You Should Be On Tour!

13»

Comments

• Exactice808Exactice808 Just want to hit ball far and go find it... Members Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not the Tour comment but the scratch comments...

Playing partners are always giving me crap... 2 of them keep pushing me to enter local tournaments to develop a more serious game I decline because I do not have the commitment to keep up a high level game.

I am fortunate to be invited to play in many "fundraising" scramble.... oddly my contributions get us near the podiums or on the podiums so when I see familiar faces I get the wow you scratch yet comments...

When you hit the ball MUCH further in relation to the other player....that usually gains the you should be on tour comment... heck I get the wow that was 300 yards drive.... full knowing that it was about 250 yards just 50 yards in front of everyone else...so it seems egregiously long.

The only time I think I would ever take the you should be on tour is when I average 6 birdies per round..... till then.... Its just the fact that your player partners are not at the same level that you are........

Titleist 915D3 
    TM M2v1 - 
    TM 18* M2 
    TM TP MC 4 & 5 PX 6.0 Rifles
    Cobra AMP Cell Pro 6-PW PX 6.0 Rifles
    Titleist SM5 Vokey50*/8*, 54*/10* & 58*/8* X100's
    Scotty Newport 2 33"
  • Vardon GripVardon Grip Members Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭✭

All is fun and games until the thought creeps in and you start to agree: “hey, maybe I should be on tour”.
    Settle down.

• playar32playar32 Members Posts: 299 ✭✭✭✭

Most of the comments come from the "visual" long drive...makes me think how far away most are from actually realizing what skills make you a tour player.

Listened to the foreplay podcast (pretty bad podcast for golf, but it was the US open special and had to kill time), they had Kisner on, and made the point that he's 27th in the world at golf. Pretty amazing he's that good when you think about how many other guys have the "traits" of what most think a tour player should have.

• Bush PilotBush Pilot Members Posts: 261 ✭✭

I get people questioning my handicap a lot of times after seeing a tee shot. They usually stop after I skull the wedge approach shot. LOL

• SnapHooker_605SnapHooker_605 Members Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had that comment before just because I hit a draw. Unfortunately, need to do better than 210 carry bouncing out to about 240 to make the tour.

Cobra King F8 Driver  Aldila NV-2KXV Green 65 Stiff (9 degree setting, Draw Weight Placement, -3/4")
    Cobra King F8 3-4 Wood Aldila NV-2KXV Blue 70 Stiff (15.5 degree setting, -1/2")
    Cobra King F7 3-4 Hybrid (19 degree setting)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4 Iron Thru G Wedge - KBS Regular Flex Steel Shafts
    Titleist Spin Milled SM 5 54/10 degree and 58/8 Degree - Stock Steel Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Red X3 (34")
  • markheardjrmarkheardjr Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin! Members Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I worked at Alondra Golf Course near LAX. We used to get tons of Asian tourists playing there because it was so cheap compared to places like Japan, where you need to get certified at a range before you can even play a course. I have taken photos with tourists so many times. I am only like 6'2" but they used to take photos with me like I was a giant. I only hit the ball maybe 280y. I was scratch in early college and held a 1.8 handi when I moved to cali before I got a desk job.

I talked to a businessman in college about going pro. The conversation was basically he would bankroll me and pay me an hourly salary to practice. Just bang balls and putt all day, make a run. Never did get it kicked off. Best I ever finished in amateurs was 55 out of 150 Division 1 golfers at the Mid-Ohio Amateur. But for a guy with home built swing, no lessons, wasn't too bad.

NIPPON SHAFT TRIALS!! Get in on a pay-it-forward type shaft testing!
    http://www.golfwrx.c...yer-forwarding/

TaylorMade M3 9.5° w/ Tour Issue Aldila The Phene'd 60TX
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 14.5° w/ p9003X
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 17.5° w/ p9003TX
    Srixon ZTX-II 3-PW w/ Modus Nippon Modus Prototype ORA X (3I has an E11 Proto in Stiff)
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 24, 2019 5:38pm #68

Oh man chops love to say you should play on tour cause they rarely see anyone smoke a drive deep or a 3wood or shoot a few under....

This guy nick named Tom Vu at our course yells great shot as soon anyone smokes a shot then when it spin out of bounds its fun to watch players react to bad timing loud yelling Tom Vu who can't hit 200 yards haha...

G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • ClevelandKyleClevelandKyle Members Posts: 34 ✭✭

@markheardjr said:
    I worked at Alondra Golf Course near LAX. We used to get tons of Asian tourists playing there because it was so cheap compared to places like Japan, where you need to get certified at a range before you can even play a course. I have taken photos with tourists so many times. I am only like 6'2" but they used to take photos with me like I was a giant. I only hit the ball maybe 280y. I was scratch in early college and held a 1.8 handi when I moved to cali before I got a desk job.

I talked to a businessman in college about going pro. The conversation was basically he would bankroll me and pay me an hourly salary to practice. Just bang balls and putt all day, make a run. Never did get it kicked off. Best I ever finished in amateurs was 55 out of 150 Division 1 golfers at the Mid-Ohio Amateur. But for a guy with home built swing, no lessons, wasn't too bad.

Love your bag man. great set you got there. Regarding your story, it's a tough go out there in the tour world. The fact that you're a self taught player stands for itself. Its about enjoying the game, no matter what you shoot.

Taylormade M3 10.5, Mitsubishi Tensei Red 50
    Taylormade M3 3H, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 70
    Taylormade Fairway Rescue 3 & 5 Wood
    Callaway X20 Tour Irons, Project X Flighted Steel (TTIP) 5.0
    Cleveland TA5 Irons, True Tempered Dynamic Gold Steel
    Ben Hogan 5610 SW
    Cleveland 588 Tour Action 60 deg Wedge
    Cleveland 588 Tour Action 52 deg Wedge
    Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

• UncleJohn’sBandUncleJohn’sBand Members Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@caniac6 said:
    I went on tour with the Grateful Dead for short periods of time.

Who needs the PGA Tour when you can hop on the bus.

Titleist 915 D3 Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
    Titleist 910 F Rombax W
    Titleist 913hd Matrix Altus
    Titleist 714 CB/MB 4-Pw PjX 6.5
    Tour issue 52, 56 60 Vokey 200 SM4
    Odyssey Versa no. 7
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Had a guy in my youth thought I was ready. I chipped in back to back, one for a birdie the other for a par. He apparently forgot what I did on the previous holes.

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • WoodersonWooderson Members Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've gotten the opposite. Got paired up with another single once. He was a super nice guy who didn't play much due to family obligations but shot mid to high 70s. After about the 3rd or 4th hole he said to me "you sure do have a nice looking swing to be a bad golfer." He didn't say it in a snarky manner. He was more perplexed. I didn't get upset. Just laughed because I know it's true. Still cracks me up.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
    Ping G400 Max 9° Tour 65 Stiff
    Callaway Epic Flash 15°/18°
    Ping G410 22°
    Titleist 818 H1 25°
    G410 6-PW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth GW/SW
    Ping Eye2 LW
    Piretti Potenza
  • Oliver KlozoffOliver Klozoff Members Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    edited Jul 8, 2019 1:55am #73

I used to get it a lot. I'm a +3 now. Average between 67 - 72. Have been lower. I just say thanks and laugh inside. The difference is staggering. I've played with guys on tour now, and many more 10-15 years ago. I figure as a +3 on my home course I'm about 6 shots per round off the pace of a pro on their home course. Simple math shows that is 24 shots back in a 4 round event. So not even close. I think if I played in every PGA event in a year, I'd be lucky to make 1 cut.

I hit plenty of good shots. But my consistency is way, way off from a tour player.

• RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No, but I did shoot a 2 over 74 while playing with an older couple on a difficult weather day with lots of wind and a bit of rain.
    Best compliment I ever had after a round. "It was nice to watch you play"

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS or Xhot 15* OG Blueboard 73s
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s 
    RTX4 54/10 and 58/8 2 dots
    Bettinardi BB1/ Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)
    Some kind of 3 or 4 piece urethane covered soft feeling ball
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received that compliment before, for my clothes.

Yes, it hurt.

• Lloyd_Christmas29Lloyd_Christmas29 Members Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 2, 2019 11:15pm #76

I get it whenever I get paired up with randoms at a public course. Like someone said earlier, I don't think I've ever been paired up with someone that broke 80 though. So to your average player that shoots 90, you are quite impressive to them if you're shooting around even. Most people don't realize though that even consistent scratch players would average high 70's playing tour setup courses.

Post edited by Lloyd_Christmas29 on
    Taylormade M3 10.5 Hzrdus Smoke Black 70
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 Speeder TS 8.2
    Titleist 818 H1 21 Speeder TS 8.8
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 KBS C-Taper 
    Titleist SM5 46-08, 52-08, 58-08, 60-07
    Scotty Cameron Golo OG
  • hgtiger24hgtiger24 Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Not necessarily the "on tour" comment, but i constantly get the "dude you should try out for the long drive tour." I hover in the 126 clubhead speed and drive the ball over 300 pretty constantly, naturally, randoms i get paired up with ALSO "hit it 300" (more like 220) and assume that since theyre 300 out, and im 80ish yards by them, i'm hitting it 380 with a standard driver and therefore, qualify to be hitting it 450+ yards.

actually just snapped at a coworker that is a 25+ handicap and claims to hit his 3 wood 280. i've golfed with him...he hits it 140

• geesecougar2geesecougar2 Members Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 12, 2019 7:05pm #78

I joked to my coworker once after cold topping a 5 wood from the fairway on the first hole that I was planning to go pro.

I don't think he got the joke and we never played a round together again after that

:sweat_smile:

M1 8.5 Fuji 757 Evo X
    SLDR 15 Axivcore Tour Green X
    Rescue 11 18 RIP 105 X
    S55 4-PW X100 TI
    Vokey SM4 52 X100 TI
    Vokey TVD 56/60 S400
    White Hot RX #7 / Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum
  • Johnny BiarritzJohnny Biarritz Members Posts: 450 ✭✭✭✭

I was in Alaska about a month ago and I played 2 rounds with my brother-in-law (1 included his dad). They both thought I should give it a serious go to get my game in shape to try to make it onto the tour. I shot 79 from about 7200 yards and 76 from about 6400. The Alaska Senior Amateur was played on that same course in between when we played...+6 for 3 rounds won. Then I told them that I figured an average tour player would have beaten me by at least 20 strokes over the 2 rounds. I know how far off I am, it didn't quite occur to them.

• physasstphysasst Rochester, MNMembers Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

@Edward_Majorwin said:
    No tour comments coming my way but just last weekend one of my buds intros me to a new guy in our group and says "this guy (me) will kill us today" and I then proceed to chunk my 4i off the opening tee and generally play pretty bad for the front 9.
    The only tour possibly coming my way is that of a local winery.

That's the WORST possible introduction anyone can ever give....LMAO.

Ping G400 SFT 9.5*
    Ping G410 SFT 3W 15*
    Taylormade M3 Hybrid 19*
    Taylormade P-790 4-GW
    Cleveland CG15 54* SW
    Cleveland CG15 58* LW
    Cleveland 2135 8.0 CB 
  • jldavis73jldavis73 Members Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My neighbor is a well-meaning idiot.
    Last year, he started a discussion about his son's potential in professional golf. They had a driver fitting at Dick's Sporting Goods, and left convinced that his son had a shot at the Tour. He wanted to get lessons for him, and reasoned that, based on the fitting results, he had the distance to compete. "Who knows, he could qualify for a few Web events (now Korn Ferry), and maybe win one. If he gets hot enough, might make it to the big show." Kid has never broken 80. Playing on a 5800 yard course. I torture him every time we play. I can't help it. I'm not worth a darn, and if I can beat you easily...I feel like it's my job to be the voice of truth in the matter.

Srixon Z785 
    Cleveland Classic XL 14*, Black Tie X
    Srixon Z945 3-PW, Project X 6.5
    Cleveland RTX 3 52*, 56* 60*, Dynamic Gold 
    Odyssey Sabretooth Backstryke w/Flat Cat 
  • RJ_MJ_JJRJ_MJ_JJ Members Posts: 56 ✭✭

Happened to me when I shot 70 (-2) at the New Course at Grand Cypress in Orlando. It's a wide open track and I played well. The course probably played 6500 yards that day. I told the guy a struggling tour pro on the web.com tour would have been upset with a 65 from 1000 yards further back.
    I have a buddy who is a +4 at our club. He gets it ALL THE TIME. Although his +4 is shooting a 71 at our 75-rated course. Most folks just don't understand a tour pro is probably the equivalent of a +12 handicap.

GHIN = ~5
    -WITB-
    DRIVER: Cobra F7+ 9.5 degrees w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5-75g
    DRIVING IRON: Mizuno FLI HI 2i w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+, hard step +1
    IRONS: Ping i210 Irons 3-P w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+, hard step +1, blue dot
    WEDGES: Vokey SM7 Wedges, 50, 54, 58 - w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+
    PUTTER: Ping Sigma G KUSHIN w/ lots of lead tape
    BALL: Bridgestone Tour B330
    GRIPS: Winn Dri Tac - MIDSIZE

• llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,388 ClubWRX

I love when I get this comment. Im a single digit handicap and I get to play a round or two with a buddy of mine who doesnt play as often as I do but probably got me into the game as he got me my job at a a golf shop when I was a senior in high school. I hit the ball pretty consistently and more often than not, I will hit a decent drive of about 290 or more. The twosome we are paired up with will make a comment asking if I play for a college or if I have aspirations of playing on tour. I always give this blank stare at my buddy and he knows I am laughing inside with my hidden modesty. Haaaa haaaaa. Too funny. As far as a reality check of my own game. I played with an aspiring mini golf player who was a decent college player around my area and the game is different. There is a really good golfer like i consider my self to be in the eyes of your novice player then there are the tour caliber players who I look up to. I know the difference so I keep my game to myself and be happy with what I can do.

Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra Utility 20.5 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra Pur 52/58 S200 
    Odyssey Grim Reaper 
    Vice Pro+/Snell Mtbx
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers Posts: 49 ✭✭

I'm just here for the not so humble brags

Carry on

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Ping G20 3 wood 15 * | Ping TFC 149F Stiff
    Ping G400 5 Wood 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Steelhead XR 5-AW | Project X 6.5 Rifle
    Titleist SM6 50* / 56* / 62* | Stock
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

• mukstermukster The secret IS in the dirt North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

All I can say is that a fast swing and low stroke average made it tough to get a date in college, never got mistaken for a pro

Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Cobra Baffler Rail H 17* hybrid, 
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • haroleaseharolease Members Posts: 620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 19, 2019 2:00am #86

Funny reading this thread. I think most golfers are in their own little world Some golfer have competed against other golfers and realize how hard it is to be a pro and some are purely recreational and can’t really know what it actually like to be on tour or even play in local tournaments

• admorkadmork Orlando, FlMembers Posts: 75 ✭✭

From another side, I ve played pro golf in Europe and played a lot of pro ams. I just remember some of the amateurs I was paired with being upset when I would miss birdie putts 😁.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file