Practice balls?

cellywratt ·  
cellywrattcellywratt Members  63WRX Points: 42Posts: 63 Bunkers

Hey everyone,
Wondering if I should waste money buying decent balls for my boy to practice with, currently plays with Wilson Duo Pro or just get a bunch of older balls and not worry? Thinking about 40 balls or so would be enough 😁 any advice would be appreciated.

Posted:

Comments

• leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1829WRX Points: 1,152Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,829 Platinum Tees

I don't see the point for a 7/8 year old.

Posted:

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • GolfSRQGolfSRQ Members  111WRX Points: 87Handicap: 12Posts: 111 Fairways

If he’s that young maybe look for a good sale and get him 3-4 dozen. He will probably be excited to practice with new balls. Last year we got our son (14) 4 dozen titleist pro v1 Practice balls $29dz. This worked well for the year. He would bring his own shag bag to the course and work on the chilling green and short game area (60yds) when it was not crowded.

Posted:
  • darter79darter79 Members  889WRX Points: 300Posts: 889 Golden Tee

my daughter's coach gave her a bunch (around 100) used urethane balls to chip and pitch with. She claims its always better to practice with a better ball then unpredictable range balls. In younger ages (mine included) not sure if matters a ton but if you get a good deal on them sure why.

Posted:
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members  1253WRX Points: 664Posts: 1,253 Platinum Tees

Every time we go to the range, if my kid finds a non-range ball in the bucket, he puts it in the bag. We must have over 250 balls in a box (and shag bag) at home ranging from PROV1's to Callaway to Nike to whatever. Putting we use our gamer ball. IMHO, doesn't really matter what we are hitting around the chipping green. Perhaps I am wrong and this is why we haven't dominated the 6/7/8YO junior circuit.

Posted:
    Post edited by wildcatden on

-- Just tap it in. Just tap it in. Give it a little tappy tap tap taparoo. --

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members  1572WRX Points: 382Posts: 1,572 Platinum Tees

When it comes to practice balls you should use the same ball for chipping and putting as you would in tournaments. I think it helps compared to say using the practice balls at the range. Only use range balls for practicing technique and targets. Your just not going to get the same roll out those balls which means it is different.

It's easy to find a bucket of Used balls that are like the ones you use in a tournament . At the same time I would also get a bucket of the cheapest used balls for those shots where it is likely you will lose a ball when playing rounds at the home course.

Posted:
  • Kcct82Kcct82 Members  322WRX Points: 210Posts: 322 Greens

I got my 6 YO a 96 ball bucket of Taylormade Project (a) from lost golf balls . com. He practices everything with them except for the driving range. If I were to do it again, I’d just get a 48 bucket. Cherry pick 8 for playing on the course, 30 for the shag bag, keep 10 to replenish the bag. If it’s really that important then just add 1 dozen of fresh balls for tournaments only.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • cellywrattcellywratt Members  63WRX Points: 42Posts: 63 Bunkers

Thanks for the replies! Over the weekend I was able to pick up 20 Used ProV1's for $US20 and a dozen TP5's for the same price. So looking forward to getting them in the bag. It'll also be a good opportunity to test them alongside the Wilson Duo Professional as well.

Posted:
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9385WRX Points: 869Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,385 ClubWRX

Never even thought of it. We use anything to practice and new balls for a round or tournament.

Posted:
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1829WRX Points: 1,152Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,829 Platinum Tees

On -, @kekoa said:

Never even thought of it. We use anything to practice and new balls for a round or tournament.

Half of our shag bag are balls I've found while playing and they are typically pretty new. Old or crappy balls get busted at the range.

Posted:

• MikekiMMikekiM Members  286WRX Points: 118Posts: 286 Greens

We have a tube of Callaway Tru-Vis balls we use for practicing. I like that you can watch them spin easier, and there's less chance of them getting mixed up with others. They aren't the same ball we use to play with, but doubt it really matters for us.

Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3793WRX Points: 1,109Posts: 3,793 Titanium Tees

Can't beat the AJGA deal of TP5's for $28.00 a dozen. We use them for tournament or practice.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members  549WRX Points: 386Handicap: 8Posts: 549 Golden Tee

I have a shagger full of clearance balls (Nike Superfar, TP Burner, Wilson 50, etc.). They behave well enough.

Posted:
    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....

On -, @heavy_hitter said:

Can't beat the AJGA deal of TP5's for $28.00 a dozen. We use them for tournament or practice.

Sometimes they have prior year models for $14 which is a freaking steal.

Posted:

• hangontighthangontight Members  737WRX Points: 197Posts: 737 Golden Tee

We get a few dozen 4A balls from the used golf ball website. Important to have same practice balls for short game- chipping and pitching. Get a few dozen gently used Chrome Soft for $12/Doz, perfect.

Posted:
  • mizunoMX25mizunoMX25 Members  293WRX Points: 99Posts: 293 Greens

I buy ProV1X practice balls every time I go to my local golf store. They are what the pros hit at the local PGA event on the range. $15 a dozen for once hit ProV1X's is fantastic for the shag bag. It helps to play the same ball and know exactly what the ball does and their is no ball more consistent than Titleist ProV's although most manufacturers are pretty close these days.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5 GD AD IZ 6S
    Titleist TS2 15* GD AD DJ 7S
    Callaway OptiForce 5W
    818H1 4H 23* 
    Srixon Z785 5-PW Aerotech i110 S
    Calloway MD Forged 50
    Callaway 54/58 PM Grind 2019
    Scotty Cameron Newport / Machine M2A

A buddy of ours uses Pro V1's for his son to use when we practice.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Members  433WRX Points: 179Posts: 433 Greens

I would just bag your tournament balls after scuffs or enough uses. I think we change our ball once every 18 holes or so. You should be able to accumulate 40 practice balls fairly quickly.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.