2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Do your kids only play golf?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, great info so far. I have a 8 yr old who loves to play and is pretty good. I'd like to eventually get him into some tournament play, he does a junior league on the weekends at our local club. He also loves to play soccer, football, baseball, tennis, etc etc. What advice can you give to somebody in my position? Selfishly, I want him to pursue golf first and everything else secondary. However, I want to respect what he wants to do and put his interests firsts. We generally play golf on the weekends only with other sports mixed in during the week. Also, our rule of thumb is he only gets to pick one sport per season but golf is always allowed since we pay a membership fee at our local course. Golf is kinda our thing off to the side while he is playing team sports. Am I on the right path? What are your thoughts?

Worth the listen/watch. http://m.authorstream.com/presentation/tpigreg-264945-parentnightvideo-tpi-junior-golf-parent-workshop-sports-ppt-powerpoint/

Essentially, build an athlete first. Then build the golfer. Sounds like you are on the right path.

Note: Long term the passion has to come from within.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

My boy plays golf, baseball, basketball and piano. His golf coach says the same as @wildcatden and @heavy_hitter in that you should be focused on developing a well rounded athlete before trying to specialize them into one sport. Sounds like you have that wrapped up with all of the sports that he plays and you've got your priorities straight. A lot of the [MyTPI](http://www.mytpi.com/improve-my-game "MyTPI") stuff is fantastic but you can bypass a lot of it by simply participating in lots of different sports that develop different muscles and abilities.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

I’m in the same boat, and I agree with the comments above. I keep my 6YO playing at least 1 other sport all year round while practicing/playing golf everyday at our local courses. We also have a membership at a local course where I only have to pay $50/month for unlimited balls on the grass range. Saves loads of money when you’re hitting balls almost everyday!

im9wyb0kk2xy.jpeg

I agree. Travel basketball, golf and baseball. Baseball is likely going to go first when he starts playing 18-hole events but trying not to specialize in anything until 13 or so. Even then, doubtful he’ll give up basketball and do golf year round.

Look at Koepka. I think there are 10s of Koepkas coming up. Next few decades, the days of being a a kissner or kuchar will be limited IMO. Not to say you have to play multiple sports to hit it far but I have to believe that different sports help with explosion and timing.

It is difficult to manage multiple sports assuming they’re not just playing weekly rec. My weekend: 2-day bball tourney (skipping second day afternoon games for golf tourney) and two baseball games (skipping second baseball game due to golf tourney).

I agree with the posts above. He needs to be an all around athlete. Another point I would like to emphasize is team sports also provide a different experience. Golf does have teams but not in the same way that other sports provide. You are on a team in golf but play as an 'individual' as opposed to most other sports. As an example, my son played all the sports (baseball, football, etc) up until eighth grade after which he concentrated on ice hockey (AAA level) and golf. Since ice hockey was at the highest level, he didn't touch a golf club for about 5 months each year, he did have some overlap at the transitions (we were in California so weather was not an issue). After he got absolutely hammered at a hockey tournament in Minnesota at 16 years old, he concentrated on golf at that point. The next question is did not concentrating on only golf hinder his development, I think it did a little bit, but I think he came through alright. He is playing in the NCAA Div 1 national championships next week qualifying as an individual at The Blessings in Fayetteville, Arkansas. I also think that hockey has helped his swing although he shot left handed in hockey and plays right handed golf. It came in handy in the NCAA regionals as on hole 18 in the last round, he was behind a tree, on his drive, took out his wedge, turned it upside down and hit a perfect shot left handed down the fairway to qualify by one shot, so it worked out great!

My son has not expressed interest in playing another sport but we are encouraging him to explore some outside of golf. However, non-competitively he is an avid runner, hiker, and enjoys tennis so he keeps himself in pretty awesome shape for a 9 year old. Personally, the only sports we will keep him out of are football and baseball. Football due to the injury risk and baseball due to what it has become, particularly in the south. My 9 year old does not need to be out playing a game at 9:30 on a school night.

While I completely agree with the original questions and all the responses about creating an athlete and playing multiple sports, I find it really hard as a parent and you really need to accept average play at a young age.

My son plays (Aaa/Aa) ice hockey for very competitive travel team - over the years several of his team mates have become better or moved up only because they are on the ice at least 300 days in a year - my son plays 5 months in a year and refuses to put his skates on during off season.

During school basketball season, he is shooting hoops inside the house - rather than making putts on a carpet.

This spring, , he had to play a sport in school and decided on Tennis, we figured it would not be a huge time commitment and he could miss game days for golf - he has not picked up a racquet in 4 years so will probably not play any matches.

As it turns out, he is pretty good (advantage of being athletic with good had/eye coordination), playing every match and frekking loving it - resulting in less time for golf practice.

So often this spring, he is exhausted after a tennis match and has school work thus there is no time for that short game practice which is so essential in golf.

My point - He is a decent golfer (the spring season is going okay not terrific but it is very early and it has been wet/cold), okay hockey player, scrappy tennis player and showy Basket Ball player. That said, he currently can not compete with the single sport kids. Who know what happens in the future but am concerned, my son will be a jack of all trades and master of none.

He just turned 12 and I think he will keep playing multiple sports for a few more years but there so many times this spring when I wished he was not enjoying tennis or that good at it.

I played D1 college golf, and I played every sport in the book until my Sophomore year of high school. At that point, it was 100% my decision that I wanted to give up other sports and focus on golf. It was the best decision I made, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a difficult one, and that I didn't miss the other sports. I think if my parents had forced/coerced me into quitting, I would have been sad to miss out on those experiences. I never played traveling teams with any other sports, so I guess the time constraint was never too crazy, but I think taking winters off from golf for basketball, skiing, etc, was a good thing for me mentally. I always had a net or a place to putt at my house if I wanted to. Ultimately, if your son talks about wanting to play more golf instead of X sport, take him more often and cut out some of the other stuff if need be. If he is happy playing golf on the weekends for now, stick with that too. Burnout in competitive junior and college golf is very real, so in my opinion, it really has to be something that he wants. Hope that helps.

Taylormade M2 2017 9.5 Taylormade M4 16.5 Taylormade RBZ 3 iron bent to 17.5 Taylormade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW Vokey SM5 Black 50, 54, 58 Taylormade Spider S

My son used to play organized soccer and basketball while also playing golf year around. Over the last year or so, he has dropped both the other sports on an organized level but enjoys playing both at school. First thing he puts in his back pack every morning is a basketball or soccer ball. He is good at most ball sports so I'm not sure if this is considered specializing or not. I mean there are a lot of kids out there who are flat out are uncoordinated in other sports and only play golf because its the only thing they are decent at.

Playing lots of sports is great, especially at a young age to develop all types of skills and abilities, and also later recreationally once a child has decided to focus on one sport. Mental rest and having an “offseason”, even if only for a couple weeks, is very important and healthy.

HOWEVER, anecdotally what I have found speaking with parents of elite athletes is that once they have committed to specialization, whatever age that may be, the time allocation is 90-95% primary vs 5-10% “other”. I also tend to think playing multiple sports is overrated, and more a correlation rather than a causation. (Really gifted athletes play lots of sports, because they are good at them! Playing lots of sports doesn’t make a kid a great athlete.)

This is not a knock on developing the overall athlete, but it seems that the best in any sport are going to be superior athletically no matter what they do or don’t do (genetics?) and putting in the time to grind out the detail stuff merely seals the deal. You cannot teach top 1% explosiveness, hand-eye or other things *required* to be competitive at the highest level. The stuff you can teach, alone by itself, will never make you one of the best. All IMVHO.

> @CTgolf said:

> Playing lots of sports is great, especially at a young age to develop all types of skills and abilities, and also later recreationally once a child has decided to focus on one sport. Mental rest and having an “offseason”, even if only for a couple weeks, is very important and healthy.

>

> HOWEVER, anecdotally what I have found speaking with parents of elite athletes is that once they have committed to specialization, whatever age that may be, the time allocation is 90-95% primary vs 5-10% “other”. I also tend to think playing multiple sports is overrated, and more a correlation rather than a causation. (Really gifted athletes play lots of sports, because they are good at them! Playing lots of sports doesn’t make a kid a great athlete.)

>

> This is not a knock on developing the overall athlete, but it seems that the best in any sport are going to be superior athletically no matter what they do or don’t do (genetics?) and putting in the time to grind out the detail stuff merely seals the deal. You cannot teach top 1% explosiveness, hand-eye or other things *required* to be competitive at the highest level. The stuff you can teach, alone by itself, will never make you one of the best. All IMVHO.

I actually tend to agree with you. Orthopedists will tell you, however, that there are a lot of overuse injuries in sports today because kids specialize too early in one sport. Participating in multiple sports helps strengthen muscles/ligaments/tendons that others don't strengthen.

My son pretty much started specializing at 12. Broken Finger kept him out for 2 months that year. This year Sever's kept him out 6 months.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I don't think there is a good answer to when a kid should specialize in one sport. Too many variables. For very young kids it is very easy to play a ton sports. When they get older things cost more. In some cases you just have to pick one and move on. In some cases the younger ones just do what the older kids do. Injuries are an issue but that can happen with any sport or activity you do. Plenty of kids break bones just playing on the playground never mind playing a sport.

At a certain point you will be told by a lot people if your kid is considered a very good prospect for playing at the high level. Most of these people also will talk about the long haul ahead too with ups and down. If that happens focus tend to change and get more serious.

Some parents though especially ones in golf with kids under 12 tend to over do things in my opinion. You can usually tell they play tournaments where the every shot is planned and they get mad when the kid doesn't go to plan. They also have regimented practice sessions and brag how there kid hits balls all day and talk about super human golf feats in practice. Generally speaking they also think kids playing US Kids worlds and what you place actually matters as the kids age.

> > @CTgolf said:

> >

> > HOWEVER, anecdotally what I have found speaking with parents of elite athletes is that once they have committed to specialization, whatever age that may be, the time allocation is 90-95% primary vs 5-10% “other”. I also tend to think playing multiple sports is overrated, and more a correlation rather than a causation. **(Really gifted athletes play lots of sports, because they are good at them! Playing lots of sports doesn’t make a kid a great athlete.)**

> >

Hammer meets nail here. I have coached football and basketball for a while now and you can just see the differences in kids. IMO, either a kid has the talent and speed to play college or they do not. Playing a sport like football/soccer/basketball full time is not going to change the fact that the kid is too slow to play at the next level. You can do things to help speed and athleticism but there is no magic drill or training that will take a slow kid and give them elite speed. No matter how hard I try I cannot give my players what Zion Williamson has.

Maybe through hard work and determination, a golfer can play at a higher level than their genetics allow but that is mainly because golf requires so much skill and a skill can be learned. My golfing son also plays other sports and I encourage it. Golf is a serious mental grind and I think it helps him to get away from it for a few months every year. He comes back ready to go and excited about golf.

> @CTgolf said:

> Playing lots of sports is great, especially at a young age to develop all types of skills and abilities, and also later recreationally once a child has decided to focus on one sport. Mental rest and having an “offseason”, even if only for a couple weeks, is very important and healthy.

>

> HOWEVER, anecdotally what I have found speaking with parents of elite athletes is that once they have committed to specialization, whatever age that may be, the time allocation is 90-95% primary vs 5-10% “other”. I also tend to think playing multiple sports is overrated, and more a correlation rather than a causation. (Really gifted athletes play lots of sports, because they are good at them! Playing lots of sports doesn’t make a kid a great athlete.)

>

> This is not a knock on developing the overall athlete, but it seems that the best in any sport are going to be superior athletically no matter what they do or don’t do (genetics?) and putting in the time to grind out the detail stuff merely seals the deal. You cannot teach top 1% explosiveness, hand-eye or other things *required* to be competitive at the highest level. The stuff you can teach, alone by itself, will never make you one of the best. All IMVHO.

This is dead on. There is a big overreaction when people use the stats of Division 1 Football and Basketball players playing multiple sports as a justification for almost forcing your child to play multiple sports. The reason such a high percentage of those kids played an additional sport in High School is that they were by far the best athletes in their schools and by merely showing up to the other sport they drastically helped that team. As well, a very high percentage of those secondary sports are track with skill position football players running sprints or mid distance and lineman throwing shot or discus. The reason is simple, in high school track you can out athlete 95% of your competition if you are a D-1 caliber athlete with very little training and track helps them prepare for the next level and stay in shape (and I say that as a track/cross-country coach). Primary example, this year we had a D-1 level QB at the school I coach at (2 different SEC offers so we are not talking about a low D-1 either). This young man moonlighted on our basketball team and averaged 24 points and 8 rebounds a game and does not put any focus on basketball outside of season. D-1 athletes are ATHLETES simple as that. Not saying specialization is a good thing necessarily but I think it is getting a very bad rap in the past few years based on some very cherry picked statistics.

I don’t think anyone is knocking specialization. It’s EARLY specialization. At what age does that make sense. IMO 13-14 seems to make sense. But 7-8 seems young. Maybe it’s somewhere in between. The reasoning is as follows: sure, your kid is going to go low in golf if you early specialize relative to their peers before the age of 13 bc they aren’t going to make mistakes (they’ll have much more consistent ball striking) and they’ll scramble and putt well (which is pure practice and confidence as long as you have correct technique). But other sports/activities prior to the age of 13 provide benefits that far outweigh the benefits of a perception that your child is elite prior to the age of 13 (e.g., socially and physically). You can easily spot a special basketball player before 13 or even a baseball player by the way they move or throw or overall hand/eye coordination. Even then, this doesn’t necessarily translate into high school growth and beyond. In golf, I think it is far more difficult to identify some special talent before the age of 13.

I think the other thing is remembering just because a kid is only playing one sport does not mean they are "specializing". My son only plays one sport in an organized fashion (golf); however, he is heavily involved in numerous other physical activities and we do not allow golf to completely dominate his life. As stated above specialization is in itself a tricky and loaded word.

> @yellowlover519 said:

> I don’t think anyone is knocking specialization. It’s EARLY specialization. At what age does that make sense. IMO 13-14 seems to make sense. But 7-8 seems young. Maybe it’s somewhere in between. The reasoning is as follows: sure, your kid is going to go low in golf if you early specialize relative to their peers before the age of 13 bc they aren’t going to make mistakes (they’ll have much more consistent ball striking) and they’ll scramble and putt well (which is pure practice and confidence as long as you have correct technique). But other sports/activities prior to the age of 13 provide benefits that far outweigh the benefits of a perception that your child is elite prior to the age of 13 (e.g., socially and physically). You can easily spot a special basketball player before 13 or even a baseball player by the way they move or throw or overall hand/eye coordination. Even then, this doesn’t necessarily translate into high school growth and beyond. In golf, I think it is far more difficult to identify some special talent before the age of 13.

Being a good athlete in one sport does not make you a good athlete in another sport. If it did you see a lot moe Bo Jackson out there playing pro sports. Golf requires different skills then a lot sports. The primary skill is hitting a stationary ball with a stick. You don't have to run very fast to do it either.

If you have a kid who can hit a homerun but strikes out all the time and can't get on base he may actually be a good Golfer in there since he can muder the ball.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> I think the other thing is remembering just because a kid is only playing one sport does not mean they are "specializing". My son only plays one sport in an organized fashion (golf); however, he is heavily involved in numerous other physical activities and we do not allow golf to completely dominate his life. As stated above specialization is in itself a tricky and loaded word.

It can be hard to define specialization and the repetitive stress injuries that can occur from the full golf swing on a young and growing body can be troublesome. Golf is unique that it is not a contact sport yet puts quite a level of "violence" on the back, wrists and knees no matter how good the form of the swing is. To me, if you are hitting a medium/large (80-120 balls) bucket of balls 4+ days a week every week (equates to 200+ days/year) plus tournaments 3+ weekends per month every month (not including practice rounds), then you are specializing.

Nobody made that correlation. Playing other sports help develop explosion, hand eye coordination, strength, mental toughness and a lot of other things that are beneficial to hitting that stationary ball. I agree - you can’t just play the other sports for the sake of saying you’re playing another sport. You have to be good at those other sports too or at least willing to work hard at practices.

There’s a reason why other sport athletes dominate celebrity golf tournaments.

> @wildcatden said:

> > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > I think the other thing is remembering just because a kid is only playing one sport does not mean they are "specializing". My son only plays one sport in an organized fashion (golf); however, he is heavily involved in numerous other physical activities and we do not allow golf to completely dominate his life. As stated above specialization is in itself a tricky and loaded word.

>

> It can be hard to define specialization and the repetitive stress injuries that can occur from the full golf swing on a young and growing body can be troublesome. Golf is unique that it is not a contact sport yet puts quite a level of "violence" on the back, wrists and knees no matter how good the form of the swing is. To me, if you are hitting a medium/large (80-120 balls) bucket of balls 4+ days a week every week (equates to 200+ days/year) plus tournaments 3+ weekends per month every month (not including practice rounds), then you are specializing.

>

Funny you say that, why we typically limit my 9 year old to only 3 days of full on swings a week. (1 range/lesson, 1 tournament or practice round, 1 PGA Jr. League Practice/range). We will do a day of just chipping and putting as well, if he wants to, but we try to keep things stable and controlled. Outside of that he is playing pick up basketball, running, fishing, and doing all sorts of other physical activities. I think the real danger is when we see young kids (and I know SEVERAL) who literally only do golf as their primary and sole physical activity and the rest of their time is sedentary. This is also common, from what I have seen, with young baseball players where you see a lot of the repetitive injuries you are talking about.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > @wildcatden said:

> > > @BloctonGolf11 said:

> > > I think the other thing is remembering just because a kid is only playing one sport does not mean they are "specializing". My son only plays one sport in an organized fashion (golf); however, he is heavily involved in numerous other physical activities and we do not allow golf to completely dominate his life. As stated above specialization is in itself a tricky and loaded word.

> >

> > It can be hard to define specialization and the repetitive stress injuries that can occur from the full golf swing on a young and growing body can be troublesome. Golf is unique that it is not a contact sport yet puts quite a level of "violence" on the back, wrists and knees no matter how good the form of the swing is. To me, if you are hitting a medium/large (80-120 balls) bucket of balls 4+ days a week every week (equates to 200+ days/year) plus tournaments 3+ weekends per month every month (not including practice rounds), then you are specializing.

> >

>

> Funny you say that, why we typically limit my 9 year old to only 3 days of full on swings a week. (1 range/lesson, 1 tournament or practice round, 1 PGA Jr. League Practice/range). We will do a day of just chipping and putting as well, if he wants to, but we try to keep things stable and controlled. Outside of that he is playing pick up basketball, running, fishing, and doing all sorts of other physical activities. I think the real danger is when we see young kids (and I know SEVERAL) who literally only do golf as their primary and sole physical activity and the rest of their time is sedentary. This is also common, from what I have seen, with young baseball players where you see a lot of the repetitive injuries you are talking about.

I think one key metric is whether the golf practice/tournaments are occurring year round without any breaks. Right now, it's certainly golf season and practicing at the range 4+ days/week hitting ~100 balls/day doesn't seem out of order to me. Note: We haven't practice golf at my house in a week due to baseball playoffs, but once the season ends, we'll probably be in that 4/days week of practice schedule. We are only playing 4 tournaments this summer (1 June, 1 July, 2 August) so I expect short breaks from golf during this time also.