What up with Rory?

tsecor

It's 5 years since Rory has won a major. Obviously he is having a great year with 9 top 10's in 11 events entered, 3rd on the $$ list but his putting is still atrocious. But is this Superstar's career beginning to become average? or is he still on the path of all time greatness? We have to ask, What is up with Rory?

He has major motivation issues IMO. Someone in his position talking about "Golf doesn't define me as a person" or "I am not defined by my scores" is clearly having sort of an existential crisis. While it is technically true that golf is not exactly important in the grand scheme of life... it's weird for someone of Rory's status to point that out. His own Twitter account description, for a long time now, reads: "I hit a little white ball around a field sometimes". That speaks volumes.

• Like 1

I wondered when this would start again. Yes the Players isn't a major but it was a great performance proving he is more than capable. The Masters is a tricky one, it sets up perfectly for him but now the gravity of a win there is huge. Rory like everyone was behind the 8-ball after round 1 this week. I'm going to wait and see how he does at Pebble and Portrush.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Rory doesn't have Koepka's mentality. He gets off to a bad start in a major, and then finds his way into a back door top 10 - (T9 this week) - because he still has so much talent.

I've gotten used to this version of Rory. It is what it is. I still really like to watch him play. I don't expect any more majors from him because I don't expect that he will ever putt again as he did when he was younger.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @gvogel said:

> Rory doesn't have Koepka's mentality. He gets off to a bad start in a major, and then finds his way into a back door top 10 - (T9 this week) - because he still has so much talent.

>

> I've gotten used to this version of Rory. It is what it is. I still really like to watch him play. I don't expect any more majors from him because I don't expect that he will ever putt again as he did when he was younger.

Brooks has a girlfriend - winning.

Rors is married - not winning as much.

IMO Rory was always defined as a GOLFER, a Superstar, an International Phenom. I think that is why he surrounded himself with so many people he trusts, like his caddy. While he may not have the quintessential inner circle to deal with all things golf, he and Spieth surrounded themselves with people they know they can trust and get the business end taken care of. I think that has taken Rory quite a long time to put together. His play this year has shown he is probably the most talented guy on tour, but his putter keeps him from winning a lot more than he does. if he could putt he would have six majors by now. His marriage has nothing to do with his bad rounds. That is just silly imo

> @tsecor said:

> IMO Rory was always defined as a GOLFER, a Superstar, an International Phenom. I think that is why he surrounded himself with so many people he trusts, like his caddy. While he may not have the quintessential inner circle to deal with all things golf, he and Spieth surrounded themselves with people they know they can trust and get the business end taken care of. I think that has taken Rory quite a long time to put together. His play this year has shown he is probably the most talented guy on tour, but his putter keeps him from winning a lot more than he does. if he could putt he would have six majors by now. His marriage has nothing to do with his bad rounds. That is just silly imo

At the moment, I think that Brooks is the most talented guy on tour. I expect him to start winning a regular tournament now and then, especially on the harder courses where his game shines, such as the Memorial.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @tsecor said:

> IMO Rory was always defined as a GOLFER, a Superstar, an International Phenom. I think that is why he surrounded himself with so many people he trusts, like his caddy. While he may not have the quintessential inner circle to deal with all things golf, he and Spieth surrounded themselves with people they know they can trust and get the business end taken care of. I think that has taken Rory quite a long time to put together. His play this year has shown he is probably the most talented guy on tour, but his putter keeps him from winning a lot more than he does. if he could putt he would have six majors by now. His marriage has nothing to do with his bad rounds. That is just silly imo

Jordan Spieth - married - status of his game prior to the PGA?

Not too good.

It's hard to win Majors. There are other very good golfers trying just as hard as he is. Koepka busts out with 63-65 and people are wondering what's wrong with Rory? Halfway through the Tournament and most every guy out there felt like they were out of it. Rory's "B" game is good enough to net top 10's. He needs to bring his "A" game and get off to a good start so that he feels that he's in it. He's one of the few guys out there that can hang with Koepka as far as talent goes.

It seems all these guys play great golf until they "make" it and get their big endorsement deals. It could just be coincidence but I think once they have financial security, their life priorities change and winning golf tournaments isn't the #1 item on the list. This could be the breakout win for Brooks, it will be interesting to see if how he responds once he's got some huge big endorsement deals to fall back on. Seems Rory is content with playing good enough golf to finish Top 10, at least that's how he acts when he's interviewed.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I actually think the big problem with Rory is his caddy .. He switched over to his "friend" Harry and I think a pro caddy is the difference between winning and top 10's... Some of these guys think they don't need a pro caddy ... but a great caddy is more than someone who pulls clubs and gets numbers... They know what to say and when to say it..

I think that's why he is playing so well. He is growing into a good caddy and Rory trusts him> @Turbosnake said:

> I actually think the big problem with Rory is his caddy .. He switched over to his "friend" Harry and I think a pro caddy is the difference between winning and top 10's... Some of these guys think they don't need a pro caddy ... but a great caddy is more than someone who pulls clubs and gets numbers... They know what to say and when to say it..

> @Bluefan75 said:

> He's actually started playing better since he got married. It was the stretch between dumping Wozniacki and getting married where he really took a nose dive(for his talent level that is).

Disagree on that point. He dumped Caroline and then proceeded to win the BMW PGA at Wentworth, the Open, Firestone and the PGA. He tailed off (relatively speaking) 2015 onwards long after Caroline was gone.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Jack and Tiger curb stomped the world while married...while the latter had a “different” version of marriage...

Vijay had his original wife when he won 9 in 2004...

Humans are genetically inclined to find a partner [for the cave] and stats prove this out...

Call me a prude but I’m a staunch believer in [monogamous] marriage in any form...

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

> @GoGoErky said:

> He’s still young and has great game up til the green which has always been the case. **He has other priorities which put golf almost on the back burner**. He can get hot and have some big weeks in the future

Modelling, bodybuilding or the Unified Field Theory? What possible other priorities could he have? Don't say wife cause most people have those and go about their business just fine.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

Umm. he is not very good at putting...

• Like 2

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @new2g0lf said:

> It seems all these guys play great golf until they "make" it and get their big endorsement deals. It could just be coincidence but I think once they have financial security, their life priorities change and winning golf tournaments isn't the #1 item on the list. This could be the breakout win for Brooks, it will be interesting to see if how he responds once he's got some huge big endorsement deals to fall back on. Seems Rory is content with playing good enough golf to finish Top 10, at least that's how he acts when he's interviewed.

I agree.....a player gets hot and the talking heads anoint him as the next Tiger. After securing a huge endorsement deal, he starts to lose the edge and no longer appears hungry to go after wins.....just looking like he's going thru the motions.....there's less incentive when you're already guaranteed millions. The past 7-8 years are replete with examples.....Rory, Spieth, Day, DJ, JT. I think another part of the problem is that the talking heads are so desperate for the next Tiger figure that they throw these guys up on a pedestal, and suddenly the expectation is that they win everything. I was listening to Chamblee on Saturday night, and he was saying that Brooks is playing like Tiger of 2000-2001......WHAT????!!!!!!

> @rafal said:

> > @GoGoErky said:

> > He’s still young and has great game up til the green which has always been the case. **He has other priorities which put golf almost on the back burner**. He can get hot and have some big weeks in the future

>

> Modelling, bodybuilding or the Unified Field Theory? What possible other priorities could he have? Don't say wife cause most people have those and go about their business just fine.

What one may consider priorities others don’t. He prefers to spend more time at home and with the wife, nothing wrong with that and theres plenty of guys who play early so they can get home to the family and do family things.

He’s pretty much giving up his euro tour card by playing less events there because he wants to be at home. Golf or playing at the level of the young Rory aren’t his priorities right now.

• Like 2

and Jack used to fly back to see his family in between rounds on many occasions.....tiger...well....he did other things....Rory is a grounded person it seems and I'm sure he is fully invested in his game....as an international ambassador for the game, it must get overwhelming> @Christosterone said:

> Jack and Tiger curb stomped the world while married...while the latter had a “different” version of marriage...

> Vijay had his original wife when he won 9 in 2004...

>

> Humans are genetically inclined to find a partner [for the cave] and stats prove this out...

>

> Call me a prude but I’m a staunch believer in [monogamous] marriage in any form...

>

> -Chris

Distance control.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

> @Bye said:

> Distance control.

Direction control as well. Every time he swings and has that straight arm finish, I immediately start face palming without even following the shot because I know it probably won’t even be on the green with a wedge. He is one of the best at releasing the golf club, why in the world would you want to change your release???‍♂️