2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Anyone play with heavier driver shafts (80+ grams)?

tgoodspe1991

Thinking about going heavier in my driver shaft. I'm currently gaming a PX HZRDUS Smoke 6.5 60g and in a 9* head and I'm hitting the ball really high and missing left a lot. Typically a pull or big over draw. I just cannot seem to get it to work left to right.

I'm thinking the 60g range is too light and "weak" and I'm either getting quick at the top and pulling it or it's just not stiff enough and I'm getting super high over draws. I've typically used 7X/TX weight of shafts in the past, but those can feel too light as well sometimes. I'm thinking of going up to an 8X (~80g) shaft for the driver to try out, but would love to hear from anyone who has done the same??

I'm a long hitter but my concern would be losing speed/distance by going too heavy.

It may very well be helpful for you but before you spend any money on a new shaft, get a roll of high density lead tape first - and play around with this tutorial to figure out if more weight will help and how much it might take. Then you can buy a shaft with a weight you know will work instead of just guessing.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/909991/diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting/p1

• Like 1

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> Thinking about going heavier in my driver shaft. I'm currently gaming a PX HZRDUS Smoke 6.5 60g and in a 9* head and I'm hitting the ball really high and missing left a lot. Typically a pull or big over draw. I just cannot seem to get it to work left to right.

>

> I'm thinking the 60g range is too light and "weak" and I'm either getting quick at the top and pulling it or it's just not stiff enough and I'm getting super high over draws. I've typically used 7X/TX weight of shafts in the past, but those can feel too light as well sometimes. I'm thinking of going up to an 8X (~80g) shaft for the driver to try out, but would love to hear from anyone who has done the same??

>

> I'm a long hitter but my concern would be losing speed/distance by going too heavy.

You're gaming a 60 and want to go to an 80???? I'd suggest trying an graphite design AD GP7x. It's a very stout shaft, hard to get the ball to move much. I'm a high ball hitter and it helped me go from near 110ft on the driver to around 80ft

> @Therealpatgiles said:

> > @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > Thinking about going heavier in my driver shaft. I'm currently gaming a PX HZRDUS Smoke 6.5 60g and in a 9* head and I'm hitting the ball really high and missing left a lot. Typically a pull or big over draw. I just cannot seem to get it to work left to right.

> >

> > I'm thinking the 60g range is too light and "weak" and I'm either getting quick at the top and pulling it or it's just not stiff enough and I'm getting super high over draws. I've typically used 7X/TX weight of shafts in the past, but those can feel too light as well sometimes. I'm thinking of going up to an 8X (~80g) shaft for the driver to try out, but would love to hear from anyone who has done the same??

> >

> > I'm a long hitter but my concern would be losing speed/distance by going too heavy.

>

> You're gaming a 60 and want to go to an 80???? I'd suggest trying an graphite design AD GP7x. It's a very stout shaft, hard to get the ball to move much. I'm a high ball hitter and it helped me go from near 110ft on the driver to around 80ft

I've mostly used ~70-80g shafts in the past with mixed success as well. This 60g shaft is definitely too light. I was more wondering if I should just go back to the 70-80g range or try the 80+g range.

I also try to remember that back in the day people used to use steel shafts in everything which are considerably heavier than the 80g I'm thinking about, ha. I just would love to get feedback from some people first. The hardest part is actually finding shafts in the 80g range for a driver and 90g or more for a 3W...

• Like 1

It can work out just fine. I had an 80+ gram shafted driver for two seasons not long ago, it was the best driving I did on course. Not longest but most consistent. Find using an oversized grip in lighter shafts to help there too. Currently have a 4 wrapped 65g w/ 10 gram plug in butt end, probably does little MOI wise but the added heft in handle helps on path consistency quite a bit.

The 6.5 is pretty stiff. I was fitted in a yellow hzrdus 6.5 70 and no way did I fee comfortable swinging that regularly. What driver head do you have and what is your swing speed and transition tempo. I went with the smoke because it felt a lighter, maybe try the yellow in same spec. Stiffer doesn’t always mean the club will be anti left, a lot of times when you play too stiff it will cause you to pull or shut the face down and hook it more. That’s why I don’t play 6.5 even when I was fitted for it, it makes me swing too hard. 6.0 yellow actually allows me to hit a mini push fade.

You have to be careful adding a heavier shaft because it will effect swing weight.

> @Pittknife said:

> The 6.5 is pretty stiff. I was fitted in a yellow hzrdus 6.5 70 and no way did I fee comfortable swinging that regularly. What driver head do you have and what is your swing speed and transition tempo. I went with the smoke because it felt a lighter, maybe try the yellow in same spec. Stiffer doesn’t always mean the club will be anti right, a lot of times when you play too stiff it will cause you to pull or shut the face down and hook it more. That’s why I don’t play 6.5 even when I was fitted for it, it makes me swing too hard. 6.0 yellow actually allows me to hit a mini push fade.

>

> You have to be careful adding a heavier shaft because it will effect swing weight.

>

>

Not sure exactly on swing speed, but I can carry the ball regularly 295-305. So, what is that, like 118mph? I've always been a long hitter. People say I have a very smooth looking swing but my transition is pretty hard feeling to me when I go into the downswing to rip it.

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > @Pittknife said:

> > The 6.5 is pretty stiff. I was fitted in a yellow hzrdus 6.5 70 and no way did I fee comfortable swinging that regularly. What driver head do you have and what is your swing speed and transition tempo. I went with the smoke because it felt a lighter, maybe try the yellow in same spec. Stiffer doesn’t always mean the club will be anti right, a lot of times when you play too stiff it will cause you to pull or shut the face down and hook it more. That’s why I don’t play 6.5 even when I was fitted for it, it makes me swing too hard. 6.0 yellow actually allows me to hit a mini push fade.

> >

> > You have to be careful adding a heavier shaft because it will effect swing weight.

> >

> >

>

> Not sure exactly on swing speed, but I can carry the ball regularly 295-305. So, what is that, like 118mph? I've always been a long hitter. People say I have a very smooth looking swing but my transition is pretty hard feeling to me when I go into the downswing to rip it.

Sorry I meant anti left. Try a yellow 6.5 70, its 76 grams. The smoke is a lighter feeling shaft too me. If you really want heft out an old x100 in it. When I was in college I played a 975d 8.5” with an x100, super stable and felt the best of any of those first gen drivers. It might not go anywhere now but it will go straight.

I've never played sub 70g driver shafts well. Every couple of years I try a lighter shaft. It always ends poorly.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

> @jvincent said:

> I've never played sub 70g driver shafts well. Every couple of years I try a lighter shaft. It always ends poorly.

That's where I am at. Lighter is definitely not better for me...

The hardest part is finding shafts that fit the bill and can also go heavier for fairway woods...

• Like 1

Last season I moved from a Blueboard 60S to a Speeder 757X and it made a huge difference, much straighter, slightly longer and smoothed my transition out superbly, so I'd say its worth a try.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > @jvincent said:

> > I've never played sub 70g driver shafts well. Every couple of years I try a lighter shaft. It always ends poorly.

>

> That's where I am at. Lighter is definitely not better for me...

>

> The hardest part is finding shafts that fit the bill and can also go heavier for fairway woods...

I'm another who can't use lighter shafts. I'd picked up a driver a couple years ago on a lark, it had a 6.2 TS in it. Had a terrible time controlling it due to the weight. Put something heavier in it and it was much better.

The heavier shafts are out there but you have to hunt a bit. I found an RIP Alpha 80, which I've planned putting in a fairway wood, and have a 70 to use in driver.

Such as I remember, the RIP 70 is 78g and the 80 is actually 88g. Could fit your requirements.

60-something gram shafts are an abomination as far as I'm concerned.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Heavier has been far better for me.

At the beginning of this season I switched to lighter iron shaft and a lighter driver shaft, with horrible results. I had been playing a Ping Tour 80X in my G30 but went to lighter Fubuki, and went from PX 6.5 to Modus 105 in the irons. I not only started missing it left, but I lost a lot of my ball striking, couldn't hit low shots under the wind. For the most part, i really had no idea where the ball was going to go. I then got a G400 with the Alta 55X in it, and it was all over the map. I tested it side by side with my 80X tour on an empty fairway hitting into and down wind. The 80x performed better in every way, and my driving has since improved significantly. I just yesterday went back to a PX 6.5 LZ in my irons and all is right in the world again. With the heavier shafts i feel like i can go after it and still have the confidence of knowing where the club is and that im not gonna put too much spin on it. I've also seen a slight increase in distance due to the lower spin, which isn't too bad.

I was fit into the ATMOS Black 8tx and played it for about a year. I believe it was about 85 grams. I did feel like I was working a bit harder than I would like but my accuracy was greatly improved.

I'd still be playing it if I didn't find another shaft that worked a bit better for me. That said, I think the heavier shaft works better for certain swing types. Being a smooth swinger, you may want to try tipping something in the 70's before diving into the heavy stuff. It may trickle down through the bag.

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > @jvincent said:

> > I've never played sub 70g driver shafts well. Every couple of years I try a lighter shaft. It always ends poorly.

>

> That's where I am at. Lighter is definitely not better for me...

>

> The hardest part is finding shafts that fit the bill and can also go heavier for fairway woods...

I managed to get a Tour AD TP8 in my fairway wood as a free upgrade and liked it so much that I picked up a TP7 for my driver. I'm really liking them both.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I put a Diamana D+ LTD 80X in my new TS3, but I play it at 43.5" Much more consistent finding fairways, and I haven't lost much distance from a 915 with a 44.5" shaft.

Titleist TS3, 9.5* Diamana D+ LTD X, 43.5"
Titleist 917F2, 15*, Aldila Rogue Max 75S
Srixon U65, 20*, DG AMT X100
Titleist 716 AP1 4-PW DG AMT X100
Vokey - 52.08, 56.12, 60.08
Cameron Select NPII, Titleist Pro V1X

I used to play 85plus gram driver shafts, usually o.g. whiteboard, w series or blueboards. Decent for accuracy but I was giving up 3-4mph ballspeed. I switched to mid sixties with some added head weight and like this a lot better. Tensei pro orange at 70 has been an awesome addition. That shaft produces amazing ballspeed and accuracy.

I’ve been eyeing a proforce v2 85g shaft as a sub $100 heavy experiment... I definitely play heavier shafts and get along with them better.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

> @Booker said:

> I used to play 85plus gram driver shafts, usually o.g. whiteboard, w series or blueboards. Decent for accuracy but I was giving up 3-4mph ballspeed. I switched to mid sixties with some added head weight and like this a lot better. Tensei pro orange at 70 has been an awesome addition. That shaft produces amazing ballspeed and accuracy.

I was thinking of trying the Tensei Orange 80TX in my driver, or an equivalently heavy but counter-balanced shaft. I'm not planning to cut my driver down at all, so maybe the counter-balancing will help keep swingweight in check.

Just tested a Diamana R80x (5 wood shaft) in a TM R15 14* lofted down to 12* playing just shy of 43". This thing flies baby. Out the back of a green of a 275yd par 4.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

I have a chrome elements 90 gram shaft that I love, but am messing with a 70 gram shaft now. The heavier the shaft the more I am able to feel the real weight of the club which helps my sense of feel in the swing. I didn't really notice a distance change.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9* w/ UST Linq White 6F5

Callaway Rogue 3 LS Wood w/ UST Linq Blue 8F5

Callaway UW 19* w VA Baddazz 70X

Titleist T100 ‘21 4-9 w/ Nippon Modus3 120x

Vokey 46* w/ Nippon Modus3 120x

Vokey 50, 54 and 58* w/ BGT ZNE 130

L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 (Red) Broomstick

I played a Diamana Ahina 80x in my Titleist 910D3 for ages, I really liked that combo. Additional weight can help prevent the over the top "out to in" move for some people as its easier to drop the club into the right slot, but I definitely recommend Stuart's suggestion of using lead tape to test that out first.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I have been playing around evenflow white 85g stiff shaft 4-5 times on the driver range with Mevo. It's take more effort to swing for sure but it let me swing faster, slightly better ball speed and also lower spin with Range ball. Heavier shaft help me to slow down my arm/hand and get more aggressive with my lower body, Just afraid to put that in play yet.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

I have a few. I have an i15 with a 80x Whiteboard - 983k with an X100 and a 909 D3 with a PM902

My current gamer has a 75x Evenflow Black

Heavy helps me keep the hands quiet

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple