Best/easiest way to keep a handicap?

After about a decade break from the game other than the occasional once a year round I am getting back into the game. I escaped the golf **** of DC back to central Florida and playing 1-2 times a week. I am consistently breaking 80 but would like to get back down to 70-75 rounds and start playing in Florida state amateur tournaments just for fun. My last competitive rounds were in high school so I never had or needed an official handicap. All that to say what is the easiest and best way to keep an official handicap? I went on the Florida State Golf Association website but it seems like you need to belong to a club to use the online program?

Any tips and tricks? Trying to do it by joining as few associations or programs as possible. Thanks!

Comments

• cpeckcpeck North new jerseyMembers Posts: 380 ✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019 8:48pm #2

i use diablo golf, you can print a card out from the website and log everything else through the app.

• SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard Members Posts: 2,182 ✭✭

Just have to get a handicap membership at any usga sanctioned club.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • NewbyNewby Members Posts: 6,492 ✭✭

@cpeck said:
    i use diablo golf, you can print a card out from the website and log everything else through the app.

Don't you need to join one of the DiabloGolf golf clubs?

• BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,272 ✭✭
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,201 ✭✭

Any public course should be able to set you up with a GHIN account for $30-$60 per year. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

• cpeckcpeck North new jerseyMembers Posts: 380 ✭✭

it registers you to a club depending on location. free and easy to use. > @Newby said:

@cpeck said:

Don't you need to join one of the DiabloGolf golf clubs?

• GaHack1GaHack1 Members Posts: 186 ✭✭

I would go with the FSGA, I know in Georgia the GSGA gives you a lot more with the handicap.

"The FSGA is pleased to offer online USGA GHIN Handicap Indexes through its website. You'll automatically be enrolled in a FSGA Type III Club in your area (must have a Florida address listed on your FSGA account) and will be assigned a GHIN Handicap® by email confirmation. "

• AugsterAugster Members Posts: 4,187 ✭✭

If you plan on playing qualifiers for state ams etc., you’ll need to join a member club or start your own.

There are “online” clubs you can join, I’m sure, that will give you a Florida official handicap and make you eligible for qualifiers.

If you just want to track what your cap would be, thegrint.com does a great job.

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,239 ✭✭

Grint app.

WITB
    Epic SZ HZRDUS Smoke 65 6.5
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour 120 FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members Posts: 427 ✭✭

As other's have said, you need to join a club of some kind for your handicap to be 'sanctioned' for competition purposes. If you just want to keep track of it yourself for fun, I'd just write an excel sheet for it. (PM me if you want mine)

Golfing in Finland!
  • flgolfer1flgolfer1 Members Posts: 2

Thanks all, so is a club a "golf club/course" or is that term just being used as you have to join a group of people in a club of some kind? That confuses me because the FSGA site seems to say I just need to pay them $40 and I will be able to track my handicap through them but then I keep seeing that I need to belong to a club... I just place public access courses.

• GaHack1GaHack1 Members Posts: 186 ✭✭

The FSGA will assign you to a class 3 club.
    "Type 3 The members of a Type 3 club had no prior affiliation, and a majority of the recruiting and sign up of the membership is done by solicitation to the public (e.g., newspaper, Internet) and where the members do not exhibit any regularity of play at any specific golf course. The residence or business address of each member of the golf club must generally be within approximately 50 miles of the principal location of the golf club."