You Should Be On Tour!

buzzthecatbuzzthecat OHMembers Posts: 83 ✭✭✭
edited May 23, 2019 12:15pm in General Golf Talk #1

Have you ever played with someone who said this to you? Happened to me last night. It's happened a few times in my life. Sometimes it's tongue-in-cheek, sometimes it's not. I've never seen someone so impressed with a 245yd thinned driver...at least it was down the middle. I always get a kick out of it when this happens. I tell them they're crazy and that they simply have no idea how good even a scratch player is compared to me.

FYI - This is in no way a humble-brag. I shot a 38 (+2) on 9 and hit what I thought were some pretty squirrely shots...missed a couple shorties too.

Anway, I'd love to hear some stories of when someone thought you were a golfing god!

Comments

• kgeisler13kgeisler13 ClubWRX Posts: 376 ClubWRX

I use to get this all the time from older guys because I hit it pretty far (insert WRX joke about self proclaimed lenghth) but I am a 7 handicap and I understand I am no where close to tour caliber.

KG
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

yes. i've had this happen quite often

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / HZRDUS Smoke Green Hulk 60 6.5TX tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep. It’s amazing when you occasionally get paired with a 30 handicap or whatever and you shoot 82 but they are wondering when you are going to quit your job and try to make the tour. It just goes to show you how clueless even mildly avid golfers can be sometimes. There’s 70 yards between my drive and theirs, but also probably 50 - 70 between Koepka’s and mine. I guess to them I look like Brooks Koepka 🤣

Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZMembers Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never had anyone say that but they have commented they can't believe I'm an 18 HC (as in it should be lower) after I look competent and string 3 PARs together. Then my true colors come out and and they are like, "Oh... OK, I get it now".

Driver: TaylorMade R7 425CC 8.5* Grafalloy blue S
    3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005
    Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Used to get it all the time in my 20's and 30's. "Did you ever consider trying for the Tour?" Somehow a 72 was mind blowing. It's the level of golf that many guys are used to seeing
    My stock answer was always, "nope I maxed out as a pretty good college player. A tour caliber guy would shoot 65 here without breaking a sweat"
    And my favorite "have you ever tried Long Drive?" When you can actually hit it 300 and older guys bunt it 210 (thinking its 250), they tend to think you are a Jason Z or Jamie S

Ping G410 LST 11.5* Tensei Org 60x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* X-Torsion Cu 60s
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Ping iwedge 50* Tour Concept x100 green 
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals Posts: 6,873 mod

Funny playing with strangers when they think you drove the ball 300+ when it's 270 tops.

WITVB (What's in the Vessel bag) - Cobra, Taylormade & Titleist
    Handicap:  3
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Usually from 30+cap weekend warrior strangers. I sympathize with Tiger when he was talking about the guys at tournaments that yell "You da man!" just for getting the ball airborne.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019 5:39pm #14

Id rather have people tell me I need lessons. It's more motivational.
    You just want to scream out "YES I HAVE HAD LESSONS! I QUIT THEM AND JOINED GOLFWRX!"
    Jk haha

• 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

just last night at men's league. Sank a thirty footer for a dbl.

Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • GHIN n JuiceGHIN n Juice Wingpointe GC...Never Forgotten Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I must not be THAT good, lol. I used to get people who would ask where I played in college. Sadly I would have to tell them I barely made my high school team.

Callaway Rogue 9.0*
    Taylormade 2016 M2 16.5* fairway wood
    Mizuno JPX 900 3 and 4 hybrids
    Mizuno MP-55 irons 5-P
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #7
    Cleveland RTX 4 wedges 50*, 54* and 58*
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The only tour anyone has ever told me to go on was a brewery tour.

Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • Davidelliott100Davidelliott100 Members Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Sometimes when I play as a single and play through another group, I'll hit one really close on a par 3, and they say something like "Wow, you must be like 5 under." I just say "Sure." with a smile and proceed to spray it around for my 78. haha

Taylormade M2 2017 9.5
    Taylormade M4 16.5
    Taylormade RBZ 3 iron bent to 17.5
    Taylormade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW
    Vokey SM5 Black 50, 54, 58
    Taylormade Spider S

• BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah it’s flattering to say the least.
    Our club VP invited me to play The Old Course at Broken Sound with him and some members. One of whom was CEO of a big time company and he is a regular in the AT&T, extremely nice guy. We had a little game going and I played the tips shot 66 on course that I had never seen before, the a-ha moment if you will was when I drove 7th and made an 8 footer for an eagle two. He commented as we walked up the the par 3 8th if you’re my partner at the ATT we’ll win every year. We signed the card and he remarked, “66?!? What the f*** are you doing growing grass?”

Been friends to this day, he’s been nothing short of fantastic to me and my girlfriend. He tried to pull some strings a couple years ago and have me be his partner in the Seminole Pro Member but it just didn’t work out. We ended up playing the Jupiter Hills Pro Member and basically whatever else he wants haha.

• toctoc Members Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Oh man this was EXACTLY what I wasn’t hoping this thread was about, thank you sir.

Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BNGL said:
    Yeah it’s flattering to say the least.
    Our club VP invited me to play The Old Course at Broken Sound with him and some members. One of whom was CEO of a big time company and he is a regular in the AT&T, extremely nice guy. We had a little game going and I played the tips shot 66 on course that I had never seen before, the a-ha moment if you will was when I drove 7th and made an 8 footer for an eagle two. He commented as we walked up the the par 3 8th if you’re my partner at the ATT we’ll win every year. We signed the card and he remarked, “66?!? What the f*** are you doing growing grass?”

Been friends to this day, he’s been nothing short of fantastic to me and my girlfriend. He tried to pull some strings a couple years ago and have me be his partner in the Seminole Pro Member but it just didn’t work out. We ended up playing the Jupiter Hills Pro Member and basically whatever else he wants haha.

I'll be your caddie. I'll get you firing at every single pin (no matter the situation) and playing little to no break on all putts (just aim for the hole and bang it). Just let me know when you're ready.

G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • Big A HGBig A HG Members Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to get the "did you play in college" a lot, but never the "you should be on tour". I usually play to a low-mid single digit handicap and end up playing with a lot of strangers on public courses when I get paired up.

• MountainKingMountainKing Members Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's rare to find a good golfer, I can say in the 32 years I've been playing, outside of competitive golf or my normal 4some, it's easily in the single digits with the amount of guys I've been paired with that shot in the 70's. It's rare so I guess when high handicap sees that, they probably think the guys good enough to play pro golf. A couple years back playing with my Dad, the pair we were playing with insisted that I was lying to them about who I was and I had to be on tour. I guess it's nice thinking somebody thinks my game is that good, but it also got a little old after dealing with it all round.

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x
    Taylormade Stage 2 HL Accra FX 300
    Callaway Razr Tour Hybrid 19* Nunchuk
    Rocketbladez Tour 4-PW TT X100
    Tour Preferred 50/54 S400
    TM HI Toe 58 ATV S400
    TM Itsy Bitsy

• RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,196 ClubWRX

No one has suggested I was pro or even college caliber, but as I play in a couple of leagues that have a lot of older guys they all think I'm "the big hitter." I've stopped trying to set them straight, but my average drive is 250-260 with an occasional 300 yard mistake. When I hit one in the 275+ range literally all of them "know" it was at least 300. Like others have suggested, if you have never seen a pro play in person you can easily be impressed by mediocrity.

Ping G410 Tensi Orange
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt Members Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've gotten it from both sides of the spectrum.

I remember going to one range and a good dozen people or so decided to gather and watch me hit balls. And at this time of my life, ballstriking was not my forte.

Then I'll get times where I'm playing under par, playing really excellent golf and somebody will ask "what are you...about a 5 handicap?"

Then I'll tell them I'm a +1 (or so, depends on my handicap variance) and they'll be completely shocked.

Weird, I guess.

RH

• ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@RichieHunt said:
    I've gotten it from both sides of the spectrum.

I remember going to one range and a good dozen people or so decided to gather and watch me hit balls. And at this time of my life, ballstriking was not my forte.

Then I'll get times where I'm playing under par, playing really excellent golf and somebody will ask "what are you...about a 5 handicap?"

Then I'll tell them I'm a +1 (or so, depends on my handicap variance) and they'll be completely shocked.

Weird, I guess.

RH

So if someone comes up to you while you’re under par and asks if you’re a 5 handicap do you then have to explain to them what it means to be a + ?

G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • kc_hackerkc_hacker Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited May 24, 2019 4:20am #29

@tenny352 said:
    I've actually had someone say the exact opposite to me. Went golfing with a group of people from work years ago and afterwards one of the guys said that they thought I should have golfed better for how much I play. I actually didn't really have a bad round but I couldn't have agreed with him more.

This happened to me a few months ago. I get the "where did you play in college" question here and there, but this one was not - and from a friend, no less! He asked me to play in a scramble in a couple of days when someone bailed. I said sure. He said "we're gonna win this thing, right?" Yeah, right. He was terrible (and knew it), his other friends were former weekend regulars who hadn't played in a few years due to kids.

I did the things the "A" player is supposed to do - hit it long, get on the green in regulations, get our putts close. I played pretty well, didn't hit any clankers and had a stretch where I went 4 under in 3 holes on my own ball. As a group, we did about what I expected we'd do. We shot -10. Winners shot -19. Got done and my friend says "you know, I expected more out of me today." I said "then I'm curious about your expectations." He just repeated "I expected more out of you" a few times until his friend says "what the **** did you expect? He played fine, we would have shot even without him. Did you see yourself play today?"

I'm not sure what this guy thinks a low handicapper is supposed to be. I think in his mind, he didn't see me hit a shot he didn't think he couldn't hit. Which might be true - I just happened to do it 50 more times that day than he did.

• shakeyshakey OvenWRX 1 Members Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Once. A guy randomly played in our group and spent most of the back 9 trying to convince me I should give the PGA Tour a go. Told me I just needed to quit my job to practice more. He was a nice guy just had no clue. I joked with him a little about it at first but it got a bit tiresome. After shooting somewhere around 78 from the tips that day I told him I didn’t stand a chance. If I shot 65 or better every round I’d consider trying something. But I’d never broken 70 at that point so no chance.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w/Tensei Orange 60 S
    Ping G410 3(14.5) w/Diamana Ahina 70 S
    NIKE VR Pro II Hybrid 3 (21) w/PX Graphite 5.5
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW w/Modus 120 Stiff

TM Milled Grind Black 52 SB and 58 LB w/Modus Tour 125 Wedge
    TM TP Black Copper Mullen 2

TM TP5 Pix
  • buzzthecatbuzzthecat OHMembers Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

@kc_hacker said:

@tenny352 said:

I'm not sure what this guy thinks a low handicapper is supposed to be. I think in his mind, he didn't see me hit a shot he didn't think he couldn't hit. Which might be true - I just happened to do it 50 more times that day than he did.

This is real crux of it all isn't it? It's not the superior quality of the shots, but the consistency.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file