Best Resort Complex? Rank em.

Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough!Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,154 ✭✭

So best resort complex. Rank them.

Streamsong
Whistling Straits
Sand Valley
Bandon Dunes
Pinehurst
Pebble Beach
PGA West

All have at least 3-8 courses I believe. Also am I missing some? I don't mean area, I mean resort complex owned and operated by same company.

«1

Comments

  • monty09monty09 Members Posts: 234 ✭✭

    Barton Creek - austin good

  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,154 ✭✭

    My ranking would be: (Steamsong is out because I havne't played there).
    1. Bandon Dunes
    2. Pebble Beach
    3. Whistling Straits
    4. Pinehurst
    5. PGA West
    6. Sandy Valley

  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 Members Posts: 2,791 ✭✭
    edited May 13, 2019 9:33pm #4

    If min 3 courses, the ones I can think of: Barefoot Resort in Myrtle; Wailea (if inc Hawaii); La Quinta; Sunriver in Bend

    Post edited by puttnforthe8 on
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 20,327 ✭✭
    edited May 13, 2019 8:48pm #5

    Reunion Resort in Orlando has 3 courses. Doral has four. Innisbrook has four. Barton Creek has four. Disney World has three 18 hole courses. Boyne Highlands has four. Treetops has four. Eagle Ridge (IL) has three. Geneva National (WI) has three. Gull Lake (MI) has four.

  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,268 ✭✭

    Are you asking us to rate only the ones you listed? And is the rating based on the resort or the golf courses? or both?

  • jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 528 ✭✭

    Here are my thoughts based on the resorts I have played.

    Ranking based on the quality / enjoyment of the golf experience:
    1. Bandon
    2. Kohler / Whistling Straits
    3. Pinehurst
    4. Pebble Beach

    Ranking based on the value for $$$
    1. Pinehurst
    2. Kohler / Whistling Straits
    3. Bandon
    4. Pebble

    Ranking if you are bringing a non-golfing spouse and/or family
    1. Kohler / Whistling Straits
    2. Pinehurst
    3. Pebble
    4. Bandon

  • AThompson_3AThompson_3 Members Posts: 1,401 ✭✭

    Forest Dunes now has 3 courses with: Forest Dunes and The Loop Red and Black.

    Driver: Callaway Epic SZ 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
    3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15* Diamana D+ 70X
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2 19* Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Black 9X
    Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-P DGTI X100
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 50F, 55S, 60M Project X 6.5
    Putter(s): Odyssey O Works 7s Black, Bettinardi BB1F
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four-5
  • wrigleywrigley Members Posts: 130 ✭✭

    Kiawah resort is very nice.

  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,154 ✭✭

    YOu guys can rank em however you want. I just rank the resort complex golf courses they have personally, but no criteria. Would probably be a good idea to only rank those you have played. Also many of you are pointing out other resorts, but would they even be in your own top 5/10? If not leave em be.

  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 20,327 ✭✭

    Top 5 would be:

    1. Bandon
    2. Streamsong
    3. Kohler / Whistling Straits
    4. Pinehurst
    5. Pebble Beach
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 Members Posts: 2,791 ✭✭

    Mine(have played):
    1. Bandon
    2. Pinehurst
    3. Kohler / Whistling Straits
    4. Pebble
    5. Wailea
    6. Sunriver/Crosswater
    7. Barefoot
    8. Innisbrook
    9. La Quinta/PGA West
    10. Disney or Geneva

    While not the same: Kapalua/Kaanapali are kind of a resort trip which is pretty good.

  • BG5BG5 Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭

    Add Forest Dunes to the list! That place is unique and well deserving of having all 3 courses in the top 100

    Ping K15 Driver - 10.5*
    Ping K15 3 Wood 16* & 5 Wood 19*
    Ping Karsten Hybrids 19* 22* 25*
    Ping Karsten Irons 6-PW
    Ping Karsten Wedges 51* 55*
    Ping Scottsdale Greyhawk TR Putter
    WITB Link
  • burnsniperburnsniper Members Posts: 534 ✭✭

    Haven’t played Bandon, but Pinehurst is hard to beat if you stay on property. I would follow Pinehurst with Kiawah.

    I would also throw Primland, the Homestead, and Bedford Springs into the mix for combined quality of golf + resort/luxury amenities.

  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,006 ✭✭

    @BG5 said:
    Add Forest Dunes to the list! That place is unique and well deserving of having all 3 courses in the top 100

    Forest Dunes is a really cool place. If it were closer to my family and friends I would have loved to have my bachelor party there. The patio and gathering area is very cool. Having a fire out there, playing bags and drinking a couple beers to end the night is great.

    To me the answer for best resort is pretty easy. Bandon Dunes. It is golfing paradise. Simply the best golf atmosphere I have ever experienced.

  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,013 ✭✭

    Gleneagles and St. Andrews Trust? I'm not an island paraside person, but Casa da Campo?

  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,268 ✭✭

    Pebble Beach (the resort) is head and shoulders above all the rest.

  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,268 ✭✭

    @AThompson_3 said:
    Forest Dunes now has 3 courses with: Forest Dunes and The Loop Red and Black.

    But is it a resort?

  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,624 ✭✭

    @Roadking2003 said:
    Pebble Beach (the resort) is head and shoulders above all the rest.

    if golf is not your top priority, sure ...

  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,016 ✭✭

    Bandon Dunes
    Pinehurst
    Pebble Beach
    Streamsong
    Whistling Straits
    PGA West

    Haven't been to Sand Valley yet.

    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,006 ✭✭

    @tiderider said:

    @Roadking2003 said:
    Pebble Beach (the resort) is head and shoulders above all the rest.

    if golf is not your top priority, sure ...

    Yea because Pebble Beach, Spyglass, and Spanish Bay are just awful... 🙄

  • vallygolfvallygolf Members Posts: 403 ✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019 2:50pm #22

    Unfortunately (or fortunately) my wife loves to go to nice resorts. The good thing is, she appreciates that I am going to steer toward golf-centric locations. She is not shy with her opinions and while she often goes to the course with me she rarely plays....I think the spa calls to her about hole 2. We have been to every resort listed above, but she has not been to Sand Valley. I have played PGA West but not stayed there.

    Her list (I thought I would include it in case you are considering taking a spouse or GF):
    Pebble beach: Not even close in her mind, the Lodge on the 18th fairway (especially with the new remodel) is her favorite. Best food, most to do on resort, unmatched beauty. Most beautiful course. Killer spa.
    Pinehurst: She loved the Carolina Hotel with its charm, but not on the golf course was disappointing. She is spoiled with Pebble views. Spa good, food very good. She likes the staff and people best at this resort.
    Streamsong: Secluded. She does like being away from everything from time to time. Gets the nod over WS because she likes the hotel and spa better.
    Whistling Sts: American Club is a hotel in Kohler. She didnt even really know it was tied to golf. Services were not what she has come to expect from high end resorts. "its just an old expensive hotel", and the course was "ugly" compared to pebble....her words.
    Bandon: Saw this coming. No great spa, just wind, rain, and killer golf. I told her so, but she still wanted to come.
    She would put the Sanctuary on Kiawah second on this list FYI

    My List:
    Pebble:. As far as resorts go all things considered it is unmatched IMO. Golf is not as good as other places, but it never gets old. It still is the only tee I get nerves on #1. Apex pricing.
    Bandon:. Ill choose this every time for golf. My favorite golf on the planet in one place. I cant think of anywhere that has this good of golf at one resort. Others are closing in, but it still rules in my mind
    Pinehurst: Close second for golf. I thought the Carolina was a bit ragged, and a downer that it isnt on the golf course. Food and people are fantastic.
    Streamsong: with the addition of the black #3,4,5 are all bunched at a tie for 3rd. Resort is ok in my mind golf is good. My only gripe is the blue could be so much better if it played more links like.
    Sand Valley: Very resort friendly courses is the only knock. Golf could be a tick better, and like streamsong is in the middle of nowhere
    WS: Not a huge fan of contrived golf. American Club is way overpriced for what it is. River course is the best on property.
    PGA West:. I dont think it belongs on this list.

  • gerdygerdy Members Posts: 17 ✭✭

    This really isn't that challenging of a list.
    If you are looking at overall resort:
    Pebble - Its not close
    Kiawah - Beach, Charleston, Great Golf, Ect.
    Whistling Straints - American Club is spectacular, but if you have non-golfers with you they run our of things to do in a day or two
    Pinehurst - Mediocre Accommodations unless you are staying in the cottages that have four rooms attached to a common area. Golf is all the same, I know sacrilege. No. 8 is in my opinion the only course that gives you a different feel than No. 1-7. Also non-golfer is bored after 2 days in Pinehurst.
    Once you get into Bandon, Streamsong, Sand Valley, ect. I would say they are golf destinations not resorts, just my opinion. Played everything but Sand Valley.

    If you are asking me the top five or six I would choose for resorts:
    1) Pebble Beach
    2) Kiawah Island
    3) Kapalua
    4) Sea Island
    5) Whistling Straits
    6) Pinehurst

    If you are asking where would I go for golf:
    1) Pebble Beach
    2) Kiawah Island (granted I'm including River & Cassique)
    3) Streamsong
    4) Pinehurst
    5) Bandon (I get the love affair and it is 4+ good courses with diversity, however, the lodging/food is average at best. It is easier from the East Coast to go to Scotland/Ireland get better courses, better lodging and the same or better food.)
    6) Whistling Straits
    I am sure my opinions aren't popular. I also did not take price into account which sometimes is a determining factor.

  • vallygolfvallygolf Members Posts: 403 ✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019 4:07pm #24

    Ya, its a fair point about travel time to Bandon from the east coast. Huge factor IMO. I think that is what makes Pebble so great for me. 2hr direct flight from Phx to Monterey. I usually catch the noonish flight home and normally arrive 25 mins before the flight and end up waiting 15 mins to board. From the west coast 10 hrs to London overnight makes it a haul. Similar travel time to Bandon (major carrier) including drive time from the east coast. I havent graduated to the private jet.......yet ;) .

  • burnsniperburnsniper Members Posts: 534 ✭✭

    @gerdy said:
    Pinehurst - Mediocre Accommodations unless you are staying in the cottages that have four rooms attached to a common area.

    If you stay and eat at the Holly Inn or Carolina Hotel, Pinehurst accommodations are as good as almost anything in the US.

  • KMeloneyKMeloney Members Posts: 4,749 ✭✭

    Sea Island is about as awesome as it gets.

    Otherwise, I'd add Grand Cypress in Orlando to the original list.

  • gerdygerdy Members Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019 6:18pm #27
  • gerdygerdy Members Posts: 17 ✭✭

    @burnsniper said:

    @gerdy said:
    Pinehurst - Mediocre Accommodations unless you are staying in the cottages that have four rooms attached to a common area.

    If you stay and eat at the Holly Inn or Carolina Hotel, Pinehurst accommodations are as good as almost anything in the US.

    Like I said, my opinion will not be in the majority on this board. However, none of the accommodations at Pinehurst are rated 5 star or 5 diamond by AAA or Mobile. All of the other resorts that I mentioned are rated at that level. Not to mention the probably 100 other properties in the country. The food at Pinehurst was great 10 years ago, I was back last year and ate off property every night and had better meals. Like I said I am nit picking. However, the Carolina is dated, it is to some extent intentional, however, you go to the Greenbrier and it looks like it is from 1900 but was redone 5 years ago.

    I also think it is incredibly difficult from a lodging perspective to beat any of the three properties at Pebble, American Club in Kohler, The Lodge or The Cloister in Sea Island, or The Sanctuary at Kiawah. They are just in another league from anything available at Pinehurst.

  • burnsniperburnsniper Members Posts: 534 ✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019 9:31pm #29

    @gerdy said:

    @burnsniper said:

    @gerdy said:
    Pinehurst - Mediocre Accommodations unless you are staying in the cottages that have four rooms attached to a common area.

    If you stay and eat at the Holly Inn or Carolina Hotel, Pinehurst accommodations are as good as almost anything in the US.

    Like I said, my opinion will not be in the majority on this board. However, none of the accommodations at Pinehurst are rated 5 star or 5 diamond by AAA or Mobile. All of the other resorts that I mentioned are rated at that level. Not to mention the probably 100 other properties in the country. The food at Pinehurst was great 10 years ago, I was back last year and ate off property every night and had better meals. Like I said I am nit picking. However, the Carolina is dated, it is to some extent intentional, however, you go to the Greenbrier and it looks like it is from 1900 but was redone 5 years ago.

    I also think it is incredibly difficult from a lodging perspective to beat any of the three properties at Pebble, American Club in Kohler, The Lodge or The Cloister in Sea Island, or The Sanctuary at Kiawah. They are just in another league from anything available at Pinehurst.

    IMO the Carolina Hotel and especially the Holly Inn are as nice if nicer than the Sanctuary at Kiawah. Haven’t stayed at the others you have mentioned but have stayed at many other top non gold resorts. Most people that visit Pinehurst stay in condos and not one of the hotels. Dinner at the Holly is first class (technically 4 star) and breakfast at the Carolinia is unreal.

    Primland is a notch above any other place I have ever been world wide.

    Also, I am sure Pebble is also unbelievable considering it is 2x typical the cost Pinehurst or Kiawah.

  • burnsniperburnsniper Members Posts: 534 ✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019 9:29pm #30
  • vallygolfvallygolf Members Posts: 403 ✭✭

    @burnsniper said:

    @gerdy said:

    @burnsniper said:

    @gerdy said:
    Pinehurst - Mediocre Accommodations unless you are staying in the cottages that have four rooms attached to a common area.

    If you stay and eat at the Holly Inn or Carolina Hotel, Pinehurst accommodations are as good as almost anything in the US.

    Like I said, my opinion will not be in the majority on this board. However, none of the accommodations at Pinehurst are rated 5 star or 5 diamond by AAA or Mobile. All of the other resorts that I mentioned are rated at that level. Not to mention the probably 100 other properties in the country. The food at Pinehurst was great 10 years ago, I was back last year and ate off property every night and had better meals. Like I said I am nit picking. However, the Carolina is dated, it is to some extent intentional, however, you go to the Greenbrier and it looks like it is from 1900 but was redone 5 years ago.

    I also think it is incredibly difficult from a lodging perspective to beat any of the three properties at Pebble, American Club in Kohler, The Lodge or The Cloister in Sea Island, or The Sanctuary at Kiawah. They are just in another league from anything available at Pinehurst.

    IMO the Carolina Hotel and especially the Holly Inn are as nice if nicer than the Sanctuary at Kiawah. Haven’t stayed at the others you have mentioned but have stayed at many other top non gold resorts. Most people that visit Pinehurst stay in condos and not one of the hotels. Dinner at the Holly is first class (technically 4 star) and breakfast at the Carolinia is unreal.

    Primland is a notch above any other place I have ever been world wide.

    Also, I am sure Pebble is also unbelievable considering it is 2x typical the cost Pinehurst or Kiawah.

    I like the dated vibe in a resort, but not in the room itself. Carolinas rooms felt dated and not up to the standard of others mentioned. The friendliness and hospitality and overall historic feel are cool and the food is really good. I did however like the Sanctuary better. Just my preference.

Sign In or Register to comment.