Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Slicefixer. Any updates? Anyone still working with him?

LowAndLeft32LowAndLeft32 Members Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

As the title implies would be interested in hearing if anyone is still working with Geoff and is anyone is still improving using his teachings. Thanks.

Comments

• jholzjholz Members Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't heard much about him around here for a couple of years. I plug the Encyclopedia Texarkana occasionally and remain a huge fan of the 9-3 drill.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have his Texarkana book printed out and read it quite often. Just a wealth of information.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • LowAndLeft32LowAndLeft32 Members Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

The encyclopedia is pretty good. But his following sure seems to have died down?

• dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I still talk to Geoff regularly but not often. He's still doing his thing. Last summer he came to NJ and spent a week teaching at my club there. He also followed my daughter at the state am which was really nice of him.

I moved to FL in December, so not sure when I'll get to see him next. One thing's for certain IMO, there are not many people who possess as much knowledge about the swing and how to teach it. I wish he still contributed here

USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • elthrillelthrill Members Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Hes still booked out the a$$. Very good teacher. Knows how to get people compressing an iron about as good as anyone out there.

@elthrill good points. Do u work with Geoff?

• BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BrianMcG said:
    Well, he doesn't post here anymore. He still has a following, they just take actual lessons from him. This site is just a small microcosom that makes up less than .000000000000000001% of golfers.

No Aunty M! Say it isn’t so!!

• mission_scratchmission_scratch Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Had a chance to go visit Geoff about 6-7 years ago and had to cancel last minute. To this day, I am still bummed I didn’t get a chance to go work with him.

You should go!

Any other slicefixer students still lurking!

• mikpgamikpga www.mikedeitersgolf.com Members Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As an instructor, I spent a few days with him back in 2010 I think...
    Great experience! I consider him a great mentor, friend, and colleague...

Wow didn’t know he worked with many instructors. Thanks @mikpga

• mikpgamikpga www.mikedeitersgolf.com Members Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure he has. I have shared his Encyclopedia Texarkana with many of my colleagues, and they absolutely love it...

Just reread the encyclopedia. Good stuff!

• mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I heard from him a couple of months ago. he is well after some health issues and still teaching in Texark.

He @mocokid are you still working with Geoff?

• scoresscores scores Members Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Spoke to him on the phone about ten years ago he liked my advice / post and was a gentleman!

Driver M1
    3W M1
    Irons Mizunos 64's 3 -pw
    Putter Spider
    58 Titleist
    52 Titeist
    Hybrid 2I Adams

Ball Taylor TP

Geoff is a great guy, yeah its been about 10 years ago since he last posted. His memory is permanent at GolfWRX.

• ArnsybillArnsybill Members Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a huge fan and visited Geoff in 2013. If I was closer than Canada... I'd love to visit him 3 x annually. Great guy. Fantastic teacher. Very much helped my game.

Cheers,

• ArnsybillArnsybill Members Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 27, 2019 10:57pm #24

Yes. Good guy... Just re-watched the DVD he gave me. Tweaked my grip a bit today. Also focussed on the set up angles...

Post edited by Arnsybill on
  • liaidtonliaidton Members Posts: 2

Into my 4th year with Geoff, I've been going down for lessons 3-4 times/yr. He's the real deal, no bs. Started with him at 56 yrs/age, was tired of playing hot and cold. Hcp has dropped from 8 to 3. No short cuts, a lot of grinding. Geoff will tell you exactly what you need to do, the rest is up to you.
    Geoff's knowledge of golf swing is second to none. His ability to coach and bring out the best in a student is first rate. Now if I could just get rid of the day job and play golf 5d a week....

Awesome review @liaidton. Seeing GJ three to four times a year is a big commitment both financially and amount time but I think it’s worth it!

• mantanmantan Members Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BrianMcG said:
    Well, he doesn't post here anymore. He still has a following, they just take actual lessons from him. This site is just a small microcosom that makes up less than .000000000000000001% of golfers.

It's probably best for his sanity that he stopped. It's SO hard to convey stuff in writing. And on this board you'll end up down a rabbit hole trying to justify/explain/clarify things. I think he genuinely wants to help as many golfers he can, but this is the worst possible method to do it. He can spend literally 15 minutes crafting a clear concise post about a proper grip that 50% of people will get wrong or question. Or he can literally draw lines on a glove in 15 seconds with a student. (Which he did on my trip there.)
    The ET was considered a 'bible' of this teachings by a lot of people here. Yet he said 85% of the students who read it and saw him were doing it incorrectly.

It wasn't like he needed the business from WRX. He stays pretty busy. And IMO, his style is best for those who can see him on a regular basis

WITB (as of 3/28/19)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G25 23* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-AW
    PING Stealth ES Glide 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    PING Sigma 2 Fetch
    Callaway Chrome Soft TruVis

Anyone else that’s seen Geoff 3 or more times want to share their story and any improvement?

As I said, I haven't seen Geoff in over a year, but I still subscribe 100% to his ideology and reach out to him with questions on occassion. I primarily went to Geoff for help with my daughter when she was still a junior. She's now in her third year of college playing DI on a full-ride at a great school. Much of her success I credit to Geoff.

My improvement was mostly a side effect. Knowing due to geographic & budgetary limitations we'd only be able to see him occasionally, Geoff was selfless in teaching me what I needed to know to keep my daughter on track between visits. It was kind of a "train-the-trainer" type deal. The result was a significant transfer of knowledge that has helped me understand the golf swing and apply the elements required to continue to improve. He really is a great friend at this point, not just a coach.

Anyway, I'm 51, and recently moved to FL from NJ. I still do my 9 to 3s and employ all of Geoff's fundamentals. My swing doesnt necessarily look like those of his top juniors, but a trained eye would note the basic elements. I did not play golf as a kid, started in my late 20s.

I have 4 bogey free rounds this year including a round last week where I hit all 18 greens in regulation and shot 66. Had never done that before (18 GIRs). Prior to seeing Geoff I was a perennial 6-7 HC. I've since won several club championships and have done reasonably well in some State and local tournaments and even tried for the US Senior Open this year (shot 77 in qualifying 😰). Next revision I'll likely be in plus territory (currently 0). I'm pretty confident there aren't too many out there who have made that significant of an improvement between the ages of 44-51 😊! Credit & props to Slicefixer.

WITB:
    Taylormade TP5X Ball

Nice work @dpb5031. You and your daughter sure have seen a ton of great improvement. Hopefully, I can get some similar type of improvement!! But, alot of work needs to be done.

@LowAndLeft32 said:
    Nice work @dpb5031. You and your daughter sure have seen a ton of great improvement. Hopefully, I can get some similar type of improvement!! But, alot of work needs to be done.

Thanks, and yes, I'd say we're both Slicefixer success stories to varying degrees.

In terms of improving, I would say the keys are: conceptual understanding, attention to detail, quality reps, patience, and perseverance. Most guys I know won't even put in the time and attention to detail to simply get their grip right, let alone the rest of it. Most revert back to "what feels comfortable " as soon as they step foot on the course, thus never making much progress. Kids are much more malleable, and Geoff does a wonderful job of bringing them along systematically.

WITB:
    Taylormade TP5X Ball

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file