You Should Be On Tour!

Comments

• rainkingjrrainkingjr Members Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've had the occasional "you must have driven that over 350 yards" from the guy who claims he usually hits it about 250 when in truth he hits it about 215 and my drive was more in the 280-290 range.

• uitar9uitar9 Members Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭

@2putttom said:
    just last night at men's league. Sank a thirty footer for a dbl.

Up and down for dbl. Good job.

[font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]WITB[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG OS11 12 degree driver
    Calloway 16 5-wood
    Calloway
    [/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]20.5 [/font][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]heavenwood
    Cobra 24.5 9-wood
    [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG 5-PW irons[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG 52 and 56 wedges[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]TM Spider mallet[/font]
  • JumboJackJumboJack Lakewood,CA.Members Posts: 866 ✭✭

I find this is a two sided thing. There are people that have never played with a solid low single digit so when they hear of someone shooting 69-70 on a 6500 yd muni with a course rating of 70.1 they call BS and accuse you of lying. Then there is the guy that finally plays with a good player and see it in person when they drop a sub par round on them and it blows their mind.

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
    Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
    Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
    PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
    PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
    BioMech 41"
    NDMC Plus 4
    ProV1
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No, never happened.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 MOMembers Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had people tell me that before. More so when I was in college and consistently shooting par or better. I have people come up to me pretty regularly and compliment my swing... Which is funny cause when I watch it in slo mo all I can see are the faults... I guess its not THAT bad...

GO DAWGS
  • Zengolfer36Zengolfer36 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

It seems like most randoms that I get grouped with think that I should play on tour. Its not that Im that good, its that theyre that bad. LOL

• BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@golfgirlrobin said:
    I get asked all the time if I used to play on the lpga. An awful lot of men think that any woman who can get the ball off the ground must have played professionally.

They just talking at ya Shug 😜

• BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ebrasmus21 said:

@RichieHunt said:
    I've gotten it from both sides of the spectrum.

I remember going to one range and a good dozen people or so decided to gather and watch me hit balls. And at this time of my life, ballstriking was not my forte.

Then I'll get times where I'm playing under par, playing really excellent golf and somebody will ask "what are you...about a 5 handicap?"

Then I'll tell them I'm a +1 (or so, depends on my handicap variance) and they'll be completely shocked.

Weird, I guess.

RH

So if someone comes up to you while you’re under par and asks if you’re a 5 handicap do you then have to explain to them what it means to be a + ?

Don't waste your time, their mental capacity is overloaded from Facebook. Just smile and nod.

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,660 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2019 9:03pm #41

Everyone who is like a 3-4 index or less has probably heard it a few times, usually by well meaning beginners

Ping G400 Max 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • taporsnap17taporsnap17 Members Posts: 811 ✭✭

A few times, and it's always condescending

• platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,591 ClubWRX

@caniac6 said:
    I went on tour with the Grateful Dead for short periods of time.

My golf games like that!

GBB Fusion HT 13.5 might change
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 6-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • mlaingmlaing Members Posts: 35 ✭✭

A few times I’ve gotten the “where did you play in college” question. Then I process to snap hook my opening tee shot or fat a wedge. My average drive is about 260 and on downhill downwind I can get it out there around 300. And I’m a 10 so that should tell you the caliber of player I am and how shocked I am when someone thinks I played in college.

Driver - Cobra F9 9* with Fujikura Atmos 7X
    5 Wood -
    Hybrid - Adams Super LS 23*
    5 & 6 Irons - Srixon Z545
    7 - PW - Srixon Z745
    Wedges - Bridgestone J15 50* and 54* and Callaway PM grind 58* and 64*
    Putter - Evnroll ER9.2 33 inches
  • jdljdl Masshole MassMembers Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Big A HG said:
    I used to get the "did you play in college" a lot, but never the "you should be on tour". I usually play to a low-mid single digit handicap and end up playing with a lot of strangers on public courses when I get paired up.

I had this happen many years ago, I had bought a nice stand bag with my alma mater's name and colors on it. One guy asks me, "Oh did you play for them?" Heck no, those guys are are all +5 or whatever. I was probably a 7 or so at the time.
    Agree with the earlier comment that the average golfer just doesn't understand how good the pros and even college guys are.

• Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2019 3:56pm #46

So I was kinda the guy on the opposite side of this a few years back, and did the asking...but not on Tour. I had just recently met Ron, and knew by reputation he was a plus cap. Our first round together came after he had won a State Mid Am. I asked him sincerely, "Have you ever thought of trying for US Open Qualifying" He simply replied, "No. I would hate to have an "on" day and actually make it through, and then go embarrass myself, as there is no way I stand a chance of shooting a competitive score on a US Open course set up.

It gave me a bit of perspective of realizing how a scratch or even +2 as he was at the time, realizes there is such a big difference between their game and tour pros.

PING G410+ 10.5 CK Tensi Orange 65g
    PING G410 FW SFT 3, 7 and  G410 9 
    PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING G410 7-P KBS Tour 105 
    PING Glide 2.0  50, 54, 58
    PING Tyne 4 35"

• bburleigh0625bburleigh0625 New YorkMembers Posts: 30 ✭✭

I get this quite a bit because I am fairly long off the tee. People relate distance off the tee with meaning you are a really good player!

• Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RSinSG said:
    No one has suggested I was pro or even college caliber, but as I play in a couple of leagues that have a lot of older guys they all think I'm "the big hitter." I've stopped trying to set them straight, but my average drive is 250-260 with an occasional 300 yard mistake. When I hit one in the 275+ range literally all of them "know" it was at least 300. Like others have suggested, if you have never seen a pro play in person you can easily be impressed by mediocrity.

300 Yard Mistake would be a great screen name. I've hit three in my golfing life, which is miles past my average drive, and I can tell you every detail about them.

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

wore white pants yesterday -- was asked in quik chek if i was a golf pro.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / HZRDUS Smoke Green Hulk 60 6.5TX tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

Never got the you should play pro comment, but my wife is a beginner (still a max handicap) who is wildly impressed with my mediocre golfing skills. Always good for the old ego/confidence boost.

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,800 ClubWRX

On a corporate boondoggle I played 3 holes with Jan Stephenson. Birdied all 3. When she was leaving our group I asked her what she saw that I could improve on. She said, and I quote, "Are you ******* serious? You just birdied 3 holes in a row."

Little did she know I shot 84 that day.

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I usually hear that after the opening tee shot, but by the time we finish out the hole they understand why I am not on tour.

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • goaliescottgoaliescott Members Posts: 386 ✭✭

Playing a scramble with 3 strangers.
    I hit the first tee shot, and crushed a drive somewhere around 300.
    "we got our ringer!" - "what tour are you on?"
    Guys, I'm not as good as my best shot and I'm not as bad as my worst shot.
    "Sandbagger!" - lots of laughter.
    My second shot was a screaming bladed wedge that one hopped the green and into a pond.
    "Oh...."
    We had a fun middle of the pack round, everyone had a few good shots.

• driveandputtmachinedriveandputtmachine 4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question! Members Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I won my companies super ball tournament four years in a row. To put this in perspective, there is only 5 other "captains" that have a handicap lower than 7, so it's not a big deal. We normally have 18-20 teams playing and 60-65 people who only play once a year. I am asked every year I play(this year we did a no scoring and only par 3 closest to the pins due to complaints of four wins in a row and length of time a full round takes) why am I not on tour. Last year I was still a scratch and the three previous I was a +2.4 to a +1.8 during tournament time. I explained it like this. "We're playing the course from 6000 yards, I get to hit driver and chip or wedge to every par 4. I hit the par 5's with 8, 7, GW, and 6 iron. I hit SW, SW, PW, 9 iron to the par 3's. On most tour setups each hole is almost 100 yards longer than what we are playing." They still never get it. Even at my best in college playing to a +3.2 I was nowhere near PGA tour level, the difference between a college player at +3.2 and a tour player(back then at least) was astronomically wide.

I was asked this past weekend when playing with my buddy(52, and played 7 years on the PGA tour and had 4 Nike wins) what tour we played, because we both had to be tour players. With my buddy I understood, he is relatively long, hitting his driver around 285 and exactly where he wants, vs. me, who bombs it and sprays it a bit and only hit 4 of the 6 greens and only one was close. Anyone who thinks I may be on tour, other than a brewery or distillery tour is mental. We were playing the tips (7400) and joined up with a dad and his son(his son was getting ready to play in their state am and shot 6 over on the last 6 holes we played.

Driver - Ping 400 MAX on Tour 65 
    Fairway - Cobra F9 on UST Axivcore Black
    Others - Srixon 785 5 Wood on UST Axivcore Black or TM UDI 2 iron on Nippon 130 or Ping G400 17* 
    Irons - (4-A) Taylormade 790's on KBS Tour
    Wedges - Cleveland Rotex 3.0 55*, Rotex 4.0 60* on KBS tour
    Putter - Mannkrafted MA/66 or Taylormade Spider
    Ball - TM TP5x or Srixon Z Star XV
  • driveandputtmachinedriveandputtmachine 4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question! Members Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Carolina Golfer 2 said:
    So I was kinda the guy on the opposite side of this a few years back, and did the asking...but not on Tour. I had just recently met Ron, and knew by reputation he was a plus cap. Our first round together came after he had won a State Mid Am. I asked him sincerely, "Have you ever thought of trying for US Open Qualifying" He simply replied, "No. I would hate to have an "on" day and actually make it through, and then go embarrass myself, as there is no way I stand a chance of shooting a competitive score on a US Open course set up.

It gave me a bit of perspective of realizing how a scratch or even +2 as he was at the time, realizes there is such a big difference between their game and tour pros.

And his +2 is a tournament plus 2, if he's playing the mid am and winning then he plays plenty of other events. A +2 at your club who never plays any state or regional events and a tournament tested +2 are two different players as well.

Driver - Ping 400 MAX on Tour 65 
    Fairway - Cobra F9 on UST Axivcore Black
    Others - Srixon 785 5 Wood on UST Axivcore Black or TM UDI 2 iron on Nippon 130 or Ping G400 17* 
    Irons - (4-A) Taylormade 790's on KBS Tour
    Wedges - Cleveland Rotex 3.0 55*, Rotex 4.0 60* on KBS tour
    Putter - Mannkrafted MA/66 or Taylormade Spider
    Ball - TM TP5x or Srixon Z Star XV
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@driveandputtmachine said:

@Carolina Golfer 2 said:

And his +2 is a tournament plus 2, if he's playing the mid am and winning then he plays plenty of other events. A +2 at your club who never plays any state or regional events and a tournament tested +2 are two different players as well.

Very true, as they say. There's golf and then there's Tournament Golf.

PING G410+ 10.5 CK Tensi Orange 65g
    PING G410 FW SFT 3, 7 and  G410 9 
    PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING G410 7-P KBS Tour 105 
    PING Glide 2.0  50, 54, 58
    PING Tyne 4 35"

• birdiebarragebirdiebarrage IG @smallssees D.C.Members Posts: 27 ✭✭

Funny thread.
    I've had a few guys asked if I played in college, but never pros. I'm like a 8-handicap at best and hit it pretty long, lol doesn't take much.

• JShawJShaw Members Posts: 341 ✭✭

The hackers think I'm a pro. The pros think I'm a hacker. This happens in all sorts of games and life I think. The better I get at something the more I understand how far away from "good" I really am.

• MychMych Members Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard it on the range... but if they saw me on the actual course they'd know it's smoke & mirrors and that my golf game is like a carnival ride held together by duct tape and bubble gum.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5~ F6 Baffler 16 ~ Baffler 2h ~ Forged Tec One 3i ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This has NOT happened as of yet

Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • ThunderBuzzworthThunderBuzzworth Hulk... Smash!! Members Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Launch a couple 350+ bombs and everyone assumes you should be on tour. Actually there’s a greeter at my favorite local Sushi place that says I look like a tour player every time I see her

Current WITB

Taylormade 2016 M1 7.8* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
    Titleist 917 F3 15* (Tensei Pro white 90tx)
    Titleist 716 TMB 19* (DG X100)
    Callaway 18’ X Forged 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 130)
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50F black (x100)
    Titleist Vokey TVD 55K black (x100)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60D black (x100)
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34”
    Srixon Z Star XV 17’ Yellow

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file