One length struggles

bird_4_3bird_4_3 Members Posts: 601 ✭✭

So, I either hit a fantastic shot with the one length Cobra irons or I shank it. I think it is because I stand to far away from the ball with the short irons. I lace the 5-7 irons. I am not done working on this, but I also am not convinced. I have a one plane swing and did not think this would be that hard of an adjustment, but for now I am wrong.

TM M4 w/ UST V2
Epic 3
Wishon 949 5 wood Oban Devotion
Srixon U85 5-6 and 785 7-PW
Odyssey O Works #7 Putter
TM Milled Grid Wedges

Comments

• NokeNoke Members Posts: 2,105 ✭✭

I always found the Cobra OL stuff too long at 37.75” or whatever they play at off the rack. Were you fitted for those irons?

Maybe try gripping down an inch on everything and see if consistency improves?

• TKSTKS Members Posts: 203 ✭✭

Get them to the 8 iron length. Wishon was right. But mainly this is a mental thing, took me 6moths of transition coming from 35yrs of playing blades. but when it is on there is nothing like it - point and shoot.

All Wishon, all the time:
    919THI 11* Black Driver, Red Shaft - S
    919F/D, Black Shaft
    775 18* hyb, Interflexx Shaft
    590 4iron, Black hybd Shaft
    5-SW Sterlings S300's
    PCF Micro 58*
    S2R #5 putter Double Bend Shaft
    Softer Urethane balls - too many to list
  • P.E.P.E. Members Posts: 83 ✭✭

As I practice with my Wishon Sterling irons I make solid contact with the 7 - LW.

4, 5 & 6 irons not so well and I think it is because I want to swing harder with the lower lofted clubs.

I can't consistently get it through my head that all the clubs are the same length and weight and require the same swing.

Not sure you have the same issues but it appears there are some similarities.

Hopefully more practice/play will diminish the swing variances.

• bird_4_3bird_4_3 Members Posts: 601 ✭✭

Funny you mentioned the length. I did choke down today and had better luck. I am going to take the grips off and the connect. Just put normal grips on them.

TM M4 w/ UST V2
    Epic 3
    TM Milled Grid Wedges
  • Clemente80Clemente80 Members Posts: 32 ✭✭

Stick with them! I switched from traditional length and found that there was more of an adjustment than I thought. Took about 6-7 rounds. Biggest thing is that I was swinging a little too hard with 6-7. Take a standard solid 8 iron swing with everything and it’s point and shoot. Can’t see how I would go back.

• g-offg-off Members Posts: 335 ✭✭

Been on the one length train for about 1.5 years, the hardest irons are the long irons, you have to convince yourself to just use the 7 iron swing, hard to do but trust the clubs. Length is also key, currently play edels had wishons prior both worked best at 36.5. Also helps playing around with ball position a bit.

epic flash driver

steelhead xr heavenwood

steelhead xr 9 wood

edel sls 01 5,7,9,gap

hogan tk 58

putter rotates daily

always hoing the next best thing
  • alfridayalfriday Members Posts: 471 ✭✭

Try this: Go out to the range and randomly arrange your clubs with the club head down so you can't see the number on the club. Take your 7 iron (or 8 iron if they are 8 iron length) and hit a number of shots to get the feel. Then randomly grab one of the other clubs and swing just like you did with the 7 iron. Keep doing this though the entire set. 7 iron followed by random club. Don't look at the number on the club, just swing the same as you did with the 7 iron. Obviously, you'll know you have a high or low lofted club, but try to ignore that and just swing the same as you did with the 7 iron. Rinse and repeat to help get yourself over the mental hurdle of swinging clubs with different lofts.

• rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers Posts: 758 ✭✭

@alfriday said:
    Try this: Go out to the range and randomly arrange your clubs with the club head down so you can't see the number on the club. Take your 7 iron (or 8 iron if they are 8 iron length) and hit a number of shots to get the feel. Then randomly grab one of the other clubs and swing just like you did with the 7 iron. Keep doing this though the entire set. 7 iron followed by random club. Don't look at the number on the club, just swing the same as you did with the 7 iron. Obviously, you'll know you have a high or low lofted club, but try to ignore that and just swing the same as you did with the 7 iron. Rinse and repeat to help get yourself over the mental hurdle of swinging clubs with different lofts.

Great advice. I just picked up a set used of Black Forged Tec SL with recoil shafts and for some reason I thought they would be 7i length. I didn't hit them consistently well for a couple of dozen ball. Then I compared to my gamer set and discovered they were 8i length. Sounds stupid, but I am like that :-) and once I decided it was like my 8i, I swung accordingly and presto. I am not sure about this experiment but, I am going to put them in the bag this weekend. They are a little shorter distance than my Z765, but only about 1/2 club. Also they have really hard standard sized grips and I play Winn midsized so there is a comfort level there (I will swap them this week). If I try to over swing the 4 and 5, I struggle. When I swung them like an 8i...pretty nice.
    Anyway, one length and one swing is what I am shooting for.
    Good luck!

Mizuno 190ST with Tensei Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Srixon Z765 with SteelFiber R shafts
    or
    Cobra Black Forged Tec 4i - AW with Recoil F4 shafts
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!  
    Oh, changed my mind and still HOing ....but HC finally moving in the right direction.
    Definitions: HOing is changing any spot in your bag 3 or more times in a year
                       Optimizing is changing any/every spot in your bag up to twice a year :-)
  • kiwiikiwii Members Posts: 734 ✭✭

Get the short irons in valuable length. Problem solved.

'17 M1 460 9.5/ Rogue Silver
    XR '14 Pro/ PX LZ
    Adams 9031 18°/ Diamana WB
    716 AP24-pw/DG AMT S300
    '14 TM TP 52/56/60
    2014 Squareback/ Lamkin DE + 2 wraps
    Ogio Ozone, TM targa tour
    Tour Boost 360
    TM TP5/ Srixon Zstar XV
  • dhayse32dhayse32 Members Posts: 799 ✭✭

No longer gaming them, but I tried out the Forged One Lengths last year and at first I was the the same way. I think for me it was mental and I had to get over the fact that my PW was long or my 4i felt short. Once I did that I began to really like them. Ended up getting a good deal on some black Forged Tecs standard lengths that I really liked and decided to go back. BUT I wouldn't be opposed to trying out another one length set down the road.

Ping G410 Plus - Tensei Orange
    910Fd - Bi-Matrix
    Cobra F7 Hybrid - Tour Green
    Cobra Black Forged Tec 4-PW - AMT S300
    Vokey SM6 50*/56*
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red

Hit a bucket of balls the last 2 nights and then went and played 9. Things are getting better, I am sticking with them. Choking down until I change my grips and possibly cut a 1/4" off of the irons. That would make them 1/2" shorter without the Cobra Connect.

TM M4 w/ UST V2
    Epic 3
    TM Milled Grid Wedges

Hit the range this week (not a fan of it) and things are looking much, much better. I am set for this year, I am hitting the ball consistent distances. Very consistent.

TM M4 w/ UST V2
    Epic 3
    TM Milled Grid Wedges
  • rjr25rjr25 Members Posts: 254 ✭✭

I tried OL last year and like you hit the 5-7 very well, but struggled as I continued to work my way down to the wedges. Ultimately this year I decided to go back to variable in the short irons and stick with a few OL clubs at the top of the bag. I feel I get the most out of the shorter long irons so just kept those in the bag. I know it kind of defeats the purpose, but the way I look at it I now have a 'stock' swing I can use on those difficult long clubs, and my play normal variable swing everywhere else. We will see how the year goes.

My 2019 Experiment
    Cobra F9 - 9 degree - Atmos Black TS 6S
    Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19
    Cobra King Utility Black OL 21
    Cobra F7 OL 5&6
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 7-GW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54SS & 58ES
    TaylorMade TP Black Copper Ardmore 3 - 34
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 863 ✭✭

@rjr25 said:
    I tried OL last year and like you hit the 5-7 very well, but struggled as I continued to work my way down to the wedges. Ultimately this year I decided to go back to variable in the short irons and stick with a few OL clubs at the top of the bag. I feel I get the most out of the shorter long irons so just kept those in the bag. I know it kind of defeats the purpose, but the way I look at it I now have a 'stock' swing I can use on those difficult long clubs, and my play normal variable swing everywhere else. We will see how the year goes.

It does not defeat the entire purpose in my opinion. Having long irons that you can swing like a short iron was something that I really benefited from when I was playing single length in 4-7. Took me 6 months to get used to them. If the launch And decent angle were greater I would keep gaming them

g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
  • tucker500tucker500 Members Posts: 868 ✭✭

Summary of comments:

Some hit the long irons better. Some hit the short irons better.

Some may need them longer/shorter.

Some may need more practice time with them. Some had magic after a few rounds.

Some tried them and loved them,or hated them, or were indifferent.

If you didn't know we were talking about ONE length clubs you'd think it was just a discussion about any old iron set.

• rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers Posts: 758 ✭✭
    edited May 19, 2019 11:30am #17

Gave a set of black Forged Tec SL a go on the course Friday. I had given them very little practice time but always feel like I am pretty adaptive and anyway, who can't hit an 8i LOL? Today I will be playing my Srixon's :-). I honestly hit them pretty decent but ran into one issue that I will try to work out on the range. We were playing in some serious wind and I could not figure out how to hit a knock down GW. In fact, full swings with all irons had at least decent outcomes. When I tried to stand on them a little, ease off a little, or keep flight down I struggled.
    As for the GW, I have never hit a club that high...ever. It was like I could strike the ball and then walk back to my cart and then look back to see where it was coming down.
    Positives...no iron really got me in trouble and I hit a lot of greens.
    turf interaction was not V-sole good, but plenty good for my swing.
    Negatives...only two iron shots got me inside 10 feet and my driver was VERY good
    the feel was good but not Srixon forged good.
    We will see as I get some range time on them.

Mizuno 190ST with Tensei Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Srixon Z765 with SteelFiber R shafts
    or
    Cobra Black Forged Tec 4i - AW with Recoil F4 shafts
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!  
    Oh, changed my mind and still HOing ....but HC finally moving in the right direction.
    Definitions: HOing is changing any spot in your bag 3 or more times in a year
                       Optimizing is changing any/every spot in your bag up to twice a year :-)
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf Members Posts: 3,416 ✭✭

@tucker500 said:
    Summary of comments:

Some hit the long irons better. Some hit the short irons better.

Some may need them longer/shorter.

Some may need more practice time with them. Some had magic after a few rounds.

Some tried them and loved them,or hated them, or were indifferent.

If you didn't know we were talking about ONE length clubs you'd think it was just a discussion about any old iron set.

This is a great comment.

Nike SQ Lucky 13* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 X-Flex, 43.5"
    Ping G30 Hybrids 2 17*,  3 19*, 4 22* TFC 419 Stiff
    Pinhawk SL 5-SW +3 Up Apollo Stiff 115
    PM Grind 64*
  • ninjabninjab Members Posts: 125 ✭✭

I played Sterling Single Length 5-GW (had the SW too, but could not get used to it) for a couple years, liked them fairly well but ended up switching to 1/4" progression. I like the little extra swing speed with the long irons and slightly shorter shaft on the short iron/wedges. 2" difference between 5iron and SW, like this more than standard length (long irons too long and wedges too hunched over) or single length.
    I don't really buy the one swing benefit of single length, you are still going to have driver/FW/hybrid/wedge swings, and I certainly swung my 5iron single length different than my single length GW. I think single length is fine for some, but some length progression makes sense for a lot of players.