I-500s; after using them for a while, anybody else loathe them ?

124»

Comments

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,898 ✭✭
    edited Jun 12, 2019 12:33am #92

I find the I500 completely unplayable as a set. Sure you could throw the 3 or 4 iron in the bag as a driving irons of sorts. As a set? no way. The ball goes way to far, and they are super jumpy. Meaning that if you try to hit a shot, knock one down, hit a 3/4 8 iron or something like that the ball just flies off the face. It is extremely difficult to judge and maintain distance control with them.

Post edited by QuigleyDU on
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Directed Force 2.1
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • MaxBuckMaxBuck Members Posts: 375 ✭✭

The more I play them, the better I like them ... but I still don't like 'em much.

• buntabunta Members Posts: 604 ✭✭

i500 made me change my swing. i then realized I hated the new swing adjustments. so i dropped them.

TS3 9.5
    s55 4-PW
    SM7 50/54/58
    2Ball
  • kcd38kcd38 Members Posts: 341 ✭✭

@bunta said:
    i500 made me change my swing. i then realized I hated the new swing adjustments. so i dropped them.

THIS! If you have to adjust your swing for a set of irons, those irons are not for you!

Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
    3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, AD Di 6s
    Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tour AD DI 95x Hybrid 
    4-UW - Ping i210 DG 120 S300
    Wedges - Vokey SM7 52 F, 56 F, 60 D 
    Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭

One thread theme: possibly i500 was put into wrong marketing niche.

At a smaller local golf shop, two sets of i500 irons stacked on top of each other on the used club rack. One set had AWT 2.0 R-flex, the other NS Pro Modus.3 Tour 120 in S.flex.

What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,898 ✭✭

No need to lock it. Peoples opinions vary and that is ok. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. That’s what makes the wrx world go round. Not everyone likes the same thing. No politics or religion talk. It’s all good.

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Directed Force 2.1
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • WarEagleGolfWarEagleGolf Members Posts: 308 ✭✭

Still liking them. I actually find them easy to shape, easy to hit, and distance controllable.

They do require a good solid swing. Everyone i play with is a pretty good stick and all of them have hit my clubs once or twice. And they all hit pretty good. My swing is sucking recently and the distance control, left right, etc., is nasty. I can see how people that don't hit the "middle" mostly.would hate these, or maybe a sweeper could struggle. I have wear marks in the center and still love them.

Shot my two lowest scores ever with them(same course, different tees) , and was ball striking like a fiend.

I still get alot of pin high hits, albeit with a ridiculous "number" in my hand. I also like the feel, almost typical ping honestly. Not too different from my S55, a little harsher, sure. But a pure strike has a nice solid feel.

Still tempted by the blue prints though. I am in between wanting forgiveness and extra distance and wanting a true players club. Probably wouldn't see much difference in score. Would likely keep 3-4i in the bag of i500. They are bombers.

PING G400 LST Fujikura XLR8 51 9.0*
    PING G400 Fujikura XLR8 61 16.5*
    PING i500 3-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110g
    Edel 52*/46* TRP C-Taper Lite 110g
    Edel 58* DVR C-Taper Lite 110g
    PING Vault Anser2
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,321 ✭✭

I haven't visited this thread for quite a while. Doesn't look like I missed a whole lot.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • supdawgiesupdawgie Members Posts: 64 ✭✭

The i500’s look nice, but sound horrible. Much better options out there.

• Twin2LTwin2L Members Posts: 85 ✭✭

I frankly think the discussion of volume and tone are overstated when hitting outdoors. On indoor facilities I can see where this is significant, but on the courses I play (exclusively out doors), the sound of an i500 struck does not stifle, stun or frighten into silence most creatures found in nature.

Of course, your mileage may vary. 😬

It matters not what others call you. Only what you answer to defines who you are.
    edited Jun 12, 2019 5:30pm #103

@Twin2L said:
    I frankly think the discussion of volume and tone are overstated when hitting outdoors. On indoor facilities I can see where this is significant, but on the courses I play (exclusively out doors), the sound of an i500 struck does not stifle, stun or frighten into silence most creatures found in nature.

Thats true. But on mishits it stifles, stuns and frightens myself ,that i want to go hide with the creatures found in nature.

TS3 9.5
    s55 4-PW
    SM7 50/54/58
    2Ball
  • jwb10jwb10 Major Winner MarsMembers Posts: 939 ✭✭

@lawsonman said:
    I haven't visited this thread for quite a while. Doesn't look like I missed a whole lot.

You did miss a lot; luckily, it's gone and we're talking about golf clubs again.

• QwiklapQwiklap An aspiring hacker ... Members Posts: 591 ✭✭

I built a set using KBS TGI 100s soft stepped once and i500 power spec. I like them a lot. I have shot some of my best golf ever with them. Do they feel as amazing as my Srixon Z565s ... no. Do they sound awful and super clicky (at least when I am practicing indoors), yes. But do they get the ball up and penetrating -- and are they very forgiving -- yes and yes.

I will keep my set!

Cobra F9 9* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Orange V2 60TX (44.5")
    Ping G400 3W Stretch @ 12.4* w/ Ping Tour 75X (43")
    Cobra F8+ 4-5W @ 16* w/ Stock NV Green S-flex (42")
    Cobra F7 2-3h @ 19* w/ VA Composites Raijin 84 hybrid four
    Srixon U65 23* w/ Matrix Black Tie HM3 Stiff
    Srixon Z565 6-PW & Z765 AW w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 S-flex
    Callaway MD PM-Grind 56* & 60*
    Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2 Arm Lock
  • torbilltorbill Members Posts: 310 ✭✭

@Twin2L said:

Right. And, any difference in sound is nothing compared to what the traditionalists heard when technology began to infringe on the pure-sounding world of persimmon drivers. "Stop the world, I want to get off so that I can keep hearing the music of my persimmon driver."

When I hit these irons high and long and see the ball stop ten feet from the pin it’s pure music to my ears.

@bunta said:

@Twin2L said:

Thats true. But on mishits it stifles, stuns and frightens myself ,that i want to go hide with the creatures found in nature.

I'm a-scared

• ethanshapiroethanshapiro grinder Members Posts: 618 ✭✭

Kind of a shame. I've never been much of a Ping guy and these heads looked really good. I was intrigued until I hit about 5-10 balls with them. Just a baffling experience. Strikes that really should have felt pure felt similar to toeing a 100 yard wedge out of the rough. Maybe I didn't give them a fair shot, but I was really turned off pretty quickly, or at least enough to know that I wasn't gonna buy them.

TaylorMade M5 9.0 Tensei CK 65g S
    Callaway Rogue 15' Rexis 65g S
    Titleist 818 H2 20' Fujikura Atmos 85g S
    PXG 0311X Accra 80i M4
    Titleist 716 CB KBS Tour 90S 5-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 50F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 54M
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 60L
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2014
  • newyorkernewyorker Members Posts: 311 ✭✭
    edited Jun 13, 2019 1:18pm #109

I hit these on GC2 with my pro the other night and they felt amazing (in the Project X LZ shaft). Launch and spin was pretty much identical to the P790 but I much preferred the feel of the i500. I'm really contemplating pulling the trigger.

• jlyjly Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

@newyorker said:
    I hit these on GC2 with my pro the other night and they felt amazing (in the Project X LZ shaft). Launch and spin was pretty much identical to the P790 but I much preferred the feel of the i500. I'm really contemplating pulling the trigger.

I have the PX LZ 6.0 in mine and love them. Great flight and I find them to be consistent on center strikes, which is about as much as I can ask for from a club.

• newyorkernewyorker Members Posts: 311 ✭✭

Just out of interest, all the guys complaining or marking down the feel, are you comparing to a full forged iron or a similar club (P790)?

@newyorker said:
    Just out of interest, all the guys complaining or marking down the feel, are you comparing to a full forged iron or a similar club (P790)?

I-210s or anything not hollow, tinny and w/o a sweetspot

• MaxBuckMaxBuck Members Posts: 375 ✭✭

@newyorker said:

Apex 2014s

• J-TizzleJ-Tizzle Hello Members Posts: 3,400 ✭✭

Played a bunch this weekend. Loving the irons still (PX LZ 6.0). The first course played like garbage in my opinion (I'm talking 30+ ft of roll out on a wedge from the fairway), but it did it with everything from everywhere, so I'm assuming the clubs were not at fault. Played on Sunday at another course, first hole, flagged a 8i from 170 and it rolled all of 2ft, so I'm guessing it was the course and not the clubs.

I'd really recommend these to anyone that is wanting GI/SGI forgiveness and distance in a players shaped club. Coming from the G25's these feel great, look great, and perform great (and I played the G25s for about 5 years, so its not that I didn't like them). I feel the shaft choice makes a big difference on these irons. If I went with something really boardy I think I'd hate them, but the LZ have enough life in them I've been really impressed. Plus, free upgrade from Ping.

G400 8.5* - G400 14.5* - Baffler 19.5* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Gorge Stealth 56* (@55*), 60* - BG F22

@J-Tizzle said:
    Played a bunch this weekend. Loving the irons still (PX LZ 6.0). The first course played like garbage in my opinion (I'm talking 30+ ft of roll out on a wedge from the fairway), but it did it with everything from everywhere, so I'm assuming the clubs were not at fault. Played on Sunday at another course, first hole, flagged a 8i from 170 and it rolled all of 2ft, so I'm guessing it was the course and not the clubs.

I'd really recommend these to anyone that is wanting GI/SGI forgiveness and distance in a players shaped club. Coming from the G25's these feel great, look great, and perform great (and I played the G25s for about 5 years, so its not that I didn't like them). I feel the shaft choice makes a big difference on these irons. If I went with something really boardy I think I'd hate them, but the LZ have enough life in them I've been really impressed. Plus, free upgrade from Ping.

Good for you. To get anything out of the 500s shows you have game !

edited Jun 18, 2019 1:33am #116

i left my usual set in my car. Had an impromptu round with my mom other day, figured i take the i500 for a spin. -- Nope, still hate them.

funny thing is i just played a round yesterday, and i was striking my s55 awesome, so i know theres nothing wrong with my swing.

TS3 9.5
    s55 4-PW
    SM7 50/54/58
    2Ball
    edited Jun 18, 2019 2:23am #117

@bunta said:
    i left my usual set in my car. Had an impromptu round with my mom other day, figured i take the i500 for a spin. -- Nope, still hate them.

funny thing is i just played a round yesterday, and i was striking my s55 awesome, so i know theres nothing wrong with my swing.

You need to change your swing before you'll know ??

• StonewalledStonewalled Members Posts: 1,514 ✭✭

Guess I loathed them enough to sell em. Went on a guy's weekend 36 a day for 3 days, proceeded to hit only a handful of quality shots. I had decent success at my home course but these didn't travel well for me. These were 1 degree up and I have recently discovered I should be 1 degree flat. I was thinking about sending them to Ping for adjustment but figured since I recently acquired a set of i210's in my new found specs I would just use them. [Numerous sessions over the years on the Lie board indicated I need 2 up] not so.
    Kinda disappointed this experiment didn't work out for me, loved the look of the i500's.