Mizuno shaft optimizer

mlf

I went to the PGA store and tried the Mizuno shaft flex optimizer and it recommended Project X 6.0 as the top choice as well as KBS and Dynamic Gold. All are in the 120-130 gram range. I had played these shafts for several years and had mixed results. Probably had my best scores with the PX, until last summer when I tried the Nippon 105X. I have consistently shot my best rounds with this shaft and was wondering why this would be. I almost wonder if I should buy a set of irons with the PX in them and test side by side on the course or just stick with what works. My only concern is that the weight is so different from what I am playing now it had me concerned.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing to remember with shaft optimizer is that it fits you into a profile and isn't for an exact/best fit. If you like 105X bring your club in and hit a similar or same club with PX 6.0 and compare results. Or look for a used club on ebay fit with PX 6.0 to try and see if you still like it.

Bottom line, if you have a shaft you like and your numbers (launch, spin, apex, etc) are good, why change? Again, it's only a recommender engine software.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @jmac13 said:

> Is the Nippon 105 offered by Mizuno. I watched a TXG video about the optimizer and I thought I remembered the Mizuno guy saying that wasn’t one of their options. Just a thought...

Easy to find out...

https://www.mizunousa.com/category/shafts+and+grips.do?gc=100939&sortby=ourPicksAscend&pp=12&page=1

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

There is a misunderstanding of what the Mizuno shaft optimiser is (and is not)

It is a tool for quick short listing the significantly large number of custom shafts down to a manageable set for actual testing.

It is not perfect, it doesn’t always give the perfect shaft as the top recommendation (or perhaps even in the top five) .

The software selects shafts principally on weight, driven by the DNA Tempo factor. In the case of the OP the Modus 105 X has a bend profile that is fairly close to the Project X 6.0 it is simply lighter (8 grams) and a little softer.

The real strength of the optimiser is it gives the same starting recommendations regardless where or how often you use it (acknowledging software and custom shaft updates). This makes it a very useful tool in the big box store environment.

I used the new Shaft Optimizer at PGA Superstore and it recommended X100 AMT which I use, so that was reassuring. Nippon is not an option as a shaft upgrade through Mizuno so they won't show up as a recommendation.

The one thing I really liked was the lie angle recommendation. The lie board always told me I need to be 1* up but it never felt right and the ball constantly went left. The shaft optimizer said I should be 1* flat. Much better and consistent ball flight.

I was in the same boat with my use of the optimizer it gave me C-taper and DG X100 and PX 6.5 as my top 3 but from prior use of them I knew I was looking for a lighter version shaft and went with comparing the C-taper lite X and Nippon 120 X and DG 120 x100 those choices were #5,6,7

ultimately went with Nippon 120 X and haven't looked back but was a great starting point for my fitting.

> @mlf said:

> I have consistently shot my best rounds with this shaft and was wondering why this would be. I almost wonder if I should buy a set of irons with the PX in them and test side by side on the course or just stick with what works. My only concern is that the weight is so different from what I am playing now it had me concerned.

The one major flaw in the optimizer is that it has no way to consider or judge the subjective personal preferences of the individual. It's recommendations are based on rough generalizations of what types of shafts generally tend to work well with certain types of swings. It is NOT based on any objective concept of what is "right" or "wrong" for a particular swing type. So there will always be exceptions when dealing with those types of generalizations even though they are not far off a good percentage of the time. That's why the results always need to be verified through testing.

So if you already know from past experiences what works best for you, stick with that and don't worry about what the optimizer says.

> @ObiwanForAll said:

> I used the new Shaft Optimizer at PGA Superstore and it recommended X100 AMT which I use, so that was reassuring. Nippon is not an option as a shaft upgrade through Mizuno so they won't show up as a recommendation.

> The one thing I really liked was the lie angle recommendation. The lie board always told me I need to be 1* up but it never felt right and the ball constantly went left. The shaft optimizer said I should be 1* flat. Much better and consistent ball flight.

There are a few Nippon options when custom ordering Mizuno irons: https://www.mizunousa.com/category/shafts+and+grips.do?gc=100939&content_component_qp=Shaft&content_type_qp=Iron&brand=Nippon&pp=12&sortby=ourPicksAscend&cx=1

Doesn't have their entire product line up, but the 105 & 120 Modus Tours are available, as is the NS Pro 950.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 3 months later...

> @oiler45 said:

> Could one of you Mizuno Shaft Optimizer experts let me know any shaft recommendations (steel or graphite) for these numbers?

> 77 3,4,4,8

> Salesman let me try it but he didn't give me any shaft info.

> Thanks in advance.

What's the point of letting you try it if he's only going to quote you the numbers it spits out. Any reason he couldn't give you the related shaft recommendations?

> @oiler45 said:

> Could one of you Mizuno Shaft Optimizer experts let me know any shaft recommendations (steel or graphite) for these numbers?

> 77 3,4,4,8

> Salesman let me try it but he didn't give me any shaft info.

> Thanks in advance.

1. TT XP 95 S

2. KBS Tour 90 R soft step

3. Nippon NS Pro 950 R soft step

4. PX LZ Graphite R hard step

Shaft Optimizer puts you on the fish but catching the fish is different. Gives a fairly good place to start.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

With Aggressive tempo recommendation is to go heavier shaft to help, thus all the shafts listed 125-130 grams. Quick tempo with aggressive loading, guys usually do well with PX 6.5 and C Taper stiff plus(125 grams) or extra stiff (130 grams). Those shafts do a great job keeping spin lower as well. A guy with smooth tempo will typically say those shafts feel like rebar lol. Timing of Release plays big role as well.

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

@ktfraser said "Certainly backups my theory that my Modus3 120 Stiff iron shafts were a little too active."
Actually it doesn't but fortunately you don't really need the optimizer to help you judge if a shaft is too active or not. That's purely a matter of whether or not the amount of loading you feel from the shaft is more than your particular preferences or expectations for how much you think it should load. And the optimizer doesn't have a clue when it comes to those subjective preferences.
Short answer is that if it feels to you like the shaft is loading too much, then it most likely is loading too much and you should migrate to a stiffer feeling shaft. The more complete answer is that it depends on how it feels to you AND how it effects the results - particularly the consistency of the results and the ability to manage the shot shape.

I went through the process of the Mizuno shaft optimizer myself and the recommended shafts were

P.X 6.5

C-Taper

P.X 6.5 LZ

my current gamers are DG X100 in Mizuno MP 67’s

The numbers I produce (95mph 7Iron at around 7400rpm), link me to these three shafts. With that being said, the Mizuno Shaft optimizer didn’t take into consideration WHY I was there. I told the club fitter that I don’t play as much as I used to (2 young children 3 yr old and a 6 month old) I am 43 years old, I had a back injury and now have lower back pain with arthritis........ I’m not getting any younger!

I was looking for something a little easier to manage (other than straight up blades with X-Stiff shafts) and something that was a bit more forgiving (I’m a pretty decent ball striker, but don’t play much) and also something that felt a littler softer, without throwing off my timing, or ruining my dispersion (let’s face it, if you are a decent ball striker, you can adjust to the nuances of each club after a range session) I tried a few clubs (settles on the MP20-HMB) and after the club fitter took into consideration, MY IMPUT, rather than just the Optimizers, he fit me into a Modus 120 X or TX shaft (I haven’t purchased the clubs yet, but I could go either way, they both had almost identical dispersion and feel to me, and I have to sell my clubs first or my wife will be looking at me sideways ?)

Anyhow, what are your goals to obtain? Is it Dispersion, Distance, feel, spin rates, flight or a happy medium of them all? I didn’t lose any dispersion with the Modus 120 from the PX 6.5’s and the spin rate wasn’t to much difference, nor was the overall distance (I had lower spin with the 6.5’s and they were marginally longer, the Modus flew a bit higher launch as well, but I don’t have flighting issues, so it was not in my purview) I tend to hit a slight draw, but hit the ball pretty straight overall. I found the PX were easier to fade for me with the longer irons while the Modus was easier to hit little punch draws ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (I tested a 7 iron and a 4 iron of each)

in the end, a good fitter will be able to take into the whole of your golf game and provide insight as you walk the journey of iron fitting. I feel the shaft optimizer is a sterile mathematical enumeration based on static data.

If the numbers are razor thin in separation between shafts, go with feel would be my suggestion, after all you are the one hitting them, not Iron Byron ?

Surprisingly, they have just added driver shaft recommendations along with ball ‘fitting’ to the latest release of the software. Unfortunately I have lost my source for firsthand information. Based on a few trial runs it looks like the iron DNA, is simply extrapolated onto the driver shaft recommendations. This is flawed in many ways, so of little benefit.

The software does contain the EI profiles (traditionally these are only measured for the S flex then extrapolated for the others, so not 100%) so once again interesting since they have a wider range of exotic (expensive) offerings this year.