Driver - Correcting Inside Out Path/Grip - Hook

kjesnaps ·  
kjesnapskjesnaps Members  2WRX Points: 2Posts: 2 Starters

Hey All,
Brand new here but come seeking advice! A little context - been playing "seriously" about 2 years. Don't have an official handicap but likely in the 13-15 range.

Biggest flaw in my golf game is consistency off the tee. I've had days where I'll consistently put it out 280-300 and find fairways, and on those days I generally sniff sub 80 rounds. But more often than not i'm hitting low hooks off the tee that dive hard to the left. I know my swing path is too far in to out but I'm having trouble diagnosing exactly where that is coming from. I have a very strong grip that I've been trying to neutralize a tad and it's lead to a few slices on the range which I've NEVER hit before. Obviously slices aren't good, but I view it as progress!

Video - Straight On Slow Mo:
https://imgur.com/a/ypMMcoX

Down the line (my classic hook in this one!):
https://imgur.com/a/akD0k7D

Never had anyone try and help me with my swing so I'm very curious what you guys notice!

Thanks!
kjesnaps

Posted:

Comments

• kjesnapskjesnaps Members  2WRX Points: 2Posts: 2 Starters

Any thoughts?!

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • JkinluvJkinluv Members  45WRX Points: 28Posts: 45 Bunkers

Good posture and grip. I would turn the hips more in the back swing and turn them sooner in the downswing.

Like the previous post said, eliminate the need to try and use your hands to turn the club over or square it. It is naturally square from the grip, just let the torso bring the club around etc.

Posted:

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1766937/roast-my-swing-driver-dtl#latest

This one is in our forum too, check out the hip turn at full bs and then when he releases them on the ds.

Posted:
  • aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers  624WRX Points: 772Posts: 624 Golden Tee

The biggest issue I see right off the bat is your grip. I'm all for a strong grip but to mine eyes, yours is WAY too strong. You're kind of robbing yourself of distance for one as you wouldn't be able to fully release through the ball without sending it - as you described - diving dead left. Only if your timing is impeccable will that NOT happen but even then you're having to hold back through the ball to avoid completely shutting the face.

Otherwise, your setup looks great and you start a good turn but your hips never seem to go with it as Jk says. They clear just enough coming through but I know when I hit my miss - a big pull hook - it's always because my hips didn't get out of the way.

But the first suggestion I'd have is to weaken your grip a bit. Because it's gonna be a rare occasion you arrive at the ball with anything but a closed clubface.

Posted:

Titleist TS4 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 FW 15°, 18°
    Titleist TS2 Hybrid 19° 22°
    Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-6
    Mizuno MP-20 MB 7-PW
    Miura 52°, 56° RTG
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

I agree. I had a pull hook problem and my coach has me go with a 1.5 2 knuckle grip to help with that. First swing after was amazing.

Posted:
  • Go_TimeGo_Time Members  2585WRX Points: 311Posts: 2,585 Titanium Tees

Your grip is beyond out of control strong. I'm not sure it's possible that it be stronger...by 'strong grip' standards you are well past strong particularly with your lower hand. I don't think you need to weaken your trip a "tad" you need to play with a neutral grip, period. What do you mean you're trying to neutralize it? You're either doing it or you're not, grip is a static component of set up. Put your left thumb on top of the grip label, and your right thumb on the right edge of the label.

Who told you that your swing path is too far in-to-out? Slicing with an In to out path and a strong grip, even neutralized a tad, does not compute.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.