosen up a little, take a swing and it registered 78 mph swing speed. Loosen up more and same thing. Grab an F9 demo with the Atmos 6s and I get up to 79. Go grab an employee to see what is going on, he reboots everything, and it spits out the same number. Employee suggests trying a senior flex shaft. Laughed, shook my head, walked out to my car.

You've omitted a key fact for your story...

> @"Mr. Hogan" said:

> > @lspky_muskie said:

> > Had a doozy of a experience today. Popped in to check out clearance and ventured back to used clubs and found a G400 Max with a DI/ 6X for 309. The hoe in me immediately came alive and I ran to the hitting bay with it. Loosen up a little, take a swing and it registered 78 mph swing speed. Loosen up more and same thing. Grab an F9 demo with the Atmos 6s and I get up to 79. Go grab an employee to see what is going on, he reboots everything, and it spits out the same number. Employee suggests trying a senior flex shaft. Laughed, shook my head, walked out to my car.

>

> You've omitted a key fact for your story...

I sit around 106-108. The place I practice has Top Tracer, and my “flat carry” distance is typically 250 to 260. GPS on course confirms that.

> @KGilma said:

> I started playing golf again last summer after 15 years. I went to golf galaxy to look for some new clubs, on their monitor it said my swing speed was about 110 and I was carrying 280 consistently with the driver. I never saw that on the course. Since then I've been back a few times trying different clubs and all of a sudden my SS is 100 and I'm carrying 245-250 (which is what I'm seeing on the course). Now, last summer I had not swung a club in probably 2 months when I decided to go shopping that day. Still to this day even when I'm swinging out of my shoes I can't hit 110 mph SS. Maybe they needed to recalibrate it...

That's crazy because any/every time I have ever hit balls in their simulator over the years I hit it way LESS far than I do in real life. Maybe it is just the monitors in GR, MI...

[u]Current Set Up:[/u]
TaylorMade Sim2 Max w/ Pro Launch Red
Nike Vapor Speed 3 wood w/ Pro Launch Red
Nike Vapor Fly 5 wood w/ EPIC T90
Callaway X-forged 2013 4-PW PXi 
Cleveland Zip Core 50*

Cleveland Zip Core 56*

Cleveland Zip Core 60*
Odyssey O-Works #7s

> @kcd38 said:

> I found a used set of P790's at Golf Galaxy yesterday so I grabbed a few balls and started hitting. Now I know these clubs are a little lower spinning due to the lofts, but I was getting spin rates in the low 4000's with the 7 iron. I grabbed a mizuno mp18 SC, my current gamer, and hit some shots and found the same result.

>

> I definitely am a higher spin player. When I hit a green, my ball is rarely more than 5 feet from the pitch mark with my irons.

>

> Have any of you seen this with launch monitors at Golf Galaxy? I don't want to say that they are rigging them, but I have a hard time believing they are accurate based on those iron shots.

Your on course results do not necessarily reflect being a high spin player. You could be a high launch, high peak height, and steep descent angle player but maintain somewhat low spin rates. I worked at a big box store that had GC2 for a LONG time and have now been on a GCQuad regularly and found results like you saw. My launch was high but it always spun <5000 with everything, unless I was using something crazy weak like an MB. When I was on Quad it confirmed why, a peak height about 10-15 feet over my swing speed, a descent angle of 46-47, lots of dynamic loft. It is what it is. There are lots of ways to get the ball to stop and height is the easiest way as spin is unpredictable.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium