Why cant one brand be the best for you?

rkelso184

There are so many "play mixed bags" "one brand can't offer the best in every category for you" comments these days it makes me wonder.

Why cant one brand be the best for you from tee to green? With the way fittings are and the amount of products the big boys have on offer I just don't see how one brand can't actually make something work in every category. I can understand off the shelf but to I'm sure if every company fit you for there best driver combo with shaft, head, loft, swing weight etc and you were to try them all side by side I can't imagine much difference at all? Sure there are looks and sound but I'm just talking performance here.

> @rkelso184 said:

> There are so many "play mixed bags" "one brand can't offer the best in every category for you" comments these days it makes me wonder.

>

> Why cant one brand be the best for you from tee to green? With the way fittings are and the amount of products the big boys have on offer I just don't see how one brand can't actually make something work in every category. I can understand off the shelf but to I'm sure if every company fit you for there best driver combo with shaft, head, loft, swing weight etc and you were to try them all side by side I can't imagine much difference at all? Sure there are looks and sound but I'm just talking performance here.

Well, you can definitely make an entire bag with product from one OEM. It's really just preference. Why stick with one?

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I’m almost a one brand guy (Ping), except for driver, which is Adams. I have enough drivers lying around . . . don’t think about buying a new one.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

The more willing you are to get things built custom the easier it'd be. I do think that most players could game a full set from one manufacturer if they just spent some time and committed to. For example, I personally don't think there's much difference between the premium balls. I think the big manufacturer's all make a great wedge that'd be easy to play. Everyone makes a "players iron" or SGI.

I'm mostly ping. G400 iron and Glide stealth wedges. When I upgraded my fairway woods I hit Epic Flash, Cobra F9, TM M5 & M6, Ping G410... I didn't like the G410's at all. I think it was a combination of the shallow club height and the D0 swingweight. I couldn't feel the head very well and I was always concerned I'd sky ball mark the head with it being so shallow and me having a pretty aggressive negative angle of attack. Get the right shaft, swight D2-D3 and a few weeks of practice and I bet I could game those fairways no problem. But just spending 1.5 hours in the GG hitting bay... the Epic Flash just fit me. Center contact, high, straight, etc... so why go through the hassle of trying to get G410's made for me when I have something (Epic Flash) that I know I like?

But yes, I don't think it'd be too hard to game everything from one manufacturer.

> @RacineBoxer said:

> The more willing you are to get things built custom the easier it'd be. I do think that most players could game a full set from one manufacturer if they just spent some time and committed to. For example, I personally don't think there's much difference between the premium balls. I think the big manufacturer's all make a great wedge that'd be easy to play. Everyone makes a "players iron" or SGI.

>

> I'm mostly ping. G400 iron and Glide stealth wedges. When I upgraded my fairway woods I hit Epic Flash, Cobra F9, TM M5 & M6, Ping G410... I didn't like the G410's at all. I think it was a combination of the shallow club height and the D0 swingweight. I couldn't feel the head very well and I was always concerned I'd sky ball mark the head with it being so shallow and me having a pretty aggressive negative angle of attack. Get the right shaft, swight D2-D3 and a few weeks of practice and I bet I could game those fairways no problem. But just spending 1.5 hours in the GG hitting bay... the Epic Flash just fit me. Center contact, high, straight, etc... so why go through the hassle of trying to get G410's made for me when I have something (Epic Flash) that I know I like?

> But yes, I don't think it'd be too hard to game everything from one manufacturer.

>

100% agree on this... it can go many different ways, but for the average player it makes more sense to try all the different options and find what works... even Phil played a Taylor made at one point, and Calloway bought his soul back from the devil if I remember the story correctly.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Not that hard if you like the products.

I’m Titleist because I love the more traditional look of the TS3 series woods, the AP2’s are a forgiving iron that looks great to my eye at address, and Vokey wedges to me are the best wedges on the market.

If. I wasn’t pissed off at my Newport right now I’d be completely Titleist.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

> @rkelso184 said:

> There are so many "play mixed bags" "one brand can't offer the best in every category for you" comments these days it makes me wonder.

>

> Why cant one brand be the best for you from tee to green? With the way fittings are and the amount of products the big boys have on offer I just don't see how one brand can't actually make something work in every category. I can understand off the shelf but to I'm sure if every company fit you for there best driver combo with shaft, head, loft, swing weight etc and you were to try them all side by side I can't imagine much difference at all? Sure there are looks and sound but I'm just talking performance here.

The diffence is so small do what you want. They are all so good.

I think yes it may be true to fit into one OEM but I know many, including me who are picky in looks as well. Also for me some club offerings have better gappings and with adjustability you are having to open/close faces sometimes to get your loft which for me is not ideal. I have a friend who plays all PING except driver. He cannot stand the look of the crown.

Have had all Ping pre 2002. Being a Mizuno Iron fan and a V Steel and T.E.E fairway fan its a bit tuff to run One Brand.Easiest one brand for me would be Titleist with 695mb irons and 906 fairways and 983E or 905T.☺

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I think most people could be all one brand if they really wanted to be. It would just be a matter of having every combination to try to completely exhaust your approach and ensure that it was truly the best. At one time, I went completely Cobra (except for the wedges and putter as at that time they didn't have any on offer), every year I seriously contemplate going all Ping as I think they make a fantastic product and they are easy to hit. However, as someone said above...nobody is paying us to play their gear unless you are a certified PGA member, so why stick with one manufacturer if you're trying to shoehorn it to make it work. I'd much rather stand up knowing that this brand is the best for me on this type of club so I can make a more confident swing.

I found that being brand loyal fell in two categories when I worked golf retail. Your die hard loyalists that could actually hit a ball are ALWAYS Titleist loyalists and when you are a Titleist guy, you live and breathe it. It's blasphemous to even look at something else. I'd see guys come in year after year and buy the new Camerons, the new wedges, the whatever without trying it and then I'd see them again when the new iteration came out. Interestingly, while this is highly generalist, I found a lot of Korean immigrants were very loyal to Callaway and preferred these over a lot of the other brands while Taylormade was a close second. For your average weekend warrior "loyalist", they are always Taylormade. Far and away the amount of guys who shot 95+ and golfed 5-10x a year coming in were bee-lining straight to the Taylormade rack and wanted to hit nothing else.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

I have only had two putters in the last 30 years and for some reason that is the one club that could hold me back from a single brand. I really love the idea of being one just because it would look cool IMO with bag and all clubs from the same OEM. I can change irons and woods just like socks, but wedges and putter?? If I were to go one, it would be Titleist. Having said that, my current bag is only Titleist with the wedges. I could also play all Ping now that the BP is coming (I think I could play them). Ping is not my favorite with anything, but I can find something in every spot from Ping that would be top 5.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Well, on the one hand products are optimized to such a degree now that there's a lot of commonality. That means you can definitely be fit well within just a single brand of clubs.

But there's also a ton of options which are all relatively easy to track down. That makes it possible to find something outside your preferred OEM's line that you might prefer one the basis of looks, feel or performance.

I don't think I'd knock either route these days.

I play TaylorMade woods and Titleist irons/wedges. For me, the hybrids are kind of a crap-shoot. Not only is it hard to find a hybrid that checks all the boxes but the newer ones are getting up into the $250+ range which is really kind of expensive.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I think a lot of it is the perceived "poser" stigma that attaches to having all single OEM, especially if it's all current or last generation gear. Even more so if it's loaded into a matching staff bag and you're wearing a brand hat. That, or the assumption that a person just went out and bought a set without putting any thought into it.

Ping G410 9*
Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
Ping i210 4-U
Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
Ping Anser 85029 Dalehead
Srixon Z-Star or Q-Star tour depending on conditions

... Going to Demo Day at the PGA Show every year can be a real eye opener. While most of us could play a bag from one OEM there are just so many options out there. Take 3 woods for example. Most all of them today are good for performance but some launch higher/lower with more/less spin. And then personal preference comes into play. I loved the look, feel and sound of the Cobra F9 fw more than any other I hit. When many are close in performance looking down at a head that is the shape and color you love, provides the best feel and sound, and gives you the trajectory and spin you like, there would be no reason to stick with your favorite Oem the makes a head that is too loud/dull and doesn't look perfect at address and launches higher/lower than you like. Of course the same is true for all the clubs in your bag.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

> @ratdg1 said:

> I think a lot of it is the perceived "poser" stigma that attaches to having all single OEM, especially if it's all current or last generation gear. Even more so if it's loaded into a matching staff bag and you're wearing a brand hat. That, or the assumption that a person just went out and bought a set without putting any thought into it.

I think there’s more poser stigma” with a bag with a TM driver, Callaway or Titleist Woods, Titleist or Mizuno irons, Vokey wedges and a Cameron putter than an all one brand bag

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Every time I have gone to my fitting place and work with a fitter I tell them I will buy what I hit best. It's always worked well for me and since no one pays me to play their clubs I see no reason to be loyal to a brand. A couple months ago I got fitted for a new driver and said I was really interested in the Cobra F9 but I never would of guessed I would've walked out ordering a Ping G410Plus. I couldn't get the Cobra to give me good numbers and I also tested EpicFlash/SubZero, M5/6, TS2/3. The M6 was 2nd place but my dispersion and distance were by far the best with the Ping.

> @Bad9 said:

> > @ratdg1 said:

> > I think a lot of it is the perceived "poser" stigma that attaches to having all single OEM, especially if it's all current or last generation gear. Even more so if it's loaded into a matching staff bag and you're wearing a brand hat. That, or the assumption that a person just went out and bought a set without putting any thought into it.

>

> I think there’s more poser stigma” with a bag with a TM driver, Callaway or Titleist Woods, Titleist or Mizuno irons, Vokey wedges and a Cameron putter than an all one brand bag

Nah. All Taylormade is one notch above it all. Especially if you’re all Adidas apparel too. And they’re out there.

Scientific fact that it’s impossible to play best with all one brand. There’s always one club that “ just works “ and doesn’t match.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Edward_Majorwin said:

> I ain't sponsored by anyone so I prefer to date a few brands at the same time. Variety is the spice of life, yeah!

Yep. If some company wanted to sponsor me, I'm sure I could like everything they offer. But if I am buying, I'm looking for the best combo of something I really like + affordable. That means I usually end up mixing and matching. Found some Callaway Mac Daddy wedges for a good deal on here. Mizuno MP-30's for cheap on ebay. A new Adams XTD driver on closeout. Really hard to get the same value if you were limited to just one brand.

I play one brand and it is Ping. My logic might seem strange but by staying with one brand, I only get new clubs every 2 years which is based on the release cycle. Irons last year and woods and hybrids this. Being a club ho in transition, this has saved a ton on my wallet and I usually play better as I don’t go through the club adjustments as often.

> @rkelso184 said:

> Ok alot of "no one pays me to play there gear" comments. But what if you are offered a discount for spending so much on the one brand? Example you go in and buy a whole TaylorMade bag after a fitting and because your buying so much TaylorMade product they offer a discount, free balls or something similar?

I tend to look for the last season or two offerings. Buying in good used condition. I doubt they could give me a big enough discount to be a better deal than what I get by buying different brands here and there. If you were looking at, TM, for example. You'd already be in for 800 bucks between a new driver and three wood. For 800 bucks I could get an entire setup, including the bag.

For me its because the one brand that works best for me don't make clubs any more, so when I bought a hybrid earlier in the season I had to go elsewhere if I wanted to get fitted.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

For me, it’s based on the personal specific & aspect of feel - especially for the driver spot. The sound and setup position of the driver is important to me and I’ve found that remaining open to different brands has led me to consistently finding the best club to suit my tastes with each new iteration.

However, I’ve been consistent with other brands in my bag - Mizuno irons, Titleist fairway, wedges, & putter.

I think the whole theory can work well in brand loyalty and mixed bags, but it’s imperative to remain open minded to new brands in order to play your best golf.

I’m Cobra driver and 3 wood and Bridgestone iron and wedges at the moment. Been a Cobra wood guy for about 8 years now. I try some others but they just work for me and I love they way they sit at address. Tried some of there irons and they are great but never really fit my eye and didn’t fall for them. The Xcb’s I have really fit my eye and feel great. I’ve used J38 and J40 in the past and had great results. I seem to always be kinda like I am now. About 2-3 brands in the bag....I don’t think at any point I have ever been one brand for the whole bag. I tinker too much for that. But that’s one thing I’ve always enjoyed is tinkering with equipment.

qs4xqiu0ti2k.jpeg

Hence the 5 extra shafts that seem to be in the bag more than they are not and the 3 extra cobra driver heads not seem in the pic.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

I play all Taylormade and have since about 2006ish. I’m a huge tiger fan going back forever but never bought any nike stuff so he has nothing to do with my choice (although it’s icing on the cake now). I think originally I started with TM woods and just liked them so much I stuck with the brand when upgrading the rest of my bag. I also had a friend that was a mini tour player that played all TM stuff. But besides all that at this point it’s a familiarity thing. I know the brand well and it’s been proven on tour with a lot of the worlds best players so I really don’t plan to switch. I don’t however use a TM bag or or TM affiliated cloth. I actually do have an Under Armour VIP account from coaching football for a UA sponsored school. So anything UA golf I can get I use. Although I do have a TM hat but I typically don’t wear that on the course bc I agree it’s a bit overkill.

Now another interesting note is that my best friend had a mixed bag that dated back to To his HS golf team nearly 20 years ago. He recently picked the game back up and just upgraded everything with Taylormade products. Not really sure why honestly. He got an m5 first then ordered the P7TW’s and just filled out the rest of his bag while he was at it. He also has the UA VIP so we probably look like a couple of tools out there! Ha