Spotted - New PXG blades - May 2019

12346»

Comments

• DatSliceDoeDatSliceDoe Camerons & Cobras One fairway overMembers Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Snax said:

@DatSliceDoe said:

@Laznasty said:

@DatSliceDoe said:
    Anyone paying full price for these ought to have their head examined. Or their wallet. May as well hand that over.

They need their head examined because you wouldn't buy them? Great diagnosis doc.

@snagy2000 said:

@DatSliceDoe said:
    Anyone paying full price for these ought to have their head examined. Or their wallet. May as well hand that over.

It's their wallet...Best you worry about yours and let them worry about theirs...#KeepInYourLane

I have my opinion, you have yours. Spend all you want. It is clearly such a niche product anyhow. However PXG has collectively dragged the market pricing UP across the board that grinds my gears. TM releasing a $1700 set should alarm anyone.

I think you could also argue they dragged the quality up as well. People aren’t all of a sudden paying $1700 for a set that would’ve otherwise been $900 in the absence of PXG.

A few years ago $900 would buy you a very nice set that I bet would be a few yards shorter and perhaps not as cool looking as today's clubs. The market has certainly changed dramatically since I left the industry in 2014.

I believe quality comes down to consistency of the manufacturing process and design elements that stand the test of time. I remember when Yoro irons or Itobori were considered very expensive clubs. They were handcrafted by some of the best golf artisans in the world. Now, those are considered mid tier price range compared to things like PXG, TM P790Ti, Callyway Epic Forged all cost far more for mass produced, primarily cast clubs with insane lofts. CNC milling and injectable designs are all the rage. Even Tiger is on board this train for his own personal reasons which are actually pretty understandable for someone who can literally tell if a club is 2 grams too heavy or light, or has a bubble under the grip tape. Most players don't have that perception, and should spend their money on clubs they hit every single hole like driver or putter. Or better yet, lessons, or more golf!

I'll continue to defend a market where lower priced goods are better for the average player. Perhaps some of this tech will trickle down into lower priced clubs and benefit the average player's budget...but the manufacturing processes don't lend themselves to mass production at affordable scale. I liken it to a supercar with a carbon fiber monocoque design. You won't be seeing that trickle down into your average family soccer hauler anytime soon.

• SM8SM8 Members Posts: 25 ✭✭

That’s how I felt when I had an original flip phone, then that %#%# company came out with the iPhone. Haven’t been able to buy a new phone for less than $700 ever since

• SnaxSnax Members Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

@DatSliceDoe said:

@Snax said:

@DatSliceDoe said:

@Laznasty said:

@DatSliceDoe said:

They need their head examined because you wouldn't buy them? Great diagnosis doc.

@snagy2000 said:

@DatSliceDoe said:

It's their wallet...Best you worry about yours and let them worry about theirs...#KeepInYourLane

I have my opinion, you have yours. Spend all you want. It is clearly such a niche product anyhow. However PXG has collectively dragged the market pricing UP across the board that grinds my gears. TM releasing a $1700 set should alarm anyone.

I think you could also argue they dragged the quality up as well. People aren’t all of a sudden paying $1700 for a set that would’ve otherwise been $900 in the absence of PXG.

A few years ago $900 would buy you a very nice set that I bet would be a few yards shorter and perhaps not as cool looking as today's clubs. The market has certainly changed dramatically since I left the industry in 2014.

I believe quality comes down to consistency of the manufacturing process and design elements that stand the test of time. I remember when Yoro irons or Itobori were considered very expensive clubs. They were handcrafted by some of the best golf artisans in the world. Now, those are considered mid tier price range compared to things like PXG, TM P790Ti, Callyway Epic Forged all cost far more for mass produced, primarily cast clubs with insane lofts. CNC milling and injectable designs are all the rage. Even Tiger is on board this train for his own personal reasons which are actually pretty understandable for someone who can literally tell if a club is 2 grams too heavy or light, or has a bubble under the grip tape. Most players don't have that perception, and should spend their money on clubs they hit every single hole like driver or putter. Or better yet, lessons, or more golf!

I'll continue to defend a market where lower priced goods are better for the average player. Perhaps some of this tech will trickle down into lower priced clubs and benefit the average player's budget...but the manufacturing processes don't lend themselves to mass production at affordable scale. I liken it to a supercar with a carbon fiber monocoque design. You won't be seeing that trickle down into your average family soccer hauler anytime soon.

You all seem like the old man standing in front yard yelling at the clouds. If you want a set or have a price point of $900, then shop a set in that price range. But don’t sit here and belittle multiple companies who continue to create new products, and those people who buy them, because the price point is too high for you.

Profit is not a dirty word, and these companies are not charities. If people won’t pay the market price, the price will fall or the product will cease to exist.

• ago33ago33 Members Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

$650 per iron?

How can anyone that wealthy have the time to play blades?

Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Mitsubishi PO 70 TX
    Tour Edge CBX 13.5.......................................Rombax P95 X
    Tour Edge CBX 18..........................................Rombax P95 X
    Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................DGTIX100
    Mizuno MP-25 6-9........................................DGTIX100
    Callaway MD Forged 46, 50, 56, 60........DGTIS400
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master
  • DZ973DZ973 ClubWRX Posts: 29 ✭✭

@ago33 said:
    $650 per iron?

How can anyone that wealthy have the time to play blades?

Easy, it's called "hiring the right people"

Also, all the people crying about the price point......(megaphone on) THESE IRONS ARENT MARKETED TO YOU SO STOP COMPLAINING! (megaphone off). Head to the local golf store and see if you can get a set of apex cf16s with DG XP95s for 300 bucks on final blow outs.

Had gen 1s, have gen 2s now, and will get these. Why? Cause I can.......

And if I couldn't afford them, I wouldn't be complaining about how much they are. I just dont understand all the whining and moaning about 650/club.......move along.

• 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Golf clubs are not unique in the increasing price point. When I left cycling 8 years ago a top of the line off the rack bike was $3,000 dollars. That would buy you a race ready excellent bike. I walked into a bike shop the other day and they had $12,000 bikes on the rack. The cheapest they had, race ready, was over $6,000.
    PXG is not in and of itself driving the club industry into higher prices. Its just the way it is. Things get more expensive. You don't need to buy at that price point. Its a decision you can make.

• golfinguru11golfinguru11 Bay AreaMembers Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I’ll break it down like this. They’re $650 a club because they’re CNC milled. The only advantage of CNC milling is weight tolerance, every iron will be the same. Unless you’re Tiger and can feel the difference between two or three grams of head weight, this does nothing for you. Other than that there is nothing here that the MP 20 won’t have. They look sick and will make you the cool guy for a few weeks at your club, but they likely won’t lower your scores. Not to mention they’re 8620 steel, meaning they likely will not feel as soft as a Mizuno.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5* - Aldila 130msi Rogue Black 60 tx 
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* - Accra TZ6 75 x
    Callaway Apex 19 Hybrid 20* - VA Raijin 84 x
    Miura CB LH 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 125 s
    Vokey SM7 RAW 52F 56S 60D - DG S300
    Odyssey stroke lab 7s/ Bettinardi BB2

Lead tape enthusiast
  • ShakespeareShakespeare Members Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

@golfinguru11 said:
    I’ll break it down like this. They’re $650 a club because they’re CNC milled. The only advantage of CNC milling is weight tolerance, every iron will be the same. Unless you’re Tiger and can feel the difference between two or three grams of head weight, this does nothing for you. Other than that there is nothing here that the MP 20 won’t have. They look sick and will make you the cool guy for a few weeks at your club, but they likely won’t lower your scores. Not to mention they’re 8620 steel, meaning they likely will not feel as soft as a Mizuno.

Blah...blah...blah...cool guy at my club..im in...blah..blah...blah...

• WaytallWaytall Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

You get what you pay for. PXG irons are known for their feel and forgiveness. These will probably follow suit which will make plenty of guys buy them. I know I would throw down the cheddar BUT I’ll likely never be be good enough to play them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file