I-500s; after using them for a while, anybody else loathe them ?

Comments

• t4t3rt4t3r Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭

Thought I was crazy when I tried these out in the store because I didn't like them at all. No feel, and what little there was felt pretty bad. I chalked it up to just not striking them that well as I demo'ed probably a dozen or more irons that day, but was really surprised by these. Ping is pretty consistent with their products but this one seems to have missed the mark.

Taylormade M3 440 10* - Tensei Pro Blue 60tx
    Callaway Alpha 816 DBD 14* - Diamana D+ 70x
    Titleist 913H 21* - Matrix Altus X
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 5-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54.11T - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
    Callaway MD4 Raw 60.08C - DG Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g
  • brandnbilbrandnbil ClubWRX Posts: 40 ✭✭

I too got lured in from a demo/fitting when i saw the distance numbers. But quickly realized those numbers were wildly inconsistent during normal play. And coming from a set mizuno mp-53's, the feel was just abysmal. Even when i would hit the ball good, everything just felt off. Unloaded the i500's bought a new set of jpx 919 tours, and instantly my confidence went back up, and played my best round of golf in the last 10 months.

Callaway Epix Flash Sub Zero, HZRDUS Smoke
    Cobra F9 Speedback 3/4, Atmos Blue
    Callaway Rogue X 3 Hybrid, HZRDUS Black 83 6.5 HYB
    Srixon Z U85 3-Iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour, 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Vokey SM6, 50 Degree
    Vokey SM7, 58 Degree
    Bettinardi BB32, SuperStroke 2.0
  • bladehunterbladehunter Rain rain go the hell away ! south carolinaMembers Posts: 26,643 ✭✭

@arbeck said:

@gators78 said:
    I just don't understand the idea of a full set of distance irons, over the long run there has to be too much variability.

There are a lot of people who struggle with distance. My wife for instance probably swings her 7i in the 60MPH hour range. She needs the hottest faces and the lowest CG possible to get the ball out there. For the average guy on WRX, who's swinging a 7i 80+, distance irons probably aren't needed. But as you age and your swing speed slows having that help is going to be nice. Things like the i500 are for the person who is used to playing a blade or a players CB and needs the extra height and distance.

Little known fact about the i500 though. It has a vertical COG higher than most blades. Which is why most find it so hard to hit. Or why they say it “ feels terrible “. It doesn’t from the middle. But. The middle is hard to find because of the cog and sole.

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-pw  Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • ForeleftForeleft Members Posts: 2,108 ✭✭

Wait until people get their hands on the Blueprints. Could be all the above in a far less forgiving package.

• IamMarkMacIamMarkMac SF Bay AreaMembers Posts: 702 ✭✭

@bladehunter said:

@arbeck said:

@gators78 said:
    I just don't understand the idea of a full set of distance irons, over the long run there has to be too much variability.

There are a lot of people who struggle with distance. My wife for instance probably swings her 7i in the 60MPH hour range. She needs the hottest faces and the lowest CG possible to get the ball out there. For the average guy on WRX, who's swinging a 7i 80+, distance irons probably aren't needed. But as you age and your swing speed slows having that help is going to be nice. Things like the i500 are for the person who is used to playing a blade or a players CB and needs the extra height and distance.

Little known fact about the i500 though. It has a vertical COG higher than most blades. Which is why most find it so hard to hit. Or why they say it “ feels terrible “. It doesn’t from the middle. But. The middle is hard to find because of the cog and sole.

Does indoor testing hide the effects of VCOG? Even on these forums, lots of people seem to do well with it on the launch monitor but no so much outdoors.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
    Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
    Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
    Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
    Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • jwb10jwb10 Major Winner MarsMembers Posts: 939 ✭✭

VCOG,,explain ?

• bladehunterbladehunter Rain rain go the hell away ! south carolinaMembers Posts: 26,643 ✭✭
    edited May 17, 2019 2:27am #38

@jwb10 said:
    VCOG,,explain ?

Layman’s terms is that the vertical center of gravity is slightly higher on the face than alot of irons. For a pure strike you need to get the center of gravity to or under the equator of the ball at impact. The higher it is on the iron the harder of is to do. Takes a Near perfect descending blow to launch the ball. Relatively speaking of course , and comparing to other irons which have the vcog very low on the face. I’ll find the thread that explains this best and post in a sec.

Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 

@Foreleft said:
    Wait until people get their hands on the Blueprints. Could be all the above in a far less forgiving package.

Here’s the thing. It will be opposite. The blueprint has all its weight down low. So will be easy , peasy to launch. Just slightly less forgiving toeside. It’s a dance between weight moved high and toe , vs weight left down low.

Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 
  • howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members Posts: 750 ✭✭

@jwb10 said:
    VCOG,,explain ?

Vertical center of gravity. A low VCOG gives more margin for error in achieving a fairly solid strike even when you hit it a little thin. A higher VCOG requires a descending blow/bottom of the swing in front of the ball in order to put the impact higher on the face and deliver the desired feel and flight.

edited May 17, 2019 2:36am #41

@IamMarkMac Read this thread tip to tail . It’s full of smarter folks than me explaining a lot.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/18672826#Comment_18672826

Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,321 ✭✭

I tested the I500's yesterday again and they didn't even come close the the G410's. Man, when they first hit the streets I wanted them so bad.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black

Thank you, I like learning stuff. Very interesting, and it does seem to match up with my issues.....

I went from 1978 Staff Tour Blades to Eye 2s. i have been using ping since. I like a little bit of offset. That has been one of the reasons
    haven't loved the 500s

@bladehunter said:
    @IamMarkMac Read this thread tip to tail . It’s full of smarter folks than me explaining a lot.

Interesting. So it does seem plausible then that certain mats make the ball sit up (which is often what I see at a store) which promotes a higher face strike, which then works in favor of the i500. If that ends up true, mystery solved on why the i500 is a launch monitor monster.

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
    Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

@IamMarkMac said:

@bladehunter said:

Interesting. So it does seem plausible then that certain mats make the ball sit up (which is often what I see at a store) which promotes a higher face strike, which then works in favor of the i500. If that ends up true, mystery solved on why the i500 is a launch monitor monster.

I played them all winter.

They are also very good muddy weather clubs. You can get a cleaner strike when the ground is soft is what I’m saying. Now that it’s hard. Well. It’s hard. Lol. Which is why I couldn’t stay with them. I’d bet anything that ping fixes that the next generation.

Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 
  • WarEagleGolfWarEagleGolf Members Posts: 308 ✭✭
    edited May 18, 2019 3:42am #48

@bladehunter said:

@jwb10 said:
    VCOG,,explain ?

Layman’s terms is that the vertical center of gravity is slightly higher on the face than alot of irons. For a pure strike you need to get the center of gravity to or under the equator of the ball at impact. The higher it is on the iron the harder of is to do. Takes a Near perfect descending blow to launch the ball. Relatively speaking of course , and comparing to other irons which have the vcog very low on the face. I’ll find the thread that explains this best and post in a sec.

Honestly, the above seems highly plausible to me. You really have to ease into the swing, hit the middle and the ball just flies. I hit down on the ball. Very down, big divots. I love these irons. It's heating up, I'm getting used to them and distance is increasing. Hard greens still give me a little trouble, little much rollout on the longer irons. 8 and below, you can stop them pretty good. Cut through wind, and I find helping winds they can really ride as they go so high. Controllable, high, low, right left.

I even hit a few things tonight and they just rolled up to the same distance. When you hit it pure, they are just amazeballs. Heavy thud.

PING G400 LST Fujikura XLR8 51 9.0*
    PING G400 Fujikura XLR8 61 16.5*
    PING i500 3-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110g
    Edel 52*/46* TRP C-Taper Lite 110g
    Edel 58* DVR C-Taper Lite 110g
    PING Vault Anser2
  • JDMRN81JDMRN81 PAMembers Posts: 450 ✭✭
    edited May 18, 2019 12:45pm #49

@WarEagleGolf said:

@bladehunter said:

@jwb10 said:
    VCOG,,explain ?

Honestly, the above seems highly plausible to me. You really have to ease into the swing, hit the middle and the ball just flies. I hit down on the ball. Very down, big divots. I love these irons. It's heating up, I'm getting used to them and distance is increasing. Hard greens still give me a little trouble, little much rollout on the longer irons. 8 and below, you can stop them pretty good. Cut through wind, and I find helping winds they can really ride as they go so high. Controllable, high, low, right left.

I even hit a few things tonight and they just rolled up to the same distance. When you hit it pure, they are just amazeballs. Heavy thud.

My experience is similar and I'm a picker who takes very little of a divot. Tend to hit the ball slightly lower on the head and towards the toe. Have no issues getting the ball in the air with LZ shafts. I agree with the longer irons getting a little too much rollout but I'm fine with that. While still in the infancy with these irons, I'm very impressed so far and I've been through a number of irons in the past few years (z565's, 919 HM's, 919 forged, CF16's, Steelheads, G30's, DBM's, PXG 0311's, MP-66's)

Post edited by JDMRN81 on
    Ping G400 Max 9* AD TP-6
    Ping G400 Stretch 3w AD IZ-7
    Ping i500 3-GW Project X LZ 6.0
    Ping Glide Forged 54*/58* Project X LZ 6.0
    Toulon Columbus 34" CG custom matte black/blue
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes

Now I’m getting more confused. I hit them better today by trying to stay down longer

@jwb10 said:
    Now I’m getting more confused. I hit them better today by trying to stay down longer

I feel that I hit any iron better whenever I stay down longer.

• StonewalledStonewalled Members Posts: 1,514 ✭✭

Well the loathing was short lived. Went out this evening to hit a few balls with the i500's. Kinda cool out 54 degrees with a steady 23 mph wind. I usually struggle playing in the wind, but I was having decent results flighting the ball into the wind and was not having any distance varations down wind. The course was empty so I could hit multiple balls and was impressed with the distance consistency. I was having issues with the short irons last time out but tonight I couldn't have been happier with the entire set. Nice to see some lower handicappers happy playing the i500's, keeps chopper's like myself wanting to keep hitting them. Our conditions are pretty lush at the moment so hardpan is not an issue. I am still amazed every year that the Fn snow melts and this green stuff comes out of the ground, after a long winter it's a welcome sight.

i still feel like Hamlet "to sell or not to sell." The clanks are too much

• Twin2LTwin2L Members Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited May 20, 2019 2:43am #54

I've been on the fence with these for about a month. I loved them in the cold wet windy Louisiana winter, but struggled when things began to warm up. I realized my swing has gotten off track. This weekend I played the i500's Saturday and my forged cavity backs today. Although I hit the ball mid high with the forged CB's, I really like the higher but penetrating trajectory with the i500's. Although they play a club longer by the number on the bottom, loft for loft they're pretty close. With a semi-steep swing, I think for me, the challenging difference is the shafts. The DG105 S300 is more tip stiff than the shaft I've been playing for the past 5+ years and as a result I find I don't feel the release at the bottom and screw up my timing. A shaft change may be in the future. The jury is still out, but I'm loving the ball flight and control.

Post edited by Twin2L on
    It matters not what others call you. Only what you answer to defines who you are.
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Members Posts: 572 ✭✭

I’m still enjoying my i500's and I bought them soon after release. They are terrible when hit (very) thin but I don’t mind. My tendency is to get too shallow and picky and the i500’s don’t let me get away with that.

• NDGolfer13NDGolfer13 Members Posts: 1,217 ✭✭

I liked them but just sold them as I built some Miura cb2008 and they feel fantastic and are pretty forgiving. I could have played them as the results were great they just didn’t feel great when the sweet spot wasn’t hit. I’d have no problem going back to them. They do look great.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Tensei Pro Orange
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Lowest Setting Tour AD BB 70X
    Srixon F65 5 Wood
    Rogue 2H Proforce V2 (new one)
    Ping G410 Steel Fiber i95 stiff 5-SW/Callaway XForged 19 PX 6.0 3-P
    James Patrick 54/58 or Ping Glide 2.0 50/56/60
    Cameron Newport Flowneck Rebar

FOR NOW...........
    All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......
  • J-TizzleJ-Tizzle Hello Members Posts: 3,400 ✭✭

I've only played a few rounds with mine and i'm a big fan so far. Tried the Cobra SL and the trial about ruined my swing, so I'm hardly counting those.

So I'm really coming from some G25 with C-Tapers (i500 with LZ) and they're basically the same club in a sexier package from what I can tell so far. They're every bit as long as the SGI G25s and equally forgiving from what I can tell. Still working the swing back into order after the SL abortion, but I feel the confidence building with the i500s.

G400 8.5* - G400 14.5* - Baffler 19.5* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Gorge Stealth 56* (@55*), 60* - BG F22

Demo day today. Ping guy has I-210s. They look better, feel better and I ask him will Ping trade me straight up for the I-500s. Poor guy, says "you have to ask your pro." Next stop, pro shop ....

• ChrisLC40ChrisLC40 Rochester, NYMembers Posts: 63 ✭✭

I tried the i500's a couple weeks back at an outdoor demo event and struggled with them. For me they were difficult to launch, distance and dispersion were all over the place and good strikes were rare. For kicks I tried the i210 and wow. Easy to hit, felt great, and very consistent. Ended up getting a proper fitting and my 4-W set arrived this past Monday. Tonight is their first outing to the course for league.

Cleveland HB Launcher 10.5
    Cobra F8 3W 16
    Ping G400 4H
    Ping i210 4-W
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 60
    Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT #1
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 408 ✭✭

I still have my i500's but I've moved on. I was inconsistent with them and I'm sure it was just me, but today I played the Srixon Z585 and my consistency was over the top. First time I've played them and I was very impressed. Just felt like butter.

• philsRHmanphilsRHman Members Posts: 1,289 ✭✭

So much of this thread is resonating. Last year I went to CC with the intent of getting fit, and wanted to add some distance as I was coming off a severe arm injury (for context I was splitting time between Adams CMBs and Ping i25). I remember being the first to hit the demo i500 they had and my god, it was like the angels singing from the heavens. The numbers were longer, higher, straighter and they felt great. I didn't pull the trigger, but planned to buy them directly from Ping. My home pro had a demo iron and I took it out to see it in real life, and no matter which shaft I tried, I couldn't repeat the feel or performance of my fitting. Eventually I grabbed his Mizuno JPX900 Forged and Tour demos and it was like the angels were signing from the heavens again. But this time I was able to zero in on the right shaft and decided on the Forged and I'm so glad for it. I've been hitting my irons better than I have in many years, and I not only have my length back, I'm at least 1 or 1.5 clubs longer.