Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

toulon putters

Comments

• MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is an Atlanta near me at a great price I'm thinking of grabbing just cause i like the shape and the price is right. Anyone with experience with the Atlanta?

WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S Shaft
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S Shaft
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 - 20° Draw - Diamana S+ 70R Shaft
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300 Shaft
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Argolf Avalon - Toulon Sand Diego - Byron Morgan DH89 - and many more.
    Balls: Vice Pro+ - Srixon Z-Star XV
    Bag: Ping Pioneer
  • Need4spdNeed4spd Members Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Toulons are terrific putters. I agree that all the Odyssey branding is a little over the top now but it’s nowhere close to being a deal breaker for me. The designs are terrific, feel is fantastic, and so is the finish. It’s not like the stampings are anymore gawdy than any of Scotty Cameron’s in the last half dozen years.

In the Hoofer

TaylorMade M4 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 60 S
    TaylorMade M2 15° Project X HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 75 6.0
    TaylorMade RSi TP UDI #2 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-95 S  
    Callaway Apex Pro (19’) 4-PW KBS Tour $-Taper 120 S
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.12F, 54.10S, 58.12D KBS Tour FLT 120 S
    Toulon Design Columbus
    TaylorMade TP5X 
  • thesamwisethesamwise A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man Members Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MattM97 said:
    There is an Atlanta near me at a great price I'm thinking of grabbing just cause i like the shape and the price is right. Anyone with experience with the Atlanta?

I'm playing one now. It has great feel and wonderful balance. I think it's a perfect mid mallet shape.

• Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The face milling looks awful to me. Gimmicky.
    All of their head shapes are very nice though.

• dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 12,183 mod
    edited May 24, 2019 11:22am #36

I bought a used Indy not too long after the initial release and had Continental refinish it in matte black and take some of the carbon off. I think it looks absolutely sick. I was surprised to see that - it doesnt look like - the Indy is even for sale on their site anymore. It feels so **** good, I've tried probably a dozen putters since I bought it and the Indy has made it back into the bag every time.

CPO has them on 30% off right now with the Like New models in the $180-200 range. Strongly considering buying a backup.

M3 12* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 65x
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Yes Callie i4 35" / Chromesoft Truvis

@thesamwise said:

@MattM97 said:

I'm playing one now. It has great feel and wonderful balance. I think it's a perfect mid mallet shape.

I'm starting to lean back to mid-mallet shapes and this is one of the options I do like. How is the smaller head? I noticed it's not too wide vs some others I've tried.

WITB - Lefty
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Argolf Avalon - Toulon Sand Diego - Byron Morgan DH89 - and many more.
  • thesamwisethesamwise A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man Members Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MattM97 said:

@thesamwise said:

@MattM97 said:

I'm starting to lean back to mid-mallet shapes and this is one of the options I do like. How is the smaller head? I noticed it's not too wide vs some others I've tried.

I think the size is good. I went to the store the other day and was rolling some Cameron Futura 7ms, and they looked comically big next to the ball. For me, the smaller head isn't a problem because it forces me to focus a bit.

@thesamwise said:

@MattM97 said:

@thesamwise said:

@MattM97 said:

I think the size is good. I went to the store the other day and was rolling some Cameron Futura 7ms, and they looked comically big next to the ball. For me, the smaller head isn't a problem because it forces me to focus a bit.

That makes sense actually, I have a few larger head putters and they can be very weird at times.

WITB - Lefty
  • fsutankerfsutanker Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭

Are Toulons counterbalanced? I’m not loving my Stroke Lab Double Wide counterbalance, and I do like the shape and feel of the Toulon Atlanta, wondering if it is counterbalanced.

• pilot25pilot25 Members Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

Has anyone taken the grip off and replaced it with an aftermarket one? Did you happen to weigh the factory grip to make sure you got another that is balanced correctly? I'm hoping to find out what the weight of the factory grips are. I'm not a fan of the grip I have on it but I think finding a proper weighted replacement is going to be a problem.

edited May 25, 2019 12:24pm #42

@fsutanker said:
    Are Toulons counterbalanced? I’m not loving my Stroke Lab Double Wide counterbalance, and I do like the shape and feel of the Toulon Atlanta, wondering if it is counterbalanced.

No unless you buy the counterbalanced version or if you buy a used one someone made it counterbalanced.

Also if you buy one with a regular shaft vs a stroke lab shaft too if you're not a fan of the stroke lab shaft.

WITB - Lefty
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Scotty1140 said:
    The face milling looks awful to me. Gimmicky.
    All of their head shapes are very nice though.

We are all guilty of going by a clubs looks sometimes. But the milling appearance is way down the list of importance in putter selection. How the milling makes contact feel? Now that is an important issue and Toulons nail it.

WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • Wizzo1Wizzo1 Members Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

In order to get a different color ie: chromatic bronze, do you have to go through the garage or just go aftermarket?

• kauffeekauffee Members Posts: 24 ✭✭

@fsutanker said:

My Atlanta with Stroke Lab shaft had a 30g counterbalance weight in the back end when I removed the grip.

Did you have the oversize grip or the pistol? Someone else weighed theirs on a scale and the weight was 40 grams. The oversized grip was 65 grams.

@pilot25 said:
    Did you have the oversize grip or the pistol? Someone else weighed theirs on a scale and the weight was 40 grams. The oversized grip was 65 grams.

Grip was the Toulon-branded Lamkin Deep-etched. The plug has no markings so I weighed it - 30g.

edited May 27, 2019 11:54am #48

Wow. Thanks. I'm fully confused on how the grips are weighed. It has to be head specific because another poster on the other site weighed their entire SL grip and its 72.4. From a manufacturing perspective the cost to do that would be insanely high.

@pilot25 said:
    Wow. Thanks. I'm fully confused on how the grips are weighed. It has to be head specific because another poster on the other site weighed their entire SL grip and its 72.4. From a manufacturing perspective the cost to do that would be insanely high.

My Atlanta was also a custom order at 32”. It’s possible the length also determines what counterbalance weight they put in.

I’ve messed with lead tape on the head and replaced the Lamkin with a SS Flatso 2.0 with a 50g countercore. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong. Whatever feels good.

• TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 31,038 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Latrobe still shows as “coming soon” ugh...

@kauffee said:

@pilot25 said:

Grip was the Toulon-branded Lamkin Deep-etched. The plug has no markings so I weighed it - 30g.

It looks like that plug can be left in and any grip put on the shaft. So I wouldn't have to worry about matching grip weight and another plug weight. Just have to match the grip weight. Is that accurate or does the plug come out with the grip like the Superstroke?

• kento7421rkento7421r Members Posts: 15 ✭✭

@TheMoneyShot said:

It's back! It shows 3-4weeks now

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9*(-2/D) / Diamana DF 60X
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15* / Diamana BF 70X tipped 0.5
    Callaway Apex MB 3-PW / Modus 120X
    Callaway PM grind 54*,60*,64* / Modus 120X
    Odyssey Metal-X #8
    Pro V1X/MTB-X
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 31,038 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kento7421r said:

@TheMoneyShot said:

It's back! It shows 3-4weeks now

I noticed that but they do not have a pic of it? Did they change the cosmetics at all?

• phil75070phil75070 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The weighting of the grips is counter-intuitive. The pistol grip weighs 75 grams with a 30g weight and the oversize grip weight 65g with a 40g weight. One would think it is the opposite but the pistol grip is all rubber while oversize grip uses some foam. Total weight of the grip inclusive of weight should be in the 105g range +/- 5-10 grams to maintain the proper balance.

I have recently received my Portland and could not be happier with a putter. I've always preferred a milled face over an insert and likewise have always favored a plumbers neck. I've been making putts of all lengths with this thing and recently had a round with more birdies than I've ever had in a round before. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes but as others have commented I don;t see the branding when I set up to the ball. I'll take performance over looks any day!

I put a SuperStroke Traxion grip on with a 75 gram weight. 25 grams heavier than Sean Toulon designed. Hated it and put the 50 gram weight in. All my long putts were coming up way short. I always thought the heavier the putter the better so its like a pendulum. That is great for short putts but long ones I can't figure out how hard to stroke the thing.

• Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Members Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@pilot25 said:
    I put a SuperStroke Traxion grip on with a 75 gram weight. 25 grams heavier than Sean Toulon designed. Hated it and put the 50 gram weight in. All my long putts were coming up way short. I always thought the heavier the putter the better so its like a pendulum. That is great for short putts but long ones I can't figure out how hard to stroke the thing.

I just put a Traxion 2.0 XL on my Atlanta with a 75g weight. Threw an extension in so it is playing at 36.5"...love to tinker with stuff like this and love how this turned out.

8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV

What do you mean "threw an extension in?"

@pilot25 said:

I put an extension in my putter to add length. Putter was 35inches, I put a 1.5 inch extension to get it to roughly 36.5 and used a 75g weight in my superstroke. Then bent it a degree upright.

19* Bridgestone J36
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Go_Blue! said:

@pilot25 said:

I put an extension in my putter to add length. Putter was 35inches, I put a 1.5 inch extension to get it to roughly 36.5 and used a 75g weight in my superstroke. Then bent it a degree upright.

Added length AND bent it more upright. What type of grip do you use? Conventional/LHL/claw??

WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
    edited Jul 3, 2019 5:17pm #60

@Shilgy said:

@Go_Blue! said:

@pilot25 said:

Added length AND bent it more upright. What type of grip do you use? Conventional/LHL/claw??

Normal. High hands has always been the norm for me. Actually bent it 71.5 degrees.

19* Bridgestone J36
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • T-MACT-MAC Members Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Columbus and love it. Well made, great feel, and my distance control has been terrific. I gamed a 2012 Cameron Notchback for awhile and I always loved the headshape (love how it frames the ball at address) but didn't get along with the feel of the deep milled face. I always said that if Cameron made a Notchback with standard depth milling and a plumbers neck that it might not leave my bag. Well, Toulon beat him to it.
    The only thing I would change is, I wish it had a topline instead of a flangeline. I wanted to special order one at the Garage but they no longer offer the Columbus. I really don't care for the gawdy Odyssey markings all over the new models, but it wouldn't keep me from buying one................if they still made the Columbus.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file