2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

300 yard impact

Anyone give Monte's training aid a go yet?

I just got one and I don't think I'm quite getting it.

I don't see how practicing with this will impact my actual swing. If there's no club or ball, I won't have to make any compensations and it's child's play to hit the pad against the wall from my crappy backswing position. I have a small flip and I had no issues whatsoever hitting the pad to the wall from the very first attempt. To me it feels like the impact bag where it never quite translated to my real swing.

Perhaps someone can give me some pointers here?

And for the record, I'm a big fan of Montel and thought all of his videos were fantastic. I just don't get this one.

Edit: Adding a link to the product page. [https://300yardimpact.com](https://300yardimpact.com "https://300yardimpact.com") Love the promo video with Schnee!

Yeah, I’m a big Monte fan, but I’m not sure on this. Hit the range today and swang with the thought of what I assumed this glove would make you do, and I was making some decent contact, albeit a little thin. It seemed like getting away from thinking about hitting the ball, and replacing it with the hand thought, helped a bit.

It’s a simple concept. It doesn’t allow you to perform all of the common swing faults and still reach impact properly. It also allows you to learn proper movements without the interference of the ball. Bad golf swings are bad motor pathways in the brain. This forces you into more efficient movements.

You can’t slide, upper body lunge, go too down or too out with hand path, have the arms trail, etc.

To the OP who said it’s child’s play....that’s the whole point. Teaches you a simple way to understand how the entire body is supposed to move and sequence to get to impact properly. Reacting to the ball incorrectly causes faults and compensations. Reacting to flushing the pad on the wall forces you into better movements that translate directly.

• Like 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> It’s a simple concept. It doesn’t allow you to perform all of the common swing faults and still reach impact properly. It also allows you to learn proper movements without the interference of the ball. Bad golf swings are bad motor pathways in the brain. This forces you into more efficient movements.

>

> You can’t slide, upper body lunge, go too down or too out with hand path, have the arms trail, etc.

>

> To the OP who said it’s child’s play....that’s the whole point. Teaches you a simple way to understand how the entire body is supposed to move and sequence to get to impact properly. Reacting to the ball incorrectly causes faults and compensations. Reacting to flushing the pad on the wall forces you into better movements that translate directly.

I didn’t buy it yet from Monte, but the swing thought of presenting the back of my left hand towards the target and hitting through something like a doorframe (like what you’d do with this aid) has really helped in the last few days. Getting my mind off hitting at the ball gets me away from casting and hitting it fat. My usual miss is a block right, but today I was flushing some baby cuts on target. I kind of think I’m onto something, so maybe there’s something to this.

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> It’s a simple concept. It doesn’t allow you to perform all of the common swing faults and still reach impact properly. It also allows you to learn proper movements without the interference of the ball. Bad golf swings are bad motor pathways in the brain. This forces you into more efficient movements.

>

> You can’t slide, upper body lunge, go too down or too out with hand path, have the arms trail, etc.

>

> To the OP who said it’s child’s play....that’s the whole point. Teaches you a simple way to understand how the entire body is supposed to move and sequence to get to impact properly. Reacting to the ball incorrectly causes faults and compensations. Reacting to flushing the pad on the wall forces you into better movements that translate directly.

I understand the purpose of the training aid but what I'm struggling with is this:

From anywhere after my backswing, the quickest path to get the pad to the wall is a massive over the top move where I come nowhere close to hitting the ball. At the very top of my backswing, I obviously know not to do that. But this isn't binary - I can completely miss the ball or hit it flush; or I can also hit fades, toe hits, fats, and everything in between. If I were getting stuck, for example, wouldn't I just hit the wall further away from my body and not realize I was stuck? Without any feedback, how do I know I'm not ingraining the wrong motion, like an over the top?

Also, Monte, you tell us swing faults like early extension are reactions to being out of position. Let's say I pull the handle and I'm too steep early on the downswing. My body will automatically early extend to shallow out so I can then rotate. Without the ball, wouldn't I just not realize I'm over the top and continue with a swing that would either shank the ball or hit a pull hook? Then once I'm back on the course would I once again early extend or just hit shanks?

Again, I bought and love all of Monte's videos and fully back him. Someone let me know if these concerns don't make any sense.

Email me face on and down the line of you using it. I’ve tested it on over 100 people and no one had any of these issues.

[email protected]

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

• 2 weeks later...

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> Email me face on and down the line of you using it. I’ve tested it on over 100 people and no one had any of these issues.

>

> [email protected]

We found the issue :smile:

• Like 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

> @Mickeyblue12 said:

> Couldn’t you swing this training aid with a club just going to 9:00 and stopping when you hit the wall with the pad (slow motion swings)?

You could, but it’s bad idea, IMO.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

> @SomedayScratch said:

> Is it okay to remove the pad and attach it a little more towards the left/outside of my hand?

> I feel as though with the pad in the default center position it puts my hands in a weird impact position. Could this be because I have a slightly strong grip?

Don’t do it too much

BERTRAND RUSSELL

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> > @SomedayScratch said:

> > Is it okay to remove the pad and attach it a little more towards the left/outside of my hand?

> > I feel as though with the pad in the default center position it puts my hands in a weird impact position. Could this be because I have a slightly strong grip?

>

> Don’t do it too much

>

Does that mean if I am hitting it not square (when the pad is on square) that means my grip is either too strong or I am not getting into the correct impact position?

Doesn't grip have a big effect on how bowed your left wrist and back of hand should be at impact. Weaker grip has to be more bowed for shaft lean?

• 2 weeks later...

Monte, I’ve been using this for about a month or so standing with my foot against a wall and I have a question for you. I’m making good solid, flush, square contact with the pad, but the end of the grip is hitting the wall on pad contact, maybe from recoil? I’ll include a pic. My question is, is this normal or is it showing a swing fault?

WITB 2019 Driver: TaylorMade 2016 M2 10.5* 3W: TaylorMade 2017 M1 15* 3 iron: Titleist 718 T-MB 20* 4-P: Titleist 718 CB 52* Titleist TVD Mgrind 58* Titleist TVD Mgrind

> @adamnapes said:

>

>

> Monte, I’ve been using this for about a month or so standing with my foot against a wall and I have a question for you. I’m making good solid, flush, square contact with the pad, but the end of the grip is hitting the wall on pad contact, maybe from recoil? I’ll include a pic. My question is, is this normal or is it showing a swing fault?

My guess is you’re default motion is not quite right and the end of the grip is hitting the wall first.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> > @adamnapes said:

> >

> >

> > Monte, I’ve been using this for about a month or so standing with my foot against a wall and I have a question for you. I’m making good solid, flush, square contact with the pad, but the end of the grip is hitting the wall on pad contact, maybe from recoil? I’ll include a pic. My question is, is this normal or is it showing a swing fault?

>

> My guess is you’re default motion is not quite right and the end of the grip is hitting the wall first.

>

>

I’ll be sending some video your way through rebellion sometime this weekend. I definitely could use a bit of personalized lesson input.

WITB 2019 Driver: TaylorMade 2016 M2 10.5* 3W: TaylorMade 2017 M1 15* 3 iron: Titleist 718 T-MB 20* 4-P: Titleist 718 CB 52* Titleist TVD Mgrind 58* Titleist TVD Mgrind

• 6 months later...

I simulated this motion and used it on a course last week. First 4 holes l was duck hooking the driver. I moved my thumb on top of the shaft so that l could bring the back of my hand “to the wall” and the hook mostly went away. Iron shots seemed to have more pop to them. Only one round. Weather was cold. Hoping to try it again soon.

Been using the 300 yard impact since @MonteScheinblum released it. The feeling of the drill is my main swing thought on longer clubs. It keeps my hands work to and thru impact. I recently incorporated that feel into my short game and the results are promising. Im getting solid contact. Had a bad habit of sliding my hands thru impact and blading chips and pitches. Letting the left hand work/release is proving to be a key that I didnt know I needed.
Side note: I took a lesson with Monte and watched him hit pitch shots. I saw the action his left arm was making but could not figure out what he was doing. Now I know, he was rotating his left arm. It looked like he was hitting an imaginary wall with the back of his left hand at impact then letting it rotate and fold up.

• 9 months later...

@MonteScheinblum I just bought your product. It hasn't come in yet but I plan on using it in the corner (foot still against the wall) so I practice my pivot and hand depth as well. Is this something you have done with your students or am I making this a little too complicated.

Titliest TSR4 Driver 9.5 Tensei 1K Black 75 TX

Srixon Z F85 15 HZRDUS Black  6.5

Srixon Z U85 Hybrid 18 

Mizuno MP4 3-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Vokey SM6 50*/54*/58 Vokey Design Steel Shaft

Cleveland Frontline Elevado Putter 

8 minutes ago, jas0nmacisaac said:

@MonteScheinblum I just bought your product. It hasn't come in yet but I plan on using it in the corner (foot still against the wall) so I practice my pivot and hand depth as well. Is this something you have done with your students or am I making this a little too complicated.

I am a believer in what works....

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I have this product and I think the key thing is to make sure the pad is FLUSHING the wall. It takes some practice to really get the pad parallel to the wall. You can easily touch the wall with the leading edge first and then roll the pad flush, but that's cheating the concept. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

17 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I am a believer in what works....

I'm not arguing the merits, that is why I bought the device. What I am asking is that if you back up to get your butt against the wall in the photo below are there merits to pivot and hand depth or will it deter from the training aid. I plan on creating a station with a sticker on the wall to aim at. 

image.png.d95e503afe8d709e8b34368f233eed3f.png

Titliest TSR4 Driver 9.5 Tensei 1K Black 75 TX

Srixon Z F85 15 HZRDUS Black  6.5

Srixon Z U85 Hybrid 18 

Mizuno MP4 3-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Vokey SM6 50*/54*/58 Vokey Design Steel Shaft

Cleveland Frontline Elevado Putter