Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Your State's Golf Mt. Rushmore

13»

Comments

• TerpFangolferTerpFangolfer Members Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I clicked in here thinking this was going to be golf courses - now you got me.
    Maryland => pretty slim pickin's...Fred Funk, George Burns (played at UMd), Billy Hurley III (? Yikes)...and might have to dip into the Am ranks, Buddy Maruchi (also not from Md, but played college for the Terps)...that's all I can come up with. I'm sure I'm missing someone more obvious...

TM R1
    TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
    Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
    Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
    Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
    Ping TR 1966 Anser2
  • ratdg1ratdg1 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 325 ✭✭

@Schley said:
    No idea for Illinois golfers???? Not many.

The Murray brothers, maybe?

Ping G410 9*
    Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
    Ping i210 4-U
    Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
    Bettinardi BB0
    Srixon Q-Star Tour
    Ping Hoofer

• gamesgames Argue for your limitations and they are yours. Des MoinesMembers Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@A.Princey said:
    Steve Stricker, Andy North, Jerry Kelly & ME!!!!! Jk, I honestly don't know who'd be the 4th, and I'm too lazy to care.

Probably Johnny Revolta, who won a PGA Championship, the Western Open, and played on two Ryder Cup teams.

• exgolfproexgolfpro Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ratdg1 said:

@Schley said:
    No idea for Illinois golfers???? Not many.

The Murray brothers, maybe?

DA Weibring, Bob Goalby, Lance Ten Broeck, Gary Hallberg, Mike Small (teacher), DA Points

• exgolfproexgolfpro Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those that listed Missouri left off HOF Judy Rankin. (also left off Brandel Chanblee (imfamous for all the wrong reasons)).

• j.b.newtonj.b.newton Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any Mississippi or Alabama suggestions?

• mcputtermcputter Members Posts: 983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Florida- as far as homegrown players: Gary Koch, Brooks Koepka, Jason Dufner, Lexi Thompson.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
    TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
    Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
    Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
    Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
    Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
    Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
    Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
    Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!
  • RyRauRyRau Santa Clarita, CAMembers Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

@lchang said:
    California: Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Billy Casper, Johnny Miller.
    (No room for Ken Venturi. And others I’ve missed?)
    Better than Texas?

Yeah I’m gonna have to give that one to CA.

• dmecca2dmecca2 Scranton, PAMembers Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

@HatsForBats said:

@Chadwickog said:
    PA has Arnold Palmer, Jim Furyk, A.W. Tillinghast, and.. uhh.. Rocco Mediate

Arnold Palmer, George Fazio, Jim Furyk, Betsy King and A.W. Tillinghast

You guys forgot Art Wall Jr. Definitely second best in the state. 14 PGA wins including the Masters, as well as 45 career holes in one.

• BaddsBadds Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@A.Princey said:
    Steve Stricker, Andy North, Jerry Kelly & ME!!!!! Jk, I honestly don't know who'd be the 4th, and I'm too lazy to care.

Mark Wilson

• golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If the Mt Rushmore of golf in Indiana doesn’t include Don Essig he would personally tear the thing down with his old, nubby, bare hands.

@Fairwindsgolfer said:

@BicknellCC said:
    Indiana
    I guess Fuzzy Zoeller is about it.

Granted they haven't become professional standouts as of yet, but you've got Patrick Rodgers and Jeff Overton

• Fort Worth ProFort Worth Pro Members Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Texas goes Hogan, Nelson, and Whitworth for sure. Then the 4th spot is up in the air. Crenshaw, Demaret, zaharias, Penick, Spieth, Trevino, Rawls, Kite. Probably have to give it to Trevino. 29 PGA Tour wins and 6 majors then 29 champions tour wins.

• mcputtermcputter Members Posts: 983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arizona: Billy Mayfair, Tom Purtzer, Jimmy Carter, Willie Wood.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
    TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
    Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
    Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
    Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
    Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
    Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
    Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
    Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@games said:

@A.Princey said:

Probably Johnny Revolta, who won a PGA Championship, the Western Open, and played on two Ryder Cup teams.

Wasn't Revolta born in Missouri?

• Bob CatBob Cat Golfopath Members Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@golfandfishing said:
    If the Mt Rushmore of golf in Indiana doesn’t include Don Essig he would personally tear the thing down with his old, nubby, bare hands.

@Fairwindsgolfer said:

@BicknellCC said:
    Indiana
    I guess Fuzzy Zoeller is about it.

Granted they haven't become professional standouts as of yet, but you've got Patrick Rodgers and Jeff Overton

In my mind, the first family of Indiana golf are the Gallagher's...
    Jim Sr is still Pro Emeritus at Meshingomasia GC in Marion, IN.
    "Meshingomesia Golf Club is also home to Indiana's most famous golf family, the Gallagher's, National Golf Family of the Year in 1995. Jim Gallagher, Sr., is the patriarch of the family and Golf Ambassador of MGSC. Jim was the PGA Head Golf Professional with Meshingomesia for 37 years. His son's Jim Jr., Jeff and daughter Jackie, have all played and won on the professional tours..."

"I challenge, transform, and instill confidence in young men through the life lessons learned from the game of golf."

Taylormade M1
    TaylorMade R5 Dual (3) / R580 (7)
    Ping i15 / Zing 2
    Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
    TM Spider Tour Black
    Titleist AVX
    Sun Mountain Four 5
    Clicgear 3.5+
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Agree that the Gallagher clan would be on there, I'm just saying DE III and DE IV would carpet bomb the golf office if a Mt Rushmore of Indiana Golf were proposed without them.

• double_ddouble_d Members Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 27, 2019 5:04pm #78

_Arnold Palmer, George Fazio, Jim Furyk, Betsy King and A.W. Tillinghast

You guys forgot Art Wall Jr. Definitely second best in the state. 14 PGA wins including the Masters, as well as 45 career holes in one._

For PA
    I'd add in John J. McDermott. He won back to back US opens.

• dmecca2dmecca2 Scranton, PAMembers Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

For PA
    I'd add in John J. McDermott. He won back to back US opens.

Good one as well

• bma725bma725 Members Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grm24 said:

@games said:

@A.Princey said:

Wasn't Revolta born in Missouri?

Born in Missouri, moved to Wisconsin when he was 12. If you limit it to people born in Wisconsin 4th would probably be Sherry Steinhauer...10 LPGA wins including 2 Majors. If you limit it to men, I guess Mark Wilson would be next on the list.

• Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MountainGoat said:
    The list of great golfers from Maryland is pretty short. In no particular order -- Donnie Hammond, Fred Funk, Mark Carnevale, Jim Estes. Fortunately, our mountains aren't very tall.

that's sad. I know Jim well but other than Fred Funk... head shake..Even if we add DC to maryland no improvement .

Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@TerpFangolfer said:
    I clicked in here thinking this was going to be golf courses - now you got me.
    Maryland => pretty slim pickin's...Fred Funk, George Burns (played at UMd), Billy Hurley III (? Yikes)...and might have to dip into the Am ranks, Buddy Maruchi (also not from Md, but played college for the Terps)...that's all I can come up with. I'm sure I'm missing someone more obvious...

We can't claim Hurley III; he's from Virginia. We can't claim Burns, either. He is from New York.

• Bingo1976Bingo1976 Members Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Cornwall - Jim Barnes x 4 for his 4 major championships

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • rwlrwl Lil' Dickie Members Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 29, 2019 4:27am #84

@Fort Worth Pro said:
    Texas goes Hogan, Nelson, and Whitworth for sure. Then the 4th spot is up in the air. Crenshaw, Demaret, zaharias, Penick, Spieth, Trevino, Rawls, Kite. Probably have to give it to Trevino. 29 PGA Tour wins and 6 majors then 29 champions tour wins.

Agree & no one has a bench like that! Texas over Cally! Sorry boys...

This week`s Starting Line-Up:

B-Stone J815 w/ Fubuki ZT 60, Stiff
    B-Stone J15 3 & 5 w/Fubuki ZT 75, Stiff
    910H 21* w/ Diamana Ahina, Stiff
    B-Stone J40 Combo set w/ Steelfiber i95, Stiff, 5 - Pw
    52*, 56*, 60* Vokey SM5's
    Ping Ti Anser Wrx
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@rwl said:

@grm24 said:

@lchang said:

@rwl said:

@lchang said:
    California: Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Billy Casper, Johnny Miller.
    (No room for Ken Venturi. And others I’ve missed?)
    Better than Texas?

Pretty close but I'd argue Crenshaw over Casper cinches it. Of course I'm biased but not even playing the Babe Zaharias, Harvey Penick et al card

Why Crenshaw over Casper? Casper had 51 Tour wins and 3 majors. Crenshaw with 19 and 2.

Billy Casper all day every day over Ben. Casper is the most over looked under appreciated great player ever. Full stop.

By that measure Kathy Whitworth blows away both Casper & Crenshaw; 88 tour wins most of PGA or LPGA. Still love Ben though... Hook 'em Horns!

Nothing wrong with loving Ben. However the fact is Billy Casper was the better player on the PGA Tour. By a wide margin. As for Kathy Whitworth go ahead an include her. It's not just a male golf Mt. Rushmore.

• lchanglchang Members Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rwl said:

@Fort Worth Pro said:

Hmmm. CA has Tiger, Mickelson, Mickey Wright, Billy Casper.

Bench is Johnny Miller, Ken Venturi, Juli Inkster, Gene Littler, and Lawson Little. Amy Alcott grew up and still lives in California. Mark O’Meara grew up and went to college in California.

All of those names are in the Hall of Fame. You may not know the numbers for Littler, Little, and Alcott, but they’re impressive.

Not at all a clear case for Texas at all.

Plus, some fun: CA has two of my favorite touring pro personalities in James Hahn and Paul Goydos. Plus some bonus points for Corey Pavin, Al Geiberger, and Tony Lema. And then xtra credit points for Rickie Fowler, Natalie Gulbis and Roger Maltbie. Plus Nancy Lopez was born in California (but really New Mexico should claim her as that’s where she grew up.)

• Fort Worth ProFort Worth Pro Members Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@lchang said:

@rwl said:

@Fort Worth Pro said:

Hmmm. CA has Tiger, Mickelson, Mickey Wright, Billy Casper.

Bench is Johnny Miller, Ken Venturi, Juli Inkster, Gene Littler, and Lawson Little. Amy Alcott grew up and still lives in California. Mark O’Meara grew up and went to college in California.

All of those names are in the Hall of Fame. You may not know the numbers for Littler, Little, and Alcott, but they’re impressive.

Not at all a clear case for Texas at all.

Plus, some fun: CA has two of my favorite touring pro personalities in James Hahn and Paul Goydos. Plus some bonus points for Corey Pavin, Al Geiberger, and Tony Lema. And then xtra credit points for Rickie Fowler, Natalie Gulbis and Roger Maltbie. Plus Nancy Lopez was born in California (but really New Mexico should claim her as that’s where she grew up.)

If you were to put into order the players from California and Texas i would rank them
    Tiger, hogan, Whitworth, Nelson, wright, Trevino, Casper, Mickelson. The Texas bench is deeper too with 6 majors between spieth and demaret. Rawls, Crenshaw, kite, justin Leonard, Jack Burke, Patrick reed, and Charles Coody all have majors and I am surely leaving someone out. Harvey penick was the greatest teacher ever and Dan jenkins was the greatest golf writer of the last 50 years.

• rwenner14rwenner14 PAMembers Posts: 25 ✭✭

@NJpatbee said:
    OK, New Jersey. I don't believe we have any of the top 10 golfers of all time but we have Pine Valley (#1), Baltusrol, Trump Bedminster, Seaview, Ridgewood, and many other great courses.

Can't forget Galloway National!

Instagram: rwenner_
    Ping G400 Driver
    Ping G30 3w
    Titleist 910H 20 Oban Kiyoshi Gold
    Mizuno mp-60 4-pw Nippon Modus 120 s
    Trusty Rusty 51, 60
    Callaway PM wedge 56
  • TServosTServos Members Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭

New Hampshire.

Uh....... heck, I might be on the list....

Ping

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file