Original King Cobra Deep Face driver-stainless or Ti?

dcopp7 ·  
dcopp7dcopp7  1174WRX Points: 210Members Posts: 1,174 Platinum Tees

It was a stainless head correct? Anyone have any experience with it in either steel or graphite shaft and can comment?

Posted:
Cleveland Launcher 460 Titanium 10.5* driver

Cobra MAX 16.5* 3 wood

Cobra Bio Cell 19* hybrid

Dynacraft Prophet CB flexface 5i-PW

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

OLD Northwestern heel shaft putter

Comments

• gsea33gsea33  740WRX Points: 183Handicap: 9Members Posts: 740 Golden Tee

Played one back when they came out. Graphite shaft don't rememberer details about the shaft. Thought it was a great club. Definitely long for the time and pretty straight.

Posted:

Titleist 975D 10.5
    Titleist 975F 14.5
    Titleist 975F 20.5
    Ping Eye 2 2, 4-SW BECU
    Titleist Acushnet Bullseye

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MitchellMitchell  5623WRX Points: 456Members Posts: 5,623 Titanium Tees

Stainless head, played one for a long time with a reshafted rifle steel 6.5. The graphite shaft was not terrible either, just remember players looking for ones labeled with a gold outline of the flex designation as that denoted either a Harrison professional or Aldila HM40 shaft instead of the much higher torque standard offering.

Posted:
    Titleist 910d3 9.5* (d4 surefit) Motore Speeder TS 7.3
    Titleist 917f2 16.5* (c2 surefit) Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Titleist 818 h1 21* (c2 surefit) Atmos blue TS 8
    Titleist 962b 3-pw s400 
    Vokey sm7 raw M 54*  s400
    Vokey raw 260-08 C-C  60*  s400
    Cameron '95 Laguna
  • dcopp7dcopp7  1174WRX Points: 210Members Posts: 1,174 Platinum Tees

Great, thanks! I am looking at adding one to the collection since El Tigre won with one.

Posted:

Cobra MAX 16.5* 3 wood

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

• BIG STUBIG STU  12556WRX Points: 3,170Handicap: 5.0Members Posts: 12,556 Titanium Tees

A guy I knew had one when they first came out. I hit the damnedest rope hook you ever saw with it on top of it hitting a Top Flite Magna ball. It went out about 250 or so and had a wicked hook that bounded like the energizer bunny. When that poor ball hit the ground it must have ran sideways bounding 150 yards jumped the deep creek bounded in the bushes still cooking. Early graphite shafts were not stiff enough for my fast swing in those days. I think those things came out around 92 or 93

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Adams Boxer 19* Matrix Ozik R
    Hybrid Adams A-10 OS 22* Pro Launch red R
    Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Cleveland 588 56* TTDG Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe rusty and lead taped named "Rusty"
    Bag(s) Old School Burton plain mini staff or Jones Classic

• BIG STUBIG STU  12556WRX Points: 3,170Handicap: 5.0Members Posts: 12,556 Titanium Tees

On -, @Mitchell said:

Stainless head, played one for a long time with a reshafted rifle steel 6.5. The graphite shaft was not terrible either, just remember players looking for ones labeled with a gold outline of the flex designation as that denoted either a Harrison professional or Aldila HM40 shaft instead of the much higher torque standard offering.

LOL back in those days I could rope hook a HM-55 which is in my beloved Penna. I rope hooked that thing several times. My famous rope hook with it was in a team event here at the beach around 94. 2nd hole at Beachwood I rope hooked it so bad it went OB over into Possum Trot which is the neighboring course and hit a unoccupied cart. My partner looked at me and said do not pull that thing out of the bag anymore use your 1 iron. No danger of that now I can barely get it back and through. In fact I have to push the issue a little bit with the HM-40 in a Penna that Randy gave me but I can still hit it

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Adams Boxer 19* Matrix Ozik R
    Hybrid Adams A-10 OS 22* Pro Launch red R
    Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Cleveland 588 56* TTDG Sensicore S-400
    Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe rusty and lead taped named "Rusty"
    Bag(s) Old School Burton plain mini staff or Jones Classic

Yeah, I'd probably be looking for a steel shaft like Eldrick used.

Posted:

Cobra MAX 16.5* 3 wood

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • WrigglesWriggles  3285WRX Points: 912Members Posts: 3,285 Titanium Tees

I had a set of King Cobra offset titanium woods, foolishly bought at full price, back in 1998. Hardly ever played the 5 wood, gave to a BIL. The driver, I never could hit, probably the worst driver i ever bought. The 3W was a jewel, played it for years, until it looked so shabby, I tossed it, for a FT-iz replacement. The FT-iz is a great 3W.

Posted:

Not an offset fan myself

Posted:

Cobra MAX 16.5* 3 wood

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

• NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USA 7008WRX Points: 1,054Handicap: 7Members Posts: 7,008 Titanium Tees

On -, @dcopp7 said:

It was a stainless head correct? Anyone have any experience with it in either steel or graphite shaft and can comment?

Ironically, I was thinking about this recently. I like playing the older clubs, and the late 90s are when I started the game. Playing a 260cc or smaller driver gives me a sense of nostalgia. :)

There was a YouTube golf guy out there who compared the Cobra Deep Face to a modern driver. Think he used on course, and had launch monitor comparative data. He concluded the old driver was way shorter, but he didn't equalize for club length. A 2" longer driver being able to be swung faster, is supposed to produce more distance, that's hardly a conclusion. If one were to extrapolate his data, the differences are considerably less.

Since I already prefer shorter drivers, seems like something worth playing with. :)

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.25"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.25"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805

I saw that video. I want to a guy make a vid with identical shafts and same length. Only old head vs modern head. That's a true test.

Posted:

Cobra MAX 16.5* 3 wood

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.