2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Looking for feedback on V sole of the Srixon irons

2717B

It's great if you tend to take big divots. For me, I got the best feeling through the turf I've ever had. If you are very shallow and don't take much of a divot with your irons you may find you hit them thin. Get fit if you're going Srixon though - they are VERY low spin. I had to sell mine.

• Like 1

It’s the same as Bridgestone has done with some of their irons. I had the J40 DPCs and they had the cambered sole. Probably one of the best sets of irons ever made. I believe the benefit was to have a somewhat narrow sole that had some attributes of a wider sole. If you’re a good ball striker it doesn’t really matter about the sole but a wider sole or a cambered sole can offer some help on SLIGHTLY chubby shots.

I absolutely love my z765s. I will echo the statement that slightly fat shots will lose next to no distance. The V sole Is awesome for turf interaction for me. Only person I know that hasn’t enjoyed the v sole is extremely shallow and rarely takes a divot at all. For him thin shots were a problem. I personally think unless you are extremely shallow you should have no issues with the v sole.

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

i've played mine (both 785s and when i had 745s) on both firm and soft conditions and they excel in both; however turf interaction is better actually on firmer surfaces. if you're steep you're still going to take a decent size divot in wetter/softer conditions -- no way around that.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

The sole has been great for my iron game. I naturally come down into the back of the ball pretty aggressively. The sole just glides thru and performance is great. Echo to what others have said, if you are a shallow swinger, these might not work. Also - the incredibly low spin comments? I have not seen that. Spin on my irons is about 700rpm less than iron number (9i=8300, etc).

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

love the way my irons help with reducing the amount of turf I take as I am pretty steep AoA. They also reduce the impact on my wrists and elbows

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

I would suggest that fear of low-spin from V.sole irons may relate more to the shaft than the head.

As for V.sole itself, I've tried the Z545, Z565, Z745 and Z765 off turf at several demo days. I'm a medium-divot guy, and I got good turf interaction. What I liked best was V.sole didn't seem to hang up as much if I came in a little heavy. This is problem for me if iron has flat sole and sharp leading edge.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @ChipNRun said:

> I would suggest that fear of low-spin from V.sole irons may relate more to the shaft than the head.

>

> As for V.sole itself, I've tried the Z545, Z565, Z745 and Z765 off turf at several demo days. I'm a medium-divot guy, and I got good turf interaction. What I liked best was V.sole didn't seem to hang up as much if I came in a little heavy. This is problem for me if iron has flat sole and sharp leading edge.

The low spin is pretty much confirmed from any tests you watch. My local store said the same. TXG the same. They are lower spinning than many other sets. 1000 rpm lower than AP2. I get more spin with a 6 iron AP2 (30 degrees) than a 32 degree 765 7 iron with the same shaft.

When I first got my 745s I was concerned about the sole width and thickness, but it quickly proved beneficial and I got used to them in no time. Having gone to a thinner soled iron so far this year every once in a while I'm finding I'll catch one a little heavy that wouldn't have been an issue with the Vsole. It works IMO.

New V sole user. I pick the ball pretty clean, irons and wedges alike. I’m only a few hundred balls in on my z585’s and am not sure on these just yet.., and I was fitted.

Hitting off grass is so much more important than indoor mats. However, I still like the fitting process for the data reference you get. And when you live in Canada, we don’t have a ton of outdoor grass time or OEM’s who do regular demo days, when your looking for a set of irons in the winter.

That being said, a good swing is a good swing, and these launch and middle just fine when I’m on top of things. My miss is a thin miss however, but it has always been this way with other clubs.

I’m kind of wishing I went for the thinner z785 instead, or something thinner overall. I’ll play them for the remainder of the season and see how I’ve managed to get along with them. If not, we’ll move on and take a bath.

> @2717B said:

> I take a very shallow divot....almost pick the ball. Should I be concerned about purchasing these? I can demo them on the course, but a day or two of demo isn't always reflective of what I will encounter over a season. I was impressed with how the 785's felt in the store!

I am also a picker/sweeper and have had no issue catching these thin. In fact, I’d argue the V sole has helped me in the regard.

> @endy said:

> > @2717B said:

> > I take a very shallow divot....almost pick the ball. Should I be concerned about purchasing these? I can demo them on the course, but a day or two of demo isn't always reflective of what I will encounter over a season. I was impressed with how the 785's felt in the store!

>

> I am also a picker/sweeper and have had no issue catching these thin. In fact, I’d argue the V sole has helped me in the regard.

Same, these Irons are perfect for me.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @ChipNRun said:

> > I would suggest that fear of low-spin from V.sole irons may relate more to the shaft than the head.

> >

> > As for V.sole itself, I've tried the Z545, Z565, Z745 and Z765 off turf at several demo days. I'm a medium-divot guy, and I got good turf interaction. What I liked best was V.sole didn't seem to hang up as much if I came in a little heavy. This is problem for me if iron has flat sole and sharp leading edge.

>

> The low spin is pretty much confirmed from any tests you watch. My local store said the same. TXG the same. They are lower spinning than many other sets. 1000 rpm lower than AP2. I get more spin with a 6 iron AP2 (30 degrees) than a 32 degree 765 7 iron with the same shaft.

Almost all of those tests are off mats. I wonder if for whatever reason the v-sole produces slightly lower spin off mats. I'm on srixon set number 4 or 5 and have never had issues holding greens. I spin the 6i in the 5300 range (off a mat) which is totally fine given how they launch and that its a 28* loft.

> @endy said:

> > @2717B said:

> > I take a very shallow divot....almost pick the ball. Should I be concerned about purchasing these? I can demo them on the course, but a day or two of demo isn't always reflective of what I will encounter over a season. I was impressed with how the 785's felt in the store!

>

> I am also a picker/sweeper and have had no issue catching these thin. In fact, I’d argue the V sole has helped me in the regard.

Same, ultimately they are very forgiving on low strikes anyway.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @ChipNRun said:

> > I would suggest that fear of low-spin from V.sole irons may relate more to the shaft than the head.

> >

> > As for V.sole itself, I've tried the Z545, Z565, Z745 and Z765 off turf at several demo days. I'm a medium-divot guy, and I got good turf interaction. What I liked best was V.sole didn't seem to hang up as much if I came in a little heavy. This is problem for me if iron has flat sole and sharp leading edge.

>

> The low spin is pretty much confirmed from any tests you watch. My local store said the same. TXG the same. They are lower spinning than many other sets. 1000 rpm lower than AP2. I get more spin with a 6 iron AP2 (30 degrees) than a 32 degree 765 7 iron with the same shaft.

The new irons yes something about them makes them much lower spinning. The older 745s were just fine. Whatever Srixon did with those they need to re create it because they are the GOAT irons.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 2 Rescue @18.5* LAGP AXS RED 85HX
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Taylormade Spider Tour V Stability Tour

Taylormade TP5X 2024

Surely this sole grind is meant to assist you IF you take a divot. If you're very shallow or a 'picker' then it won't matter what the grind is right? Anyway, the 945/745 combo set I had were very good. Obviously I sold them! Crazy.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

I didn't find the low spin issues that others have seen. Played my 565s today for the first time and was able to stop a 5 iron next to a pitch mark from 200 out, same with the 4. Spun back 9 iron and PW. Other irons all next to pitch marks. Played with modus 105s and BXS ball. Dont have spin numbers to back it up just play.

V sole is very nice. Fat shots still go decently, glides and cuts through Bermuda turf well. Nice also that the soles are similar to RTX wedges. I think the sole does well if you sweep or take deeper divots, at least on Bermuda in Texas.

I've seen no difference in spin in real world conditions with my 945's. Maybe the it's more exagerated in the 5 and 7 series models I haven't hit but they also have less loft than most similarly marketed irons in a lot of cases. Also, I never trust iron spin number off mats. All these youtube channels are doing all their testing on mats and while it's the same conditions for all clubs I would never buy a set of irons or get fitted for irons based on that. I love the TXG videos but a scratch player getting fit for irons indoors is kind of a joke.

I will say, regarding the V sole, that coming from super thin sole blades like 716 MB and MP4 this was a huge difference for me. I gave the irons a couple weeks to see how it would work out and I'm glad I had the patience. Didn't really come into play for good lies in the fairway, moreso on shots where I was increasing AoA purposefully. Just gave me a little extraa confidence that it wasn't going to dig as much. Also took away any chance of a slightly heavy strike.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

I seem to be the exception to the rule hear. Had 765s for a short stint and I just didn't like how the soles interacted with the turf. I typically take good size divots with my irons and play in medium to soft conditions. I really struggled with the v sole off of hardpan and could never make good ball first contact. Ended up selling the 765s and trying some Bridgestone J15 DPF's which have been in the bag for a year or so now. The Bridgestones are the best Irons I've ever owned from a turf interaction standpoint. The sure contact sole fits me perfectly. I can alter how I contact the ball and produce whatever shot I want from any lie. They excel off of hardpan and it has become one of my favorite shots because of the flush contact I'm able to produce.

Maybe I would've done better with the thinner soled 9 series or Z forged. I have trouble getting good ball first contact with wide soled irons so it could be that it was the slightest bit heavy dropping spin off. In comparison my CB have been perfect.

I play the 745s now and love them. I have a steep angle into the ball and it helps a lot. The turf interaction is fantastic and if you like to hit knock down shots, they are money. I totally agree with the low spin aspect. I went to a high spin shaft and still get low launch and boring trajectory with the Srixons. LOVE LOVE these irons. I came from Bridgestone J40CB that had a preworn leading edge. That helped my swing a little but I still got a lot of fat shots. It was still better than the 07 X-forged I had before where you could cut your finger on the leading edge. Still loved those irons anyway.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

I've had a set of Z585's sitting in my basement since last Fall. Didn't think they were going to help my game after hitting them indoor in my hitting bay. How wrong could I be. Took them to the range yesterday and was amazed at the feel. I was hitting off turf and had no problem with turf interaction. My swing is about medium... just a slight divot. Today I played 9 holes with them and once again the turf interaction was excellent and the feel was incredible. Not sure why I didn't play them sooner, but they are staying in the bag for now. The only irons I hit today were PW, 9, 7 (a few times), and 5. I honestly could not tell the difference when hitting the ball and they launched beautifully and landed softly when needed.