Best/easiest way to keep a handicap?

flgolfer1 ·  
flgolfer1flgolfer1  5WRX Points: 10Handicap: 7Members Posts: 5 Bunkers

After about a decade break from the game other than the occasional once a year round I am getting back into the game. I escaped the golf **** of DC back to central Florida and playing 1-2 times a week. I am consistently breaking 80 but would like to get back down to 70-75 rounds and start playing in Florida state amateur tournaments just for fun. My last competitive rounds were in high school so I never had or needed an official handicap. All that to say what is the easiest and best way to keep an official handicap? I went on the Florida State Golf Association website but it seems like you need to belong to a club to use the online program?

Any tips and tricks? Trying to do it by joining as few associations or programs as possible. Thanks!

Posted:

Comments

• cpeckcpeck North new jersey 598WRX Points: 284Handicap: leftyMembers Posts: 598 Golden Tee

i use diablo golf, you can print a card out from the website and log everything else through the app.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE Ohio 3119WRX Points: 762Handicap: 2.9Members Posts: 3,119 Titanium Tees

Just have to get a handicap membership at any usga sanctioned club.

Posted:
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • NewbyNewby  7644WRX Points: 596Members Posts: 7,644 Titanium Tees

On -, @cpeck said:

i use diablo golf, you can print a card out from the website and log everything else through the app.

Don't you need to join one of the DiabloGolf golf clubs?

Posted:
  • BiggErnBiggErn  2737WRX Points: 626Members Posts: 2,737 Titanium Tees

The grint app

Posted:
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5  5714WRX Points: 1,042Members Posts: 5,714 Titanium Tees

Any public course should be able to set you up with a GHIN account for $30-$60 per year. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Posted:
  • cpeckcpeck North new jersey 598WRX Points: 284Handicap: leftyMembers Posts: 598 Golden Tee

it registers you to a club depending on location. free and easy to use. >

On -, @Newby said:

On -, @cpeck said:

Don't you need to join one of the DiabloGolf golf clubs?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • GaHack1GaHack1  201WRX Points: 86Members Posts: 201 Fairways

I would go with the FSGA, I know in Georgia the GSGA gives you a lot more with the handicap.

"The FSGA is pleased to offer online USGA GHIN Handicap Indexes through its website. You'll automatically be enrolled in a FSGA Type III Club in your area (must have a Florida address listed on your FSGA account) and will be assigned a GHIN Handicap® by email confirmation. "

Posted:
  • AugsterAugster  4592WRX Points: 527Members Posts: 4,592 Titanium Tees

If you plan on playing qualifiers for state ams etc., you’ll need to join a member club or start your own.

There are “online” clubs you can join, I’m sure, that will give you a Florida official handicap and make you eligible for qualifiers.

If you just want to track what your cap would be, thegrint.com does a great job.

Posted:
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  9010WRX Points: 1,290Members Posts: 9,010 Titanium Tees

Grint app.

Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | Tour Z Xtreme 465
    3w - '16 Tour Issue M1 (16.5*) | Diamana B 70
    5w - '17 M1 | Tensei Pro Blue 70
    4h - 818H1 | Tensei Pro White 90
    Irons - P760 5-PW | Modus 120
    GW - Glide 3.0 50/12 | S400 Tour Issue
    SW - Glide 3.0 54/12| S400 Tour Issue
    LW - Glide 3.0 58/10 | S400 Tour Issue
    P - Custom EVNROLL ER5
    Ball - Bridgestone BXS

• James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan  1021WRX Points: 678Handicap: 12Members Posts: 1,021 Platinum Tees

As other's have said, you need to join a club of some kind for your handicap to be 'sanctioned' for competition purposes. If you just want to keep track of it yourself for fun, I'd just write an excel sheet for it. (PM me if you want mine)

Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

• flgolfer1flgolfer1  5WRX Points: 10Handicap: 7Members Posts: 5 Bunkers

Thanks all, so is a club a "golf club/course" or is that term just being used as you have to join a group of people in a club of some kind? That confuses me because the FSGA site seems to say I just need to pay them $40 and I will be able to track my handicap through them but then I keep seeing that I need to belong to a club... I just place public access courses.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • GaHack1GaHack1  201WRX Points: 86Members Posts: 201 Fairways

The FSGA will assign you to a class 3 club.
    "Type 3 The members of a Type 3 club had no prior affiliation, and a majority of the recruiting and sign up of the membership is done by solicitation to the public (e.g., newspaper, Internet) and where the members do not exhibit any regularity of play at any specific golf course. The residence or business address of each member of the golf club must generally be within approximately 50 miles of the principal location of the golf club."

Posted:
  • SnapHooker_605SnapHooker_605 Rapid City, SD 880WRX Points: 162Handicap: 14.5Members Posts: 880 Golden Tee

On -, @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Any public course should be able to set you up with a GHIN account for $30-$60 per year. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

You are 100% correct. I moved a couple years ago and didn't know which course I was going to join so I kept my handicap at my former "home" course. It was only a couple hours away and I still played it frequently. Even though I was no longer a member, I was able to maintain my handicap there until I joined a course and transferred it this year.

Posted:
    Cobra King F8 Driver  Aldila NV-2KXV Green 65 Stiff (9 degree setting, Draw Weight Placement, -3/4")
    Cobra King F8 3-4 Wood Aldila NV-2KXV Blue 70 Stiff (15.5 degree setting, -1/2")
    Cobra King F7 3-4 Hybrid (19 degree setting)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4 Iron Thru G Wedge - KBS Regular Flex Steel Shafts
    Titleist Spin Milled SM 5 54/10 degree and 58/8 Degree - Stock Steel Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Red X3 (34")
  • DivdevilDivdevil  51WRX Points: 45Members Posts: 51 Bunkers

Another question if I can jump in on an existing thread:

I’m thinking of getting a range membership with a local course. I rarely play but go to the range 3-4 times a week. Does that count as membership and can that club keep my handicap? Also, can I turn in rounds from other courses to count towards my handicap?

Posted:
  • ImpImp Fueled  6202WRX Points: 279Handicap: 12.6Members Posts: 6,202 Titanium Tees

On -, @Divdevil said:

Another question if I can jump in on an existing thread:

I’m thinking of getting a range membership with a local course. I rarely play but go to the range 3-4 times a week. Does that count as membership and can that club keep my handicap? Also, can I turn in rounds from other courses to count towards my handicap?

Generally not the same as you're not actually playing the course, if you're only on the range. You should talk to the course to see if they have a mens club (usually $30-$60) so when you do actually play this and other courses, you can submit the scores. If not, ask around at other courses you frequent.

--kC

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5 / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD4 52*, 58*, 64*

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.