Koepka defends title; shows charisma with fist pump; glfwrx goes wild

tiderider

[PGA.com website](https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/2019-pga-championship-tee-times-rounds-1-2-bethpage "https://pga.com/events/pgachampionship/2019-pga-championship-tee-times-rounds-1-2-bethpage")

[Full Leaderboard](https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/leaderboard/2019 "https://pga.com/events/pgachampionship/leaderboard/2019")

**Course**

![](https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2019/05/19/USAT/1d3964f0-6567-472d-98ec-ddf454672a19-USATSI_12742855.jpg?width=540&height=&fit=bounds&auto=webp "")

[uSA Today: Brooks shows alpha dog status](https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2019/05/19/brooks-koepka-pga-championship-tour-alpha-dog/39495773/ "https://usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2019/05/19/brooks-koepka-pga-championship-tour-alpha-dog/39495773/")

[www.pga.com: Koepka overcomes rough finish to win](https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/brooks-koepka-overcomes-rough-sunday-showing-win-second-straight-pga "https://pga.com/events/pgachampionship/brooks-koepka-overcomes-rough-sunday-showing-win-second-straight-pga")

[Chamblee compares Koepka to Hogan (sort of)](https://www.golfchannel.com/video/2019-pga-champ-brooks-koepka-hogans-modern-giant "https://golfchannel.com/video/2019-pga-champ-brooks-koepka-hogans-modern-giant")

[Meet the Jazz man](https://www.pgatour.com/news/2019/05/18/meet-jazz-janewattananond-pga-championship-bethpage-black.html "https://pgatour.com/news/2019/05/18/meet-jazz-janewattananond-pga-championship-bethpage-black.html")

The last time the PGA Championship was not the last major played was 1971.

Here's a look back with Dan Jenkins

https://www.si.com/vault/1971/03/08/617921/dominance-of-the-smiling-bear

That week Jack Nicklaus became the first golfer to win all four professional majors twice. It was his ninth pro major overall.

who all has played the black? ... played it 2 years ago for the only time, thus far, though will play it on a 2-day layover this june before heading to scotland ... played the red on a monday, and got a little too excited that night about being in long island and playing bethpage ... drank way too much wine and had a fairly decent hangover the next day as i got up at 6 to go acquire a tee time ... teed off at 9 and shot a smooth 78 from the whites carrying 11 clubs ... got up/down for par from the fairway on 15/16 and that deep left bunker on 17 ... very proud of that one ...

Our long national nightmare is almost at an end. For twenty years TNT has been the cable home for the first two rounds of the PGA Championship. The endless complaints of no coverage of the morning half of the field have been the highlight, which will reach it's peak this Thursday when everyone wants to watch Tiger.

Starting next year, early round coverage of the PGA Championship will be on ESPN. And TNT can go back to endless reruns of Law & Order.

• Like 3

> @tiderider said:

> **Course**

> Bethpage Black (A.W. Tillinghast)

> owna6c5lynue.png

>

>

> **TV Schedule**

> First Round, Thursday, May 16/TNT: 1:00 – 7:00 p.m.

> Second Round, Friday, May 17/TNT 1:00 – 7:30 p.m.

> Third Round, Saturday, May 18/TNT: 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m./CBS: 2:00 - 7:00 p.m.

> Fourth Round, Sunday, May 19/TNT: 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m./CBS: 2:00 - 7:00 p.m.

> **Live Streaming (app/online)**

> Featured Group # 1 (AM and PM groups)

> Thurs / Fri: 8:30 am – 7:00 pm; Sat / Sun: 11:00 am – 7:00 pm

> Featured Group # 2 (AM and PM groups)

> Thurs / Fri: 9:30 am – 7:00 pm; Sat / Sun: 11:00 am – 7:00 pm

> Featured Holes: 16, 17, & 18

> Thurs: 1:00 pm - 7:00 pm ; Friday: 1:00 pm – 7:30 pm; Sat/Sun: 11:00 am - 7:00 pm

> **Tee Time & Pairings**

> https://pga.com/events/pgachampionship/2019-pga-championship-tee-times-rounds-1-2-bethpage

> 1st round tee times

> 7:40 AM* — Sergio Garcia, Justin Thomas, Adam Scott

> 8:02 AM* — Rickie Fowler, Bubba Watson, Justin Rose

> 8:24 AM* — Brooks Koepka, Francesco Molinari, Tiger Woods

> 1:16 PM — Jon Rahm, Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth

> 1:38 PM — Rory McIlroy, Phil Mickelson, Jason Day

> **Favorites/Odds**

> Tiger Woods 8-1 Dustin Johnson 10-1 Rory McIlroy 12-1 Brooks Koepka 10-1 Justin Thomas 16-1 Rickie Fowler 16-1 Jon Rahm 18-1 Justin Rose 18-1 Francesco Molinari 20-1

> Bryson DeChambeau 25-1 Jason Day 25-1 Xander Schauffele 25-1 Tommy Fleetwood 25-1 Jordan Spieth 30-1 Tony Finau 30-1 Matt Kuchar 40-1 Patrick Reed 40-1

> Hideki Matsuyama 40-1 Patrick Cantlay 40-1 Paul Casey 50-1 Phil Mickelson 50-1 Adam Scott 50-1 Sergio Garcia 60-1 Webb Simpson 60-1 Louis Oosthuizen 60-1

> Bubba Watson 60-1 Henrik Stenson 60-1 Marc Leishman 60-1 Gary Woodland 60-1 Ian Poulter 60-1

> ![](http://www.thestandard.com.hk/images/instant_news//20180813/20180813161756112063frontPhoto.jpeg "")

> Thanks Tiderider…...Score cards and the other info should be posted for every tournament. A wealth of information.

Would love to see Tiger win but after not playing post Masters win I dunno. It almost feels like that win took so much out of him he’s not going to be prepared for the pga. Hope I’m wrong though.

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

> @tiderider said:

> who all has played the black? ... played it 2 years ago for the only time, thus far, though will play it on a 2-day layover this june before heading to scotland ... played the red on a monday, and got a little too excited that night about being in long island and playing bethpage ... drank way too much wine and had a fairly decent hangover the next day as i got up at 6 to go acquire a tee time ... teed off at 9 and shot a smooth 78 from the whites carrying 11 clubs ... got up/down for par from the fairway on 15/16 and that deep left bunker on 17 ... very proud of that one ...

The red is a great course, unfortunately you didn't get a full taste for the course, two of what I think are the best holes on the front are severely shortened. The first hole; a beast of a par 4 is playing only as a 95 yards par three, and the all up hill par five number 5 is playing as a short (300 yard) par 4. Not sure if they shortened any other holes out. The back nine is a beast from the tips. The red is a fun and yet challenging course to play. Hopefully you will get to play it again, perhaps do a red and black 36 in one day. That is an awesome day of golf (and you can take a cart on the red for the 2nd round).

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

> @"Long Shot" said:

> > @tiderider said:

> > who all has played the black? ... played it 2 years ago for the only time, thus far, though will play it on a 2-day layover this june before heading to scotland ... played the red on a monday, and got a little too excited that night about being in long island and playing bethpage ... drank way too much wine and had a fairly decent hangover the next day as i got up at 6 to go acquire a tee time ... teed off at 9 and shot a smooth 78 from the whites carrying 11 clubs ... got up/down for par from the fairway on 15/16 and that deep left bunker on 17 ... very proud of that one ...

>

> The red is a great course, unfortunately you didn't get a full taste for the course, two of what I think are the best holes on the front are severely shortened. The first hole; a beast of a par 4 is playing only as a 95 yards par three, and the all up hill par five number 5 is playing as a short (300 yard) par 4. Not sure if they shortened any other holes out. The back nine is a beast from the tips. The red is a fun and yet challenging course to play. Hopefully you will get to play it again, perhaps do a red and black 36 in one day. That is an awesome day of golf (and you can take a cart on the red for the 2nd round).

?? ... the first hole when i played the red was a monster par 4 ... walked it also ...

> @sbjinx said:

> Would love to see Tiger win but after not playing post Masters win I dunno. It almost feels like that win took so much out of him he’s not going to be prepared for the pga. Hope I’m wrong though.

No way man that's not the Tiger Woods I know. Notice TW is not making a huge deal of the Masters. Didn't go to the top of the Empire State building, or any talk shows. Nothing on social media about a big celebration. The Tiger Woods I know wants to win everything now. He has had 5, 6, and 7 win streaks in his career. This is not a guy who wins and then gets complacent. He is going to make the most of every major championship opportunity. He will be ready. In that last Golftv interview, he explicitly promised it.

• Like 1

@"Long Shot" said:

> > @tiderider said:

> > who all has played the black? ... played it 2 years ago for the only time, thus far, though will play it on a 2-day layover this june before heading to scotland ... played the red on a monday, and got a little too excited that night about being in long island and playing bethpage ... drank way too much wine and had a fairly decent hangover the next day as i got up at 6 to go acquire a tee time ... teed off at 9 and shot a smooth 78 from the whites carrying 11 clubs ... got up/down for par from the fairway on 15/16 and that deep left bunker on 17 ... very proud of that one ...

>

> The red is a great course, unfortunately you didn't get a full taste for the course, two of what I think are the best holes on the front are severely shortened. The first hole; a beast of a par 4 is playing only as a 95 yards par three, and the all up hill par five number 5 is playing as a short (300 yard) par 4. Not sure if they shortened any other holes out. The back nine is a beast from the tips. The red is a fun and yet challenging course to play. Hopefully you will get to play it again, perhaps do a red and black 36 in one day. That is an awesome day of golf (and you can take a cart on the red for the 2nd round).

Been years but played it a few times. Great course, lotta doglegs, which is cool.

if the greens weren't flat pancakes, probably best course in the world. dunno why redesign didn't include recontouring greens

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @tiderider said:

> who all has played the black? ... played it 2 years ago for the only time, thus far, though will play it on a 2-day layover this june before heading to scotland ... played the red on a monday, and got a little too excited that night about being in long island and playing bethpage ... drank way too much wine and had a fairly decent hangover the next day as i got up at 6 to go acquire a tee time ... teed off at 9 and shot a smooth 78 from the whites carrying 11 clubs ... got up/down for par from the fairway on 15/16 and that deep left bunker on 17 ... very proud of that one ...

As I live in the area six months out of the year, I've probably played the Black 30-40 times. That and the Red course are definitely among my favorite layouts, no doubt.

> @JD3 said:

> if the greens weren't flat pancakes, probably best course in the world. dunno why redesign didn't include recontouring greens

Course plays pretty damned tough as it is....especially if you got out of position (above the hole) on the greens. Locals here like them just fine, thanks. hehe

> @BobMorris said:

> > @JD3 said:

> > if the greens weren't flat pancakes, probably best course in the world. dunno why redesign didn't include recontouring greens

>

> Course plays pretty damned tough as it is....especially if you got out of position (above the hole) on the greens. Locals here like them just fine, thanks. hehe

Difference between tough and interesting. This could have been both.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @legitimategolf said:

> > @sbjinx said:

> > Would love to see Tiger win but after not playing post Masters win I dunno. It almost feels like that win took so much out of him he’s not going to be prepared for the pga. Hope I’m wrong though.

>

> No way man that's not the Tiger Woods I know. Notice TW is not making a huge deal of the Masters. Didn't go to the top of the Empire State building, or any talk shows. Nothing on social media about a big celebration. The Tiger Woods I know wants to win everything now. He has had 5, 6, and 7 win streaks in his career. This is not a guy who wins and then gets complacent. He is going to make the most of every major championship opportunity. He will be ready. In that last Golftv interview, he explicitly promised it.

Hope so. Would love to see him be competitive in majors for a while.

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

the PGA took quite a risk playing their major in the Northeast US in May. High temp might not crack 70F, but the current forecast is for no rain until late afternoon Sunday. I live in the NE US and the courses where I live are soaking wet, and little behind where they would normally be this time of year as far as greens conditions, and quality of grass coverage.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

PGA Championship

Bethpage State Park BK Course - Bethpage, New York

May 16 - 19, 2019

ODDS to Win:

Tiger Woods 8/1

Dustin Johnson 10/1

Rory McIlroy 12/1

Justin Thomas 16/1

Brooks Koepka 10/1

Rickie Fowler 16/1

Jon Rahm 18/1

Justin Rose 20/1

Jason Day 25/1

Francesco Molinari 25/1

Bryson DeChambeau 30/1

Jordan Spieth 30/1

Tommy Fleetwood 25/1

Xander Schauffele 25/1

Tony Finau 30/1

Hideki Matsuyama 40/1

Adam Scott 50/1

Phil Mickelson 60/1

Patrick Reed 50/1

Louis Oosthuizen 60/1

Paul Casey 50/1

Patrick Cantlay 40/1

Matt Kuchar 50/1

Bubba Watson 60/1

Sergio Garcia 60/1

Henrik Stenson 60/1

Marc Leishman 80/1

Gary Woodland 60/1

Webb Simpson 60/1

Kevin Kisner 80/1

Cameron Smith 125/1

Ian Poulter 60/1

> @Lodestone said:

> the PGA took quite a risk playing their major in the Northeast US in May. High temp might not crack 70F, but the current forecast is for no rain until late afternoon Sunday. I live in the NE US and the courses where I live are soaking wet, and little behind where they would normally be this time of year as far as greens conditions, and quality of grass coverage.

would think long island is a bit of an exception since due to its geography, but i'm no geologist/climatologist/weatherman/physicist/scientist ...

> @tiderider said:

> > @Lodestone said:

> > the PGA took quite a risk playing their major in the Northeast US in May. High temp might not crack 70F, but the current forecast is for no rain until late afternoon Sunday. I live in the NE US and the courses where I live are soaking wet, and little behind where they would normally be this time of year as far as greens conditions, and quality of grass coverage.

>

> would think long island is a bit of an exception since due to its geography, but i'm no geologist/climatologist/weatherman/physicist/scientist ...

to some degree yes, but right now it's 44F, cloudy, and going to get windy.

FORE RIGHT!!!!