Random Bandon Thread

buzlinbuzlin NorCalMembers Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gents,
I'm starting this thread as a way for us to post random stuff about Bandon. Could be anything, pics, stories, suggestions, whatever you want. I often have things I want to post but don't want to thread jack, and they're not worth starting a new specific thread. So here goes nothing.
Probably posted before but here are a couple pics of DMKs bag. He was on property for the 20th Anniversary of Bandon Dunes. Don't know if he was out there working on anything.

G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
915F 15, Rogue Black stiff
913H, 19, 21, Tour Green stiff
Miura CB57 4/5-pw KBS Tour stiff (or Tourstage 909 4/5-pw)
Vokey, SM6, 50F, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Comments

• bird206bird206 Members Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

The caddy shack center has a putting green in the middle of the parking lot. I'm guessing it's there to kill time for caddys waiting to get called. Pretty nice of the management to do that.

• duffer987duffer987 I'm old enough to remember a time when Ignore and Feedback worked. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,335 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2019 5:49am #3

I like random. I like Bandon.
    For kicks I had a rummage and dug up my second Bandon reservation - total last minute trip and still got really good times!
    Got in 5 1/2 rounds in 3 days, when Trails was partially shut. Don't think you can do that in February anymore.

January 30, 2013 6:08 PM

Dear Duffer987,

Thank you for planning your visit to Bandon Dunes Golf Resort. We are pleased to confirm the following tee times for you:

Date Course Tee Time # of People Green Fees Caddie
    Request
    2/16/2013 Old Macdonald 7:40 AM 1 1 @ $95 None
    2/16/2013 Bandon Dunes 12:50 PM 1 1 @ $50 None
    2/17/2013 Pacific Dunes 8:10 AM 1 1 @ $95 None
    2/18/2013 Old Macdonald 9:30 AM 1 1 @ $95 None

• tad950tad950 Members Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this link to Bandon's 20th Anniversary Magazine has been posted anywhere. I would imagine most people on this site are already aware of it. But here it is anyway.
    http://bandon2019.dreamgolfresorts.com/

• wtoomeywtoomey Lefty Boomers Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭

The change to the bunker of Bandon #15

• buzlinbuzlin NorCalMembers Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wtoomey said:
    The change to the bunker of Bandon #15!

I understand why they made the changes, but I don't like them. That hole was a mentally intimidating risk/reward hole. One of my favorite on any of the courses. That said, I love trying to control a cut.

G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was there last week and while I was warming up Bill Coore (and 2 others) flew in on a helicopter and landed on Shortys #1 tee box; was shuttled someplace, then came back, jumped in the copter and then the copter spent about an hour over the Sheep Ranch, presumably surveying the work from above. Not sure if they landed on the Sheep Ranch.

• bird206bird206 Members Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

Did anyone notice the electrical wiring coming out of the bunkers at Bandon? I think somebody says it was in preparation for the television camera equipment needed for the USGA 4ball tourney. Can anyone confirm that?

• buzlinbuzlin NorCalMembers Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed something like that in the fairway bunkers on 18. Didn't notice them elsewhere.

G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t have anything random but I suspect this thread will drum up some interesting posts.

Good idea for a thread, OP.

G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • mallratmallrat Members Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they are doing one of those in bunker hidden cams. It could be a guide wire as well, never seen one in a bunker but generally those are the only loose wires you’ll find on a course

• snipersniper Members Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the random thread.

I’m currently planning my first trip to Bandon. Looking at June 2020. I can’t convince any buddies to commit so the $&@! with them I’m going solo. My girlfriend would like to go and combine with a few days in San Fran/Nappa or Sonoma Valley. Any suggestions or advice?

Also does anyone change wedges or wedge bounce for Bandon?

• desailledesaille Members Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2019 4:05pm #13

@wtoomey said:
    The change to the bunker of Bandon #15

That's a huge change. They already cleared out the left side of hole which used to be (gorse?) or just tall grass, balls hit there left can possibly now roll onto the green.
    Bunkers are a PITA to maintain, but wow, this change is huge.

• desailledesaille Members Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if they will have rough to catch the ball from coming all the way back?
    If no rough, missing there and rolling down, the play could be to bump it up left so you can still have a putt.

• brownmbrownm x-ray doc Members Posts: 329 ✭✭✭✭

@sniper said:

I’m currently planning my first trip to Bandon. Looking at June 2020. I can’t convince any buddies to commit so the $&@! with them I’m going solo. My girlfriend would like to go and combine with a few days in San Fran/Nappa or Sonoma Valley. Any suggestions or advice?

Longish drive from SF, but very scenic. There are great hiking trails to the beach on property, gives you a chance to look up at the holes perched on the cliffs from down on the beach.
    The town of Bandon is fun, with a few areas worth an evening walk. Nothing fancy, but definitely a cool fishing village.
    If you are both outdoorsy, then head north to the Dunes Recreation area and rent a sand board. Exhausting but a unique experience. This is a whole day activity, or something to do on a day you play the preserve. You will be tired.

• Dr. HackDr. Hack Members Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited Jun 2, 2019 10:54am #16

If I was doing the drive down to SF I'd stop at Northwood for a round for sure. But i'm an architecture geek. There's just not a lot of other times you'll find yourself in Santa Rosa. Then I'd spend the night in Sonoma or Petaluma (wine country), and hit the city the next day or stick around for more wine. I've been wanting to take advantage of a connection at Mayacama....hmmmm.....sounds like a fun trip.

• wxworkoffwxworkoff Members Posts: 21 ✭✭

@sniper said:

Regarding the wedges...I didn’t change anything when I was there for the first time in October, but left my 54 out of the bag, and just went with my 50/8 and 58/12. In a perfect world, maybe I’d take. 50/6 and 58/14–I found the greenside bunker sand there to be very thick and fluffy, and theorize more bounce could help there. That and the tighter lies and firmer turf seem to favor less bounce on turf swings and short game shots. But in the end, does it matter? Probably not. At least for me...but I’m not good enough for the small details to matter! Lol.

I certainly don’t think it’s worth spending money on new wedges just to take to Bandon.

• ClambakeClambake Members Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭✭

The walking trails around the resort offer a nice respite from golf and offer some enjoyable sites.

• DustlnTheWindDustlnTheWind OregonMembers Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited Jun 5, 2019 4:45pm #20

Love Bandon hence my profile pic. Been twice and think Bandon Trails is very underrated. I would rate them 1,2,3,4 as Pac Dunes, Trails, Bandon Dunes, Old Mac. I'm going to go again in 2020 once the Sheep course opens up.

Oregon
    HCP: 3.9
    Ping G410+ Project X EvenFlow Black 75
    Callaway X2 Hot Deep Pro 3W 14.5° Aldila Tour Green 75 Graphite
    Callaway Apex CF 16 3-P Xstiff
    Callaway X Jaws 52/58
    Odyssey White Hot Tour Rossie
    ProV1X

• Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have they announced the opening date for Sheep?

• duffer987duffer987 I'm old enough to remember a time when Ignore and Feedback worked. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,335 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 31, 2019 10:30pm #22

No. But worth checking here now and again: https://sheepranch.golf/
    And you can also sign up for updates on Sheep Ranch there.

• eboettneeboettne Members Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

@DustlnTheWind said:
    Love Bandon hence my profile pic. Been twice and think Bandon Trails is very underrated. I would rate them 1,2,3,4 as Pac Dunes, Trails, Bandon Dunes, Old Mac. I'm going to go again in 2020 once the Sheep course opens up.

I could've written this post, same rating and also going in 2020 to play sheep. Good taste!

• spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@duffer987 said:
    No. But worth checking here now and again: https://sheepranch.golf/
    And you can also sign up for updates on Sheep Ranch there.

Great pics on that site. Mouthwatering...

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 12,080 mod

Stoked that I finally booked my first trip there in October 2020. When I booked a month ago, the Lodge rooms were already sold out for almost a year and a half out! No matter, we got King Golf singles in the Inn and booked 2 tee times a day for four days. Will be cancelling at least 1 to play Sheep Ranch when it opens.

M3 12* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 65x
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Yes Callie i4 35" / Chromesoft Truvis

Quick question that may not belong in this thread. What are the chances that Sheep Ranch has preview play in March 2020? The course already looks so green that I'm trying to be optimistic it could happen.

edited Aug 2, 2019 3:11pm #27

@eboettne said:
    Quick question that may not belong in this thread. What are the chances that Sheep Ranch has preview play in March 2020? The course already looks so green that I'm trying to be optimistic it could happen.

Did you read the two posts immediately before your previous one?
    And my uneducated guess is zero, zero chance. You don't open (preview or otherwise) a course for play for the first time in March in the PNW.

• IamRyanFrankIamRyanFrank Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

Love the Random thread of Bandon idea. I recently made my first post on here about me and my 3 buddies finally booking a Bandon trip. We go late March of 2020. Cant wait for it! Have a great trip planned getting all of the courses in. I know the first day of 36 is going to be tight time wise BUT its going to be epic!
    TEE TIMES
    Date Course Tee Time # of People Green Fees Caddie Request
    03/29/2020 Bandon Preserve 2:00 PM 4 4 @ $75 None
    03/30/2020 Old Macdonald 9:40 AM 4 4 @ $155 None
    03/30/2020 Bandon Dunes 2:50 PM 4 4 @ $80 None
    03/31/2020 Bandon Trails 7:30 AM 4 4 @ $155 None
    03/31/2020 Pacific Dunes 2:30 PM 4 4 @ $80 None
    04/01/2020 Bandon Dunes 8:10 AM 4 4 @ $TBD None

• spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think I posted this some time back, but here's a cool site where you can create a calendar with sunrise/sunset times:

https://www.sunrisesunset.com/USA/Oregon/Bandon.asp

Very helpful for setting tee times to get more than 18 in for those off/shoulder-season trips

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"
    edited Aug 2, 2019 7:39pm #30

@duffer987 said:

@eboettne said:

Did you read the two posts immediately before your previous one?
    And my uneducated guess is zero, zero chance. You don't open (preview or otherwise) a course for play for the first time in March in the PNW.

I did and the answer was not in either. I'm wondering about preview play, not the official open.

• dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 12,080 mod

@spud3 said:
    I think I posted this some time back, but here's a cool site where you can create a calendar with sunrise/sunset times:

https://www.sunrisesunset.com/USA/Oregon/Bandon.asp

Very helpful for setting tee times to get more than 18 in for those off/shoulder-season trips

When I made my reservations, the woman on the phone went over all of this in detail when we were setting up our tee times.

M3 12* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 65x
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Yes Callie i4 35" / Chromesoft Truvis

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file