Orlando recommendations for Chicago guy traveling in June

DeeBee30

Hey guys - I'm headed from Chicago to Orlando from June 9-14 and could use some recommendations for area courses to fit in a couple of weekday rounds.

Some parameters:

- I'll be staying somewhere around the Orange County Convention Center; staying closer to a course or at a resort are not options.

- I probably won't rent a car, so I need to be mindful of the commuting cost/time of a ride share or taxi (unless it's WORTH the long ride)

- Looking for fun 18-hole layouts, great conditioning, decent pace of play, and good value (would prefer to stay under $100 BUT willing to pay more if the course is worth it). For example, I believe Streamsong is $125 in June...if those courses are THAT MUCH better than other more local options, I'd consider it.

- Likely playing days are that Monday and Friday, but I might call an audible another day

I'm seeing what seem to be great courses that either fall beyond my preferred price range (i.e. Streamsong Red/Blue), or are a longer commute (Southern Dunes, Victoria Hills, El Campeon, Panther Lake, Reunion-Watson).

For anyone familiar with Chicago courses, the kinds of public courses that fit the bill here are: Cantigny, Mistwood, Bolingbrook, Harborside, Bowes Creek, Prairie Landing, etc - All under or around $100 and really nice tracks.

As another option, if there are great private tracks that can be accessed through either Club Corp or Boxgroove, I've been looking for an excuse to join one of those.

TIA!

That's a tough ask. There are few inexpensive courses near I-drive. Grand Cypress wouldn't be a bad choice, but it appears that only the North 9 will be open that week. The other 36 holes appear to be closed for maintenance. I'd say Shingle Creek is your best bet with rates less than $60 midweek. The Ritz Carlton is a fun course, and midweek rates are $100 after 11 am. Falcon's Fire is OK, and won't break the bank.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Boom - Argonne, the guy who's now played more than 500 tracks worldwide, pops over from the Chicago thread to be the first guy with good input. Thanks!

From what I see, Shingle Creek looks a little "Florida-resorty" and kind of non-descript, and Falcon's Fire gives off a similar vibe in pics. Are the photos just not doing them justice? Are there any Chicago-area course comparisons you might be able to draw to either of those in terms of layout (fun/interesting) and overall value? For instance, at first glance online, Shingle reminds me a little of Oakbrook GC or Willow Crest.

Am I better off sucking it up and trekking out to some of the other options 45-120 minutes out? I don't mind paying more than the $40-$60 rates for the above tracks if the added level of enjoyment justifies the time and money investment.

While I cannot compare them to your Chicago area courses I would say Ritz, Waldorf, or reunion are your best three options for great quality non resort courses. I would also look into Champions Gate CC as a less expensive option, great course but your playing through a neighborhood. If you decide to make the trek Streamsong is definitely worth it. While I love the front 9 of the Black course I hate most of the back, I would rather play red or blue if it’s a one day venture.

Titleist             TSR3 10* w/ Tensei 1k white
Callaway       Apex 19' 3 hybrid w/ Nippon GOST tour stiff

NCW                Tour Department DW mid muscle MB 4-PW w/ Modus 105 S
Vokey            SM8 50f, 56s, 60m
Bettinardi       Studio Stock 17

2nd hole of Streamsong Black

2v5e1mj7xroh.jpeg

2nd or 3rd hole at Waldorf

04ajlhgjejco.jpeg

Reunion (Nicholas)

30opqpa4rg14.jpeg

In June prices should have dropped substantially, as old people melt in the sun and FL golf prices reflect that.

You can easily play $35 rounds of golf after 11AM at very nice courses, just be careful of the weather/rain and playing before/after big storms as some courses dont alow play after and/or dont drain well.

If you're staying around the OCCC I would recommend Falcon's Fire, Shingle Creek, and Celebration.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

... I play a ton of golf in Orlando every year at the PGA Show sicking around 2 weeks to play since it's winter in Chicago. Panther Lake, Champions Gate CC, Champions Gate International, Celebration and Grand Cypress. One of my favorites that is rarely mentioned is The Legends at Orange Lake.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

> @outgolfing said:

> While I cannot compare them to your Chicago area courses I would say Ritz, Waldorf, or reunion are your best three options for great quality non resort courses. I would also look into Champions Gate CC as a less expensive option, great course but your playing through a neighborhood. If you decide to make the trek Streamsong is definitely worth it. While I love the front 9 of the Black course I hate most of the back, I would rather play red or blue if it’s a one day venture.

Yeah, now I'm seriously considering making the trek to Streamsong to play Red or Blue. I just took a buddy up to Sand Valley in WI to play both 18's last week, and he'd recently come back from a trip where they played all the Streamsong courses. He had great things to say about Red & Blue (hated Black) and is telling me I need to make that drive.

If I do head down there, I'd love to play both courses on the same day and take advantage of the replay rate, but walking 36 at Sand Valley kicked my @$$, and my game really suffered on the last 8-9 holes. I also realize that would blow the budget I originally outlined, but the timing of my trip puts me down there during the absolute cheapest season, so maybe that's the golf gods telling me I should do it.

One thing to be mindful is this is when the courses start to aerify down here.

Shingle Creek used to be an excellent course, then they did a re-design and ruined it IMO.

Waldorf, Ritz, Southern Dunes (which isn't a huge hike from OCCC), ChampionsGate CC (NOT the resort, the CC), OCN, RedTail are probably your top choices.

Streamsong is really good, but I do think it's overpriced (you have to pay for a caddie unless you're walking which is nuts in June in Florida) And Streamsong is out in the middle of nowhere. It's going to be an expensive Uber/Lyft ride out there.

In fact, you're probably better off just taking the trip up to World Woods or play Juliette Falls than making a trip to Streamsong

RH

What time do you fly out the 14th? That's my day off. I have a round on the 15th at the local country club with a VP at work and I could use a round on fast greens to warm up.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Update: a golfing buddy convinced me I’m crazy not to play streamsong, so I decided to pry open the wallet and splurge on 36, taking advantage of a reduced replay rate. BUT, it turns out that the Red course is closed for weekly maintenance on Mondays (WTF?) and the Black course (which was my third choice anyway) is closed for an outing. So, I can only play Blue, and that’s either at 7:35 am with a mandatory caddie or cart/forecaddie or at 10:35 am. The early morning round would leave me with time to play somewhere else in the afternoon, but I don’t like being forced into carts and/or caddies. Not a big fan of that resort so far. For now, I have a room and round booked, but I may just bail so I can play 36 on a couple of other courses. Sigh

I'd go to World Woods then (although check their aerification schedule). Course is in great shape and you have 36 holes right there. And you'll pay far less than Streamsong. If you get out on a weekday there, you could play 36 rather quickly.

RH

Pulled the plug on Streamsong since I got conflicting answers on whether I’d be allowed to play the black after an outing ends at 2pm. Was first told yes, so I made the reservation and morning tee time on the blue course. After getting some runaround when trying to confirm an afternoon time on the black course, the pro shop finally said the course is closed after the outing and I couldn’t play that day. Never would have booked it if they told me that up front. Minutes after I called to cancel, they called me back saying they actually would get me on the black course after the outing after all. Too late, and I was even more irritated that they couldn’t get the response right the first time. Disappointing experience, especially with a resort of that caliber.

Now thinking about either Reunion’s Watson and Palmer courses, or maybe making the drive out to World Woods (but I’m staying near the convention center).

@RichieHunt , I took a look at World Woods online and in the golf app and the courses look nice. Any comparison to the Reunion courses?

> @DeeBee30 said:

> Pulled the plug on Streamsong since I got conflicting answers on whether I’d be allowed to play the black after an outing ends at 2pm. Was first told yes, so I made the reservation and morning tee time on the blue course. After getting some runaround when trying to confirm an afternoon time on the black course, the pro shop finally said the course is closed after the outing and I couldn’t play that day. Never would have booked it if they told me that up front. Minutes after I called to cancel, they called me back saying they actually would get me on the black course after the outing after all. Too late, and I was even more irritated that they couldn’t get the response right the first time. Disappointing experience, especially with a resort of that caliber.

>

> Now thinking about either Reunion’s Watson and Palmer courses, or maybe making the drive out to World Woods (but I’m staying near the convention center).

>

> @RichieHunt , I took a look at World Woods online and in the golf app and the courses look nice. Any comparison to the Reunion courses?

IMO, For a 90-120 minute 1 way trip, I'd stick with Reunion if you can get it. WW is great, but I don't think the 3-4 hours in the car is worth it more than what Reunion can provide. (FYI - former Chi-burb guy living in Tampa. Grew up on Schaumburg, but mainly played Poplar, and the Elgin tracks before moving)

1W: TM Sim Max 10.5° (down 2) - Tensei Orange 70TX

3W: TM Sim Max 15° - Mitsubishi Chemical Diamana F Limited 75

3I: Titleist T200 20°

4-G: Cobra Forged Tec Black - KBS $ Taper 130x

SW: Titleist SM8 54 - DG S400

LW: Titleist SM8 58 - DG S400

P: Swag Suave Too

Ball: TM TP5x

Your better off playing the new course at grand cypress (before it closes) and then take an Uber to Waldorf. Two great courses not really that far from each other and it’s likely cheaper to play both of them than it would be for one round at streamsong.

@cwb12 appreciate the input. I am wrestling with the extra time in the car, so I'll probably go Reunion.

@outgolfing I looked at Grand Cypress but (1) I'm looking for something with a bit of a higher slope rating (128+), and (2) their website says it's closed from May 13-Oct 1.

After all the great suggestions here, my short list came down to:

- Streamsong: I would have made the drive to bag two of those tracks, but they screwed the pooch

- Reunion: 30-minute drive, good rates, and I can get in 36 holes without leaving the property

- World Woods: nice layouts and variety, just a hike

- North Shore: contender

- Champions Gate: contender, but the earliest available time was past noon

That was after I ruled out:

- Waldorf: the layout looks boring; a lot of straight, parallel holes

- Ritz Carlton; a bit pricey for a morning round

- Falcon's Fire: looks flat and the images didn't do much for me; the challenge appears to be all the sand and water

Of course, this may all be a moot point since I injured myself at the range yesterday. Pretty sure I have an intercostal (rib) muscle strain or possibly a tear. I'll see how it feels on the travel day.

Thanks to everyone for the great insight into Orlando area golf. Some nice options down there, so it may need to go on my list of possible retirement areas.

I'm pretty sure you have to be staying at Reunion or playing with a somebody staying at Reunion in order to get on there. Reunion is very nice.

World Woods is 36 holes with one of the coolest driving ranges I've ever been on. The Pine Barrens course was 'inspired' by Pine Valley. And it's like Pine Valley in the sense it has a mix of parkland elements you would see in North Carolina, but the dunes style golf you see in Florida or Australia. And there's not a bad hole on the course while holes #4, #5, #8, #9, #12 (when the green is on the right), #14, #15, #16 and #18 are excellent.

IMO, it's clearly a better design than any of the three courses at Streamsong...and I like Streamsong.

The Rolling Oaks course was 'inspired' by Augusta National. It's a really good golf course and if Pine Barrens wasn't there it would receive a lot more praise and accolades. The only thing I don't like about Rolling Oaks is the last 3 holes are really difficult and it hurts the ebb and flow of the design.

If I had equal distance of a drive and could play Reunion or World Woods, I would take World Woods and wouldn't think twice about it. But if you don't want the long drive, then Reunion is the place to go...if you can't get on.

RH

going to have to disagree with you on world woods being a better design than streamsong;

it's really not close; and during the summer it's actually completely opposite ends of the spectrum. The drainage at WW is bad. They will roll the greens about 8/9 during the summer there. Streamsong on the other hand drains very well; after taking covers from afternoon thunderstorms you can resume play as if no rain has even touched the turf. The greens usually roll about 10/11 during the summers. And if you plan to tee off before 8am as I always strongly advise, they'll make you take a caddie/forecaddie. Other wise you can bring your own pull cart and roll with it.

you can also get on reunion during summer time with a ph call from your pro/assistant. It's very welcoming from my experience.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

FYI, the florida resident walk rate is 89 bucks currently with replay about 65; Tell them you're a florida resident. They really don't check id. Those guys are cool. Treat them well; they'll treat you well.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

@RichieHunt - thanks for the additional perspective on WW. I really do like the look of those courses and feel like it would be the most bang for my buck if I can play this trip, as long as I can get OK with the drive. I did notice that I couldn't book golf-only on Reunion's website, so I the plan was to call to ask if they'd let me take an open time instead of letting it go to waste ( I don't belong to a club and can't do the pro phone call as @jerebear21 suggests)..

@jerebear21 - I know Streamsong are quality tracks...I have a golfing buddy who plays all three courses annual trips and he places Red/Blue in the same category as Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes in WI. I definitely want to play Streamsong sometime, but I think I need to make it a dedicated trip where I can stay at the resort for a couple of nights and play all three without worrying about drive time. I would have made the Blue/Black work this trip if they had their $h*t together, but they irked me with (1) requiring a caddie early, (2) flip-flopping about getting me on the black course and (3) having the red course closed for maintenance the day I'm there.

> @jerebear21 said:

> going to have to disagree with you on world woods being a better design than streamsong;

>

> it's really not close; and during the summer it's actually completely opposite ends of the spectrum. The drainage at WW is bad. They will roll the greens about 8/9 during the summer there. Streamsong on the other hand drains very well; after taking covers from afternoon thunderstorms you can resume play as if no rain has even touched the turf. The greens usually roll about 10/11 during the summers. And if you plan to tee off before 8am as I always strongly advise, they'll make you take a caddie/forecaddie. Other wise you can bring your own pull cart and roll with it.

>

> you can also get on reunion during summer time with a ph call from your pro/assistant. It's very welcoming from my experience.

I said *design*. Not conditions.

I would grant you that Streamsong's conditions are superior.

Although Pine Barrens fairways were immaculate when I played there last Saturday. The greens were okay, but they really need to overhaul them because the grass isn't growing right anymore.

But from a design perspective, Pine Barrens is superior to the Red, Blue and Black. Rolling Oaks is kind of a completely different genre of design as a traditional parkland course, but it's a great design nonetheless. I'd probably take Streamsong Red over it, but not Blue and certainly not the Black course. And it's far less expensive.

The only thing is right about now World Woods starts to aerate and Streamsong does not aerate their greens.

But if World Woods was able to re-do their greens and get TifEagle installed...I would take World Woods over Streamsong any day of the week. And get 2 rounds at World Woods and 1 round at Juliette Falls and it smokes Streamsong Red, Blue and Black.

RH

I've played sand valley/mammoth. It's not similar to streamsong at all. I'd rather play 1 round at black and hang out at the clubhouse with a couple cocktails and just enjoy it.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Sorry Richie,

My response was definitely the design aspect; I don't view anything pine barren as better than streamsong outside of the practice facilities. Architecturally speaking, I think the design of the back 9 at red is as good as it'll ever get in golf.

It's ok that we disagree.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Good, spirited discussion. The only "tragedy" is that I don't have the opportunity to play ALL of these courses any time soon since I actually have work to do down there. Sure would make for a fun week, though. Guess it'll be something to look forward to on future trips to the area.

All is good. Just a couple pics for comparison in case you haven’t made up your mind. I added a pic of mammoth dunes with streamsong for some comparison. They really are not the same.

black

ippg2eq4w9po.jpeg

red

m1r0znx75qlu.jpeg

mammoth

qbw6qdjl3q79.jpeg

blue

pm38x5mwaflt.jpeg

Rolling Oaks

hfiytjfb0kao.jpeg

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my pulled rib muscle felt good enough to get in a lot of swings during my Orlando visit last week.

I decided to play Falcon's Fire on Monday morning. It was just OK. A few interesting holes, but pretty sketchy conditions. I don't play on bermuda much, but there were tons of areas just off and around the greens that were patchy with maybe 50% grass and 50% dirt/mud. It made getting up & down a miserable challenge. The fairways were soaked in some areas from an overnight shower - I'm surprised the course doesn't drain better since rain is so frequent in FL. The other kicker is that the greens were fairly slow, which contributed to the course feeling low-end. I suppose it was still worth the $38 or so that it cost, so I got in a quick 18 and moved on.

The second stop was Orange County National's Panther Lake course. That's a fun track that held my interest across more holes than FF due to its elevation changes and rolling terrain. The family of raccoons by the #1 tee that tried to jack my cart got the round off to a lively start. Once I was playing, the course was in great condition with tight fairways, manageable rough and decently quick greens. That dwarf bermuda is pretty similar to the bentgrass we have in Chicago, and I felt like I could see almost every putting line clearly. I got around the course in about 2:45 and tried to get onto Crooked Cat, but it was backed up on the first tee. So, I went back out on PL and played another 18 in less than 2:30.

So...54 holes on the day, which was able to help me get my golfing fill for the week while I was in Orlando. And, thanks to the folks here, I now have a list of about 8 more target courses to hit on future trips. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.