My Spider X

Comments

• SkeeterSkeeter Members Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the flow neck is only available if you go with the wide white alignment system?

I wanted a flow neck but need just a plain single sightline. Wonder why.

• Fourpar18Fourpar18 Members Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Skeeter said:
    So the flow neck is only available if you go with the wide white alignment system?

I wanted a flow neck but need just a plain single sightline. Wonder why.

Saw that too...wondering the same thing.

• mjbaker80mjbaker80 Members Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer-this is pure speculation...

The Spider X insert is 5mm. The previous Spider (et al) inserts were 3mm at largest/thickest. So, to fit into the new design, the insert would have to be 5 mm. I can’t see them doing a different 5mm insert for the MySpider X. And, the old ones wouldn’t fit without additional modifications

That being said, the did do an entirely different one for the MySpider....so... who knows I suppose! Last thought, this MySpider X came WAY quicker. I guess I’d just be shocked if the insert is different

• commoditybrokercommoditybroker Folsom, CAMembers Posts: 56 ✭✭

@AG12 said:
    I think I am going to hold off on the MySpider X until they can offer loft/lie adjustments. Kind of a bummer

Exactly! Id order one now if loft / lie could be done. Seems like a miss....

• TK3309TK3309 Members Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Received a shipping notification over the weekend and will have mine on Wednesday. Ordered the first day of availability.

TaylorMade M5 Tour 9 Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
    TaylorMade M5 3 Wood Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757X
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS 6.5
    TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
    TaylorMade P770 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Raw 52 and Hi-Toe 58.10
    TaylorMade MySpider X Black
    Taylormade TP5X
    edited Jun 3, 2019 7:06pm #37

WOW! that was fast.....I'm about 1 later but that's really encouraging..... Good news for us, I can't imagine a ton of people ordered these.....you gotta be pretty particular to want to pay $420 for a putter that is pretty nice looking as is.... They just got me because I (like the guy above) couldn't stand the black line. LOVE the white strip; hate the line within it....

• kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,063 ClubWRX

@Green in Reg said:
    Just received shipping confirmation for delivery next week. Looks like it’ll be delivered right at the 3 week mark (I ordered the day they were released). Mildly aroused with anticipation for the flow neck...

Is that the neck only available via custom spider? if so, I'm curious how you like it.

• Green in RegGreen in Reg Members Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭

@kekoa said:

@Green in Reg said:
    Just received shipping confirmation for delivery next week. Looks like it’ll be delivered right at the 3 week mark (I ordered the day they were released). Mildly aroused with anticipation for the flow neck...

Is that the neck only available via custom spider? if so, I'm curious how you like it.

I’ll let you know by the end of the week!!!

Taylormade M5 9*- Speeder Evo
    Taylormade M6D 16*- Accra
    Callaway Apex hybrid 19* 
    Taylormade P760 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey 50* 55* and 60*
    Spider X 33.5"
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 2,145 ClubWRX

@mjbaker80 said:

The Spider X insert is 5mm. The previous Spider (et al) inserts were 3mm at largest/thickest. So, to fit into the new design, the insert would have to be 5 mm. I can’t see them doing a different 5mm insert for the MySpider X. And, the old ones wouldn’t fit without additional modifications

That being said, the did do an entirely different one for the MySpider....so... who knows I suppose! Last thought, this MySpider X came WAY quicker. I guess I’d just be shocked if the insert is different

The aluminum insert in the original My Spider was done in the Spider Limiteds that released before the Spider Tour, so it's something that had been used. I have no inside info but based on everything I know about these putters, I'm almost 100% sure the insert is the same insert as on the regular retail model, just painted in your chosen color.

I ordered mine the morning after they were announced and I still haven't received a shipping notification. My order was nearly identical to TK3309's, so I'm thinking they sold more of these up front that one might have expected.

TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M2 T3 (2016 deep face), Graphite Design Purple Ice 85X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • ASN21ASN21 #TeamTaylorMade Bay AreaMembers Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

@mjbaker80 said:
    WOW! that was fast.....I'm about 1 later but that's really encouraging..... Good news for us, I can't imagine a ton of people ordered these.....you gotta be pretty particular to want to pay $420 for a putter that is pretty nice looking as is.... They just got me because I (like the guy above) couldn't stand the black line. LOVE the white strip; hate the line within it....

Pictures when it arrives!!

TaylorMade M6 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Black
    TaylorMade M6 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver
    TaylorMade GAPR HI 3 & 4 - KBS Hybrid
    TaylorMade P790 5-AW - Project X LZ
    TaylorMade Milled Grind HI-TOE 56 & 60 - KBS HI-REV 2.0
    TaylorMade My Spider X
    TaylorMade TP5/X

@jll62 said:

@mjbaker80 said:

The aluminum insert in the original My Spider was done in the Spider Limiteds that released before the Spider Tour, so it's something that had been used. I have no inside info but based on everything I know about these putters, I'm almost 100% sure the insert is the same insert as on the regular retail model, just painted in your chosen color.

I ordered mine the morning after they were announced and I still haven't received a shipping notification. My order was nearly identical to TK3309's, so I'm thinking they sold more of these up front that one might have expected.

Yup! You're right that the MATERIAL of aluminum was used inthe Spider but the Spider X insert is THICKER (front to back width). The Spider X insert is more the width of an old school pink eraser (5mm) vs the older insert was about a couple credit cards (3mm). I should have been more clear in my post. The MATERIAL was used but there has never been a spider insert that is this THICK (with these dimensions. Thus, to make a new insert for this one, they'd had to make a new mold of a thicker one. The old inserts, aluminum or otherwise, wouldn't fit.

PS - couple months ago Trott posted on Instagram a comparison of the Spider X vs old Spider insert and wrote that they made it thicker for the X (better feel apparently). The new one is nearly twice as fat.

• jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 2,145 ClubWRX

@mjbaker80 said:

@jll62 said:

@mjbaker80 said:

Yup! You're right that the MATERIAL of aluminum was used inthe Spider but the Spider X insert is THICKER (front to back width). The Spider X insert is more the width of an old school pink eraser (5mm) vs the older insert was about a couple credit cards (3mm). I should have been more clear in my post. The MATERIAL was used but there has never been a spider insert that is this THICK (with these dimensions. Thus, to make a new insert for this one, they'd had to make a new mold of a thicker one. The old inserts, aluminum or otherwise, wouldn't fit.

For what it's worth, the insert looks to be aluminum based on pics TK3309 sent me of his MySpider X. It has the old school AGSI style grooves and he said it sounds like metal when tapped with a coin. I guess I'll have to reserve judgement until I get mine to see how it feels, but my enthusiasm is somewhat dampened now. I was not a fan of the aluminum insert on the Spider Limited. Mine shipped a couple days ago and should be here early next week, so I'll get more info then.

Part of the reason I was speculating that the MySpider X would have the standard insert is because of the thickness change. It didn't make sense to me that TM would create a thicker aluminum insert just for use with the MySpider X, but maybe that was a bad assumption. We know the thickness changed on the retail model, but there's no guarantee it did on the MySpider version.

TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Orange V2 70TX, 44.5"
    TaylorMade M2 T3 (2016 deep face), Graphite Design Purple Ice 85X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade RSi TP 3-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Black Copper Soto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB

Hate to say I told you so, but the insert is definitely aluminum. It’s the same insert that was in the MySpider Tour putters and Spider Mini’s. I had a feeling there was no way they could offer that many colors in the surlyn insert.

Callaway Apex hybrid 19* 
    Taylormade P760 4-PW
    Spider X 33.5"

Callaway Apex hybrid 19* 
    Taylormade P760 4-PW
    Spider X 33.5"
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Valley of the SunMembers Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great post and great looking Spider. Looking forward to your feedback. I just came from a My Spider Tour and really liked the aluminum insert.

PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5 Tensei Pro White 60s
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4 Iron Elevate Tour
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Wow! I'm shocked! So they must have made a new insert for the My?!?! Welp, as I said, I was purely speculating!
    So, if the material IS aluminum NOW. What was it before?!
    Also, just curious....how do we KNOW it's aluminum? Can you just tell?
    I actually liked the aluminum (back on the old DJ one)...
    Great posts and info - thank you guys!

• nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Green in Reg said:
    Hate to say I told you so, but the insert is definitely aluminum. It’s the same insert that was in the MySpider Tour putters and Spider Mini’s. I had a feeling there was no way they could offer that many colors in the surlyn insert.

WOW !!!

Man, I'd really be ticked off and I'd send it BACK !!!.

At least the My Tour Spider had that slide bar/box that told you the insert was aluminum.

The current slide bar/box, at least on the few My Spider-X that I looked at, doesn't say ANYTHING about the insert.

How on Earth could TM think that people would want a different insert ? Makes zero sense. Some/many/most players want their custom putter to "putt" exactly the same as the ones in the stores that they demo.

Aluminum and surlyn don't come close to feeling the same.

What a screw up !!! Taylormade. No thanks.

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Valley of the SunMembers Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 8, 2019 3:17am #51

@nsxguy said:

@Green in Reg said:

WOW !!!

Man, I'd really be ticked off and I'd send it BACK !!!.

At least the My Tour Spider had that slide bar/box that told you the insert was aluminum.

The current slide bar/box, at least on the few My Spider-X that I looked at, doesn't say ANYTHING about the insert.

How on Earth could TM think that people would want a different insert ? Makes zero sense. Some/many/most players want their custom putter to "putt" exactly the same as the ones in the stores that they demo.

Aluminum and surlyn don't come close to feeling the same.

What a screw up !!! Taylormade. No thanks.

1000% agree. That kept me from ordering a My Spider X. I like the retail Spider X insert way better than the My Spider Tour I have been using.

Made me go ahead order a PXG GEN2 putter.

Loooooong time Spider user.

PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5 Tensei Pro White 60s
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4 Iron Elevate Tour
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat

I thought I heard that DJ had a different insert in his X. Perhaps the same 80/20 that was in his black Spider. Same as this one?
    I'm just surprised, really. I know the My Spider insert was designed to feel like "in between the surly and 80/20" but I never thought it felt as good as the surly or 80/20.
    Wonder what they "why" was here....

• brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Worst thing about the insert with the rubber filled grooves vs. the ones on the Spider Tour Black and Spider X is that it will trap pieces of debris that are impossible to get out. Doesn't affect the roll but so annoying.

PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52F, 58M
    Odyssey White Hot #1

Got in 36 with MySpider on Friday and couldn't have liked it more. Loved having the plain top look again and made 13 birdies on the day with the putter having a lot to do with it. Sets up perfectly to my eye too. Hopefully not just a honeymoon stage. Ball rolled really well and I did like the aluminum insert.

Taylormade TP5X

DUDE..... YOU. JUST. MADE. MY. DAY. I ordered the silver insert, too....so, I assume I'll get the same one you got. JOY JOY JOY!
    I assume by white you meant silver, anyway. Don't burst my bubble :wink:

edited Jun 10, 2019 6:39pm #57

@mjbaker80 said:
    DUDE..... YOU. JUST. MADE. MY. DAY. I ordered the silver insert, too....so, I assume I'll get the same one you got. JOY JOY JOY!

jll62 ordered the white insert and it came with the standard 80/20 insert. I ordered silver and it came with the aluminum insert. As jll62 said it'll be interesting to see if different colors do have different types of inserts.

Taylormade TP5X

@TK3309 said:

@mjbaker80 said:

jll62 ordered the white insert and it came with the standard 80/20 insert. I ordered silver and it came with the aluminum insert. As jll62 said it'll be interesting to see if different colors do have different types of inserts.

ARGH! So weird..... I just checked and mine is silver.....but it hasn't been delivered yet.
    Honest question that has yet to be answered...for those of you who have chimed in, how do you know it's aluminum? I'm not being skeptical I just have no idea how you guys can tell? I've had literally every spider variation since 2009 and I am confident I could guess right in a "Pepsi test." I'm not sure I'd bet my life on my guess though... Also, the Spider X also feels a lot different than the Spider (I've owned both)....it's much more "solid" IMO. Thus, I'm not sure how that changes the feel of the insert, accordingly...

Is there some kind of a magnet test or something?

Thanks in advance! CAn't wait to get mine and see what mystery insert I get :)

@mjbaker80 said:

@TK3309 said:

@mjbaker80 said:

ARGH! So weird..... I just checked and mine is silver.....but it hasn't been delivered yet.
    Honest question that has yet to be answered...for those of you who have chimed in, how do you know it's aluminum? I'm not being skeptical I just have no idea how you guys can tell? I've had literally every spider variation since 2009 and I am confident I could guess right in a "Pepsi test." I'm not sure I'd bet my life on my guess though... Also, the Spider X also feels a lot different than the Spider (I've owned both)....it's much more "solid" IMO. Thus, I'm not sure how that changes the feel of the insert, accordingly...

Is there some kind of a magnet test or something?

Thanks in advance! CAn't wait to get mine and see what mystery insert I get :)

If you look above at both of the inserts mine on the silver have the circles on the end of the grooves, there are more grooves on the face and the grooves aren't nearly as deep. Also when I tap the insert with a coin it makes a "ping" sound. The insert is identical to my TP Black Copper Soto. I also have a Copper Spider X that when I hit it with a coin there it is a muted sound. The above photo of jll62's putter show the grooves being much deeper and just straight grooves across. That insert above that jll62 posted is identical to the retail Spider X.

Taylormade TP5X
    edited Jun 10, 2019 9:39pm #60

CRAZY! You're right....never even noticed the circles. Man, that bums me out...was really hoping I'd get the same insert as the Spider X had.... Oh well, I liked the 80/20, too. I think I heard that DJ went with the 80/20 in his Spider X.... can't remember where I saw that....might have been on Trott's Instagram.....

PS - total GENIUS move going with the white insert...I never would have thought that would increase the likelihood of it being the same material as the X. I think we are starting to see WHY they don't say the material on the order page.....it's because they're all different. So, a guy has to essentially decide between look and material. That's a bit odd. I picked the grey because it fit the color scheme I was going with ... mine is a nod to my favorite Transformer, Megatron. (I'm a huge nerd, yes)..... had I know all of this, I'd have ordered white...

PPS - I think we need to name this.... #INSERTGATE

As you can see from my previous posts... I’ve tried to stay positive and optimistic about the aluminum insert because I was fully expecting it having ordered multiple MySpider Tour’s and understanding that because of manufacturing purposes, it was impossible to do the suryln in different colors. However, if someone would have told me I could get the same insert as retail, that I just needed to select the white color, I would’ve done that in a heartbeat! Total ****.

Callaway Apex hybrid 19* 
    Taylormade P760 4-PW
    Spider X 33.5"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file