Spotted - New PXG blades - May 2019

Comments

• DatSliceDoeDatSliceDoe Camerons & Cobras One fairway overMembers  2461WRX Points: 371Handicap: 9ishPosts: 2,461 Platinum Tees

On -, @Snax said:

On -, @DatSliceDoe said:

On -, @Laznasty said:

On -, @DatSliceDoe said:

Anyone paying full price for these ought to have their head examined. Or their wallet. May as well hand that over.

They need their head examined because you wouldn't buy them? Great diagnosis doc.

On -, @snagy2000 said:

On -, @DatSliceDoe said:

Anyone paying full price for these ought to have their head examined. Or their wallet. May as well hand that over.

It's their wallet...Best you worry about yours and let them worry about theirs...#KeepInYourLane

I have my opinion, you have yours. Spend all you want. It is clearly such a niche product anyhow. However PXG has collectively dragged the market pricing UP across the board that grinds my gears. TM releasing a $1700 set should alarm anyone.

I think you could also argue they dragged the quality up as well. People aren’t all of a sudden paying $1700 for a set that would’ve otherwise been $900 in the absence of PXG.

A few years ago $900 would buy you a very nice set that I bet would be a few yards shorter and perhaps not as cool looking as today's clubs. The market has certainly changed dramatically since I left the industry in 2014.

I believe quality comes down to consistency of the manufacturing process and design elements that stand the test of time. I remember when Yoro irons or Itobori were considered very expensive clubs. They were handcrafted by some of the best golf artisans in the world. Now, those are considered mid tier price range compared to things like PXG, TM P790Ti, Callyway Epic Forged all cost far more for mass produced, primarily cast clubs with insane lofts. CNC milling and injectable designs are all the rage. Even Tiger is on board this train for his own personal reasons which are actually pretty understandable for someone who can literally tell if a club is 2 grams too heavy or light, or has a bubble under the grip tape. Most players don't have that perception, and should spend their money on clubs they hit every single hole like driver or putter. Or better yet, lessons, or more golf!

I'll continue to defend a market where lower priced goods are better for the average player. Perhaps some of this tech will trickle down into lower priced clubs and benefit the average player's budget...but the manufacturing processes don't lend themselves to mass production at affordable scale. I liken it to a supercar with a carbon fiber monocoque design. You won't be seeing that trickle down into your average family soccer hauler anytime soon.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • SM8SM8 Members  37WRX Points: 95Handicap: Varies-Betting or BraggingPosts: 37 Bunkers

That’s how I felt when I had an original flip phone, then that %#%# company came out with the iPhone. Haven’t been able to buy a new phone for less than $700 ever since

Posted:
  • SnaxSnax Members  199WRX Points: 82Handicap: 4.5Posts: 199 Fairways

On -, @DatSliceDoe said:

On -, @Snax said:

On -, @DatSliceDoe said:

On -, @Laznasty said:

On -, @DatSliceDoe said:

They need their head examined because you wouldn't buy them? Great diagnosis doc.

On -, @snagy2000 said:

On -, @DatSliceDoe said:

It's their wallet...Best you worry about yours and let them worry about theirs...#KeepInYourLane

I have my opinion, you have yours. Spend all you want. It is clearly such a niche product anyhow. However PXG has collectively dragged the market pricing UP across the board that grinds my gears. TM releasing a $1700 set should alarm anyone.

I think you could also argue they dragged the quality up as well. People aren’t all of a sudden paying $1700 for a set that would’ve otherwise been $900 in the absence of PXG.

A few years ago $900 would buy you a very nice set that I bet would be a few yards shorter and perhaps not as cool looking as today's clubs. The market has certainly changed dramatically since I left the industry in 2014.

I believe quality comes down to consistency of the manufacturing process and design elements that stand the test of time. I remember when Yoro irons or Itobori were considered very expensive clubs. They were handcrafted by some of the best golf artisans in the world. Now, those are considered mid tier price range compared to things like PXG, TM P790Ti, Callyway Epic Forged all cost far more for mass produced, primarily cast clubs with insane lofts. CNC milling and injectable designs are all the rage. Even Tiger is on board this train for his own personal reasons which are actually pretty understandable for someone who can literally tell if a club is 2 grams too heavy or light, or has a bubble under the grip tape. Most players don't have that perception, and should spend their money on clubs they hit every single hole like driver or putter. Or better yet, lessons, or more golf!

I'll continue to defend a market where lower priced goods are better for the average player. Perhaps some of this tech will trickle down into lower priced clubs and benefit the average player's budget...but the manufacturing processes don't lend themselves to mass production at affordable scale. I liken it to a supercar with a carbon fiber monocoque design. You won't be seeing that trickle down into your average family soccer hauler anytime soon.

You all seem like the old man standing in front yard yelling at the clouds. If you want a set or have a price point of $900, then shop a set in that price range. But don’t sit here and belittle multiple companies who continue to create new products, and those people who buy them, because the price point is too high for you.

Profit is not a dirty word, and these companies are not charities. If people won’t pay the market price, the price will fall or the product will cease to exist.

Posted:

PXG Proto 0811X Rogue Silver 130 60TX

PXG Gen2 0341X 15* Atmos TS Black 70x

PXG Gen 2 0317X 17* Hzrsdus Black 100x

PXG Gen 3 0311 4-PW Nippon Modus 120x

Vokey SM7 50F/54D/58D

Bettinardi Queen Bee 8 34"

• ago33ago33 Members  2199WRX Points: 146Posts: 2,199 Platinum Tees

$650 per iron?

How can anyone that wealthy have the time to play blades?

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Mitsubishi PO 70 TX
    Tour Edge CBX 13.5.......................................Rombax P95 X
    Tour Edge CBX 18..........................................Rombax P95 X
    Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................DGTIX100
    Mizuno MP-25 6-9........................................DGTIX100
    Callaway MD Forged 46, 50, 56, 60........DGTIS400
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master
  • DZ973DZ973 ClubWRX  73WRX Points: 63Handicap: 9Posts: 73 Bunkers

On -, @ago33 said:

$650 per iron?

How can anyone that wealthy have the time to play blades?

Easy, it's called "hiring the right people"

Also, all the people crying about the price point......(megaphone on) THESE IRONS ARENT MARKETED TO YOU SO STOP COMPLAINING! (megaphone off). Head to the local golf store and see if you can get a set of apex cf16s with DG XP95s for 300 bucks on final blow outs.

Had gen 1s, have gen 2s now, and will get these. Why? Cause I can.......

And if I couldn't afford them, I wouldn't be complaining about how much they are. I just dont understand all the whining and moaning about 650/club.......move along.

Posted:
  • 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers  3846WRX Points: 335Posts: 3,846 Titanium Tees

Golf clubs are not unique in the increasing price point. When I left cycling 8 years ago a top of the line off the rack bike was $3,000 dollars. That would buy you a race ready excellent bike. I walked into a bike shop the other day and they had $12,000 bikes on the rack. The cheapest they had, race ready, was over $6,000.
    PXG is not in and of itself driving the club industry into higher prices. Its just the way it is. Things get more expensive. You don't need to buy at that price point. Its a decision you can make.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • golfinguru11golfinguru11 Nor CalMembers  333WRX Points: 227Handicap: 1.8Posts: 333 Greens

I’ll break it down like this. They’re $650 a club because they’re CNC milled. The only advantage of CNC milling is weight tolerance, every iron will be the same. Unless you’re Tiger and can feel the difference between two or three grams of head weight, this does nothing for you. Other than that there is nothing here that the MP 20 won’t have. They look sick and will make you the cool guy for a few weeks at your club, but they likely won’t lower your scores. Not to mention they’re 8620 steel, meaning they likely will not feel as soft as a Mizuno.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5* - Aldila 130msi Rogue Black 60 tx 
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* - Accra TZ6 75 x
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - VA Raijin 84 x
    Mizuno MP-54 (4,5) MP-20 (6-PW) - Nippon Modus 125 s
    Vokey SM7 RAW 52F 56S 60D - Nippon Modus 125 wedge
    Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball 

Lefty, Lead tape enthusiast
  • ShakespeareShakespeare Members  209WRX Points: 101Posts: 209 Fairways

On -, @golfinguru11 said:

I’ll break it down like this. They’re $650 a club because they’re CNC milled. The only advantage of CNC milling is weight tolerance, every iron will be the same. Unless you’re Tiger and can feel the difference between two or three grams of head weight, this does nothing for you. Other than that there is nothing here that the MP 20 won’t have. They look sick and will make you the cool guy for a few weeks at your club, but they likely won’t lower your scores. Not to mention they’re 8620 steel, meaning they likely will not feel as soft as a Mizuno.

Blah...blah...blah...cool guy at my club..im in...blah..blah...blah...

Posted:
  • WaytallWaytall Members  86WRX Points: 47Handicap: 22Posts: 86 Fairways

You get what you pay for. PXG irons are known for their feel and forgiveness. These will probably follow suit which will make plenty of guys buy them. I know I would throw down the cheddar BUT I’ll likely never be be good enough to play them.

Posted:
  • golfinguru11golfinguru11 Nor CalMembers  333WRX Points: 227Handicap: 1.8Posts: 333 Greens

https://www.pxg.com/en-us/clubs/irons/0311st

Well, they’re for sale. And my dumb a** wants them. 6- PW @ $3300 is absurd though.

Posted:
    Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball 

• denvergolfdenvergolf Castle Pines, COMembers  1711WRX Points: 519Handicap: 1.2Posts: 1,711 Platinum Tees

Well, they’re for sale. And my dumb a** wants them. 6- PW @ $3300 is absurd though.

Buy some blueprints, P7TW and some Titleist blades.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik, 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
    Callaway Mavrik SZ, 15*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X
    Callaway Mavrik Pro 20* Hybrid, Atmos Black HB Tour Spec 9X
    TaylorMade P750 4i, P730 5-PW, PX 6.5
    Wedges - Jaws MD5 raw 52S, 56S, 60T, DG TI S400
    Piretti GOAT
    TayloreMade TP5

Advertisement

On -, @denvergolf said:

Buy some blueprints, P7TW and some Titleist blades.

No lefty P7TW, tried the blueprints and didn’t love them. mizunos and titleist are the likely choice.

Posted:
    Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball 

• SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX  1330WRX Points: 347Handicap: 7.6 and trendingPosts: 1,330 ClubWRX

Well if I could still hit a blade my dumba$$ would have them for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted:

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim Max 10.5* | UST Mamiya Attas Cool Stiff
    3 WD -       Taylor Made Sim Max 14.5* | Ventus Blue Stiff 
    HYBRIDS - PXG Gen 2 -  2 / 3 / 4 Hybrids | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
    IRONS -     PXG Gen 3 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
    WEDGES - Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
    GRIPS -      JumboMax XL Ultralight grips on ALL 
    PUTTER -   PXG Gunboat H 
    BAG -         PXG Staff Bag
    BALLS -     Snell MTB Black / Pro V1

• Tourplaya21Tourplaya21 DetroitMembers  26WRX Points: 48Handicap: 9Posts: 26 Bunkers

If PXG were priced competitively I would most certainly purchase.

Posted:

Cobra F8+ Driver
    Cobra F8 3-4 Wood
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-P
    Nike VR Pro X3X 52, 56, 60
    Cleveland 2i Putter

• StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members  1816WRX Points: 279Handicap: ?Posts: 1,816 Platinum Tees

High price? Ya. Worth it? Not at all. Good looking? Ya. Does that justify the price? Nope. Do I like PXG? Sure. Does that make these irons worth it? Still no. What am I going to do about it? Point and laugh at you for spending that much and sucking with them.
    You little girls care to much about what people think with the clubs you buy. If you shank it with the XF version then you’ll shank it with this version.

Posted:
  • snagy2000snagy2000 Members  1885WRX Points: 418Posts: 1,885 Platinum Tees

On -, @Tourplaya21 said:

But then they would be just an ordinary OEM and not PXG....

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Tourplaya21Tourplaya21 DetroitMembers  26WRX Points: 48Handicap: 9Posts: 26 Bunkers

On -, @snagy2000 said:

On -, @Tourplaya21 said:

IMO their styling is very attractive to me, not just because they cost 1.5x everything else.

Posted:

Cobra F8+ Driver
    Cobra F8 3-4 Wood
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-P
    Nike VR Pro X3X 52, 56, 60
    Cleveland 2i Putter

• SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX  1330WRX Points: 347Handicap: 7.6 and trendingPosts: 1,330 ClubWRX

On -, @snagy2000 said:

On -, @Tourplaya21 said:

No they wouldn't, they would be PXG.

Posted:

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim Max 10.5* | UST Mamiya Attas Cool Stiff
    3 WD -       Taylor Made Sim Max 14.5* | Ventus Blue Stiff 
    HYBRIDS - PXG Gen 2 -  2 / 3 / 4 Hybrids | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
    IRONS -     PXG Gen 3 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
    WEDGES - Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
    GRIPS -      JumboMax XL Ultralight grips on ALL 
    PUTTER -   PXG Gunboat H 
    BAG -         PXG Staff Bag
    BALLS -     Snell MTB Black / Pro V1

Very nicely shaped....my guess the price will go down a little once they are out for awhile...still might be too much for me

Posted:

I couldn’t game these but wow they look amazing. Expensive sure, but given that most custom milled putters are at this price point (or more $), is this price really off base? Imagine what a full set of lamb irons would cost? You’d need a second mortgage.
    Looking forward to reading the reviews

Posted:
  • kiwiikiwii Members  827WRX Points: 148Posts: 827 Golden Tee

Anyone hit these yet?

Posted:
    '17 M1 460 9.5/ Rogue Silver
    XR '14 Pro/ PX LZ
    Adams 9031 18°/ Diamana WB
    716 AP24-pw/DG AMT S300
    '14 TM TP 52/56/60
    2014 Squareback/ Lamkin DE + 2 wraps
    Ogio Ozone, TM targa tour
    Tour Boost 360
    TM TP5/ Srixon Zstar XV

Advertisement
  • mojo33543mojo33543 Members  231WRX Points: 89Posts: 231 Fairways

Will look better without those black screws. IMO

Posted:
  • prouse25prouse25 ILMembers  383WRX Points: 96Handicap: 2Posts: 383 Greens

Hit them today. Felt like a really nice blade. The PXG rep only had the 7 iron. I would say that they are slightly more forgiving than a traditional blade (Titleist MB). But they are still a blade. Very compact and a nice thin top-line.

Ball flight was lower than the PXG “P” version. I play the original PXG iron - pre “P” designation. Like other blades, poor swings will result in distance loss. I didn’t hit enough to get reliable TrackMan data.

I could easily play these things. Certainly in the scoring irons. 3 and 4 irons could be more of a challenge. In the end, my current PXG irons are probably much more forgiving and I already own them :).

Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10348WRX Points: 3,549Handicap: 8Posts: 10,348 ClubWRX

It is funny that people throw out 8620 as a knock. It has the exact same hardness as 1020. You literally cannot tell the difference in feel between the two. 8620 is just an alloy... Much of feel has a lot more going on than just the metal used. Head shape, design, where mass is located, etc all come into play.

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • musclefrontmusclefront Members  448WRX Points: 365Posts: 448 Greens

On -, @SM8 said:

That’s how I felt when I had an original flip phone, then that %#%# company came out with the iPhone. Haven’t been able to buy a new phone for less than $700 ever since

Except that the iPhone had groundbreaking tech (touch screen, internet access, gps, email etc) where PXG are just pings with a bunch of screws and an elitist attitude.

Posted:

On -, @musclefront said:

On -, @SM8 said:

Except that the iPhone had groundbreaking tech (touch screen, internet access, gps, email etc) where PXG are just pings with a bunch of screws and an elitist attitude.

Say what you will about their clubs, kind of tough to be groundbreaking with a hunk of metal. The screws are an advancement in iron technology, how much is a debate. “elitist attitude” is a bit of a stretch. I think the Heroes program and their school programs alone completely go against anything an “elitist” would do.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • COmedicCOmedic Members  187WRX Points: 69Posts: 187 Fairways

Great looking, would love to hit them. It’s no different than a car, bike, etc. Shop within a budget that is right for you and if your budget allows for it and they are the best fit, go for it! I love the look of PXG and appreciate they do something different than the average company. Maybe I don’t know enough PXG guys but know enough people with nice equipment that aren’t elitist jerks. Play golf and be happy!

Posted:
  • puresurfrpuresurfr Members  2307WRX Points: 221Posts: 2,307 Platinum Tees

Hope these are available on the Hero's program !

Posted:

On -, @puresurfr said:

Hope these are available on the Hero's program !

They are

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jgonz69jgonz69 Members  862WRX Points: 237Posts: 862 Golden Tee

On -, @SM8 said:

And if you would’ve invested in that company instead of whining about the price of the phones, you would be sitting pretty today.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.