My Spider X

BrizamBrizam JunkieClubWRX Posts: 961 ClubWRX

Taylormade just opened up the My Spider X.... This could be dangerous for me. I have been saying if I could get a Spider X with no sight-lines i would buy one. Guess I need to pull the trigger.

Comments

• TK3309TK3309 Members Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Just completed my order. I have a copper Spider X with a single sightline now and really like it but I also like the plain top of my black Spider Tour. Went back and forth all day deciding between doing a plain all copper or all black and ended up going all black. Will make sure I post pictures when I receive it. Says order will ship in 3-4 weeks. Didn't think MySpider X would be available until later in the year but this was a nice spring surprise today.

TaylorMade M5 Tour 9 Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
    TaylorMade M5 3 Wood Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757X
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS 6.5
    TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
    TaylorMade P770 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Raw 52 and Hi-Toe 58.10
    TaylorMade MySpider X Black
    Taylormade TP5X
  • stugotzstugotz Pinehurst Knights 2017 Senior Winner Members Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019 11:27pm #3

My gut says this online design concept will be a real winner since cleaning up the Spider Series with the X model. Even TMs miniSpider is lights out fun to putt with. Wonder if they will go with a myMini if this is successful? Hope they have lots of black paint!

917 10.5
    Rogue 4W,
    AP2 716 5 - PW
    Cleveland CBX 52 56 60
    Newport 2 / Versa 9
    Pinehurst Knights 2017 Champ
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Valley of the SunMembers Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2019 12:44am #4

This is going to be mine!! Use the T-Alignment on my Spider now and love it.

Just wish I could pick heavier weights.

Never used a flow next and interested in less toe hang. Any feedback on that neck?

PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5 Tensei Pro White 60s
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4 Iron Elevate Tour
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Stand corrected. This one instead.

TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat
  • Green in RegGreen in Reg Members Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭

Ordered a flow neck first thing this morning. Wondering if the insert will be different than the insert in the regular Spider X? I think it will be the same aluminum insert as the my spider tour’s considering you can choose which color.

Taylormade M5 9*- Speeder Evo
    Taylormade M6D 16*- Accra
    Callaway Apex hybrid 19* 
    Taylormade P760 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey 50* 55* and 60*
    Spider X 33.5"

@Green in Reg said:
    Ordered a flow neck first thing this morning. Wondering if the insert will be different than the insert in the regular Spider X? I think it will be the same aluminum insert as the my spider tour’s considering you can choose which color.

Have you tried the flow neck?

Insert does feel a little better than the black FOR ME.

TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat

@OspreyCI said:

@Green in Reg said:

Have you tried the flow neck?

Insert does feel a little better than the black FOR ME.

I’ve never tried the flowneck. That’s why I ordered it sight unseen. I’ve owned every other neck variation they’ve released. It’s gotta be good!

Callaway Apex hybrid 19* 
    Taylormade P760 4-PW
    Spider X 33.5"
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Green in Reg said:

If they don't specifically tell you the insert is different how could it be different ? I can't see them risking all the possible returns for something that simple/ridiculous ?

The Spider TOUR, unless I'm mistaken did NOT have a metallic insert. Both the JD and DJ model had some form of "plastic" type insert (Surlyn ? similar to the new "X". The Tour "Platinum" and the Minis have metallic inserts.

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

@nsxguy said:

@Green in Reg said:

If they don't specifically tell you the insert is different how could it be different ? I can't see them risking all the possible returns for something that simple/ridiculous ?

The Spider TOUR, unless I'm mistaken did NOT have a metallic insert. Both the JD and DJ model had some form of "plastic" type insert (Surlyn ? similar to the new "X". The Tour "Platinum" and the Minis have metallic inserts.

That is correct. The DJ & JD Spider tours have surlyn inserts (one black and one gray). The MySpider Tour’s come with a different insert though. It was their aluminum version that was similar or the same as what they put in their Spider Mini’s & the Platinum. It certainly was neither of the Red or Black. I was thrown off when I first received my MySpider Tour, but it grew on me.

Callaway Apex hybrid 19* 
    Taylormade P760 4-PW
    Spider X 33.5"

Evidence of my Spider obsession/knowledge...

Callaway Apex hybrid 19* 
    Taylormade P760 4-PW
    Spider X 33.5"
  • RH82RH82 Members Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Why oh why is there no plumbers neck!? Probably good for my wallet anyways.

TBD
    Titleist 917 F2 (16.5*)
    Callaway Apex (20*)
    Srixon Z785 (4-PW)
    Cleveland RTX-4 (50*/56*/60*)
    Odyssey Tank #7
  • kfurnokfurno kfurno Members Posts: 54 ✭✭

This is exciting, I’ve been hoping for an all black w/no sightlines as well! I have the spider tour now and while I do like it, I wish the insert were firmer - even the firm surlyn is sometimes too soft for me, I wish I could hear/feel impact more. How is the spider x insert different from the tour models?

Taylormade 2016 M1 HZRDUS Black
    Nike Covert Tour 3wd
    Adams Red Hybrid 18 degrees
    Mizuno MP-18SC (5-7) MB (8-PW) KBS C-Taper 120
    Vokey 52,56,60
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black/Scotty Cameron X5 flowneck (Bastain Milled)

@kfurno said:
    This is exciting, I’ve been hoping for an all black w/no sightlines as well! I have the spider tour now and while I do like it, I wish the insert were firmer - even the firm surlyn is sometimes too soft for me, I wish I could hear/feel impact more. How is the spider x insert different from the tour models?

The Spider X insert is much thicker than the Spider Tour. With the Spider Tour you almost get a "ping" sound with it being hollow. The Spider X has a much more solid/crisp feel. I switched into the Spider X this spring and the feel you're describing is pretty much what the Spider X offers.

Taylormade TP5X

@Green in Reg said:

@nsxguy said:

@Green in Reg said:

That is correct. The DJ & JD Spider tours have surlyn inserts (one black and one gray). The MySpider Tour’s come with a different insert though. It was their aluminum version that was similar or the same as what they put in their Spider Mini’s & the Platinum. It certainly was neither of the Red or Black. I was thrown off when I first received my MySpider Tour, but it grew on me.

OK, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. You said you wondered if the "insert will be different than the insert in the regular My Spidex X"
    and that you thought "it will be the same aluminum insert as the my spider tour’s considering you can choose which color.

So first things first. The "original" Tour Spider. You obviously have plenty of them (Are you a rep ?). What insert is in THEM ? I see you can order the insert in different colors but one would assume(?) it's either a DJ or JD insert, no ? Of course, if I wanted to order one I would have asked which one it is or if I could have my choice either of them. Could you order it with the aluminum insert (colored) ? If so, was it $100 less ? What insert do all of yours have ?

Now the newer Spider-X. AFAICT there is only 1 insert available as opposed to the 3 for the Tour Spider. You seem to be saying it's an aluminum insert. That is almost certainly incorrect. I have a Spider-X and if that insert IS aluminum I would be incredibly surprised - it certainly doesn't look, feel OR sound like it.

All the Spider-X I've seen on the shelves seem to have the exact same insert. And that insert appears to be Surlyn as well. So why would one think that, even if they colored it, it would be a different type of insert ? Wouldn't people return them in droves ? After all the aluminum insert Spider Tour ("Platinum") appeared to be the exact same putter as the Tour except for the aluminum insert and it was priced a full $100 less than the Tour.

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Titleist AVX
  • Davidelliott100Davidelliott100 Members Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Really wish you could get something other than a superstroke on this... I get that they are popular, but I get really tired of regripping my putter as soon as it arrives. Haha

Taylormade M2 2017 9.5
    Taylormade M4 16.5
    Taylormade RBZ 3 iron bent to 17.5
    Taylormade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW
    Vokey SM5 Black 50, 54, 58
    Taylormade Spider S

@Davidelliott100 said:
    Really wish you could get something other than a superstroke on this... I get that they are popular, but I get really tired of regripping my putter as soon as it arrives. Haha

Just a tip as well if you're pulling off the SuperStroke grips right away is to compare the tip to the grip you're putting on. For instance I've used the Winn Midsize Medalist for years and the butt tip is not near as big as the SuperStrokes. When I pull off a SuperStroke grip off a TaylorMade stock putter that's 35" it ends up playing closer to 34.5" with my Winn grip.

Taylormade TP5X
  • Davidelliott100Davidelliott100 Members Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

@TK3309 said:

@Davidelliott100 said:

Just a tip as well if you're pulling off the SuperStroke grips right away is to compare the tip to the grip you're putting on. For instance I've used the Winn Midsize Medalist for years and the butt tip is not near as big as the SuperStrokes. When I pull off a SuperStroke grip off a TaylorMade stock putter that's 35" it ends up playing closer to 34.5" with my Winn grip.

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of that. I'll have to check it out. I've probably been playing 34.5 for a while!

Taylormade M2 2017 9.5
    Taylormade M4 16.5
    Taylormade RBZ 3 iron bent to 17.5
    Taylormade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW
    Vokey SM5 Black 50, 54, 58
    Taylormade Spider S

• AG12AG12 Members Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I really want to pull the trigger on a blacked out Spider X....I already called TM to see if I could buy the All Black SuperStroke grip and they turned me down. decisions decisions

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist TS3 21* Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
    Callaway Apex '19 5-AW Nippon Modus3 105
    Titleist SM7 54.10S DG S200
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58*/ATV KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB

Anyone have info on what Headcover comes with it? Are there different colors?

TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 2,141 ClubWRX

So pumped when I saw this announcement! I saw a copper Spider X head with no True Path alignment and no sightline in the putter lab when I was at TM in November, and I've been wanting an all black version ever since. I can't do sight lines on putters and the plain top JDay Itsy Bitsy proto has been great for nearly 3 years now. I liked the feel of the Spider X when I've tried it, but I couldn't game it because of the alignment aids.

Here's what I ordered this morning. Yeah, yeah...maybe this is kind of boring, but it's exactly what I want and that's kind of the point of the My Spider program. It will fit right in with my current lineup of Spiders. I left the insert white as a nod to the indicate it's a Spider X, since that's the color of the retail inserts.

A couple of things that caught my eye when ordering.

1. There's a true flow neck option if you select the True Path alignment. That's awesome. I'm a fan of the short neck on these, but I know some were interested in a flow neck back when the Spider Tour was released. Happy to see this is available.
    2. I nearly missed that there was an option to remove the white True Path alignment and get the head that doesn't have the full channel on the top. For a split-second my heart sank and I didn't think I could get the exact putter I wanted. Happy to be wrong there!
    3. No grip options other than Superstroke is a bit of a bummer. It would have been nice to have some other options, but odds are I was going to be putting on a different grip anyway. Related: The Superstroke grips have a thicker grip cap, so be aware when you customize length. You may want to go a little longer and trim back if you're sensitive to having the length right. I play at 34" and ordered 34.5" to make sure the putter wasn't going be shorter than 34" after I switch grips.
    TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M2 T3 (2016 deep face), Graphite Design Purple Ice 85X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB

@OspreyCI said:
    Anyone have info on what Headcover comes with it? Are there different colors?

This is what is shown on their website when ordering. They are probably going with a one size fits all option like this that is colorful to make it easy on themselves. The MySpider Tour's only came with the black & white headcover...

Callaway Apex hybrid 19* 
    Taylormade P760 4-PW
    Spider X 33.5"
  • AG12AG12 Members Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think I am going to hold off on the MySpider X until they can offer loft/lie adjustments. Kind of a bummer

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist TS3 21* Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
    Callaway Apex '19 5-AW Nippon Modus3 105
    Titleist SM7 54.10S DG S200
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58*/ATV KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB

@nsxguy said:

@Green in Reg said:

@nsxguy said:

@Green in Reg said:

OK, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. You said you wondered if the "insert will be different than the insert in the regular My Spidex X"
    and that you thought "it will be the same aluminum insert as the my spider tour’s considering you can choose which color.

So first things first. The "original" Tour Spider. You obviously have plenty of them (Are you a rep ?). What insert is in THEM ? I see you can order the insert in different colors but one would assume(?) it's either a DJ or JD insert, no ? Of course, if I wanted to order one I would have asked which one it is or if I could have my choice either of them. Could you order it with the aluminum insert (colored) ? If so, was it $100 less ? What insert do all of yours have ?

Now the newer Spider-X. AFAICT there is only 1 insert available as opposed to the 3 for the Tour Spider. You seem to be saying it's an aluminum insert. That is almost certainly incorrect. I have a Spider-X and if that insert IS aluminum I would be incredibly surprised - it certainly doesn't look, feel OR sound like it.

All the Spider-X I've seen on the shelves seem to have the exact same insert. And that insert appears to be Surlyn as well. So why would one think that, even if they colored it, it would be a different type of insert ? Wouldn't people return them in droves ? After all the aluminum insert Spider Tour ("Platinum") appeared to be the exact same putter as the Tour except for the aluminum insert and it was priced a full $100 less than the Tour.

I think you are misunderstanding me. Allow me to clarify...
    Spider Tour Models:

• Jason Day version (red head): black surlyn insert (soft)
    • Dustin Johnson version (black head): gray surlyn insert (firm)
    • MySpider version (color made to order): 3mm aluminum insert (no ability to order a different insert)

Spider X Models:

• ALL STANDARD (OFF THE RACK) COLORS AND HOSEL CONFIGURATIONS: white colored 5mm surlyn insert
    • MySpider X version (color made to order): Insert type not listed on website and no ability to select which insert you want

As far as people returning them- not sure what to tell you? I didn't return any of the three I ordered. I was surprised that it was aluminum when I got the first one I ordered, but it is listed on their website (I pasted the image above). There is no price reduction for the aluminum insert.

I did go on the Taylormade chat and ask the person who popped up what insert would come in the MySpider X and he said "to his knowledge" it was the 5mm surlyn insert that came standard in all of the other Spider X models. I always take what those guys say with a grain of salt. He didn't seem too sure LOL.

I am speculating/assuming that the insert that will come in the MySpider X will be the 3mm aluminum or the same as what was in the MySpider Tour. I made that assumption because you can choose the color of insert you want, just like the MySpider Tour. If it was the same surlyn insert that is stock in other models, I would be happy and impressed that they came up with a way to paint/color them. I guess we will find out when people start receiving their MySpider X's in 3 weeks!

Callaway Apex hybrid 19* 
    Taylormade P760 4-PW
    Spider X 33.5"

@Green in Reg said:

@nsxguy said:

@Green in Reg said:

@nsxguy said:

@Green in Reg said:

I think you are misunderstanding me. Allow me to clarify...
    Spider Tour Models:

• Jason Day version (red head): black surlyn insert (soft)
    • Dustin Johnson version (black head): gray surlyn insert (firm)
    • MySpider version (color made to order): 3mm aluminum insert (no ability to order a different insert)

Spider X Models:

• ALL STANDARD (OFF THE RACK) COLORS AND HOSEL CONFIGURATIONS: white colored 5mm surlyn insert
    • MySpider X version (color made to order): Insert type not listed on website and no ability to select which insert you want

As far as people returning them- not sure what to tell you? I didn't return any of the three I ordered. I was surprised that it was aluminum when I got the first one I ordered, but it is listed on their website (I pasted the image above). There is no price reduction for the aluminum insert.

I did go on the Taylormade chat and ask the person who popped up what insert would come in the MySpider X and he said "to his knowledge" it was the 5mm surlyn insert that came standard in all of the other Spider X models. I always take what those guys say with a grain of salt. He didn't seem too sure LOL.

I am speculating/assuming that the insert that will come in the MySpider X will be the 3mm aluminum or the same as what was in the MySpider Tour. I made that assumption because you can choose the color of insert you want, just like the MySpider Tour. If it was the same surlyn insert that is stock in other models, I would be happy and impressed that they came up with a way to paint/color them. I guess we will find out when people start receiving their MySpider X's in 3 weeks!

Thanks for the explanation(s).

Last things first. So the My Spidex X is the same face insert as on the racks but you can customize it for another $70. The part where it says (on the My Tour Spider) that the face is aluminum is NOT on the current My Spider X page.

My screen size was too small so when I looked at the original My Tour Spider so I didn't see the scroll bar and didn't see the face info. NOW I see it - aluminum face, just as you posted.

So the prior version, the Tour Spider, "Platinum" version, with the aluminum face was $200 on the racks, and the JD & DJ versions with the corresponding Surlyn faces were $300.

My Tour Spider was $360, seemingly a $60 customizing charge BUT, they came NOT with the Surlyn faces of the JD/DJ but with the aluminum face, effectively making the "My Tour Spider" a "My Tour Platinum Spider", i.e. a "Platinum" ($200) customized putter for an additional $160.

That sound about right ?

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Titleist AVX

You saying that My Tour Spider has an aluminum insert? I have one and does not feel like the Spider X insert.

TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat

@OspreyCI said:
    You saying that My Tour Spider has an aluminum insert? I have one and does not feel like the Spider X insert.

Yes it does. No doubt. The stock Spider X does NOT have an aluminum insert. The MySpider X is TBD.

Callaway Apex hybrid 19* 
    Taylormade P760 4-PW
    Spider X 33.5"

@Green in Reg said:

@OspreyCI said:

Yes it does. No doubt. The stock Spider X does NOT have an aluminum insert. The MySpider X is TBD.

Roger that. Thanks.

TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat

@AG12 said:
    I think I am going to hold off on the MySpider X until they can offer loft/lie adjustments. Kind of a bummer

Loft/lie options weren't available on the MySpider either. I'd have to assume that won't be an option. Would be easy to bring it to your local box store though and have it bent to your specs.

Taylormade TP5X
  • Mystery252Mystery252 Members Posts: 39 ✭✭

And the lefties don't even get the option of no sight line. God I hate being left handed.

Just received shipping confirmation for delivery next week. Looks like it’ll be delivered right at the 3 week mark (I ordered the day they were released). Mildly aroused with anticipation for the flow neck...

Callaway Apex hybrid 19* 
    Taylormade P760 4-PW
    Spider X 33.5"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file