Second most successful putter in the modern era? Koepka's Buttonback After Tiger's Newport Two.

MudguardMudguard Members Posts: 1,266 ✭✭
edited May 20, 2019 6:51am in Putters #1

So I was pondering this today. Tiger has won all but one major with the same putter, now Koepka has won four with his. Who else has won multiple majors using the same putter in the modern era?

Comments

  • RRHRRH Members Posts: 311 ✭✭

    Spieth I believe?

  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,596 ✭✭

    i mean, successful with non-majors...gotta go with snedeker's rossie. made him a ton of money, seen a ton of majors, ryder/pres cups...

    Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set +1/D) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5" OR Kombi-S / 35.5"

  • md_muellermd_mueller Members Posts: 77 ✭✭

    A subjective ranking of tour players' putters success in the last 20-25 years:

    1) Tiger's NP 2
    2) Spieth's 009
    3) Koepka's Buttonback
    4) Zach Johnson's Seemore
    5) Stricker's white hot 2
    6) Snedeker's Rossie

  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,596 ✭✭

    further -- should we look at crenshaw's putter?

    Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set +1/D) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5" OR Kombi-S / 35.5"

  • md_muellermd_mueller Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited May 20, 2019 7:36pm #6

    Thought about Crenshaw and Faxon, but decided they are considered prior generation at this point. One I forgot about would be Jason Day's red Spyder tour, but I have no clue it's the same one through the last few years. Same for Kuchar's armlock. Those two are probably honorable mentions for this generation.

  • joliver233joliver233 Members Posts: 339 ✭✭

    @md_mueller said:
    Thought about Crenshaw and Faxon, but decided they are considered prior generation at this point. One I forgot about would be Jason Day's red Spyder tour, but I have no clue it's the same one through the last few years. Same for Kuchar's armlock. Those two are probably honorable mentions for this generation.

    If we're not talking about the same player, Day, DJ, Sergio all won with Spider Tours if I'm not mistaken.

    WITB:

    D: 9* G400 LST w/Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05/X
    3W: 14.5* Cobra F8+ w/Even Flow Blue X
    Irons: 716 AP2 3-PW w/KBS C-Taper S+
    Wedges: 50* SM6; 54* S-Grind, 58* X-Grind MD4 w/DG s400
    Putter: Bettinardi BB29
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
  • JunkerJorgeJunkerJorge Members Posts: 283 ✭✭

    Did he start hitting off the tee with his buttonback? :p

  • JackpotJohnnyJackpotJohnny Members Posts: 2,504 ✭✭

    I really hope this becomes true, I’ve got one in the closet

  • MudguardMudguard Members Posts: 1,266 ✭✭

    Did he use the same one for all three?> @JackpotJohnny said:

    I really hope this becomes true, I’ve got one in the closet

    A Buttonback T10?
    I was trying to google image the others to see if they had the same putters in the bag for their different majors.

  • FlyOverFlyOver SoCalMembers Posts: 394 ✭✭

    @JunkerJorge said:
    Did he start hitting off the tee with his buttonback? :p

    I wouldn’t put it past Koepka though to be able to drive it 200 yards with his Buttonback though.

    Taylormade M6 9.0 loft-GD AD IZ 7S shaft
    Taylormade M6 3W-GD AD IZ 8S shaft
    Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid-Tensei Blue stiff 19*
    Honma TW 747v forged 4-10 irons-Modus 105 stiff shafts
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50* F Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 54* C Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 58* C Grind
    Scotty Cameron modified Detour Newport 2 putter
    Scotty Cameron Black Mist Notchback Putter
    Titleist yellow ProV1X 
  • BYKBYK Members Posts: 1,659 ✭✭

    @Mudguard said:
    Did he use the same one for all three?> @JackpotJohnny said:

    I really hope this becomes true, I’ve got one in the closet

    A Buttonback T10?
    I was trying to google image the others to see if they had the same putters in the bag for their different majors.

    Yes
    he has had the same T10 button back in his bag for all his major wins

    Yadi for President
  • JunkerJorgeJunkerJorge Members Posts: 283 ✭✭

    @FlyOver said:

    @JunkerJorge said:
    Did he start hitting off the tee with his buttonback? :p

    I wouldn’t put it past Koepka though to be able to drive it 200 yards with his Buttonback though.

    Ha. Probably. With a little butter cut.

    Last I saw he was like in the 90s in strokes gained putting. To be fair he seems pretty uninterested in non majors, but I’m not sure it’s the buttonback that’s doing the damage.

  • denvergolfdenvergolf Castle Pines, COMembers Posts: 1,530 ✭✭

    Phil has at least used the same style of putter for his career

    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero TD - 9* Black Smoke 6.5 - 70
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero - 15* Black Smoke 6.5 - 80
    TaylorMade M3 20* Hybrid, Kuro Kage XT 100TX
    TaylorMade P.7TW, 4-W, DG Tour Issue X100
    Cleveland RTX 4 Raw, 52-mid, 56-mid, and 60-low
    Titleist Cameron Tour Rat 1-M 
    2019 TM TP5x
  • KRW59KRW59 Hoarder Members Posts: 868 ✭✭

    @denvergolf said:
    Phil has at least used the same style of putter for his career

    Let's not forget.....Phil won at least once with a lefty version of this face balanced
    contraption. If I remember correctly he also had some input on the design....

    .

    Cobra King F9 10.5* / Fuji Speeder Evo IV  569-SR
    TEE EX10 Beta 16.5* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 5-SR
    TEE EX10 19* / Fuji Platinum Speeder 6-S
    TEE EX9 22* / Attas 4U 7-S.
    TEE EX9 25* / Attas 4U 7-X
    I have added about 10 grams of weight to all the fwy / hybrid
    shafts , using Sensicore inserts wrapped with lead tape.

    Cobra Forged Tec Black / 28* 6 iron thru 49.5* GW / 4.5* gapping
    Recoil 780 Es Smac wrap F3 / GW shaft internally weighted to 95 grams

    King Black Wedges / 54* versatile/ Recoil 95 F3 shaft weighted to 110 grams
    58* versatile / Recoil 110 F4 shaft weighted to 125 grams ( heat shrink tube )

    Piretti 1/1 GSS High Toe Potenza II or Piretti 1 of 2 GSS Capri

    Flask - Crown Black
  • M4TTM4TT EnglandMembers Posts: 1,418 ✭✭

    Let's not forget he switched putters. Who knows if the same one was used for all 4?

    TAYLORMADE M3 HZRDUS YELLOW 6.5
    COBRA F8 19* HZRDUS BLACK 6.5
    CALLAWAY XR PRO 23* PX 6.0
    TAYLORMADE R9 TP 5 IRON KBS S
    TAYLORMADE MC 6-PW KBS S TITLEIST SM6 52, 56
    SCOTTY CAMERON CUSTOM STAMPED BLACK 2018 NEWPORT
    TITLEIST PROV1 X
    CLICGEAR 3.5
    SRIXON ZFOUR CAMO BAG


  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers Posts: 2,384 ✭✭

    @M4TT said:
    Let's not forget he switched putters. Who knows if the same one was used for all 4?

    I just saw that on instagram was going to post it.

    • Taylormade M3 8.5* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
Sign In or Register to comment.