2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

KBS C-Taper Shafts, anybody using them?

Andus

I just bought another new set of irons and was fit (by mizuno swing analyzer) into the KBS C-Taper shafts S+ but I decided to go Stiff hard stepped instead. SS with a 6 iron is 96-97MPH and carry my JPX919 Tour 185-190.

My current irons have the Modus 120 X in them and I wanted to know if anybody has played both and if there are any distinct differences that you notice.

Thanks!

TaylorMade SIM 10.5* - HZRDUS "Hulk" PVD Green 70 6.0

TaylorMade SIM Max 15* - GD AD-DI 7x

Callaway Mavrik Pro 20* Hybrid - GD AD-DI 85x

TaylorMade P770 4-5 - Project X 6.0

TaylorMade P7MC 6-PW - Project X 6.0

Mizuno T20 50*, 55*, 60* - TI S400

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Pro V1x

What is your spin with the 6i? My 6i SS is 92-93 and I carry it 185-190 as well, but I play the 900T with a LZ 6.5.

I haven't played the 120x, but have play the c-taper s, c-taper lite x, and c-taper lite x soft stepped. I moved away from the c-taper stiff due to too much spin and really liked the c-taper lite X, but wanted something a bit heavier.

6i spin is usually right around 6K, maybe a tad over on average. I feel like the 120x nippon is higher spinning for me. The shaft is advertised as a mid-low launch and spin vs the C-Taper which is low-low. Hoping to get a more penetrating flight with the new shafts

Pro V1x

> @tbone18 said:

> modus 120x will spin much more than the c-tapers. the only bad thing about the c-taper is it has a very harsh feel on mis hits.

If that's the worst of it, then I think I'll love them. I struggle constantly with too much spin so a decrease of 5-10% would be nice.

Pro V1x

I play the kbs c-taper 120x in 4-pw in Callaway rogue pro. 120s in 52,56,60 vokey sm7. I can’t tell you what a game changer they have been for me. I flight the ball perfect now, no more ballooning and I can control my flight. My yardages:

Pw- 140

9- 152

8- 165

7- 175

6- 185

5- 195

4- 205

All easy swinging off the deck, off the tee I can add 5 yds, 4- maybe 220 total.

I can still spin the ball back when needed, but I don’t have to worry about back pins as I can one hop stop.

The wedges have been beyond my expectations, I hit them longer with same spin and I can control 3/4 shots easily. Pitches are more accurate than I have ever hit them. Chipping is a little stiffs but I’ve gotten used to it.

I tried the modus and I ballooned them vs the c-taper 120. I come from being a lifelong x100 guy and I don’t think I’ll be switching shafts until I can’t hit them anymore.

> @Pittknife said:

> I play the kbs c-taper 120x in 4-pw in Callaway rogue pro. 120s in 52,56,60 vokey sm7. I can’t tell you what a game changer they have been for me. I flight the ball perfect now, no more ballooning and I can control my flight. My yardages:

> Pw- 140

> 9- 152

> 8- 165

> 7- 175

> 6- 185

> 5- 195

> 4- 205

>

> All easy swinging off the deck, off the tee I can add 5 yds, 4- maybe 220 total.

>

> I can still spin the ball back when needed, but I don’t have to worry about back pins as I can one hop stop.

>

> The wedges have been beyond my expectations, I hit them longer with same spin and I can control 3/4 shots easily. Pitches are more accurate than I have ever hit them. Chipping is a little stiffs but I’ve gotten used to it.

>

> I tried the modus and I ballooned them vs the c-taper 120. I come from being a lifelong x100 guy and I don’t think I’ll be switching shafts until I can’t hit them anymore.

Perfect, that's what I was hoping to hear. I balloon the Modus 120 so bad in the slightest wind, so you add a 5-10 MPH wind and I lost 2 clubs of distance. Just hoping to keep flight and spin a bit lower with added control/accuracy.

Pro V1x

> @Pittknife said:

> I play the kbs c-taper 120x in 4-pw in Callaway rogue pro. 120s in 52,56,60 vokey sm7. I can’t tell you what a game changer they have been for me. I flight the ball perfect now, no more ballooning and I can control my flight. My yardages:

> Pw- 140

> 9- 152

> 8- 165

> 7- 175

> 6- 185

> 5- 195

> 4- 205

>

> All easy swinging off the deck, off the tee I can add 5 yds, 4- maybe 220 total.

>

> I can still spin the ball back when needed, but I don’t have to worry about back pins as I can one hop stop.

>

> The wedges have been beyond my expectations, I hit them longer with same spin and I can control 3/4 shots easily. Pitches are more accurate than I have ever hit them. Chipping is a little stiffs but I’ve gotten used to it.

>

> I tried the modus and I ballooned them vs the c-taper 120. I come from being a lifelong x100 guy and I don’t think I’ll be switching shafts until I can’t hit them anymore.

How did you find the weight difference between the 120 and x1? Ball.flihjt between the two? I have played x1 for 20 years. I really want c tapers in my next set but seems no one offers the S+. So it's S. Not even considering the X!!

Be careful if you are a digger, or practice off mats. Lots of people having problems with the shafts bending in the hosels. If you are more of a sweeper, it shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I've tested the C Tapers many times and always put up identical numbers to the S300. They are low launch low spin shafts. The lowest of all mainstream offerings

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I've currently got C-Tapers in my JPX 900 Forged. They're Stiff but they're Hard Stepped.

I've got an appointment with my local club repair/fitting guy to see if they are still the shafts for me. When I first was fit into that set up I was in my early 20s and was working out 6 days a week and playing a TON. I was swinging a driver at 115+ without breaking a sweat.

Now I'm a working professional who is lucky to get 27 holes a week in and I'm at like 113 if I really step on it... I just feel like my spin is not high enough and the harshness on miss hits (which are much more common than they used to be) is starting to get old.

> @Andus said:

> > @Pittknife said:

> > I play the kbs c-taper 120x in 4-pw in Callaway rogue pro. 120s in 52,56,60 vokey sm7. I can’t tell you what a game changer they have been for me. I flight the ball perfect now, no more ballooning and I can control my flight. My yardages:

> > Pw- 140

> > 9- 152

> > 8- 165

> > 7- 175

> > 6- 185

> > 5- 195

> > 4- 205

> >

> > All easy swinging off the deck, off the tee I can add 5 yds, 4- maybe 220 total.

> >

> > I can still spin the ball back when needed, but I don’t have to worry about back pins as I can one hop stop.

> >

> > The wedges have been beyond my expectations, I hit them longer with same spin and I can control 3/4 shots easily. Pitches are more accurate than I have ever hit them. Chipping is a little stiffs but I’ve gotten used to it.

> >

> > I tried the modus and I ballooned them vs the c-taper 120. I come from being a lifelong x100 guy and I don’t think I’ll be switching shafts until I can’t hit them anymore.

>

> Perfect, that's what I was hoping to hear. I balloon the Modus 120 so bad in the slightest wind, so you add a 5-10 MPH wind and I lost 2 clubs of distance. Just hoping to keep flight and spin a bit lower with added control/accuracy.

So I had the same issues with my old shafts ttx100, into wind I would ballon it, I’m probably losing half the distance into wind. It is also I can hit 3/4 knockdowns that don’t ballon. It’s just a perfect shaft for me. I really really recommend considering to put them into your wedges, I have 52,56,60. My coach was worried about my 60-30yd pitches but I hit them same height and more consistent. We were worried about spin and height but that hasn’t changed. The 3/4 shots is where I noticed the biggest difference, I can flight a low punch wedge or 3/4 choke down and where I might have dropped a shoulder a little before the shaft is so stable it keeps me through the shot.

I’m just not a project x or nippon guy, struggles with the regular kbs. The c-taper 120 is a completely different shaft. But that’s just for me, you’ll have to test them out.

> @"mizuno player" said:

> > @Pittknife said:

> > I play the kbs c-taper 120x in 4-pw in Callaway rogue pro. 120s in 52,56,60 vokey sm7. I can’t tell you what a game changer they have been for me. I flight the ball perfect now, no more ballooning and I can control my flight. My yardages:

> > Pw- 140

> > 9- 152

> > 8- 165

> > 7- 175

> > 6- 185

> > 5- 195

> > 4- 205

> >

> > All easy swinging off the deck, off the tee I can add 5 yds, 4- maybe 220 total.

> >

> > I can still spin the ball back when needed, but I don’t have to worry about back pins as I can one hop stop.

> >

> > The wedges have been beyond my expectations, I hit them longer with same spin and I can control 3/4 shots easily. Pitches are more accurate than I have ever hit them. Chipping is a little stiffs but I’ve gotten used to it.

> >

> > I tried the modus and I ballooned them vs the c-taper 120. I come from being a lifelong x100 guy and I don’t think I’ll be switching shafts until I can’t hit them anymore.

>

> How did you find the weight difference between the 120 and x1? Ball.flihjt between the two? I have played x1 for 20 years. I really want c tapers in my next set but seems no one offers the S+. So it's S. Not even considering the X!!

The stability is way different. The x100 feels heavy and it is still whippy to me where when I get after it I can still lag and ballon shots. I played x100 since college.

The c-taper 120 feels lighter but stiffer throughout, it is super stable and not whippy. You will see right away with the ball flight. It’s piercing but you can still spin it. Full shot to even pitches it’s the most stable shaft I’ve ever hit. It won’t ballon like x100.

This isn’t a performance benefit by the finish is my absolute favorite, I love the dull matte brush satin, I hate chrome. I took my irons and beadblasted them dark grey because of how much I hate chrome...

Go try it in any head, that should get you a feel wise. Not sure if the s+ vs S is a big difference. I would just get the s. I have 120s in my wedges and I can’t really tell the difference.

The ctapers will definitely knock off some spin vs the modus. Dont forget the c-tapers are slightly counterbalanced. My numbers are similar to yours but i also play longer than standard (im 6-4”) and the counterbalance is very nice to have to help swing weighting longer than standard clubs

I have a 120S in my 2 iron, and whilst it is a nice shaft, there are a couple of caveats - 1) as mentioned, feel on mishits is horrible. As in, worse than my Bladed 1 iron horrible. 2) If you have Golfer's Elbow they **will** inflame it. I can beat balls all day with my S400's, 10 shots with the C-Taper and it is already aching.

With those in mind I'm sticking to S400 in future, as on top of those I prefer the feel and get a better ball flight. Worth a try though.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Ok, personally I like knowing when I didn’t hit a shot very well. I currently play the MP18 MB with the Modus 120 X and can definitely tell when I didn’t find the middle. Interested to see how much harsher the KBS C Taper as a lot of people have said that they’re horrible on mishits.

Pro V1x

> @Andus said:

> Ok, personally I like knowing when I didn’t hit a shot very well. I currently play the MP18 MB with the Modus 120 X and can definitely tell when I didn’t find the middle. Interested to see how much harsher the KBS C Taper as a lot of people have said that they’re horrible on mishits.

I don't think they are harsher than any of the other heavier shafts, it's probably the fact that players that are fit in these will generally use a smaller players head which should feel bad on off center (they are not very forgiving). Any of the additional hardness comes from the lighter but stiffer feel. I actually quite like it.

Any mishit feels harsh. That’s why it is called a mishit...

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide