Titleist AVX- is it just me....

Comments

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,963 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The Pro V1x flies as high off the driver as any ball on the market.

Maybe Zstar XV would be lower? Or Chrome Soft X? Just guessing.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Fliers off the fairway ? Never seen that particular unicorn.

Fliers out of the rough ? What ball never does ?

The things we golfers can come up with,,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

"Flyer" is a misnomer. We're not talking the juicy rough flyer where my 110-yard PW comes out like a rocket and goes 140. But with my low clubhead speed, low-spin swing an AVX with spring-faced irons is pretty borderline on spin even from the fairway. In the range of 95mph ball speed and 5,000rpm with a 7-iron even small differences in spin result in several yards difference in distance.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • cj4501cj4501 Members Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clp34vmp said:
    In the same boat with a number of other posters on this thread - I loved the AVX when I first started using it late in the season last year. I really felt almost right away that the lower ball flight and lack of "ballooning" off the tee had me hitting more fairways. Who knows, maybe that was in my head, but I believed it and consequently have felt more confident standing on the tee with it in hand.

That being said, as time as gone by I feel like the performance closer to the green has been hurting a little bit. And then, a couple of days ago, I caught one of the dreaded mega-flyers that have been mentioned in this thread a bunch of times. I was hitting an 8-iron from out of the rough and was semi-blocked out by some trees. I told myself to put a nice easy swing on it, and if it came up short then that wouldn't be a bad miss. Well, I caught it flush, and I don't think I've ever seen a shot of mine sail like that in my life. I airmailed the green by at least 20 yards. My 8-iron is my 140-145 club, and I calculated this one flew at least 175 yds on the fly. I must have had a stunned look on my face as I watched it sail into some bushes OB behind the green.

This last incident had me want to go track down this thread to see if anyone who loves the AVX specifically for its low flight off the tee has been able to find another Urethane ball that performs similarly off the tee but gives better close-in performance? It sounds like the '19 ProV1 would be Titleist's next best option, and I haven't given that a try yet but will do so for sure. How about from other manufacturers? What's the ball flight like on this year's Z Star?

For me I thought xv and avx flew pretty close, haven't hit the z star. Z star xv spins more for me fo sho.

• bodhi555bodhi555 Members Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@North Butte said:
    "Flyer" is a misnomer. We're not talking the juicy rough flyer where my 110-yard PW comes out like a rocket and goes 140. But with my low clubhead speed, low-spin swing an AVX with spring-faced irons is pretty borderline on spin even from the fairway. In the range of 95mph ball speed and 5,000rpm with a 7-iron even small differences in spin result in several yards difference in distance.

I've seen it happen with my blades as well. I've always assumed it because I tend to lose a little distance due to the spin I put on the ball, and the low spin nature of the AVX occasionally puts that distance back on, and I airmail the green. That and inconsistent green side spin means I've gone back to the RZN Tour Platinum / Tour B XS as they behave themselves properly.

I actually prefer the Tour Soft over the AVX now. More consistent, better feel, and the fact it's rained for 3 weeks constantly in the UK means they stop pretty quickly round the greens. I will move away when the courses dry out, but for current conditions, the Tour Soft is performing well. Kind of like a modern PTS Wound, which I used to play back in the day when no-one could afford to use a Tour Balata for the 3 holes before it went out of shape.

The Dee Three: Titleist 917 D3 9.5 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 65X
    The Stenson: Titleist 917 F3 15 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 75X
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

• JDFishJDFish Pickerington, OhioMembers Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nsxguy said:
    Fliers off the fairway ? Never seen that particular unicorn.

Fliers out of the rough ? What ball never does ?

The things we golfers can come up with,,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL

My thoughts also.
    I've played the AVX since it was released and I find it to be great on courses with soft/er greens. It hits and stops. The ProV would spin back, which was problematic on the courses I play (mostly Donald Ross designs with back to front tilt). I'll keep the ProVs around for if/when it every stops raining and the courses firm up, but for now I'm sticking with AVX.

Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
    Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
    Callaway XR 5 wood/Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
    Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
    Evnroll ER5 32"
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

From my observation, avx is like ike VW. Either you love or hate. I have hard time controlling avx near and on green. Otherwise, it is fine ball

WWG1 WGA
  • lazyjc4lazyjc4 Members Posts: 870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll gladly take all extras that anyone does not want anymore. I've got a dozen new ProV1's and two dozen '17 Z-Star's to trade. This ball seems about perfect for me, completely benched all others.

Srixon Z565 8.5 Attas Elements Prototype
    TM GAPR Hi 17.5* Speeder Tourspec HB 9.8 
    TM GAPR Mid 19* KBS Hybrid 
    Hogan PTx 21*, 25*,29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45* S300
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*, 58* S200
    Bettinardi B55 Counterbalanced 38"
    Titleist AVX or Srixon Z-Star
  • GolfSRQGolfSRQ Members Posts: 65 ✭✭

My son used the avx last year for awhile as he was growing. Driver swing speed 95-102. The ball allowed him to keep up with the bigger kids. He would get low penetrating drives that would roll out a lot. After his swing speed went over 105 switched to prov1 for better spin around the greens.
    Our pro is with titleist and is close friends with one of their tour reps. He told us that avx is a distance ball with a urethane cover.

• 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I never understood why the did not call it the Pro V1A

• PulledabillPulledabill Members Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭

I fell in love with the AVX late last summer. I was pretty much only playing my home course where the greens can be hard and fast but not crazy. I was loving the extra roll out, the extra distance, and what I would call amazing feel. BUT...I started playing some tournies and different courses where the greens were very hard and very fast and the AVX didn't cut it. It was costing me strokes due the not holding and rolling out too much. Too bad I went out and bought 3 dozen of them.
    I was on the AVX wagon hard, but have since bailed.

• craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Been playing the AVX since it came out, I have no issues with spin and lack of control, no fliers.
    I’m still super happy with it the only reason I would change is for the sake of changing and just to try something different

Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    3 wood = Ping G410 Tour S
    Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • HidekiWoodsHidekiWoods Members Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭

@craz-e said:
    Been playing the AVX since it came out, I have no issues with spin and lack of control, no fliers.
    I’m still super happy with it the only reason I would change is for the sake of changing and just to try something different

Agree. I already hit it high and with a little too much spin. I believe avx brings me back into the proper spin window. Probably on the lower end, but the height it comes in at allows it to land softly.

Epic SZ
    Apex Hybrid
    Srixon Z965
    MD Wedges

Night and Day Proto

@HidekiWoods said:

@craz-e said:

Agree. I already hit it high and with a little too much spin. I believe avx brings me back into the proper spin window. Probably on the lower end, but the height it comes in at allows it to land softly.

I think I'm on the other side of that window. I'm generally not far from too low and too little spin.

When the AVX was working great for me a year and a half or so ago, I was in a mode of basically trying to hit all my irons as high as far as I could. And AVX helped with that, it's got a bit more distance potential than most balls. This year I've dialed back my iron swing from 110% to something more in control. Got tired of having a two-way miss (high floating push-fade on one hole, huge pull-hook on the next) and decided hitting my 8-iron 135 yards and straight beats hitting it 145 with no idea where it will end up.

That's when I fell out of love with AVX. I think my "window" swinging really hard suits the AVX but my normal swing just doesn't get the height or spin necessary.

Today I had one reminder that I was back to Pro V1x. Pretty routine full SW shot to a hole near the front of the green. I guess I forgot that green plays really firm and tilts to the left. The ball was headed right for the flag, hit about 10 feet short and spun back and left leaving me putting from nearly 20 feet. Pretty sure an AVX would have landed 10 feet from the hole and either stopped on the spot or trickled left a foot or two at most.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • ChrisGio315ChrisGio315 Members Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

Still play the AVX and have no desire to switch. Fits my game very well. It would be a shame if they decided to discontinue it for 2020.

Titleist TS2 (10.5*)
    Titleist TS2 3w (15*)
    Titleist TS2 5w (18*)
    Titleist 718 AP1
    Titelist SM7 56*
    Custom Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist AVX

WITB - http://www.golfwrx.c...tb-chrisgio315/
  • DREWZER300DREWZER300 Members Posts: 74 ✭✭

I absolutely love the AVX. I have seen no issues with fliers or lack of spin. I also have been playing in some of the firmest conditions I have seen here in Cincinnati that I can remember. I believe its only rained twice in the last 6 weeks. I have always been a high ball/high spin player so the AVX dials that down a little. I was still spinning 7 iron at 6700 rpms last month when I was fit for my new 919 HMP.

Taylormade M5 Project X Smoke 6.0
    Taylormade M4 3W Graphite Design AD-IZ 7X
    Taylormade M4 3H KBS Tour Prototype 95X
    Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4-PW KBS C-Taper 130 X
    Titleist Vokey Wedges 48-F/54-M/60-D 
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Taylormade TP5x

• zebra2955zebra2955 Members Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the AVX, I don't like the price.

Cobra F7

Callaway Epic

Cobra F6 fairway woods

Cobra F6 hybrids, 3-4 and 4-5

Cobra F6 irons 6i -PW, GW

Harry Taylor 54* and 58* wedges

Odyssey "O" Works 2 ball, Super Stroke mid slim 2.0 grip

What ever ball Costco has LOL
  • MrShieldMrShield SwedenMembers Posts: 265 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 17, 2019 6:00pm #79

Played a round with AVX today. Man I love this ball. Long irons, short irons, wedges, chipping, putting - everything is world class for a high spin player like me. BUT it’s absolutely horrible for driving, way too soft and is at least 10-15 yards shorter carry than 2019 Pro V1. The total run out (because of lower spin) makes it only about 5 yards difference in total, but there are bunkers on my home course that is absolutely impossible to carry with AVX.

I really hope Titleist address this in a coming release, I love everything else about AVX. Especially the drop and stop on the green compared to 5 meters of uncontrollable backspin with V1.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Hzrdus Smoke 60 6.0
    Titleist TS2 16.5* Hzrdus Smoke 70 6.0
    Titleist 818 H1 21* Tour AD DI 105s
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3-iron Tour AD Driving Iron 95s
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4-iron Dynamic Gold AMT White Tour s400
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-P Dynamic Gold AMT White Tour s400
    Titleist SM6 52:08 F-grind Dynamic Gold AMT White Tour s400
    Titleist SM6 58:10 V-grind Dynamic Gold AMT White Tour s400
    Odyssey 7 White Hot Pro 34" SuperStroke GTR Tour
    Titleist Pro V1 2019
  • LHGolf4LHGolf4 Lefty Boomers Posts: 457 ✭✭✭✭

I played with an AVX today and I really enjoyed it. Brought my spin down and hit some longer drives. I have several dozen Srixon Z Stars I need to get rid of now.

• From_Parts_UnknownFrom_Parts_Unknown Members Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MrShield said:
    Played a round with AVX today. Man I love this ball. Long irons, short irons, wedges, chipping, putting - everything is world class for a high spin player like me. BUT it’s absolutely horrible for driving, way too soft and is at least 10-15 yards shorter carry than 2019 Pro V1. The total run out (because of lower spin) makes it only about 5 yards difference in total, but there are bunkers on my home course that is absolutely impossible to carry with AVX.

I really hope Titleist address this in a coming release, I love everything else about AVX. Especially the drop and stop on the green compared to 5 meters of uncontrollable backspin with V1.

It will be a completely different ball, but you might like the new Left Dash Pro V1 that's coming out in about 6 weeks. It's been a tour only ball until now. Several players have switched to it on tour since it's release a few years ago. Think of it as a firmer AVX with a Pro V1 urethane cover. It's got more layers than the AVX too.

• cj4501cj4501 Members Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LHGolf4 said:
    I played with an AVX today and I really enjoyed it. Brought my spin down and hit some longer drives. I have several dozen Srixon Z Stars I need to get rid of now.

Xv?

• trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 19, 2019 9:22pm #83

@From_Parts_Unknown said:

@MrShield said:

It's got more layers than the AVX too.

AVX and Pro V1 both have 3 layers. I doubt the ball you speak of will have more layers because if it does it is not a Pro V1...

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • LHGolf4LHGolf4 Lefty Boomers Posts: 457 ✭✭✭✭

@cj4501 said:

@LHGolf4 said:

Xv?

Only one dozen yellow XV, I have 6 dozen white regular Z Stars and another 2 dozen yellow Z Stars.

• MrShieldMrShield SwedenMembers Posts: 265 ✭✭✭✭

@MrShield said:

It will be a completely different ball, but you might like the new Left Dash Pro V1 that's coming out in about 6 weeks. It's been a tour only ball until now. Several players have switched to it on tour since it's release a few years ago. Think of it as a firmer AVX with a Pro V1 urethane cover. It's got more layers than the AVX too.

Sounds too good to be true! :smile:

Titleist TS3 9.5* Hzrdus Smoke 60 6.0
    Titleist TS2 16.5* Hzrdus Smoke 70 6.0
    Titleist 818 H1 21* Tour AD DI 105s
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3-iron Tour AD Driving Iron 95s
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4-iron Dynamic Gold AMT White Tour s400
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-P Dynamic Gold AMT White Tour s400
    Titleist SM6 52:08 F-grind Dynamic Gold AMT White Tour s400
    Titleist SM6 58:10 V-grind Dynamic Gold AMT White Tour s400
    Odyssey 7 White Hot Pro 34" SuperStroke GTR Tour
    Titleist Pro V1 2019
  • JD3JD3 Members Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MrShield said:

@MrShield said:

What am I missing? AVX is urethane already. Sincerely hope they don't change it. Love that ball.

TM M1 2017 10.5 Tensei CK Orange 60x
    TM M1 2016 3W HL Tensei CK White 70x 
    Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
    Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
    Yururi Tataki Wedges 52.5 and 60.5 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0x
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
    ProV1x
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
    Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JD3 said:

@MrShield said:

@MrShield said:

What am I missing? AVX is urethane already. Sincerely hope they don't change it. Love that ball.

AVX has a different urethane than the Pro V1 models, including the tour only balls.

• trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 22, 2019 3:42am #88

@Llortamaisey said:

@JD3 said:

@MrShield said:

@MrShield said:

AVX has a different urethane than the Pro V1 models, including the tour only balls.

I found this blurb:

It (AVX) is still a three piece ball, but unlike most other soft balls in the market it uses a similar cast urethane cover to the Pro V1 called GRN41. Basically the ingredients are the same but the formulation is slightly different.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • McgeenoMcgeeno Members Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I just posted similar in a different thread.

Low cap high swing speed guy who alternated AVX and Pro V1 all week. Both are excellent. I play yellow so love having some new options on the 'premium' end.

I do love this ball. Its long, soft and has just enough spin around the green to make it solid. I find it roughly a club longer tee to green. Just my opinion. Maybe it suits my swing the best who knows.

I really, really like not having to take a bunch more clubs into a strong wind. Rock solid ball I would not hesitate to play any day of the week.

• Albatross71Albatross71 Members Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

Low cap high swing guy who produces alot of spin, been playing the AVX for a while now. I agree with OP about the advertising, also hard to justify the price for a ball that for me and my swing is very similar to the Pro V1. Recently though I have switched over to the Mizuno RB Tour ball and have found it to be pretty amazing as well. Only issue I have with it is wedges tear it up and its basically done after 9 holes.

Driver-Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Project X Evenflow White 65 X-Stiff
    3W-Titleist TS3 16.5 w/Project X Evenflow white 65 X-Stiff
    Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi 3 iron w/KBS C-Taper 130X (bent to 17.5*)
    4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MBw/KBS C-Taper 130X
    Mizuno T7 52/09 w/KBS C-Taper 130X soft stepped
    Mizuno T7 56/10 w/KBS C-Taper 130X soft stepped
    Titleist AVX

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file