Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

toulon putters

Mr. 31Mr. 31 Members Posts: 17 ✭✭

It seems to me that the Callaway staffers on tour have not chosen to game Toulon putters after Callaway bought the company. I am interested in everyone's opinion of this? I know Sergio uses one. Also, which model is closest to the Ping Anser and the Scotty Newport?

Callaway BIg Bertha Alpha 815 - Aldila Rogue Silver 60
Callaway XR16 - Speeder565 FW Evolution
Callaway Heavenwood 20* - RCH 75w
Callaway Razr X 3-PW - Uniflex
Callaway X Hot Pro 50* - Project X 
Titleist Vokey SM6 Chrome 54.08M 
Titleist Vokey SM6 Chrome 60.08M
Scotty Cameron 2014 GoLo 7

Comments

• Joker91Joker91 Westminster, COMembers Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look terrible with all the Odyssey on them. I was really excited for the Las Vegas until they added all that. Killed the brand for me.

• towncryertowncryer Members Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭

@Mr. 31 said:
    It seems to me that the Callaway staffers on tour have not chosen to game Toulon putters after Callaway bought the company. I am interested in everyone's opinion of this? I know Sergio uses one. Also, which model is closest to the Ping Anser and the Scotty Newport?

The Austin is close to an Anser or Newport with the shoulders parallel to the topline. The Madison has the shoulders that slope in towards the pocket.

G400 10.5 w/ Tour 65x
    915 2h Diamana D+
    PING iBlade 3-5 DGS400
    PING Blueprint 6-PW DGS400
    SM7 51, 56, 60 in Tour Chrome, DG S200
    Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
    Vice Pro Plus LIME!!!!
  • pakpak Members Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

I getting ready to try one out. I just purchased a satin Long Island from Callaway Golf Preowned. I think a pretty good deal for a premium milled putter for under $200.

• Spaulding S.Spaulding S. Members Posts: 68 ✭✭

I just got a used Portland in pristine shape at PGASS. The deal on it was hard to pass up. Putting well with it so far...

Are you gonna eat your fat?
  • JackpotJohnnyJackpotJohnny Members Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been gaming a Portland for awhile and picked up a Columbus on close out @ pgass because they aren’t making it anymore, but I absolutely hate the new look and wouldn’t consider another one

• Pi5seekerPi5seeker Members Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭

TGW has some older models for dirt cheap with code FC30...

Cobra F8 9.5* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
    Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
    Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
    Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
    Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
    Z-Star
    Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry
  • KevCannonKevCannon ClubWRX Posts: 281 ClubWRX

Toulon putters are great putters, have used one for past 3 years. With that being said I HATE what Odyssey did to that line of putter with the Odyssey logo and branding stamped everywhere and anywhere they could fit it. I game the prior models from a couple years ago, Austin and San Diego. To the previous poster: Austin most similar to classic Newport ( Anser ) San Diego most similar to Newport 2. The prior gen models feel close to the older Scotty’s without the insert. Very simple and classic looking and very good feel and feedback.

Callaway Rogue sub zero 9 degree w/ GD tour AD TP 7x 
    Callaway Epic flash sub zero 15 degree w/ GD tour AD TP 7x 
    Titleist 818 H2 19 degree w/ GD tour AD IZ hybrid 95x
    Callaway X Forged 4-9, Apex MB pitching wedge w/ Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50-F, Callaway MD4 54-S, 58-X w/ Project X 6.0
    Toulon San Diego putter
    Srixon Z Star XV ball
  • theboyslatertheboyslater Members Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

The price point is also crazy!

• TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 31,036 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I wanted to buy another Latrobe but the Toulon site says “coming soon”? Are they updated the Latrobe model or something?

• Mr. 31Mr. 31 Members Posts: 17 ✭✭

I was actually looking at some on Callaway's preowned site. I've putted some with the Austin and San Diego models at the local pgass and really liked them. Very sleek older models but Odyssey is really killing them with all the branding. They look like a Nascar now with all the logos and stamps. Thanks for the Austin=Anser=Newport reference.

Callaway BIg Bertha Alpha 815 - Aldila Rogue Silver 60
    Callaway XR16 - Speeder565 FW Evolution
    Callaway Heavenwood 20* - RCH 75w
    Callaway Razr X 3-PW - Uniflex
    Callaway X Hot Pro 50* - Project X 
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Chrome 54.08M 
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Chrome 60.08M
    Scotty Cameron 2014 GoLo 7
  • kauffeekauffee Members Posts: 24 ✭✭

I have an Atlanta with stroke lab shaft that's cut down to 32". The "Odyssey" logo in the back cavity is covered by lead tape to bring up the swingweight. That's one way to solve the problem. The putter has great feel. Don't stress about the logos.

• MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Molinari is using the Madison with the Toulon logo and a stroke lab shaft, not the newer version.

I'll agree with everyone else that the new ones with Odyssey slapped all over it like it's a Nascar race car. A local golf shop near me has a ton of the old Toulon putters on clearance and none of the new ones, if they had one in lefty I'd probably snatch one up cause they do feel pretty nice.

WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S Shaft
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S Shaft
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 - 20° Draw - Diamana S+ 70R Shaft
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300 Shaft
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Argolf Avalon - Toulon Sand Diego - Byron Morgan DH89 - and many more.
    Balls: Vice Pro+ - Srixon Z-Star XV
    Bag: Ping Pioneer
  • gmyers22gmyers22 Members Posts: 47 ✭✭

I personally have no problem with the new logo. My Las Vegas has been great so far and I have got lots of compliments on the putter.

• RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

All I know Is that milling puts a great roll on the ball and feels good.
    I had an Austin that I shouldn't have sold....
    I think their prices a ridiculous. Mass produced Stainless steel product @ $450? The same putters were 350-400 before Odyssey took over. And don't get me started on the Garage pricing...LOL

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS or Xhot 15* OG Blueboard 73s
    G 410 19* & 22*  Tensei Pro Blue 80s
    Apex 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s 
    RTX4 54/10 and 58/8 2 dots
    Bettinardi BB1/ Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)
    Some kind of 3 or 4 piece urethane covered soft feeling ball
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@RainShadow said:
    I think their prices a ridiculous. Mass produced Stainless steel product @ $450? The same putters were 350-400 before Odyssey took over. And don't get me started on the **Garage pricing...LOL **

You have three putters listed in your signature that total well over a Toulon Garage. Why not get what you want a putter to be and only have one?

WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2019 7:25pm #17

@Shilgy said:

@RainShadow said:
    I think their prices a ridiculous. Mass produced Stainless steel product @ $450? The same putters were 350-400 before Odyssey took over. And don't get me started on the **Garage pricing...LOL **

You have three putters listed in your signature that total well over a Toulon Garage. Why not get what you want a putter to be and only have one?

I kinda collect putters...What's it to ya? I like them all, but only rotate when they misbehave badly. LOL
    I really don't see Toulon Garage making anything custom other than finish, weight, hosel type and paintfill/stamping. The heads are exactly the same as retail.
    I can get a carbon steel, hand made and shaped in the USA for less from numerous other sources.
    JMO, I think they are over priced for what they are.... Over $700 for a pretty basic Austin in Black Pearl w/ bumper stamping and paintfill. Nothing really detailed at all.

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS or Xhot 15* OG Blueboard 73s
    G 410 19* & 22*  Tensei Pro Blue 80s
    Apex 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s 
    RTX4 54/10 and 58/8 2 dots
    Bettinardi BB1/ Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)
    Some kind of 3 or 4 piece urethane covered soft feeling ball
  • jreedjreed Members Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I just bought a previous model Atlanta. Loving it so far.

• golftechgolftech Members Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2019 7:20am #19

I really like my new Long Island Toulon. The lower pitch sound and solid feel sold me. Feel and speed control is excellent. But I am thinking about changing the shaft since I prefer a softer, more flexible shaft in my putter. It helps me feel the putter head swinging.

• PaulBoyPaulBoy Surrey, UKMembers Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joker91 said:
    They look terrible with all the Odyssey on them. I was really excited for the Las Vegas until they added all that. Killed the brand for me.

Hmm ... When I put my San Diego behind the ball & prepare to putt I can't see a single logo! - That's what matters to me, but we're all entitled to an opinion ... Paul

Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW c/w S300 AMT
    Mizuno S18 (Black IP) 49* 54* 58*
    TaylorMade M5 10.5* Driver c/w MRC Tensei Orange 60s
    Titleist 917 3 & 5 Woods c/w Mizuno TechFlex Stiff
    Callaway BBA 20* Hybrid c/w Speeder 865 Stiff
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser (Stealth)
  • Jc0Jc0 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

They aren't any better than the regular odyssey putters. If the player is used to cameron/milled putters they will probably gravitate towards Toulon. If the player likes inserts and more technology they will gravitate more towards the regular odyssey putters.

• brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I bought the Austin with sightline on top since the clearance price was too good not to give it a shot. It has benched my Cameron Studio Select Newport that had been in the bag for 2+ years. It just feels much better to me than the Cameron. Not sure if it's the diamond mill, but I don't care why. Of course this is based on testing on my indoor Tour Links green. Will hopefully get it on the course soon.

PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52F, 58M
    Black Lab BL-1
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 31,036 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

They must have sold out of Latrobe models. Still say “coming soon” on their website.

• craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@TheMoneyShot said:
    They must have sold out of Latrobe models. Still say “coming soon” on their website.

Would love a Latrobe!

Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    3 wood = Ping G410 Tour S
    Hybrid = Ping G410 Tour S
    Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • Spaulding S.Spaulding S. Members Posts: 68 ✭✭

Just bought a Columbus off of PGASS website for $179. Been looking for a slightly wider blade putter and looking forward to getting it in.

Are you gonna eat your fat?
  • MCCAMCCA Members Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well I have a San Diego i purchased from CPO in mint condition for $258, still had plastic on the grip. Can't understand why everyone **** about cost? buy what you want it's a milled 303 ss putter same material as Cameron. I love mine feel,look could not be more satisfied.

• towncryertowncryer Members Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭

@MCCA said:
    Well I have a San Diego i purchased from CPO in mint condition for $258, still had plastic on the grip. Can't understand why everyone **** about cost? buy what you want it's a milled 303 ss putter same material as Cameron. I love mine feel,look could not be more satisfied.

I think the cost of the base Toulon putter in stores is too much...$450 for an off the rack putter is a bit much. It's only $50 more than a Scotty...but if I were a hug OEM and wanted to cut into Scotty's market share of high end putters, I'd position myself RIGHT next to him in price or just under.

However, here's where Toulon wins...I just designed an Austin EXACTLY how I'd want a putter to look (no alignment aid), and it came out to $509. You can't get a Newport Select from Cameron without alignment aids...period...and $509 is a bargain compared to what you'd pay for a Cameron tour stick.

All that said, I'll stick with my Cameron putters...but Scotty might want to look into doing something like Toulon Garage...charge more so people can get EXACTLY what they want...it's kind of annoying/lame to buy a brand new putter and then send it to Scotty for customization.

G400 10.5 w/ Tour 65x
    915 2h Diamana D+
    PING iBlade 3-5 DGS400
    PING Blueprint 6-PW DGS400
    SM7 51, 56, 60 in Tour Chrome, DG S200
    Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
    Vice Pro Plus LIME!!!!
  • Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport from year 2008 thru 2011 have no alignment aids and are clean and beautiful. Some of his best. Search eBay.

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Toulon are great putters, I agree cosmetically the older ones are nicer

I've been playing a long island in 360g for 2 years now and its amazing, never liked the clickyness of scotty's putters.

• ChubbydogChubbydog Members Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

I've had the Palm beach for a couple weeks now, and I can say it really is a great putter. I love the feel coming off the face. Distance control seems to be pretty good, and it comes with a decent grip. I've got several Scotty's left, and a couple Bettis, and this putter feels as good, or better than any of them. I'm not a fan of the newer Scotty Camerons with the inserts, but loved the older ones. This Toulon feels more like the older Scotty's. Took a little while getting used to the shaft, but the more I use it, the more I enjoy it.

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 HZRDUS smoke S flex
    Taylor Made M5 15* 3 wood S flex
    Callaway Epic Flash 18.5 5 wood S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 4-P S300
    Titleist Vokey SM7 F grind 52, 56*
    Titleist Vokey SM7 M grind 60*
    Toulon Palm Beach

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file