Practice balls?

Hey everyone,
Wondering if I should waste money buying decent balls for my boy to practice with, currently plays with Wilson Duo Pro or just get a bunch of older balls and not worry? Thinking about 40 balls or so would be enough 😁 any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,076 ✭✭

I don't see the point for a 7/8 year old.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• GolfSRQGolfSRQ Members Posts: 53 ✭✭

If he’s that young maybe look for a good sale and get him 3-4 dozen. He will probably be excited to practice with new balls. Last year we got our son (14) 4 dozen titleist pro v1 Practice balls $29dz. This worked well for the year. He would bring his own shag bag to the course and work on the chilling green and short game area (60yds) when it was not crowded.

• darter79darter79 Members Posts: 701 ✭✭

my daughter's coach gave her a bunch (around 100) used urethane balls to chip and pitch with. She claims its always better to practice with a better ball then unpredictable range balls. In younger ages (mine included) not sure if matters a ton but if you get a good deal on them sure why.

• wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 893 ✭✭
    edited May 17, 2019 4:28pm #5

Every time we go to the range, if my kid finds a non-range ball in the bucket, he puts it in the bag. We must have over 250 balls in a box (and shag bag) at home ranging from PROV1's to Callaway to Nike to whatever. Putting we use our gamer ball. IMHO, doesn't really matter what we are hitting around the chipping green. Perhaps I am wrong and this is why we haven't dominated the 6/7/8YO junior circuit.

Post edited by wildcatden on
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,060 ✭✭

When it comes to practice balls you should use the same ball for chipping and putting as you would in tournaments. I think it helps compared to say using the practice balls at the range. Only use range balls for practicing technique and targets. Your just not going to get the same roll out those balls which means it is different.

It's easy to find a bucket of Used balls that are like the ones you use in a tournament . At the same time I would also get a bucket of the cheapest used balls for those shots where it is likely you will lose a ball when playing rounds at the home course.

• Kcct82Kcct82 Members Posts: 63 ✭✭

I got my 6 YO a 96 ball bucket of Taylormade Project (a) from lost golf balls . com. He practices everything with them except for the driving range. If I were to do it again, I’d just get a 48 bucket. Cherry pick 8 for playing on the course, 30 for the shag bag, keep 10 to replenish the bag. If it’s really that important then just add 1 dozen of fresh balls for tournaments only.

• cellywrattcellywratt Members Posts: 34 ✭✭

Thanks for the replies! Over the weekend I was able to pick up 20 Used ProV1's for $US20 and a dozen TP5's for the same price. So looking forward to getting them in the bag. It'll also be a good opportunity to test them alongside the Wilson Duo Professional as well.

• kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,908 ClubWRX

Never even thought of it. We use anything to practice and new balls for a round or tournament.

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,076 ✭✭

@kekoa said:
    Never even thought of it. We use anything to practice and new balls for a round or tournament.

Half of our shag bag are balls I've found while playing and they are typically pretty new. Old or crappy balls get busted at the range.

• MikekiMMikekiM Members Posts: 194 ✭✭

We have a tube of Callaway Tru-Vis balls we use for practicing. I like that you can watch them spin easier, and there's less chance of them getting mixed up with others. They aren't the same ball we use to play with, but doubt it really matters for us.

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,105 ✭✭

Can't beat the AJGA deal of TP5's for $28.00 a dozen. We use them for tournament or practice.

• BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 242 ✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019 6:46pm #13

I have a shagger full of clearance balls (Nike Superfar, TP Burner, Wilson 50, etc.). They behave well enough.

Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....

@heavy_hitter said:
    Can't beat the AJGA deal of TP5's for $28.00 a dozen. We use them for tournament or practice.

Sometimes they have prior year models for $14 which is a freaking steal.

• hangontighthangontight Members Posts: 553 ✭✭

We get a few dozen 4A balls from the used golf ball website. Important to have same practice balls for short game- chipping and pitching. Get a few dozen gently used Chrome Soft for $12/Doz, perfect.

• mizunoMX25mizunoMX25 Members Posts: 253 ✭✭

I buy ProV1X practice balls every time I go to my local golf store. They are what the pros hit at the local PGA event on the range. $15 a dozen for once hit ProV1X's is fantastic for the shag bag. It helps to play the same ball and know exactly what the ball does and their is no ball more consistent than Titleist ProV's although most manufacturers are pretty close these days.

Titleist TS3 10.5 GD AD IZ 6S
    TM Burner 3W
    Callaway OptiForce 5W
    818H1 3H 21*
    Srixon Z785 5-PW Aerotech i110 S
    Titleist Vokey 52F (Bent to 50)
    Callaway 54/58 PM Grind 2019
    Scotty Cameron Newport / Machine M2A