Ping i210 in AWT 2.0 DG 105 or Modus 105?

dan00n00n

Hi Looking for advice. tried a few different irons out this year as looking to change from my Titleist AP3 with Black AMT shafts (progressive weight). I love the Ping i210 head and in the 7 iron tester (arent they all 7 irons!!), it was great with the Modus 105 and the DG 105 and they both compared well on the fitters trackman, however when I took a demo set out on the course with the DG 105, the 4 iron and 5 iron felt very light in the head. They didnt have a demo set in the AWT shafts. My fitter says he doesnt think the AWT 2.0 is a good shaft, so I didnt even test it on the machine, but I am thinking the AWT 2.0 with progressive weight will get round the long iron, light head feeling. Anyone else game the AWT 2.0 and how do they perform in the longer irons?

PS, my swing speed is about 76mph with a 7 iron, I am 3 handicap, i prefer as stiff a shaft as I can get away with to keep the dispersion tight, so wondering if dispersion also good with AWT 2.0 stiff. Anyone tried the regular, do you lose dispersion with AWT 2.0 reg?

I have i210’s with AWT 2.0 stiff and also JPX919 forged with Modus 105’s stiff. They are very similar shafts. The only difference to me is that the Modus, in the short irons feel lighter that the long irons. It’s a reverse of your concern. However I don’t feel the long irons in the AWT feel

light. If your fitter thinks the AWT isn’t a good shaft than the Modus isn’t either....

Both shaft are a product of Nippon. Set side by side they are almost identical.

Concerning DG105, that shaft feels a bit more tip stiff for its weight and when testing I don’t mind it.

If I had to choose a shaft for i210’s I would go with the AWT stiff. I think they are a bit softer and my tempo is better with them. I could play any of the 3 and be happy.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5* Diamana GT 60 S
Callaway AI Smoke Max 5W Tensei Blue 65 S

Ping G430 4H RDX Red 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-GW Modus 105S (bent 2* weak)
Callaway Jaws Raw 54* & 58*
Odyssey 5K #7 34”

AWT 2.0 is great shaft. I recommend you to test i210 with AWT 2.0 Stiff before you make the purchase. The stiff shaft plays firm flex to me.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* as 10* HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 60 S

Taylormade BRNR  UST ProForce 65 Retro Burner R

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 20*  UST MAMIYA RECOIL 75 DART S

Ping i525   5 - Gap  Ping AWT 2.0 S

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 54*/10  KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 61* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossie S Putter

Callaway 24'Chrome Tour Yellow/Titliest 24' AVX Yellow

I had the AWT in the i200s. Long irons did feel light to me and I didnt get along with them. In my current irons i have DG 120s and love the feel, mostly think its because my ideal iron shaft weight is around 115 grams. If launch and height isnt an issue in your longer irons i would go Modus 105s

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

Thanks Guys, good comments, tested out the AWT 2.0 stiff and the Modus 105 down my practice ground with a 7 iron i210 tester. The AWT 2.0 was great, got the club back square easier than the Modus and got the ball airborne, longer flight and more spin. All perfect qualities. Certainly didnt feel too stiff for a 76mph 7 iron swing. I think the AWT works best for me.

The ATW 2.0 long irons feel quite light in my opinion. There is a 10 gram weight difference between the lighter long iron shafts and the heavier short iron shafts. Modus shafts are constant weight.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Did you check the actual swing weights of the 4 and 5 irons in the set you played? I find that Ping often build sets to SW on the light side. The Modus, DG and AWT are all in the same general weight category although, as Nessism mentioned, the long iron shafts with the AWT will be lighter in the long irons. None of these shafts will likely produce a significantly heavier feel, although Dynamic Golf shafts will typically SW a touch heavier. When you order a set of irons from Ping you can always specify a heavier SW, I think that will help you achieve the feel you want.

I'm surprised your fitter dismissed the AWT, its a very good quality shaft made by Nippon. I think you would get the best dispersion with the shaft that has a flex pattern you are most comfortable with. The DG 105 will feel stiffer in the tip section than both the Modus and AWT and will probably be somewhat stiffer overall compared with the Modus. But you can firm up any of these shafts by hard stepping. If your fitter is any good he can help you fine tune shaft flex and determine what SW to go with.

I'm 83 mph 7 iron swing speed and in testing I'm concerned the AWT stiff are a little weak so I think they would be ideal for you. I'm also a fan of the AWT over the Modus because of the heavier weight in the short irons. In my opinion the AWT and Modus are very similar in the long irons and then the AWT get heavier in the short irons which is a good thing.

I know there has been a lot of discussion about this but for me, the AWT Stiff does fly slightly lower than the Modus 105 Stiff for me. I've gone back and forth on this myself but hit both outdoor recently and no question the Modus 105 flies slightly higher.

If you haven't tried it, PING also offers the Project X LZ, with your swing speed I would give the LZ 5.0 a try as well.

> @"hd.softail" said:

>

> I know there has been a lot of discussion about this but for me, **the AWT Stiff does fly slightly lower than the Modus 105 Stiff for me**. I've gone back and forth on this myself but hit both outdoor recently and no question the Modus 105 flies slightly higher.

>

Which is exactly what Ping shows in their iron shaft weight/trajectory chart, although I still don't buy that the Modus 105 flies higher than the XP95.

I know you are looking in the 105-110g weight category, but don't dismiss the DG 120. I find regular DG way too stout, but recently hit the DG 120 and really liked it. For me it was smoother than the DG 105 and even though its heavier, I found it as easy to swing as the 105. Actually found my dispersion was better with the heavier 120.

2lyhs5svfncw.png

> @Nessism said:

> The ATW 2.0 long irons feel quite light in my opinion. There is a 10 gram weight difference between the lighter long iron shafts and the heavier short iron shafts. Modus shafts are constant weight.

I agree with Nessism. My 4 and 5 felt a little too light with the awt 2.0. Easy fix though. I really like the awt 2.0, but have moved on due to elbow issues.

> @"Little Ned" said:

> I'm looking at a set of clubs with Modus 105 Stiffs. The owner says "Even though they say stiff, they feel like they play in between stiff and regular."

>

> Can anyone attest to this?

Stiff is stiff. They play like stiffs. They may 'feel' a little soft to some people but they still play like stiffs.

I have stiffs, and I soft stepped them once. Much better for me IMO so like an R+. YMMV of course.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @"Little Ned" said:

> I'm looking at a set of clubs with Modus 105 Stiffs. The owner says "Even though they say stiff, they feel like they play in between stiff and regular."

>

> Can anyone attest to this?

Yes, this is correct. Modus 105 plays softer to flex than some older type shafts such as Dynamic Gold or KBS Tour for example. The trend with iron shafts overall is toward a little softer. You can see this in the butt flex frequency: DG and KBS Tour in stiff are about 320 cpm. Modus 105 S about 300.

https://www.titleist.com/fitting/golf-club-fitting/golf-shafts

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I'll add to this... I hard-stepped them, and they lost their mojo. They just flatly didn't fit me... they lure you in on the practice range because they're easy high bananas. You get out there and they, for me at least, went too damn high. If I have to play in really cold conditions, I might bust 'em out, but they are definitely a "rhythm" shaft that whips and makes a high, high ball.

Some guys are going to absolutely love it. I thought I needed a higher ball playing down at sea level, but it turns out this was not it. If you play in the wind, you're just rolling the dice if you can hit a ball. If you're trying to eek out height at any cost, they are fab-o. Just make sure that if you're hitting a good ball, and you test these on the range, smash a few in anger. A little adrenaline on these, and you might see a flight that is very different from a range session metronome swing.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.