ONE trip...Bandon, Cabot Cliffs, Ireland or Scottland

CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,727 ✭✭

So I noticed in discussion with friends as we planning trips its all over the place on these 4....
IF you could one trip of the 4 listed which would you do...?

Cabot is normally lower on the list but now that CLIFFS is one of the top in the world it has changed opinions.

Comments

• James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members Posts: 427 ✭✭

Having never been to any of them, I’d go to Scotland or Ireland just to experience such a different world of golf.
    Bandon is a highly regarded place but it’s still in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere in Oregon. Cabot looks amazing and I certainly want to there, but for me the allure of the British Isles is too great.

Wish I were in a position to take any of those trips!

Golfing in Finland!
  • az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,795 ✭✭

Been to all, most several times. In Dublin right now as a matter of fact.

I’d go Ireland, Scotland, Bandon, Cabot in that order.

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,625 ✭✭

question should be scotland or england ... those are the two meccas of golf ...

• sabramsabram Members Posts: 1,536 ✭✭

I've been to all four. The discussion really needs to be limited to Scotland or Ireland. Cabot has two courses. Bandon has five courses. They are great golf RESORTS... difficult to get to and are worth visits .

Ireland and Scotland on the other hand are great Golf COUNTRIES, each with dozens of great courses with great people, culture and places to experience, which you can do even if all you do is play golf, eat and sleep. If you can only do one, I'd visit Scotland and focus on a single area or perhaps two rather than go galavanting around a country to notch your belt with only the most famous courses. There are a lot of good to excellent to world class courses jam packed into Fife and East Lothian that can meet any budget. You can do a great trip with a per round cost less than Bandon or Cabot if cost is an issue. The Old Course, Muirfield and and Kingsbarns are expensive and for TOC and Muirfield you need to make a tee time long in advance of your trip.. However, you can do a trip of a lifetime even if you don't play all of those three.
    North Berwick, Gullane #1, #2 and #3, Dunbar, Kilspindie, Lundin, Leven, Ladybank, Elie, Crail Balcomie, and the other six links trust courses at St Andrews (especially the New) would give you 20 courses to choose from without having to do any long distance driving. Spend some time in St Andrews and Edinburgh or just walk around some of the villages like North Berwick or Anstruther and you'll want to start planning your next trip the day you get home.

• Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,272 ✭✭

I've not been to Bandon or Cabot (going to Cabot this year and Bandon next), but I would pick Scotland above all the others. But it depends on who you are going with and what time of year.

• CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,727 ✭✭

Funny how its a bit different here too. I would choose Ireland as would a couple of others. Two or three would take Bandon for ease (for us) of getting there and its all golf, one or two was Scottland and mainly for the Old Course. Cabot made the list only because of Cabot Cliffs but getting there is tough and might as well go to Ireland or Scottland. Though everyone said they would go to Cabot for sure even though only having two courses.

Similar to responses here... its what you prefer, doubtful you can wrong with any of the courses. Some want all golf and nothing else, some golf and other things to do, some want history.

England never made the list interestingly.

• CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    edited May 18, 2019 3:13pm #8

@Roadking2003 said:
    I've not been to Bandon or Cabot (going to Cabot this year and Bandon next), but I would pick Scotland above all the others. But it depends on who you are going with and what time of year.

HAHAHA funny..."who" you go with is the reason our group conversation got sidewise as it was ALL over the board.

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,625 ✭✭

@CDM said:
    Funny how its a bit different here too. I would choose Ireland as would a couple of others. Two or three would take Bandon for ease (for us) of getting there and its all golf, one or two was Scottland and mainly for the Old Course. Cabot made the list only because of Cabot Cliffs but getting there is tough and might as well go to Ireland or Scottland. Though everyone said they would go to Cabot for sure even though only having two courses.

Similar to responses here... its what you prefer, doubtful you can wrong with any of the courses. Some want all golf and nothing else, some golf and other things to do, some want history.

England never made the list interestingly.

could be argued england has a deeper field than scotland ... could, mind you ... looking at top100 website and including wales, there are 12 courses in the top 100 ... scotland has 11 ... quite a few of england's are heatland courses with a bit of links flair, and some are true parkland courses ... 17/50 top courses on the britain/ireland list are scottish ... 23/50 are in england ...

• alfridayalfriday Members Posts: 471 ✭✭

Bandon if you want to fly in and do nothing but golf, eat and drink.

Scotland if you want to fly in, do some driving and golf, eat and drink.

Ireland if you want to fly in, do a lot of driving (like hours most days) and golf, eat and drink.

Don't know about Cabot.

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,671 ClubWRX
    edited May 19, 2019 9:13pm #11

Can't imagine why anyone would pick going to Oregon over Scotland or Ireland for golf with a hypothetical that is assuming you can have your choice.

And it's Scotland, not Scottland.

Wasn't Bobby Sherman in a lumberjack show that took place in Oregon?

Post edited by Hawkeye77 on
  • tacrispytacrispy Members Posts: 163 ✭✭

I have only been to Scotland, but I would go back in a second. Can't wait to get back over there.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]TM M2 '16 10.5 Projext X Hzrdus 6.5 75Gr[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Cobra F8 3wood Aldilla Tour Green XS[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Adams A7 3Hybrid Aldilla RIP Alpha XS[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z745 4-PW Project X 6.5[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 54,58 S400[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Piretti Cottonwood 2[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TM TP5 ball[/font]
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,013 ✭✭

England (I know I know, not on the list)
    Scotland
    Ireland
    Bandon
    Cabot (Not been here yet, mainly because it's just not appealing enough personally for the hike that it is)

• ParParAgainParParAgain Members Posts: 100 ✭✭

SABRAM (post #5) nailed it.
    Go hang out in** East Lothian** and play a great number of great links courses. You can blow the budget on the big names, if you are into that; You can play other great links courses for a third of the price, if you are into that. Or play some of both.

Hint: get a "day ticket" which enables you to play 2 (or more) rounds of golf per day at the same golf course: makes the golf even more pleasant and affordable. The only thing better than one nice round of golf on a great links course is the SECOND round of the day on the very same course.

• PuttCurseRepeatPuttCurseRepeat It's a ball mark repair tool. Use it! Members Posts: 827 ✭✭

I've been to none of these places, but my wish list would look something like:
    1 a/b. Ireland/Scotland (so hard to pick one over the other)
    3. Cabot

1. Bandon
      I'd like to visit Bandon but I don't think it offers the total experience value of the other destinations. I've been hearing great things about Nova Scotia lately. It supposedly has a Scottish vibe to it - maybe not surprising as it's name translates to New Scotland.
  • postfoldpostfold oh how I LOVE putting Members Posts: 360 ✭✭

Have only been to Scotland but would have it #1. Ireland a close second, dinged almost entirely for the driving. Probably Bandon over Cabot just for the sheer volume of golf.