GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Tomcat 14 Putter- ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE.

You Should Be On Tour!

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • rainkingjrrainkingjr Members  2779WRX Points: 240Posts: 2,779 Titanium Tees

I've had the occasional "you must have driven that over 350 yards" from the guy who claims he usually hits it about 250 when in truth he hits it about 215 and my drive was more in the 280-290 range.

Posted:
  • uitar9uitar9 Members  469WRX Points: 128Handicap: LOLPosts: 469 Greens

On -, @2putttom said:

just last night at men's league. Sank a thirty footer for a dbl.

Up and down for dbl. Good job.

Posted:
    KZG OS11 12 degree driver
    Calloway 16 5-wood
    Calloway 20.5 heavenwood
    Cobra 24.5 9-wood
    KZG 5-PW irons
    KZG 52 and 56 and cobra 60 wedges
    TM Spider mallet
  • JumboJackJumboJack Lakewood,CA.Members  866WRX Points: 89Handicap: 1.6Posts: 866 Golden Tee

I find this is a two sided thing. There are people that have never played with a solid low single digit so when they hear of someone shooting 69-70 on a 6500 yd muni with a course rating of 70.1 they call BS and accuse you of lying. Then there is the guy that finally plays with a good player and see it in person when they drop a sub par round on them and it blows their mind.

Posted:
    TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
    Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
    Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
    PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
    PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
    BioMech 41"
    NDMC Plus 4
    ProV1
  • braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, IllinoisMembers  6548WRX Points: 1,793Handicap: 8Posts: 6,548 Titanium Tees

No, never happened.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2
    Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
    Titleist 818 H2 19 Hybrid
    Ping Anser 23 Hybrid
    Ping Anser 27 Hybrid
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    Ping, Glide 54,58ES Wedge
    Bettenardi Studio Stock #3 F.I.T.
    Snell MTB 

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right
  • FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 MOMembers  881WRX Points: 150Handicap: 5.2Posts: 881 Golden Tee

I've had people tell me that before. More so when I was in college and consistently shooting par or better. I have people come up to me pretty regularly and compliment my swing... Which is funny cause when I watch it in slo mo all I can see are the faults... I guess its not THAT bad...

Posted:
    GO DAWGS

Advertisement
  • Zen_GolferZen_Golfer Columbus, OHMembers  365WRX Points: 235Handicap: 10Posts: 365 Greens

It seems like most randoms that I get grouped with think that I should play on tour. Its not that Im that good, its that theyre that bad. LOL

Posted:
  • BB28403BB28403 Members  4519WRX Points: 898Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Posts: 4,519 Titanium Tees

On -, @golfgirlrobin said:

I get asked all the time if I used to play on the lpga. An awful lot of men think that any woman who can get the ball off the ground must have played professionally.

They just talking at ya Shug 😜

Posted:
  • BB28403BB28403 Members  4519WRX Points: 898Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Posts: 4,519 Titanium Tees

On -, @ebrasmus21 said:

On -, @RichieHunt said:

I've gotten it from both sides of the spectrum.

I remember going to one range and a good dozen people or so decided to gather and watch me hit balls. And at this time of my life, ballstriking was not my forte.

Then I'll get times where I'm playing under par, playing really excellent golf and somebody will ask "what are you...about a 5 handicap?"

Then I'll tell them I'm a +1 (or so, depends on my handicap variance) and they'll be completely shocked.

Weird, I guess.

RH

So if someone comes up to you while you’re under par and asks if you’re a 5 handicap do you then have to explain to them what it means to be a + ?

Don't waste your time, their mental capacity is overloaded from Facebook. Just smile and nod.

Posted:
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29872WRX Points: 2,863Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,872 Titanium Tees

Everyone who is like a 3-4 index or less has probably heard it a few times, usually by well meaning beginners

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G410 LST 14.5 w/ Ping Tour 75
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Proto Hybrid
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 w/S300
    Deschamps Blade 375 gram
  • taporsnap17taporsnap17 Members  814WRX Points: 87Posts: 814 Golden Tee

A few times, and it's always condescending

Posted:

Advertisement
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX  2091WRX Points: 307Handicap: 17Posts: 2,091 ClubWRX

On -, @caniac6 said:

I went on tour with the Grateful Dead for short periods of time.

My golf games like that!

Posted:

Callaway Fusion 13.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    TM RBZ Hy 4,5,6
    Cobra F9 6-PW
    Ping Glide 50* AW
    Mizuno SW 56*
    Toulon Columbus/ Futura X 5 R/ Spyder Pro Mid( Depends on speed of the greens)
    Truvis/B RX
    Garmin S20
    Clubs this week

• mlaingmlaing Members  59WRX Points: 70Posts: 59 Bunkers

A few times I’ve gotten the “where did you play in college” question. Then I process to snap hook my opening tee shot or fat a wedge. My average drive is about 260 and on downhill downwind I can get it out there around 300. And I’m a 10 so that should tell you the caliber of player I am and how shocked I am when someone thinks I played in college.

Posted:
    Driver - Cobra F9 9* with Fujikura Atmos 7X
    5 Wood -
    Hybrid - Adams Super LS 23*
    5 & 6 Irons - Srixon Z545
    7 - PW - Srixon Z745
    Wedges - Bridgestone J15 50* and 54* and Callaway PM grind 58* and 64*
    Putter - Evnroll ER9.2 33 inches
  • jdljdl Masshole MassMembers  2038WRX Points: 486Handicap: 8Posts: 2,038 Platinum Tees

On -, @Big A HG said:

I used to get the "did you play in college" a lot, but never the "you should be on tour". I usually play to a low-mid single digit handicap and end up playing with a lot of strangers on public courses when I get paired up.

I had this happen many years ago, I had bought a nice stand bag with my alma mater's name and colors on it. One guy asks me, "Oh did you play for them?" Heck no, those guys are are all +5 or whatever. I was probably a 7 or so at the time.
    Agree with the earlier comment that the average golfer just doesn't understand how good the pros and even college guys are.

Posted:
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members  9540WRX Points: 522Posts: 9,540 Titanium Tees

So I was kinda the guy on the opposite side of this a few years back, and did the asking...but not on Tour. I had just recently met Ron, and knew by reputation he was a plus cap. Our first round together came after he had won a State Mid Am. I asked him sincerely, "Have you ever thought of trying for US Open Qualifying" He simply replied, "No. I would hate to have an "on" day and actually make it through, and then go embarrass myself, as there is no way I stand a chance of shooting a competitive score on a US Open course set up.

It gave me a bit of perspective of realizing how a scratch or even +2 as he was at the time, realizes there is such a big difference between their game and tour pros.

Posted:
    Titleist TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Sr Flex
    PING G410 FW 7 and 9
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 
    Titleist T300  5-P KBS TGI 80 Shaft
    Vokey  50.10, 54.10 58..12
    Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 
    TaylorMade Spider X Custom Blue

• bburleigh0625bburleigh0625 New YorkMembers  30WRX Points: 30Handicap: 8Posts: 30 Bunkers

I get this quite a bit because I am fairly long off the tee. People relate distance off the tee with meaning you are a really good player!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members  688WRX Points: 351Posts: 688 Golden Tee

On -, @RSinSG said:

No one has suggested I was pro or even college caliber, but as I play in a couple of leagues that have a lot of older guys they all think I'm "the big hitter." I've stopped trying to set them straight, but my average drive is 250-260 with an occasional 300 yard mistake. When I hit one in the 275+ range literally all of them "know" it was at least 300. Like others have suggested, if you have never seen a pro play in person you can easily be impressed by mediocrity.

300 Yard Mistake would be a great screen name. I've hit three in my golfing life, which is miles past my average drive, and I can tell you every detail about them.

Posted:
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers  8173WRX Points: 1,389Handicap: +1.5 (1194646)Posts: 8,173 Titanium Tees

wore white pants yesterday -- was asked in quik chek if i was a golf pro.

Posted:

Tour M3 460 / 10.1* (set -2*) / RIPx 65TX tipped 2" playing 44.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"
    SC Futura X Broomstick Putter experiment

• SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers  461WRX Points: 263Handicap: 10.3Posts: 461 Greens

Never got the you should play pro comment, but my wife is a beginner (still a max handicap) who is wildly impressed with my mediocre golfing skills. Always good for the old ego/confidence boost.

Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25507WRX Points: 2,705Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,507 ClubWRX

On a corporate boondoggle I played 3 holes with Jan Stephenson. Birdied all 3. When she was leaving our group I asked her what she saw that I could improve on. She said, and I quote, "Are you ******* serious? You just birdied 3 holes in a row."

Little did she know I shot 84 that day.

Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10666WRX Points: 3,783Handicap: 8Posts: 10,666 ClubWRX

I usually hear that after the opening tee shot, but by the time we finish out the hole they understand why I am not on tour.

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow

Advertisement
  • goaliescottgoaliescott Members  388WRX Points: 95Posts: 388 Greens

Playing a scramble with 3 strangers.
    I hit the first tee shot, and crushed a drive somewhere around 300.
    "we got our ringer!" - "what tour are you on?"
    Guys, I'm not as good as my best shot and I'm not as bad as my worst shot.
    "Sandbagger!" - lots of laughter.
    My second shot was a screaming bladed wedge that one hopped the green and into a pond.
    "Oh...."
    We had a fun middle of the pack round, everyone had a few good shots.

Posted:
  • driveandputtmachinedriveandputtmachine 4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question! Members  1499WRX Points: 303Handicap: 0.0Posts: 1,499 Platinum Tees

I won my companies super ball tournament four years in a row. To put this in perspective, there is only 5 other "captains" that have a handicap lower than 7, so it's not a big deal. We normally have 18-20 teams playing and 60-65 people who only play once a year. I am asked every year I play(this year we did a no scoring and only par 3 closest to the pins due to complaints of four wins in a row and length of time a full round takes) why am I not on tour. Last year I was still a scratch and the three previous I was a +2.4 to a +1.8 during tournament time. I explained it like this. "We're playing the course from 6000 yards, I get to hit driver and chip or wedge to every par 4. I hit the par 5's with 8, 7, GW, and 6 iron. I hit SW, SW, PW, 9 iron to the par 3's. On most tour setups each hole is almost 100 yards longer than what we are playing." They still never get it. Even at my best in college playing to a +3.2 I was nowhere near PGA tour level, the difference between a college player at +3.2 and a tour player(back then at least) was astronomically wide.

I was asked this past weekend when playing with my buddy(52, and played 7 years on the PGA tour and had 4 Nike wins) what tour we played, because we both had to be tour players. With my buddy I understood, he is relatively long, hitting his driver around 285 and exactly where he wants, vs. me, who bombs it and sprays it a bit and only hit 4 of the 6 greens and only one was close. Anyone who thinks I may be on tour, other than a brewery or distillery tour is mental. We were playing the tips (7400) and joined up with a dad and his son(his son was getting ready to play in their state am and shot 6 over on the last 6 holes we played.

Posted:
    Driver - TM SIM on Chrome Elements
    Fairway - TM M5 on Project X HZRDOUS Yellow
    Irons - (4) Cobra Speed Zone on Project X Catalyst 100
    Irons - (5) Srixon 565 on Recoil 110
    Irons - (6) Srixon 565 on Recoil 110
    Irons (7-W) Srixon 765 on Recoil 110
    Wedges - Cleveland CB2 50* and 54*, Cleveland RTX 4 58* and 62* all on UST Recoil 110
    Putter - Mannkrafted MA/66 or Sunset Beach Ocean Isle on UST F FIlter or Taylormade Spider
    Ball - Srixon Z Star or Z Star XV
  • driveandputtmachinedriveandputtmachine 4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question! Members  1499WRX Points: 303Handicap: 0.0Posts: 1,499 Platinum Tees

On -, @Carolina Golfer 2 said:

So I was kinda the guy on the opposite side of this a few years back, and did the asking...but not on Tour. I had just recently met Ron, and knew by reputation he was a plus cap. Our first round together came after he had won a State Mid Am. I asked him sincerely, "Have you ever thought of trying for US Open Qualifying" He simply replied, "No. I would hate to have an "on" day and actually make it through, and then go embarrass myself, as there is no way I stand a chance of shooting a competitive score on a US Open course set up.

It gave me a bit of perspective of realizing how a scratch or even +2 as he was at the time, realizes there is such a big difference between their game and tour pros.

And his +2 is a tournament plus 2, if he's playing the mid am and winning then he plays plenty of other events. A +2 at your club who never plays any state or regional events and a tournament tested +2 are two different players as well.

Posted:
    Driver - TM SIM on Chrome Elements
    Fairway - TM M5 on Project X HZRDOUS Yellow
    Irons - (4) Cobra Speed Zone on Project X Catalyst 100
    Irons - (5) Srixon 565 on Recoil 110
    Irons - (6) Srixon 565 on Recoil 110
    Irons (7-W) Srixon 765 on Recoil 110
    Wedges - Cleveland CB2 50* and 54*, Cleveland RTX 4 58* and 62* all on UST Recoil 110
    Putter - Mannkrafted MA/66 or Sunset Beach Ocean Isle on UST F FIlter or Taylormade Spider
    Ball - Srixon Z Star or Z Star XV
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members  9540WRX Points: 522Posts: 9,540 Titanium Tees

On -, @Carolina Golfer 2 said:

And his +2 is a tournament plus 2, if he's playing the mid am and winning then he plays plenty of other events. A +2 at your club who never plays any state or regional events and a tournament tested +2 are two different players as well.

Very true, as they say. There's golf and then there's Tournament Golf.

Posted:
    Titleist TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Sr Flex
    PING G410 FW 7 and 9
    PING G410 Hybrid 5 
    Titleist T300  5-P KBS TGI 80 Shaft
    Vokey  50.10, 54.10 58..12
    Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 
    TaylorMade Spider X Custom Blue

• birdiebarragebirdiebarrage IG @smallssees D.C.Members  56WRX Points: 54Handicap: 8Posts: 56 Bunkers

Funny thread.
    I've had a few guys asked if I played in college, but never pros. I'm like a 8-handicap at best and hit it pretty long, lol doesn't take much.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • JShawJShaw Members  344WRX Points: 109Posts: 344 Greens

The hackers think I'm a pro. The pros think I'm a hacker. This happens in all sorts of games and life I think. The better I get at something the more I understand how far away from "good" I really am.

Posted:
  • MychMych Members  2281WRX Points: 437Posts: 2,281 Platinum Tees

I've heard it on the range... but if they saw me on the actual course they'd know it's smoke & mirrors and that my golf game is like a carnival ride held together by duct tape and bubble gum.

Posted:
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    WITB: Cobra F9 9.5 ~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h ~ Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-WL ~ Ping Sigma G Piper 3
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members  1278WRX Points: 426Posts: 1,278 Platinum Tees

This has NOT happened as of yet

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

Advertisement
  • ThunderBuzzworthThunderBuzzworth Hulk... Smash!! Members  2637WRX Points: 223Handicap: +3Posts: 2,637 Titanium Tees

Launch a couple 350+ bombs and everyone assumes you should be on tour. Actually there’s a greeter at my favorite local Sushi place that says I look like a tour player every time I see her

Posted:
    Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
    PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
    SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
    SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
    CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
    CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
    CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
    TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
    BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.