Original King Cobra Deep Face driver-stainless or Ti?

It was a stainless head correct? Anyone have any experience with it in either steel or graphite shaft and can comment?

Callaway Hyper X 9* what's the point?

Taylormade (original) RBZ 15* 3W

Cleveland Launcher 3W 15*

Synchron Vespa 19* hybrid

Orlimar 23* 7W

Dynacraft Prophet CB flexface 5i-PW

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

Orlimar putter

Comments

• gsea33gsea33 Members Posts: 684 ✭✭

Played one back when they came out. Graphite shaft don't rememberer details about the shaft. Thought it was a great club. Definitely long for the time and pretty straight.

Titleist 975D 10.5
    Titleist 975F 14.5
    Titleist 975F 20.5
    Ping Eye 2 2, 4-SW BECU
    Titleist Acushnet Bullseye

• MitchellMitchell Members Posts: 5,469 ✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019 5:09pm #3

Stainless head, played one for a long time with a reshafted rifle steel 6.5. The graphite shaft was not terrible either, just remember players looking for ones labeled with a gold outline of the flex designation as that denoted either a Harrison professional or Aldila HM40 shaft instead of the much higher torque standard offering.

Taylormade r510tp 10.5* Fuji Evo TS 661
    Taylormade 300 tour 15* Fuji TS 8.0
    Taylormade V Steel 18* Purple Ice 85
    TEE CNC Ltd. Forged 3-pw s400
    Artisan 53* s400
    Artisan 58* s400
    Cameron 1996 Laguna
  • dcopp7dcopp7 Members Posts: 955 ✭✭

Great, thanks! I am looking at adding one to the collection since El Tigre won with one.

Orlimar 23* 7W

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

Orlimar putter
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,277 ✭✭

A guy I knew had one when they first came out. I hit the damnedest rope hook you ever saw with it on top of it hitting a Top Flite Magna ball. It went out about 250 or so and had a wicked hook that bounded like the energizer bunny. When that poor ball hit the ground it must have ran sideways bounding 150 yards jumped the deep creek bounded in the bushes still cooking. Early graphite shafts were not stiff enough for my fast swing in those days. I think those things came out around 92 or 93

• BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,277 ✭✭

@Mitchell said:
    Stainless head, played one for a long time with a reshafted rifle steel 6.5. The graphite shaft was not terrible either, just remember players looking for ones labeled with a gold outline of the flex designation as that denoted either a Harrison professional or Aldila HM40 shaft instead of the much higher torque standard offering.

LOL back in those days I could rope hook a HM-55 which is in my beloved Penna. I rope hooked that thing several times. My famous rope hook with it was in a team event here at the beach around 94. 2nd hole at Beachwood I rope hooked it so bad it went OB over into Possum Trot which is the neighboring course and hit a unoccupied cart. My partner looked at me and said do not pull that thing out of the bag anymore use your 1 iron. No danger of that now I can barely get it back and through. In fact I have to push the issue a little bit with the HM-40 in a Penna that Randy gave me but I can still hit it

Yeah, I'd probably be looking for a steel shaft like Eldrick used.

Orlimar 23* 7W

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

Orlimar putter
  • WrigglesWriggles Members Posts: 3,195 ✭✭

I had a set of King Cobra offset titanium woods, foolishly bought at full price, back in 1998. Hardly ever played the 5 wood, gave to a BIL. The driver, I never could hit, probably the worst driver i ever bought. The 3W was a jewel, played it for years, until it looked so shabby, I tossed it, for a FT-iz replacement. The FT-iz is a great 3W.

Not an offset fan myself

Orlimar 23* 7W

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

Orlimar putter
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,270 ✭✭

@dcopp7 said:
    It was a stainless head correct? Anyone have any experience with it in either steel or graphite shaft and can comment?

Ironically, I was thinking about this recently. I like playing the older clubs, and the late 90s are when I started the game. Playing a 260cc or smaller driver gives me a sense of nostalgia. :)

There was a YouTube golf guy out there who compared the Cobra Deep Face to a modern driver. Think he used on course, and had launch monitor comparative data. He concluded the old driver was way shorter, but he didn't equalize for club length. A 2" longer driver being able to be swung faster, is supposed to produce more distance, that's hardly a conclusion. If one were to extrapolate his data, the differences are considerably less.

Since I already prefer shorter drivers, seems like something worth playing with. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear

I saw that video. I want to a guy make a vid with identical shafts and same length. Only old head vs modern head. That's a true test.

Orlimar 23* 7W

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

Orlimar putter