Slope setting on Range finder got turned on by accident....

FrostfieldFrostfield Members Posts: 924 ✭✭
edited May 17, 2019 6:50pm in The Cooler - "Heated Topics" #1

So last week I'm in a tournament. My range finder has the slope option which I had turned off for the tourney. I have one of those magnetic holders velcroed around it as well. I'm using it all day as normal then I get to the 11th tee (par 3) and the freaking slope is ON. What would the ruling be? I was shocked to say the least. The guys in the group said no penalty because of no intent but I dunno. Thoughts?

Comments

• SawgrassSawgrass Members Posts: 15,003 ✭✭

Intent is not part of rule 4.3a. The issue is whether you "used" the illegal equipment. IMO the rules are not terribly explicit about what constitutes use, it can be subjective. Did you actually see the slope information, or did you simply notice that the function was switched on?

Note that the first breach is the general penalty, it's only the second breach that requires DQ.

• Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,528 ✭✭

Another good reason not to buy them.

• HaleboppHalebopp Members Posts: 2,807 ✭✭

I've been told by higher ups that as long as the player doesn't use the number in his/her decision making, the player is fine. Which leads us back to the basic assumption in the rules that everyone is acting honestly.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
    ST180, 8.5º / 917 F2, 16.5º / MP-H5, 21º / MP-4, 4-PW / MP-T5 50.07 / FG Tour PMP: 55.12, 59.10 / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link

@Halebopp said:
    I've been told by higher ups that as long as the player doesn't use the number in his/her decision making, the player is fine. Which leads us back to the basic assumption in the rules that everyone is acting honestly.

A philosophical question: Once you have seen the number, how can you avoid “using” it?

• rogolfrogolf Members Posts: 3,736 ✭✭

@Sawgrass said:

@Halebopp said:

A philosophical question: Once you have seen the number, how can you avoid “using” it?

Agree, difficult to assess, therefore rule against the player to protect the field. Intent in this case is irrelevant. Not sure where Halebopp's "higher ups" got the opinion on "using the information", but it certainly sounds very weak to me (like let's try to find a reason for this not to be a breach).

• FrostfieldFrostfield Members Posts: 924 ✭✭

@rogolf said:

@Sawgrass said:

@Halebopp said:

Agree, difficult to assess, therefore rule against the player to protect the field. Intent in this case is irrelevant. Not sure where Halebopp's "higher ups" got the opinion on "using the information", but it certainly sounds very weak to me (like let's try to find a reason for this not to be a breach).

Do you have a blue blazer?

• antipantip Members Posts: 479 ✭✭

@rogolf said:

@Sawgrass said:

@Halebopp said:

Yes, this one is a bit tricky and I don't think it is black and white. IMO, noticing that the Slope function is turned on unintentionally and gaining or using the information are not necessarily the same thing. You could find out it is on without even being in the process of looking at the target area for a shot or you could be on an entirely flat hole/course - that is, there may be no information to be had. I lean towards penalty if there is any realistic chance of needing to protect the field, but there are a range of situations where that would not seem relevant.

• Deceptively ShortDeceptively Short Members Posts: 391 ✭✭

Couldn’t this be comparable to receiving, but not having asked for, advice given illegally? The giver is penalised but the receiver isn’t even though the advice might be helpful. The advice wasn’t asked for but if it is about ‘protecting the field’ the receiver should be penalised which we we would all think unfair .

I agree it's not the perfect answer and see the difficulty in not using the information you have already gained.

Maybe you could ask the USGA?

ST180, 8.5º / 917 F2, 16.5º / MP-H5, 21º / MP-4, 4-PW / MP-T5 50.07 / FG Tour PMP: 55.12, 59.10 / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link
  • sui generissui generis Members Posts: 3,886 ✭✭

I don't find the "accidental" nature of the breach compelling. After all, a player "accidentally" moving his ball in play in the general area is a breach.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

@sui generis said:
    I don't find the "accidental" nature of the breach compelling. After all, a player "accidentally" moving his ball in play in the general area is a breach.

In that case the players action was the cause. Not in this case. Vibrating cart is all I can think of.

Just called the USGA. It should’ve been a 2 stroke penalty. Dumb rule. Needs to have intent added like the seniors and their anchoring (or lack of lol)

@Frostfield said:
    Just called the USGA. It should’ve been a 2 stroke penalty. Dumb rule. Needs to have intent added like the seniors and their anchoring (or lack of lol)

Thank you for checking and letting us know.

WITB Link
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean Members Posts: 4,001 ✭✭

@Frostfield said:

It seems that DQ is avoided because the player noticed the breach and had not actually used the illegal feature. However, I would not regard this particular response as binding to cover all situations based on some valid comments in this thread.

edited May 18, 2019 6:00pm #17

@Mr. Bean said:

@Frostfield said:

It seems that DQ is avoided because the player noticed the breach and had not actually used the illegal feature. However, I would not regard this particular response as binding to cover all situations based on some valid comments in this thread.

It technically was used. Only was noticed when ranging. First breach is 2
    Shots. 2nd breach is DQ.

I played Farmlinks in Alabama a few years ago and on one very steep drop par 3 they had the “slope” or “plays as” length from each tee written on a board. As I come from CONGU Land it didn’t make any difference for me as I wasn’t posting the round. But for you GHIN guys? What if this is your home course and you regularly benefit from this - fair?

• puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,124 ✭✭
    edited May 18, 2019 8:14pm #19

Just curious why the OP excepted his playing partners answer and not bring it up with the tournaments rules directors ? How was the
    field protected, when others in group said no penalty , card is signed and tournament is over ? The entire episode is one breach on top of another breach, etc....

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

@Deceptively Short said:
    I played Farmlinks in Alabama a few years ago and on one very steep drop par 3 they had the “slope” or “plays as” length from each tee written on a board. As I come from CONGU Land it didn’t make any difference for me as I wasn’t posting the round. But for you GHIN guys? What if this is your home course and you regularly benefit from this - fair?

Accidentally seeing a sign (that shouldn't be there) isn't a violation.

Deliberately looking at a sign (that shouldn’t be there) would be a violation?

• rogolfrogolf Members Posts: 3,736 ✭✭

IMO, the sign is displaying public information, similar to scoreboards at Tour events which show the length of players' putts.

@Frostfield said:

@Mr. Bean said:

@Frostfield said:

Shots. 2nd breach is DQ.

What I tried to say was that it was (technically) used only once, i.e. when discovering the slope function was on. However, that leaves us with the question whether the function had been on for a longer period of time or just on that 11th hole and how can a player verify that. If there is any doubt that would IMO be ruled against the player.

edited May 19, 2019 11:42am #25

@puttingmatt said:
    Just curious why the OP excepted his playing partners answer and not bring it up with the tournaments rules directors ? How was the
    field protected, when others in group said no penalty , card is signed and tournament is over ? The entire episode is one breach on top of another breach, etc....

It didn’t affect the competition because it was a fourball. My partner tied me on that hole.

@Mr. Bean said:

@Frostfield said:

@Mr. Bean said:

@Frostfield said:

Shots. 2nd breach is DQ.

What I tried to say was that it was (technically) used only once, i.e. when discovering the slope function was on. However, that leaves us with the question whether the function had been on for a longer period of time or just on that 11th hole and how can a player verify that. If there is any doubt that would IMO be ruled against the player.

When my slope is turned on it displays 2 numbers. It’s very obvious when it’s on.

• bladehunterbladehunter Rain rain go the hell away ! south carolinaMembers Posts: 26,643 ✭✭
    edited May 19, 2019 12:41pm #27

Prime reason while I’ll never buy one with slope. It trains you to need that number , and doesn’t train you to judge the elevation yourself.

I’d say if you saw the number you’d have to intentionally take more or less club and hit a bad shot , otherwise you used it.

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-pw  Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot

@bladehunter said:
    Prime reason while I’ll never buy one with slope. It trains you to need that number , and doesn’t train you to judge the elevation yourself.

I’d say if you saw the number you’d have to intentionally take more or less club and hit a bad shot , otherwise you used it.

So... if you ask for an advice and then not use it you are not in breach of R10.2 ..?

• bladehunterbladehunter Rain rain go the hell away ! south carolinaMembers Posts: 26,643 ✭✭
    edited May 19, 2019 12:48pm #29

@Mr. Bean said:

@bladehunter said:

So... if you ask for an advice and then not use it you are not in breach of R10.2 ..?

Good point. It’s is an ask for advice , even if unintentional similar to just casually saying “ man I think the winds up more than we feel , what do you think “. Sometimes said without thinking as conversation, not really expecting an exact club suggestion. So.... **** , DQ then !

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-pw  Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,528 ✭✭

@bladehunter said:

I always, at least in the year or so I've had it, turned my slope function off for events. That said I played this morning with slope on and not once noticed what it said. Even with both numbers displaying you have to want to know the second number to even notice it.

Not really pertinent to whether it should be a penalty in an event but replying to a couple posts stating that if it's turned on you will have seen it.

WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • CAT GOLFERCAT GOLFER Members Posts: 931 ✭✭

No rangefinder should have slope.