2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

Coming out to Washington DC

TinkerGolfMan ·  
TinkerGolfManTinkerGolfMan Tinker Golf Man 1406WRX Points: 233Members Posts: 1,406

Gonna be in Washington DC for a couple of weeks coming in August, any suggestions for which tracks to play?
Anyone have access to congo or Trump DC or any good private clubs to hook up a fellow WRXer over here!!!??

Posted:
TaylorMade 2019 M6 9°, Aldila Rogue 110, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Align Midsize
Bomb Tech 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Oban Devotion, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
Nike Golf Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
Mizuno JPX 919/ 4-6 Forged Irons /7-PW Tour Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
Artisan Golf ★ custom 50°, 54°, 58°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
Titleist Scotty Cameron 2016 Select Newport 2, SC Custom Shop work: Black Refinish, High-Buff shaft band, Yellow School Bus SC Matador, Face/Weight Stamps.

Comments

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky  2411WRX Points: 806Members Posts: 2,411

Where are you staying/working?

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • eagle1997eagle1997  18283WRX Points: 888Members Posts: 18,283

Playing golf in August in DC is basically like being in an outdoor sauna for 4 hours. It's miserable. That said, plenty of great tracks to play. If you're willing to drive, the courses in Frederick County are worth the trip.

Worthington Manor, Musket Ridge, Whiskey Creek, Maryland National & PB Dye are all very interesting upper end public courses and typically have good-to-very-good conditions.

Pretty much gotta know someone to get on the privates ... Try asking in this thread:
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1682946/md-dc-va-golfers-twelve-monkeys-mental-divergence/p1

More than a few have access to a Club, who knows what can happen if you ask nice. Good group.

Posted:
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
  • TinkerGolfManTinkerGolfMan Tinker Golf Man  1406WRX Points: 233Members Posts: 1,406

On -, @GoGoErky said:

Where are you staying/working?

Staying at Grand Hyatt DC. I have work conference there.

Posted:
    TaylorMade 2019 M6 9°, Aldila Rogue 110, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Align Midsize
    Bomb Tech 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Oban Devotion, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Nike Golf Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Mizuno JPX 919/ 4-6 Forged Irons /7-PW Tour Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Artisan Golf ★ custom 50°, 54°, 58°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Titleist Scotty Cameron 2016 Select Newport 2, SC Custom Shop work: Black Refinish, High-Buff shaft band, Yellow School Bus SC Matador, Face/Weight Stamps.

If you don’t mind driving the courses mentioned above are top notch. Something a little closer would be lake presidential and renditions

Posted:
  • DCLeftyDCLefty Washington, DC 12WRX Points: 3Members Posts: 12

Plenty of good options if you head west on 66 into Virginia. Stonewall would be the best of the bunch, in my opinion.

Posted:
  • ctsgolfctsgolf  186WRX Points: 143Handicap: 5Members Posts: 186

If you don't mind travelling I'd suggest Maryland National.

Posted:
    Taylormade M1  Speeder 661 Evo
    Ping G  Aldila NV 75s
    Titleist T-MB 20°  DG S400
    Titleist 695CB  DG S300 (4-PW)
    Callaway MD Forged  Recoil 125 F4
    Miura  KM-006  

Advertisement
  • jrhart13jrhart13  8WRX Points: 8Handicap: 5.9Members Posts: 8

I would highly recommend Worthington Manor. IMO it's the best public course in the area. It's about 50 mins from DC, so not that bad.

Posted:
    2-Iron: Callaway X2 Hot Pro (18°) Project X 5.5 Blue Graphite
    2-Iron: Taylormade RAC MB (bent to 20.5°) UST MP6 Navy 35.75"
    Wedges: 44°, 50° Ping Glide Forged, 52°, 56°, 60°, 64° Vokey SM4 Chrome S Grind
    Putter: TP Mills #9 Blade
  • birdiebarragebirdiebarrage IG @smallssees D.C. 39WRX Points: 44Handicap: 9.somethingMembers Posts: 39

Maryland - Whiskey Creek, Worthington Manor. Creek is more forgiving, WM hosts state opens and such and when its in tournament mode it's challenging. Blue Mash is well-liked but I find it kind of boring. University of Maryland apparently in dire shape right now.

Virginia - Westfields, Laurel Hill. Westfields is a Fred Couples design that presents interesting holes that offer challenge but give you room to hit it. Laurel Hill is less forgiving with tough greens, always in good condition, technically its a muni but doesn't feel or play like one.

D.C. - East Potomac, Blue. If you can put aside conditioning, which is below-average at its best, there is old-school charm at the Blue that gives a lot of views of the Washington Monument and its easy to walk. Cheap, surprisingly decent food and always some interesting people to meet. Designed by Walter Travis. Very easy to get to from northwest D.C.

If you can play private, Congo/Columbia/Chevy Chase/Burning Tree are all close to D.C. and considered the top tier. TPC Potomac/Bethesda/Kenwood a notch below. Haven't played these so can't give much info, save Congo which was great, obviously. RTJ has hosted Presidents Cups but thats probably a bit far from D.C., heading west in Virginia.

Posted:
  • PuppetmasterPuppetmaster  15051WRX Points: 449Members Posts: 15,051

On -, @birdiebarrage said:

Maryland - Whiskey Creek, Worthington Manor. Creek is more forgiving, WM hosts state opens and such and when its in tournament mode it's challenging. Blue Mash is well-liked but I find it kind of boring. University of Maryland apparently in dire shape right now.

Virginia - Westfields, Laurel Hill. Westfields is a Fred Couples design that presents interesting holes that offer challenge but give you room to hit it. Laurel Hill is less forgiving with tough greens, always in good condition, technically its a muni but doesn't feel or play like one.

D.C. - East Potomac, Blue. If you can put aside conditioning, which is below-average at its best, there is old-school charm at the Blue that gives a lot of views of the Washington Monument and its easy to walk. Cheap, surprisingly decent food and always some interesting people to meet. Designed by Walter Travis. Very easy to get to from northwest D.C.

If you can play private, Congo/Columbia/Chevy Chase/Burning Tree are all close to D.C. and considered the top tier. TPC Potomac/Bethesda/Kenwood a notch below. Haven't played these so can't give much info, save Congo which was great, obviously. RTJ has hosted Presidents Cups but thats probably a bit far from D.C., heading west in Virginia.

Good summation above. The MD 270 corridor courses like WM and WC are some of my favorites. There's also PB Dye but that's love or hate for most. If you want to go into Virginia, Bull Run is a nice track and has a good patio and beers on tap. I'd play Laurel Hill over Westfields any day, especially in August. Westfields is a good design and is in great shape most of the year until July-August when the fairways and green complexes never hold up well to the heat. Army Navy CC is another good private option if you can find a member to get you in.

Also important to note that traffic is a huge factor here, so plan your tee times accordingly, or just leave super early no matter what. Assume that rush hour starts after 7 am and is essentially all day.

Posted:
    WITB Link

Cobra King Ltd 8.5*, Speeder TS 6.2
    Callaway Steelhead 4+, Diamana Kai'li
    Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump
    Cobra Fly Z+, KBS Tour 
    Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M

On -, @birdiebarrage said:

Musket Ridge is a better option over blue mash as is waverly woods.

Posted:
  • Hooded7Hooded7  4WRX Points: 22Members Posts: 4

Coming to DC for a conference next week (from New Orleans), looking to play Tuesday morning. We're staying in the Woodley Park area. Laurel Hill is doing maintenance that morning. Is Westfields our next best/closest option? Has anyone played there recently? Are conditions good? Will traffic be a nightmare heading that way?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jwellefson1jwellefson1  246WRX Points: 85Handicap: 9Members Posts: 246

On -, @Hooded7 said:

Coming to DC for a conference next week (from New Orleans), looking to play Tuesday morning. We're staying in the Woodley Park area. Laurel Hill is doing maintenance that morning. Is Westfields our next best/closest option? Has anyone played there recently? Are conditions good? Will traffic be a nightmare heading that way?

Westfields is probably your next best option, but traffic won't be great getting there. Luckily you'll be going against the worst of it, but you may want to find something closer. Potomac Shores is also a good option but not horribly close.

Posted:
    Haikus are funny
    But they don't always make sense
    Refrigerator
    Check out my Insta if you're into that:
  • howaboutmehowaboutme Fairfax, VA 212WRX Points: 53Members Posts: 212

I haven't played Westfields in a few months but live down the street. Reverse commute is almost just as bad in the morning so give it plenty of time. Local route may be easier to get there than I-66.

Posted:

Appreciate the feedback. Looking forward to our round at Westfields!

Posted:
  • wagsgtwagsgt  671WRX Points: 138Members Posts: 671

Just FYI for anyone in DC all the Maryland courses listed you will be going against traffic. A lot of good options listed. Some of VA ones you might get stuck in some beltway traffic

Posted:
  • dokodiydokodiy  70WRX Points: 37Handicap: 7Members Posts: 70

Other notables if the distance is no issue
    VA: Potomac shore, Blue ridge shadows, Raspberry falls
    MD: Little Bennett, Graystone, QueensTown, Hunters Oak
    PA: The links at Gettysburg

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5 | HZRDUS Yellow
    Rogue SZ 15 | HZRDUS Yellow
    Titleist 910H 21 | Matrix Ozik WhiteTie HX3 X
    Srixon U65 [20] | Steelfiber i110cw 
    J15CB [4-P] | Steelfiber i125cw
    Haywood [50, 54] | Recoil 780 SmacWrap
    Byron Morgan 615

Advertisement
  • squirrel211squirrel211  4WRX Points: 7Members Posts: 4

On -, @dokodiy said:

Other notables if the distance is no issue
    VA: Potomac shore, Blue ridge shadows, Raspberry falls
    MD: Little Bennett, Graystone, QueensTown, Hunters Oak
    PA: The links at Gettysburg

Queenstown RIver Course is good! I thought Hunters Oak closed???

Hog Neck Golf Course used to be a Top 100 public course, it's one of my favorite courses that I've ever played. River Marsh Golf Course at the Hyatt in Cambridge is on the recent 15 courses to play in Maryland (so was Queenstown), it's also public.

I am a member at Talbot Country Club, which is the oldest course on the Delmarva Peninsula, I'd be willing to take the OP out for a round.

Posted:

Played Westfields last Tuesday. Thanks for the solid advice. Really enjoyed the layout. Course conditions were great, although some of the fairway divots could be filled. Greens rolled true. Probably some of the thickest/lushest rough I've played in too. Shot 87 (I'm a 15 index), so definitely pleased with the round.

Posted:
  • jwellefson1jwellefson1  246WRX Points: 85Handicap: 9Members Posts: 246

On -, @Hooded7 said:

Played Westfields last Tuesday. Thanks for the solid advice. Really enjoyed the layout. Course conditions were great, although some of the fairway divots could be filled. Greens rolled true. Probably some of the thickest/lushest rough I've played in too. Shot 87 (I'm a 15 index), so definitely pleased with the round.

Glad to hear it was good! Westfields is probably my favorite Northern VA Public; could also be Laurel Hill just depends on what I feel like that day lol. I've never played Potomac Shores but that'll be changing in two days. Either way I'm very glad it worked out for you, it's definitely a good one!

Posted:
    Haikus are funny
    But they don't always make sense
    Refrigerator
    Check out my Insta if you're into that:
  • platgofplatgof platgof  1888WRX Points: 251Handicap: 17ClubWRX Posts: 1,888

I was just around the corner from Whiskey Creek, bummer. I was staying in Olney.

Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 ,6 Hybrid
    Cobra F9 6-Pw Irons
    Ping Glide 50,54, & 58 Wedges
    TM Pro Spyder Mid Putter
    ERC
    Garmin S20

• Broke100Broke100  78WRX Points: 22Members Posts: 78

I’d recommend Falls Road (Potomac, MD) over Kenwood and its half price, too.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.